Awoo.

What Sonic Series would you like a sequel for?

Ultra Gako

I would honestly have to say the Rush series as we still have more of Blaze's backstory to find out. Like why is she not a queen? How can Marine control water powers? Are the Emeralds actually sentient (brought up at the end of RA)? Are there humans in her world? Things like that could be explored in a Sonic Rush 3(D), but I feel the gameplay should be a bit different. 

I would say have it be 3D since after Sonic Lost World 3DS there would be no excuse, whether its on Wii U or 3DS. And have Sonic control like in Lost World, and have Blaze play like Sonic does in Generations except with more focus on her double jump, firespin, etc. This would be one of the few Sonic stories to actually have a continuous plot, and it would give us more playable characters without throwing a brand new gameplay style at us.

Edited by LordMetallix
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you wanted 100% completion, you DID have to do them. They weren't suited to Sonic and would've been better off as their own thing instead of being shoehorned in to get virtual pet lovers to buy Sonic games.

True, but what if they were there as just a completely optional thing instead of having to be done for a 100% but doing things in it just unlocked some stuff for the garden or maybe some little things for the characters.

Still doesn't make them any more suited to Sonic gameplay. I came to SA (well, SADX) for a fast 3D platformer. If I wanted to play a virtual pet game, then I would play a virtual pet game.

Still doesn't make them any more suited to Sonic gameplay. I came to SA (well, SADX) for a fast 3D platformer. If I wanted to play a virtual pet game, then I would play a virtual pet game.

I don't find that a decent rebuttal considering that the Chao Gardens were completely optional in the Adventures. Now if you wanted to 100%, okay, but even that's optional too compared to the actual main parts of the game.

Not saying we should keep them around, but it certainly wouldn't keep you from playing a fast 3D platformer if the game doesn't make it a requirement to visit the garden.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Wasting resources on irrelevant junk doesn't become any better an idea just because it's optional irrelevant junk.

• Thumbs Up 1

So don't waste your time playing the optional irrelevant junk then. Not that difficult to stomach.

As much as I'd like better content, I couldn't care less what resources they wasted doing something else if I can enjoy the main game without the optional junk forced on me.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Wasting resources on irrelevant junk doesn't become any better an idea just because it's optional irrelevant junk.

I can understand people not liking the Chao garden but, let's be honest, I very much doubt the Chao are a massive strain on development time or resources. They are probably very easy to make in comparison with the high-speed Sonic-esque levels. 

For that reason, I cannot agree with your point here.

Removing the Chao garden would free up development time for about, let's say, one level? Hardly seems like a strain on resources. 

Neither did E 102 Gamma but he proved popular. I would say the Chao fit in way more with the Sonic formula than Gamma's shooting does despite the fact, you are right, they are out of place.

But seeing as this is Sonic Adventure both the shooting and the Chao arguably fit in with a third installment. 

If you wanted 100% completion, you DID have to do them. They weren't suited to Sonic and would've been better off as their own thing instead of being shoehorned in to get virtual pet lovers to buy Sonic games.

That's a problem with the Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 completion system, not the Chao garden itself. And lets be honest, if you are crazy (or fanatical) enough to get all A Rankings to unlock Green Hill Zone I don't think the Chao garden is your biggest obstacle by any means. 

Removing the Chao garden would free up development time for about, let's say, one level? Hardly seems like a strain on resources.

In a series that struggles to reach a two digit number of levels, one more would be more than worth cutting that junk.

Neither did E 102 Gamma but he proved popular.

Gamma had a good story (arguably the best the series has ever told), and gameplay that was short and inoffensive enough to not...well, to not offend. That doesn't mean his gameplay was worth including or that it should show up in future games.

I would say the Chao fit in way more with the Sonic formula than Gamma's shooting does despite the fact, you are right, they are out of place.

Pet sim vs platformer-with-a-gun? Nah, even though Gamma's gameplay doesn't fit it was still worlds closer than the chao gardens.

But seeing as this is Sonic Adventure both the shooting and the Chao arguably fit in with a third installment.

The Adventure games shouldn't define itself by blindly repeating past mistakes.

And lets be honest, if you are crazy (or fanatical) enough to get all A Rankings to unlock Green Hill Zone I don't think the Chao garden is your biggest obstacle by any means.

It's the biggest waste of time. Unless you used the animal dupe glitch, raising a powerful chao was a huge, boring, repetitive time sink. At least pretty much everything else involved actually playing the game and not just grinding for stats (RPG style stat/level/item grinding is basically one of the worst things to happen to gaming IMO).

In a series that struggles to reach a two digit number of levels, one more would be more than worth cutting that junk.

