Awoo.

What Sonic Series would you like a sequel for?

Ultra Gako

Hey guys, Ultra Gako here smile.png

One thing that has struck me about the Sonic franchise, which I don't think it gets enough credit for, is how frequently they change up the fundamental gamestyle. It would be terribly difficult for one to say the Sonic franchise stagnates or is samey.

At the most the most commonly used gamestyles that come to mind have about three games:

The Adventure Formula: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 2006 (whilst this game is terrible it is clearly in this formula)

The Boost Formula: Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations.

Yet even these games, which have the same fundamental gamestyle, are very different to one another. Sonic Unleashed has more linear levels with platforming split to the Werehog, Colours has a more 2D approach with Wisps, Generations (besides the obvious difference with Classic Sonic) has a mix of more expansive levels and linear ones. 

The Adventure games are pretty obvious so I don't think I need to go through that.

You cannot accuse Sonic of being too similar, such as the classic Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Mario series (despite the fact these games are all excellent). Whilst Super Mario Galaxy was a sudden change to the formula, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are pretty much identical, in terms of gamestyle.

But then again, is it possible we are losing out on Sonic Team mastering these gamestyles? Are we missing out on Sonic Unleashed 2, Sonic Colours 2, Sonic Generations 2 or Sonic Heroes 2? Look at how much Crash Bandicoot 2 improved over the first game or, heck, even Super Samsh Bros: Melee over the original Smash Bros. 

Then again, they could make the games worse. Many agree that Sonic Adventure 2 is worse than 1. I would argue, however, that the current Sonic Team has really got their act together and I trust them to make improved sequels.

If it were possible, which Sonic Sequel would you create? This doesn't need to stop all new games, like Sonic: Lost World, but it's still an interesting idea.

I would definitely go for Sonic Generations 2. I think the game was spectacular and if every 3D level was as expansive as Seaside Hill...I think it could be one of the best platform games ever made.

What would you guys go for smile.png

Edited by Ultra Gako

For the 25th Anniversary I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic Generations 2 that ditched the boost gameplay in favor of gameplay similar to Lost World. I think there's a lot of potential in LW's gameplay style but its being missed due to some weird level design. I'm not a fan of the tubular, Mario Galaxy-style layout of a lot of what we've seen from the 3D portions, but I think the controls and the idea of a parkour system could work really well in a Generations type game where I'd really want to explore as much of these classic locations as possible. Expansive Seaside Hill-type levels designed with the LW system in mind.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't mind a sequel to older games in the series provided they build on what Sonic Team has learned since then. A Heroes sequel would be interesting too but not if SEGA made the game like it was still 2005.

Edited by Spooky Mulder
  • Thumbs Up 2

A Sonic racing game is an interesting idea actually. To be honest, it's kind of stunning that they have never mastered it.

I mean Sega All Stars is fantastic but it's not a Sonic racer strictly speaking: it's a Sega driving game.

A good version of Sonic R would be a good idea. Much better controls, more characters and much better designed stages (and more of them obviously). 

I always thought Sonic R had a lot of untapped potential. Especially with the oddball characters like Tails Doll and Mecha Knuckles. 

A Sonic racing game is an interesting idea actually. To be honest, it's kind of stunning that they have never mastered it.

I mean Sega All Stars is fantastic but it's not a Sonic racer strictly speaking: it's a Sega driving game.

A good version of Sonic R would be a good idea. Much better controls, more characters and much better designed stages (and more of them obviously). 

I always thought Sonic R had a lot of untapped potential. Especially with the oddball characters like Tails Doll and Mecha Knuckles. 

Technically they could've done well with the sonic riders gameplay if they improved from the first one instead of slowing the game down and making things look cooler than being useful.

But I think a sonic heroes 2 would probably be the thing I want most from sonic team cause since I started playing it again, its still my favorite of the gamecube games (and my favorite gamecube game in general) so I would really like another sonic heroes that improved on all of the first ones mechanics and add some new ones in there and with today's technology, I feel as though it has the most potential out of all the gameplay types.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got it! A sequel to Lost World!

...  ...  ... ...

Joking aside, of course, Heroes could be interesting with a sequel, especially if they mixed it up a bit.

As much as many would hate it [and while not a sequel of sorts] use the Adventure style Knuckles stages to create his own game, while also adding more to the gameplay and more expansive stages that do not require collecting of three objects.

And yes, of course a sequel to Generations using the Lost World engine for Sonic's 25th. They need to revisit it to unlock the untapped potential they missed with the first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD. Why? Because it's one of the best 2D Sonic games ever made. If they could replicate everything from the original, but even better, I would accept it with open arms. The time travel gimmick is a genius thing, they should use it one more time. I wish they could call The Taxman to work together with Sonic Team to create a game that plays like the classic, but looks like something new and fresh. You know, HD graphics, kinda like the route Sonic 2 HD was going to (tho, I would accept some smooth 16-bit graphics too, kinda like Scott Pilgrim: The Game).  As or the music, our God Naofumi Hataya could return as sound director and main composer, since he did the original CD soundtrack.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would like a sequel to the original series, except much better than Sonic 4. Just reuse the old Genesis game engine and make a new game, like Capcom did with Mega Man 9 and 10. Hire Prope (Yuji Naka's studio) to make it. 

