Awoo.

Independence Day: Resurgence "Today we celebrate our Jeff Goldblum

Badnik Mechanic

Ok some people on here will be too young to remember just how big the first movie was when it first came out back in... christ.... 1996.

Jesus Christ! I was only 11 years old! And life was good back then. =(

Anyway, to give you people an idea as to how big this movie was, aside from being a blockbuster success.... there were action figures which came with PC games, you could even buy a ruined new york playset, a PSX game (it was terrible), spinoff books, theres even a BBC radio 1 drama which looks at the invasion from the UK perspective and features cameos from the late Patrick Moore & the Radio 1 hosts at the time.

The casting on this one was also really clever, you had Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch and even Brent Spiner appears in a 'slightly better than a cameo role...'

Oh yeah and... some guy named Will Smith was also in it.

Now... looking back, it's obvious why this was a success. The story itself is basically a huge rip off of The War Of the Worlds... theres giant chunks just ripped from it. Even down to the 'Three men approached the visitors, waving flags as a sign of friendship, when suddenly each was turned to fires' Oh yes and 'We killed the aliens using a virus.' It did as well as it did, because this was a time when CGI was being used in a lot of stuff, and Independence Day was one of the few movies at the time that actually used it really well. When we saw the White House explode in that movie, nobody had EVER seen anything like it before... except for me, I'd watched Terminator 2.

Anyway, it was an effects movie. The story isn't that great.

However, it's all wrapped up. Theres no really any loose ends. The aliens arrive, they attack, Will Smith & Jeff Goldblum save the world, and we're told by Bill Pullman that it's "Their entire civilization" and we're also told that "We got em' beat!"

Effectively, the threat is gone...

Which is why 17 years later we're getting a sequel!?

Now the sequel has been on and off for years, in fact at one point Will Smith said he wouldn't do it because "I don't do sequels"... man that policy certainly stuck didn't it?

Anyway, it seems that Fox has actually green lit not one but 2 potential sequels and Emmerich is down to direct again (although these may end up being merged into one single film).

And we also have plot details!

“The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back. And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.”

It gets better...

It’s a changed world. It’s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don’t know how to duplicate it because it’s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane.”

So basically, the invasion is still on, the aliens arrived and said 'nice planet we'll take it' they sent a message to the rest of their fleet which was 'bring on the battleships' So they destroyed the White House and made Jeff Goldblum's day more of a problem... but get defeated in 3 days.

However, whilst this is happening, the rest of the alien fleet is in a wormhole coming to earth.

Meanwhile... in the time this is happening, Earth has aged by around 20 years... humans have re-built and have adapted alien technology into their own.

So we have basically... Upgraded humanity Vs the main weaponry of the aliens?

Well... it might not be as silly as it sounds...?

http://screenrant.com/independence-day-2-sequel-plot-details/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/20/independence-day-2-becomes-official-as-fox-announce-its-release-date/

Edit: *looks at where I posted this* Oh dear... ... erm... A special no prize if you can name what SSMB forum I 'Should' have posted this in.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3

oh my GOD.

I loved Independence Day. Wasn't the /best/ but it was quite a great film.

and now we get a sequel

yus

Hot off the heels of Bill Pullman's failed sitcom where the entire joke was that he was President, Fox announces ID4 2 where he's no longer President!

I call that progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know how to feel about this.  Seems like sequelitis lately, what with other good films like Jurassic Park green lit for sequels.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes, especially since it seems they're actively taking into consideration the length of time that's elapsed since the first. But I won't hold my breath; sequels tend to be hit or miss depending on how they're handled.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jurassic Park green lit for sequels

Hence the title.

Wonder how many other movies which starred Jeff Goldblum will get a random sequel between now and the end of 2015?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

Loved the first one, it was such a good popcorn flick.

• Thumbs Up 9

Hey, fox, if you're kind enough to green light two new Independence Day Movies, why not greenlight the third X Files 3 movie while you're at it???!!!!

we're just twiddling our fingers now, really.

Edited by AzureHedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked the first one, but I don't see how a sequel would work. It sounds kinda iffy so far, but meh... I'll see how it goes.

I loved the first movie. I couldn't care less what the Critics think I still enjoy this film its probably my favourite Roland Emmerich film . If they get Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum involved I will be a happy man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7px6MfvCv8E

"OH MY GOD!, OH MY GOD! I better call my brother! my housekeeper! my lawyer! Nah, forget my lawyer!".

Edited by BW199148

I remember this film. It's cool.

As for a sequel... I don't know. It might work out. Then again, it could be a flop if not handled right.

Why, Hollywood why.

Original film was neat as an effects extravaganza, sure, but does it really need a sequel?

Loving the fact they set it so many years in the future... essentially negates the need for most of the original cast! tongue.png Also lines up perfectly with it being 19 years since the original come release time.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Yeah this could super awesome and then it could be bad. Any who, I hope its great, love the first one.

Eh. I like the first part with the alien invasion and blowing shit up, but everything past then is just a typical action movie.

Not sure what to make of the sequel, but it is a loooooooong time since the last one. (Hogfather I think I was 11 too! OH EM GEE we're old! XD)

Also if we're talking Jeff Goldblum films, I'd like to see a modern day The Fly! XD

Edited by MamboCat

Not a massive fan of the first one, mind you I've not seen it since I was about seven....

I like that they're setting it in an alternate world, an alien invasion would totally change the world we live in, I'm glad they've realised that.

But at the end of the day..what? The aliens come back and Will smith kills them again? Meh...

If they get Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum involved I will be a happy man.

Well you are not going to be a happy man.

The aliens come back and Will smith kills them again?

