Awoo.

I Hope You Weren't Wanting A New F-Zero....

Patticus

My understanding is, as mods, people look to you as examples of how to act and as points of authority. It would appear disingenuous and even dangerous to purposefully leave out a quote that could alter people's view and, along with the structure of the thread itself, even incense members into unnecessary arguments.

You are welcome to hold whatever view you feel, but as mods, ensuring that all discourse remains respectful and people remain informed, even about things you don't agree with or don't align with your point of view, when things could go sour without it, seems vital to me. That's what sets mods apart from normal users to me; the ability to be impartial, even when you don't want to be, all in the name of keeping things fair and respectful.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do you figure? He can't be barely involved with the creation of new games for most of Nintendo's IPs as so many in this thread have asserted and still make it his business whether one of those IPs are justified having a new game.

As one of the main creative forces behind the series initially (as well as the majority of the companies IPs) I think he has the authority to say he doesn't know what direction they would take with the series. He isn't saying that the series is dead or that he doesn't ever want to revisit it (or that no one at Nintendo ever wants to revisit it), but that they're a little lost where to go. I think at the very least he's allowed to say that. People are turning a really vague statement into an end-all statement of the series.

What I meant by "making it his business" was that he should be able to express his opinion openly on where a series should go that he helped create. I mean, Miyamoto barely said anything in that article, positive or negative, and he's still getting crucified for that. It's overkill.

Edited by The Kid
  • Thumbs Up 3

This may be exactly why Nintendo are hoping to expand and get more teams working on projects, so that they can get out their money-makers while also allowing new and older IP's to receive some focus. It's clear that they are struggling to do it all and when push comes to shove, it's riskier franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox that take the fall because they aren't what Nintendo can afford to focus on at times like these.

Again, the fact that F-Zero was featured in Nintendoland suggests to me that Nintendo have far from forgotten about it, it's just not their focus right now.

• Thumbs Up 4

My understanding is, as mods, people look to you as examples of how to act and as points of authority. It would appear disingenuous and even dangerous to purposefully leave out a quote that could alter people's view and, along with the structure of the thread itself, even incense members into unnecessary arguments.

You are welcome to hold whatever view you feel, but as mods, ensuring that all discourse remains respectful and people remain informed, even about things you don't agree with or don't align with your point of view, when things could go sour without it, seems vital to me. That's what sets mods apart from normal users to me; the ability to be impartial, even when you don't want to be, all in the name of keeping things fair and respectful.

And since I don't believe the quote Carbo posted is material with the statement that has been being debated from the OP (nor have you actually defended why you think it is changes the excerpt in the OP to the extent that you are claiming it was disingenuous for it to be left out even after I explained exactly why I don't believe the full interview changes anything), I don't find your point to have merit. Simply repeating the "you should be a role model" concept doesn't change anything when you have failed to justify the viewpoint that by not including the full interview in the OP or bringing it up later either me or Patticus failed in respect to the duties we should perform as a member of the site staff.

I also feel you are way out of line to implicate Patticus or myself or anyone in this thread for intentionally withholding information to further arguments. You tried to claim I was "shifting blame" for (presumably) letting unnecessary arguments sprout up in this thread, so let me ask you: When does the onus on being informed in a topic start being on the people who were being so passionate about it? Do you really think it is too much to assume on my part that someone who is commenting on a thread about a linked news story actually read that story? Because if so I'll certainly take that into account when dealing with members in the future.

• Thumbs Up 5

Tornado I am trying to be really careful how I respond as I do not want to implicate myself in anyway that would come off as deserving a warning or ban, but I do feel that I have remained very respectful given that it hasn't been easy to explain my point. Is it considered against the rules to bring mods into question? If you feel I have broken some rule by calling your judgement into question then please, by all means, act upon it. I understand that that is your position as a mod to do so, if I have broken any rules. Perhaps I simply misunderstand how this forum treats its mod positions, for which I apologise. It's nice to understand for the future.

As to my point: I feel that the topic's very title is designed to incense members who would read it, which seems poorly chosen to me, especially if it were a mod who created it. If a later part of the same interview even mentions F-Zero by name along with the intent to hire more teams then that could just as easily negate what was garnered from the original quote. It's very clear, if not at conception, but at the very least a few pages in, that this thread could easily have transformed into an excuse to rant at a perceived threat rather than a necessarily legitimate one. Providing people with the information from that second quote could have been vital in changing the course of the thread, and in fact, it seems you and I have spent more time since it was raised questioning its legitimacy as an important element to the thread than people have even commenting on or debating the original quote. That suggests to me that perhaps it may have had an effect on people's views.

I do think that your own personal view is making it difficult for you to remain objective, and perhaps that is why you do not consider my view and that of people who share it with me, nor my concerns at your being a mod influencing the discussion.

Edited by EuroMIX

Alright how the fuck did this conversation go the way it did? I don't see what Tornado being a mod has to do with anything and I really don't see what it is about his initial post that is out of line or is worth calling him out on it. You're being an ass by putting him on the spot and talking abut how "mods should provide an example for members," which is hypocrisy if I ever heard it, considering several other members' tones in this topic that no one seems to have any issue with.

Learn to take your own advice before you tell us mods how to conduct ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sean, I only responded after Tornado pointed out my "LOL" comment. He put me on the spot so I responded.