I would also like a new Rivals game, as I really did enjoy Rivals 1 and 2. The racing platformer concept was actually pretty unique and a system with a more modern online infrastructure than PSP could open up a lot of potential for online multiplayer and leaderboards. 

I'd also buy a new Riders game. I have Riders, Zero Gravity, and Free Riders and I like all three (Free Riders requires good lighting, and it helps if you calibrate Kinect first, but I really didn't have a problem controlling it). The problem with these games is that they all have a high learning curve, which tends to push away a lot of the mascot racing game demographic. I wouldn't mind seeing a portable game; SEGA could probably reuse the Zero Gravity engine on 3DS and make a nice profit.

Another pinball game would be awesome as well. I'm a big fan of Pinball Party and Spinball.

And another fighting game. Sonic the Fighters is a good time, but it's pretty shallow. Sonic Battle is a deeper game but it's pretty difficult to find someone to play multiplayer with. Not a lot of my friends are still rocking a Game Boy Advance.

I would like a Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic Heroes 2. I've always been all for it, but they keep progressing to new games that are entirely different. I'll admit, I haven't been much of a fan after SA2, but the series definitely has some things going for it now, even if I don't play much anymore.

Now, if either of the two games I mentioned above are considered/released, I'll definitely be buying them and re-kindling my fandom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see another effort to use the team mechanics from Heroes again, because there was a ton of potential in Heroes that was wasted.  You could have it like in Advance 3 where you can have a team of two characters and have the level design be increadly open (like LW judging from recent gameplay) but have the option to tag out.  For example, you have a team of Sonic and Tails, one is faster and has a stronger spin dash, the other is slower but has a higher jump and can fly.  The developers could even use the Wisp mechanic where you can use your partner in a power up fashion like if you are playing as Tails, you can have sonic preform the laser power or if you playing as Sonic you can have Tails fly (aka hover power) to reach higher spots. 

Basically take mechanics from Lost World, Heroes, and Colors to make a awesome games :)

http://youtu.be/4H4JVqh66go

I understand there are better ways today to do a fighting game than this, but Sonic should definitely get a new one. Sumo Digital? If not the fighting style then everything else about this game should carry over. Great Sonic music, bright locales, cartoon animations, and character inspired moves. With today's expanded cast it should be easy to have a large roster of characters. Another aspect I'd like to stick is the use of real moves and combos. I mean not Smash Bros style, a nice tuned fighter fighting game. Also doesn't Sega have some relationship with Arc System Works?

Edited by American Ristar
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm starting to think I'd be happy to see anything so long as I got to play as the Chaotix within it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly I'm not sure there's any that I'd particularly want without serious revisions.

I love the classics, but I think they need some updating to the point where I'm not sure I'd call it a "Sonic 5".

SA was the closest to transferring the classic mechanics into 3D, but its formula needs a lot of work and a lot of stripping out of stuff that's been added, so I wouldn't want another Adventure.

Heroes and Advance 3, I like the idea of controlling a team and having the abilities of two characters, but I think both games were pretty poor.

The storybook series, I like the varied settings and the emphasis on story, but the gameplay...eugh...

Sonic's history is just too spotty. They've tried a lot of things, but they rarely came together enough for me to want more of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see a Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic Heroes 2 wouldn't be bad either. I'd like to see a Sonic R sequel, as well as a second (more updated!) Sonic the Fighters. 

Tails' Adventure 2.

Make it so, SEGA.

A sequel to Sonic R with the fundamental playstyle (3D on-foot racing) would be nice but it would have to be good and full of content this time

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd probably want another riders, because I feel there's a lot that can be done with it. If they just built upon the first one and added more characters, tracks and maybe another type to freshen things up, I can see it being a really good title. I can't see why they even decided to go ZG's route in the first place, nor free riders. 

I'd also like to see Generations 2, albeit with smarter level choices and more playable characters, and of course with the LW gameplay style. I really, really don't get why Sega didn't make any DLC characters, I mean, look at the mods for generations. They were sitting on a goddamn goldmine. 

I think the Riders series could take a more open world approach; basically a fusion of Tony Hawk, Burnout Paradise, and the original Riders.  You play as a new character (fully customizable) and explore a futuristic open world, visiting locations throughout the series (like Green Hill and Station Square) and giving them a Good Future look.  They you can fully run around (similar to the controls of Adventure 1) and can hop on your hoverbord to shred around the world; tackle races using mechanics similar to the original Riders, more Tony Hawk esc levels where you rank up points, and mixing the classic series momentum based gameplay into the trick system (you face a step incline, so you start up your spin dash, you rocket down the ramp and then you hop right back on your hoverbord to preform many spins and tricks).

Sorry for the rant, just some ideas that could be applied for a new Riders game :)

I personally don't know about a Generations 2. I mean i think of it as a one time thing. If they wanted to do more with that concept, they could have done DLC, but they missed the chance. Making another title in the span of 3 years just seems iffy for me. I mean, I liked it as a special thing for the series. (although I wouldn't mind if they did another one this one focused on LW gameplay for modern and Adventure gameplay for "Classic".) 