Gamma had a good story (arguably the best the series has ever told), and gameplay that was short and inoffensive enough to not...well, to not offend. That doesn't mean his gameplay was worth including or that it should show up in future games.

Pet sim vs platformer-with-a-gun? Nah, even though Gamma's gameplay doesn't fit it was still worlds closer than the chao gardens.

The Adventure games shouldn't define itself by blindly repeating past mistakes.

It's the biggest waste of time. Unless you used the animal dupe glitch, raising a powerful chao was a huge, boring, repetitive time sink. At least pretty much everything else involved actually playing the game and not just grinding for stats (RPG style stat/level/item grinding is basically one of the worst things to happen to gaming IMO).

Well the reason the recent games have hardly any levels is because of the focus on boost, which requires levels to be incredibly expansive, and the amount of time it takes to make top quality graphics. The Adventure games had a large number of levels because it wasn't the same as this. When I said that removing the Chao Garden would add one level I was referring to SA2. 

If the developers were to remove a hypothetical Chao garden from a modern-boost sort of game then I don't think anything would replace it other than certain levels being slightly prettier or slightly more polished.

I agree that pet sim is nothing like a Sonic game but I would argue that the soul of it (cutsey pets that need looking after) are more in line with Sonic than a sombre storyline about a robot that has to kill himself to free all mechanised animals. That's just me though.

The Adventure games shouldn't repeat past mistakes, I agree with that. However, many people love the Chao gardens (including non-Sonic fans and journalists) and they are synonymous with the Sonic Adventure spirit.

Perhaps it's the most time consuming, but I would hedge to bet that anyone who would willingly go for all A Ranks is such a fanatic of Sonic Adventure 2 that they would probably like the Chao Garden. Besides, the Chao gardens wouldn't need to be required for unlocks next time around.

Edited by Ultra Gako

When I said that removing the Chao Garden would add one level I was referring to SA2.

Still worth it (especially considering Sonic/Shadow only had about 10ish levels in SA2 anyway, thanks to 2/3 of the game being padding).

I agree that pet sim is nothing like a Sonic game but I would argue that the soul of it (cutsey pets that need looking after) are more in line with Sonic than a sombre storyline about a robot that has to kill himself to free all mechanised animals. That's just me though.

Personally I'd rather the series take interesting story directions than pander to people with a shameless grinding minigame.

What about a hedgehog with an attitude fighting a mad scientist has any relation to raising pets anyway.

The Adventure games shouldn't repeat past mistakes, I agree with that. However, many people love the Chao gardens (including non-Sonic fans and journalists) and they are synonymous with the Sonic Adventure spirit.

They're only "synonymous with the spirit" because people keep crying about them and Sonic Team (rightly) stopped making them at the same time they moved past the "Adventure" name. And the fact that a lot of people, especially ones that aren't even Sonic fans, want to crap up a game doesn't move me.

Perhaps it's the most time consuming, but I would hedge to bet that anyone who would willingly go for all A Ranks is such a fanatical fan that they would probably like the Chao Garden.

Nope, exhibit A, myself.

Oh joy. An argument in a completely unrelated thread about how people who liked the Chao Gardens are objectively wrong for enjoying them and saying they would like them to return. That's a new one.

Still worth it (especially considering Sonic/Shadow only had about 10ish levels in SA2 anyway, thanks to 2/3 of the game being padding).

Personally I'd rather the series take interesting story directions than pander to people with a shameless grinding minigame.

What about a hedgehog with an attitude fighting a mad scientist has any relation to raising pets anyway.

They're only "synonymous with the spirit" because people keep crying about them and Sonic Team (rightly) stopped making them at the same time they moved past the "Adventure" name. And the fact that a lot of people, especially ones that aren't even Sonic fans, want to crap up a game doesn't move me.

Nope, exhibit A, myself.

Well if there was a Sonic Adventure 3 the 'padding' would most definitely be in :P . Sonic Adventure is defined by its alternate game-styles in my opinion. 

Who says that the game can't take interesting story decisions and still have the Chao minigame?

Oh come on :P . The Chao are integral to the plot of Sonic Adventure 1 and are frequently hinted at in Sonic Adventure 2 (Omochao, symbolism of Hero/Dark plot point with the Chao raising/Gardens and the find the Chao missions). The Chao are clearly important to the spirit of the Adventure games. 

I do think you are overreacting a bit to the whole Chao Garden. I don't particularly care about it myself, but many people clearly do, and for the sake that these people have often demanded it I don't see why the small use of resources would be more important than bringing them back.

Besides, if a Sonic Adventure 3 was ever made it would massively play on nostalgia (especially with the two Adventure games being re-released on Xbox and Playstation). It would make perfect sense to incorporate the Chao in SA3 when it was always an important point in the Adventure series and that it would hit a nostalgia bone.