Nope:

IGN News - Will Smith Not Returning For Independence Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT5eTR654tI

Roland Emmerich has revealed why Will Smith, who starred in the original Independence Day, will not be returning for the upcoming sequel.

An open casting call for the Steven Hiller role revealed this man to be in the front running:

tumblr_lgez4fMR5q1qb8ifio1_500.png

Saw and loved the original, so I'm definitely positive towards the sequel. the fact that Will Smith isn't in the movie doesn't bother me, but the reason that he isn't does.

'Too expensive' says Emerrich.

bullshit2_zpsf4a1ddd4.jpg

Edited by Death the Kid

Roland Emmerich saying too expensive? What talk is this? blink.png

the fact that Will Smith isn't in the movie doesn't bother me, but the reason that he isn't does.

'Too expensive' says Emerrich.

bullshit2_zpsf4a1ddd4.jpg

Why? As surprisingly well as the movie has held up to this day even compared to similar films from even only a handful of years ago, the original Independence Day was not a particularly expensive movie at the time. Fox put it together the year after Warner Bros. spent a hundred million dollars on squeezing Val Kilmer into a batsuit and the year before they spent $140 million on making Batman on Ice. A year after Universal used 175 million for Kevin Costner to be able to go jet skiing, the same year that Amblin spent 90 million having Bill Paxton drive a red Dodge Ram around, and a year before Fox dumped 200 million into sinking a boat.

ID4 in comparison used a bunch of not-quite-A-List-but-close stars and built the movie around them, the after effects managing to launch Will Smith (and thus his salary demands) way above the recognition of everyone else in the movie. That ID4 managed to make its budget back over 10 times was insane at the time, but that doesn't mean that a 20-years-later pair of sequels would; so why wouldn't they ask whether having Will Smith back was seriously worth him wanting what amounted to 2/3rds of the entirety of the budget of the original?

Why? As surprisingly well as the movie has held up to this day even compared to similar films from even only a handful of years ago, the original Independence Day was not a particularly expensive movie at the time. Fox put it together the year after Warner Bros. spent a hundred million dollars on squeezing Val Kilmer into a batsuit and the year before they spent $140 million on making Batman on Ice. A year after Universal used 175 million for Kevin Costner to be able to go jet skiing, the same year that Amblin spent 90 million having Bill Paxton drive a red Dodge Ram around, and a year before Fox dumped 200 million into sinking a boat.

ID4 in comparison used a bunch of not-quite-A-List-but-close stars and built the movie around them, the after effects managing to launch Will Smith (and thus his salary demands) way above the recognition of everyone else in the movie. That ID4 managed to make its budget back over 10 times was insane at the time, but that doesn't mean that a 20-years-later pair of sequels would; so why wouldn't they ask whether having Will Smith back was seriously worth him wanting what amounted to 2/3rds of the entirety of the budget of the original?

Sorry that was a joke which you just killed (joke Emmerich mostly does Big Budget Blockbusters so you would think expense wouldn't be a option was sarcastic and meant to be ironic) should of been more clear there. 

I do see the logic behind it. After Earth tanked and the big deal about that film was that Will Smith was in and Emmerich has seen what has happened and maybe he is worried that something might happen. Who knows.

As long as a couple of actors from the first film reappear *Cough Jeff Goldblum*. I can live without Will Smith featuring. I just hope it has similar impact as first one did.smile.png

Edited by BW199148

'Independence Day 2': Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum to return

Roland Emmerich confirms the duo will be reprising their roles in the sequel

Will Smith may be too expensive for "Independence Day 2" - but Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum certainly aren't.

Roland Emmerich has confirmed that both actors are returning for the recently-announced sci-fi sequel, with Pullman reprising his role as President (now ex-President) Whitmore and Goldblum back as quirky computer expert/chess lover David Levinson. The news was revealed during a Q&A moderated by Movies.com at an Apple Store in New York City on Monday night.

"Independence Day 2" is slated for release on July 3, 2015.

Source: http://www.hitfix.com/news/independence-day-2-bill-pullman-and-jeff-goldblum-returning#RdIgyzE1bFHZdoOV.99

Goldblum: They're back and this time they're... errr.. they're... ahhhh... they're brought BIGGER ships and they're coming through wormholes and... and... ahhhh... ah... this time our virus won't work... because ahhh ahhh... Now they're running Aliens 8.1 and ahhh ahhh it comes with a free malware scanner and ahhh ahhh, Will smith is too expensive now to save the day and errr... ahhhh... I can't fly the plane... But I have chased a T-Rex through San Francisco!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 year later...

Brent Spiner, the guy who played Data in Star Trek, who was the crazy scientist in the first movie has confirmed he has a role in the movie.

http://herocollector.com/article/brent-spiner-for-independence-day-2?utm_source=FB+&utm_medium=Post+&utm_campaign=HeroContent

Current cast: Joey King (girl from Oz great and powerful), Jeff Goldblum, Liam Hemsworth, Jessie Usher, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Vivica A. Fox, and Travis Tope.

Release Date: June 24, 2016

So Independence Day is a guilty pleasure of mine and I'm really sad to hear that Will Smith won't be in it. For me, him and Jeff Goldblum MADE the film and while it's nice that the latter is back it would've been great to see the former too. ;-; Oh well, here's hoping it's a decent enough sequel.

Goldblum: They're back and this time they're... errr.. they're... ahhhh... they're brought BIGGER ships and they're coming through wormholes and... and... ahhhh... ah... this time our virus won't work... because ahhh ahhh... Now they're running Aliens 8.1 and ahhh ahhh it comes with a free malware scanner and ahhh ahhh, Will smith is too expensive now to save the day and errr... ahhhh... I can't fly the plane... But I have chased a T-Rex through San Francisco!

I know this is old but it was San Diego actually. =P