Aside from that, a sequel to Sonic the Fighters could really be cool. Especially if Sumo did it.

Sonic Unleashed 2 had always been in my mind for a interesting sequel. Not in terms of Chip and dark gaia returning, but in the sense of atmosphere, and locations taking inspiration from the real world. There is A LOT that could still be done. Plus, I want to see Pickle back dang it!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Storybook games seemed like they were, despite the... lack of quality, a couple of games where Sonic Team really got to have a bit of fun and do things that they wanted to do. If they could focus that enthusiasm (and make sure the game is actually good), I'd quite like to see a sequel to those.

Also, Sonic R 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would like a sequel to the Sonic Adventure 2. No, I don't mean a 'Sonic Adventure 3'. I just want a sequel with the similar gameplay you got in SA2, with some tweaks:

Remove the Chao Gardens, make the controls less slippery. Make it easier to find the shard of the master emeralds (i.e. make the sound indicator beep if your near a shard, even if isn't one your supposed to be looking for), like in SA1. Add more Sonic/Shadow style stages, so that they take up 50% of the game instead of a third. Tails should not be in a mech, they should utilise his fly ability. Make Amy Rose a playable character, but make her move faster.

I really liked the formula of SA2. With a few minor changes it could have been an even better game.

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would like a sequel to the Sonic Adventure 2. No, I don't mean a 'Sonic Adventure 3'. I just want a sequel with the similar gameplay you got in SA2, with some tweaks:   Remove the Chao Gardens, make the controls less slippery. Make it easier to find the shard of the master emeralds (i.e. make the sound indicator beep if your near a shard, even if isn't one your supposed to be looking for), like in SA1. Add more Sonic/Shadow style stages, so that they take up 50% of the game instead of a third. Tails should not be in a mech, they should utilise his fly ability. Make Amy Rose a playable character, but make her move faster.   I really liked the formula of SA2. With a few minor changes it could have been an even better game.
>Remove Chao gardens "BUT-BU-BU-BUT THAT'S WHAT MADE THOSE GAMES AMAZING AND SUCH A ADVENTURE! WE HAVE TO HAVE CHAO GARDENS MANG!" -Every obsessed mindless Sonic Adventure fanboy.:P

Being serious here, I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the Chao Garden from a potential Sonic Adventure 3. The Chao go hand in hand with Sonic Adventure so it would be weird to remove it.

I've actually been playing Sonic Adventure 2 lately and it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's actually puzzling that Sonic Team don't make a Sonic Adventure 3, even if it were just an Arcade title. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 sold ridiculously well on PSN and XBLA, so it makes sense.

Also, regarding Sonic Generations 2, I think everyone's thinking is being a bit restricted. They could use the gamestyle of Sonic Generations (Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic) but it wouldn't need to be a celebration game. All the levels could be new, ala Sonic Lost World, just with the gamestyle of Sonic Generations.

I would really support a spiritual Sonic Generations 2. I seriously think it was a top-platformer nevermind a top Sonic game. 

Edited by Ultra Gako

Being serious here, I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the Chao Garden from a potential Sonic Adventure 3. The Chao go hand in hand with Sonic Adventure so it would be weird to remove it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't care for having to endure gameplay that made Big's fishing seem 100% in place with the series just so I could unlock some crappy Game Gear games/a glorified reskin/a shoddy 3D Green Hill.

If this kind of thing interested me, I would play a pet simulator game that was completely different from Sonic. Which is what the Chao Gardens honestly should've been.

The Adventure series would not be any different if the Chao Gardens were spun off/axed entirely.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't care for having to endure gameplay that made Big's fishing seem 100% in place with the series just so I could unlock some crappy Game Gear games/a glorified reskin/a shoddy 3D Green Hill.

If this kind of thing interested me, I would play a pet simulator game that was completely different from Sonic. Which is what the Chao Gardens honestly should've been.

The Adventure series would not be any different if the Chao Gardens were spun off/axed entirely.

Yeah, but the thing is is that you didn't have to do it and its not like the chao garden detracted anything from the game, it was just a fun little side thing for people to do in between levels if they wished to.

At first, I would agree that Chao go hand in hand with the Adventure games.

But to be honest, if we're talking actual sequels not taking into consideration gameplay from the previous games, then the Chao Garden mechanics wouldn't work in any other gameplay style, no matter how hard we tried.

But since this thread is about giving gameplay styles of games another chance, then it sort of does go hand in hand that Chao Gardens would be a part of the Adventure style of gameplay.

[Although, like what I said before, you could just take part of the gameplay style to create a sequel from it.]

Yeah, but the thing is is that you didn't have to do it and its not like the chao garden detracted anything from the game, it was just a fun little side thing for people to do in between levels if they wished to.

If you wanted 100% completion, you DID have to do them. They weren't suited to Sonic and would've been better off as their own thing instead of being shoehorned in to get virtual pet lovers to buy Sonic games.

Edited by Spin Attaxx