Oh joy. An argument in a completely unrelated thread about how people who liked the Chao Gardens are objectively wrong for enjoying them and saying they would like them to return. That's a new one.

It's not completely unrelated really. I was intending to discuss elements that have never since featured, like the Chao Garden, when I created this thread.

Besides, he's entitled to his opinion.

I'm sure this will surprise everyone, but Adventure for me. Alternate gameplay should be more similar to Sonic's this time around, though. And it should be more like the first one where you get to choose your character at the beginning. The stories should be separate with some intersections and all of them coming together for the finale.

Also, Chao Gardens should return. I like them.

Rush would be cool, too. Or anything that could be an adventure with Sonic, Tails, Blaze and Marine :U I enjoyed them all together.

Eh...not sure. Mario and Sonic is one sub-series I like, but that's practically guaranteed sequels. Sonic Rivals is another, but that became such a continuity snarl that I wouldn't even bother trying to continue that narrative. Knuckles Chaotix is a standalone, but it's had quite a few spiritual successors by now in various other Sonic sub-series.

Eh...Tails Adventure for its own sub-series? As very unlikely as it is?

I'd like to see a third game in the Storybook series.

However, one of the main appeals to me regarding any potential third Storybook game is the story and characterization. And there's no way that I'm holding my breath for any third game to match the quality the first two had regarding story and characterization, which alone have not been matched by any other game to date anyway and taking into consideration how the storytelling and to a large extent the characterization jumped off a cliff since Colours came out.

The two Storybooks game's also had appeal to me regarding the game design with the skill system and it's complexities in relation to mission requirements. I enjoyed the uniqueness of those two titles and wished that a third followed the same route. Also, the Wii-U gamepad offers quite a few interesting possibilities if a third storybook game was released on the Wii-U.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh...not sure. Mario and Sonic is one sub-series I like, but that's practically guaranteed sequels. Sonic Rivals is another, but that became such a continuity snarl that I wouldn't even bother trying to continue that narrative. Knuckles Chaotix is a standalone, but it's had quite a few spiritual successors by now in various other Sonic sub-series.

Eh...Tails Adventure for its own sub-series? As very unlikely as it is?

Yes. While I'm not really interested in a direct sequel to the game, I'd love a to see another game that played similarly to it (but in 3d)!

I'd like a new Riders game, and not a shitty Kinect port either. Online play would be amazing with that shit, not Mario Kart level, but still damn fun. The Babylon Rogues, are starting to grow on me and wouldn't mind another game with their antics.

The storybook games have the most engaging stories for me despite their flaws and would definitely like to see a third one, especially since it feels like Sonic Team have way more leeway than they do with the main entries.

And yes, I would like another Adventure title, just to see how they would handle it.

I'm all for a sequel to Sonic the Fighters; reworked fighting system, larger online multiplayer, a 'story mode', a good roster of characters.

I forgot to mention Sonic X without Chris.

That would only leave like half of the first episode, though.

This may sound a bit silly, but I'm up for a sequel to the Game Gear games. Or at least some nods to it in later games.

This may sound a bit silly, but I'm up for a sequel to the Game Gear games. Or at least some nods to it in later games.

Hey I would be good if Nack would return, but thats me

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see a third game in the Storybook series.

I think that a sequel to the Storybook series would be awesome, too!

An interesting "gimmick" that could be used for the gameplay in a future Storybook series game would be to utilize the "support mode" that Sonic LW will be using. This could either work as a one-player "Sonic Heroes" style, where you could go back and forth in controlling different players, or even have a two-player option. Especially if the third Storybook series took place in Greek Mythology, it would be really cool for Sonic to work alongside the other characters acting as "gods."

I'm not familiar with the Wii-U's capabilities, but the gamepad might also be able to solve the control troubles that the previous two Storybook games had.

The Wiimot and Nunchuk could've fixed the control problems of the first two. Black Knight just wanted to stay true to Secret Rings even though it used the stick instead of motion controls. The team has shown they can do normal controls with Colors, if they want, so if we ever do get a third I hoped they'd change them more like normal Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wiimot and Nunchuk could've fixed the control problems of the first two. Black Knight just wanted to stay true to Secret Rings even though it used the stick instead of motion controls. The team has shown they can do normal controls with Colors, if they want, so if we ever do get a third I hoped they'd change them more like normal Sonic games.

That's true. Colors seemed a lot more consistent control-wise than Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. I'm hoping they'll keep the controls of Colors for the third, too *thinks of trying to move backwards in Sonic and the Secret Rings, shudders*