Awoo.

Theory on why Shadow is so much like Sonic

McNarrow

Sonic Adventure 2 & Shadow the Hedgehog explain why and how Shadow was created, but it did not explain why he is a Hedgehog, I have my theory on this.

From Sonic Battles we know that Gerald Robotnik has studied ancient civilisation, the Chaos 0 like creatures on the Ark are another proof of that. So maybe when he was trying to create his ultimate lifeforme he found this :

Super_Tails_-_Sonic_3_%26_Knuckles_-_Hid

Gerald didn't know it was a prophecy talking about Eggman vs Super-Sonic, he probably thought it was a prophecy about him creating Shadow. That's why Shadow is a Hedgehog, or at least it's my theory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arf, I didn't know that other had found that theory, but since it's so logical it's not so surprising.

Or maybe Gerald Robotnik is really Eggman from the future who warped to the past!

DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN!

That theory is much more fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

..Wow. A fan theory that makes sense. Just...wow.

The only thing that baffles me is... how would Gerald accidently stumble across a mural hidden inside a Hidden Palace in which the most powerful sacred objects in the universe are held?

..Wow. A fan theory that makes sense. Just...wow.

The only thing that baffles me is... how would Gerald accidently stumble across a mural hidden inside a Hidden Palace in which the most powerful sacred objects in the universe are held?

The whole existence of Hidden Palace can be brought into question by the Emerald Altar, which has seemingly replaced it in the game canon. But if Gerald built a complete replica of the Altar, it's not far-fetched to believe he may have seen Hidden Palace in the process (if it's still considered to be canon).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2 & Shadow the Hedgehog explain why and how Shadow was created, but it did not explain why he is a Hedgehog, I have my theory on this.

From Sonic Battles we know that Gerald Robotnik has studied ancient civilisation, the Chaos 0 like creatures on the Ark are another proof of that. So maybe when he was trying to create his ultimate lifeforme he found this :

Gerald didn't know it was a prophecy talking about Eggman vs Super-Sonic, he probably thought it was a prophecy about him creating Shadow. That's why Shadow is a Hedgehog, or at least it's my theory.

In that picture Sonic looks more like a Sea Horse than a hedgehog.

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 4

Uh, stupid question I guess but I never really understood what the big blue hand underneath the Master Emerald was.... :D I spent ages staring at this on my Mega Drive back in the day. I thought it was purty. :3

Anyways hmmm, yeah I wondered how the Ultimate Lifeform project could evolve from giant space lizard to small black and red hedgehog. I suppose maybe Gerald Robotnik had a thing for hedgehogs? Or maybe Black Doom dictated Shadow should be a hedgehog? *shrug*

I've always thought this could be a good gateway for Doctor Eggman Nega antagonizing Silver, but unless dumping him in the middle of nowhere with Sonic Rivals 2's MOTW wasn't actually their way of exiting Nega, I guess we'll never know.

Well that's a bit of a wrinkle. Personally I would doubt that Gerald was ever even on Angel Island, much less in the Hidden Palace, considering it was, y'know...legendary. But he did undeniably have information about the ancient echidnas, given the Artificial Chaos and the Cannon's Core shrine, so it's not impossible for him to have found something like the HPZ mural wherever he found information on Chaos and the shrine.

In that picture Sonic looks more like a Sea Horse than a hedgehog.

I thought he looks like a Chrysalis in that mural.

Gerald definitely had some access to Echidna mythology as Maria says in Lost Impact that "Grandfather based them (Artificial Chaos) off of a god of an ancient culture" It's not outside the realm of possibility that he discovered the Hedgehog-like figure in the mural within his research into Echidna mythology and based Shadow off of it.

There's no reason why Gerald couldn't have discovered Angel Island in his research, i mean its plausible at least.

Gerald must had been the Indiana Jones in Sonic's universe in his prime.

I bet he lead such a crazy life considering he met aliens.

Edited by Amane Nishiki
  • Thumbs Up 3

Serious talk: Has there ever been a canonical explanation for why the innermost core of the arc is designed as a replica of the Lost World ruins generally and the Emerald Altar specifically?

I know it's said in the game that the core was designed that way to harness the power of the Emeralds, but that's a pretty huge leap from making a copy of the altar to making a giant temple in the centre of a space station.

Yeah heard this theory before. It's one of my favourite fan theories. It really improves on the back story of the series in my opinion.

I have more fanon that I added to this theory. Gerald was really trying to create Chaos, because he believed it was a perfect lifeform, and that's why the Echidnas called it a god and called it Perfect Chaos. The evidence is in the artificial Chaos in the ARK, and the Biolizard. Why is it a lizard anyways? Well Chaos looks like a dragon or lizard. The Biolizard is a failed Chaos. It wasn't until Gerald saw the mural that he realized that a hedgehog could be used instead for greater effect. But there's more. What is Sonic then, and why did the Echidnas record prophecies about him? Well if you think about it Sonic is like Perfect Chaos - with the seven chaos he becomes perfect - Super Sonic. So Sonic is another perfect lifeform, and the Echidnas might have called him a god too. To wrap it up, the ancient Echidnas who feared Chaos made prophecies about another perfect lifeform. Sonic. Gerald searched for a way to make it true and so he created it in a lab. But Sonic, who the Echidnas foretold would be born, is the original hedgehog of legend.

I'd also like to add that Shadow's creation is like a twist on some early Sonic lore, how he was given speed during an accident with Dr. Kintobor, who became mad and turned into the evil Dr. Robotnik. Sega should play on that.

Edited by American Ristar

I was about to say the same thing !!! But I guess you said it first :)

... and the Biolizard. Why is it a lizard anyways?

Because some of them can regenerate limbs.

Because he wanted to make him a hedgehog. That's my theory (but yours isn't half bad.)

I say it's either a really odd coincidence, or Professor Gerald Robotnik somehow knew about the prophecy of the shrine in Hidden Palace, and modeled Shadow to be similar to the Hedgehog in the prophecy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have this really crazy theory!

Sonic Team deliberately made Shadow the 'Anti-Sonic' as both a plot point and gameplay point.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have anything else in mind when they designed him :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I have this really crazy theory!

Sonic Team deliberately made Shadow the 'Anti-Sonic' as both a plot point and gameplay point.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have anything else in mind when they designed him tongue.png

Well, from the player and Sonic Team perspective, it's pretty obvious that's the case, but my theory is to be taken from the characters and story perspective.

I'm with Gecko on this. I mean, these theories do hold some water but I doubt any of them have ever been officially considered, especially after they went to such lengths across the games to explain his story.