Can I ask how it is hypocritical to expect mods to act more appropriately than normal members given the weight the position holds? I would obviously prefer it if all members acted and treated each other better, but I would say that mods leading by example would be a good way to encourage such behaviour.

Edited by EuroMIX

Tornado did not put you on the spot. You're doing that to him by using his status as moderator to divert attention from his main point. You're also completely full of yourself, with comments like "I'm trying to carefully word what I say so that I don't get a warning or ban." You are using his mod status as a shield, and it's pathetic. Added to the fact that you are implying Patticus is purposefully misconstructing the facts to argue for a certain point, suggesting that it's abuse of one's status as a mod, you strike me as incredibly hypocritical considering the only one twisting the facts right now is you.

• Thumbs Up 2

You have not informed me that I have broken any rules, nor warned or banned me, instead you have derided and insulted me. I have not insulted anyone directly, only asked questions and discussed. I may not have asked the nicest questions, but I never intended any ill will from them, only understanding.

I'm actually crying right now because I feel that I have been misjudged and my intent misinterpreted. I'm sorry that I see things that make me uncomfortable and ask questions. I apologise if I upset anyone because I don't understand how best to voice my questions and concerns. I certainly didn't wish to be addressed in this way.

I think perhaps I should leave. I feel you would be happier without me. I'm sorry for coming back.

Edited by EuroMIX

As to my point: I feel that the topic's very title is designed to incense members who would read it, which seems poorly chosen to me, especially if it were a mod who created it. If a later part of the same interview even mentions F-Zero by name along with the intent to hire more teams then that could just as easily negate what was garnered from the original quote. It's very clear, if not at conception, but at the very least a few pages in, that this thread could easily have transformed into an excuse to rant at a perceived threat rather than a necessarily legitimate one.

This is an awfully lot of "coulds" considering you leveled the direct implication that Patticus by making the thread the way he did and myself for not correcting information (that people could and should have discerned for themselves before commenting and that I didn't feel needed correcting) purposely withheld information from the people in the thread in order to further misconceptions and prop up the validity of our own arguments.

Providing people with the information from that second quote could have been vital in changing the course of the thread, and in fact, it seems you and I have spent more time since it was raised questioning its legitimacy as an important element to the thread than people have even commenting on or debating the original quote. That suggests to me that perhaps it may have had an effect on people's views.

Except I'm responding because you felt fit to claim that by not letting people know of the text of the full interview (that, again, was linked to), that I had failed at one of my duties as a moderator; then went on to say when questioned that my failure to act as a moderator was deliberate for the purposes of furthering my arguments in the thread. That is an attack on my character, even moreso since you've gone out of your way to ignore my attempts to defend myself mostly by just repeating the same "you're a mod so you should act better" line that I had already responded to. The topic of the thread is irrelevant at this point.

I do think that your own personal view is making it difficult for you to remain objective, and perhaps that is why you do not consider my view and that of people who share it with me, nor my concerns at your being a mod influencing the discussion.

That's fair enough. I feel that your own failure to provide the information yourself if you felt it was material as you now claim it to be, probably because you yourself most certainly did not read the full interview that was linked in the OP, is why you've decided to latch onto Carbo's quote as a rallying point for why most of the thread was unnecessary even though you haven't actually justified that position when asked to do so after it was explained to you why I didn't feel it was necessary to "correct."

Sean, I only responded after Tornado pointed out my "LOL" comment. He put me on the spot so I responded.

I responded to your comment because you yourself treated the quote as a revelation, implying no one was aware of it until Carbo posted it and thus the arguments to that point were moot.

Can I ask how it is hypocritical to expect mods to act more appropriately than normal members given the weight the position holds?

Because you have repeatedly failed to explain why my or Patticus' behavior was inappropriate, repeatedly avoided answering questions asked of you for why things should have been done differently, and instead repeatedly increased the seriousness of your accusations, going from "the omission of the final quote could be seen as disingenuous" to "the deliberate omission of important information is disingenuous and possibly dangerous" to "the entire thread down to the topic title was a failure of the moderation staff to act impartial and inform members of pertinent information, and the fact that this discussion exists is proof of that."

Whatever this argument is should probably be saved for a PM or something if we want to further discuss it. I think it's really ran it's course here now and should get back on the actual topic at hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

So...how about that hypothetical F-Zero game!

I guess if there's enough demand, Nintendo could test the waters by porting F-Zero GX to the Wii U Virtual Console with some enhanced features to accommodate the Wii U GamePad.

Edited by Yeow95

Port it with online play and a higher resolution.

That's seriously all I ask for. A full-blown sequel would be amazing and a huge reason for me to drop down money for a Wii U, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Port it with online play and a higher resolution.

That's seriously all I ask for. A full-blown sequel would be amazing and a huge reason for me to drop down money for a Wii U, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Yup, same here.

I actually would rather this HD remake be made and released this Fall, than the Windwaker HD we're getting instead.

Edited by canderson

Yup, same here.

I actually would rather this HD remake be made and released this Fall, than the Windwaker HD we're getting instead.

I can somewhat agree to this (but only because I have wind waker already anyway) sides I think wind wakers a lot more known than GX is.

GX actually already natively plays in 16:9 and 480p. All they'd have to do is give it a resolution bump and put in online play.