Awoo.

PC builds on a budget, Builds in OP. "Autosaver's Deals Thread 2.0"

Solkia

Promise to keep this updated on a semi-regular basis (as new hardware comes out and such) and I'll sticky it.

hmm, well this is really for those on a slim budget, brand new hardware costs much more than this.

If he posts new builds for 2014 and onward, I'll update the thread.

I'm still pretty new to pc hardware myself, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Also, Do NOT buy Alienware PCs.

LOL

I guess a gpu would be optional but I would suggest going ahead and getting a dedicated card. It's been a minute since I've put one together, but here's one I put together.

Case: Rosewill Challenger, I personally have used this case, and it worked well, no problems at all out of it. $49

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

PSU: 500w. $49 after rebates and shit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

CPU: $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281

Mobo: $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

HDD: $59

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

Ram: $66

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

GPU: $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202023

GPU: $154

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

Been a minute, just random shit I threw together. $555 with 7770, a 7850 would bring it to like $599 though not sure how exactly it go and shit. Also there are rebates and stuff too so it might be less than that. But eh, its been a minute since I've done a build, I'll need someone to check to see if I fucked something up. And I use newegg for most of my techy shit. 

Edit: I wish I had a modular PSU... unfortunately even if I did buy one I don't feel like tearing that shit out... XP

Edited by Noel

That's a nice CPU, again wishing mine was modular... I've ordered through Amazon before, I've had no problems but I do feel more comfy with Newegg. I hopefully won't need an upgrade for at least another 5 years. Ya don't spend half a grand on a gpu to have to replace it a year later :P

Edited by Noel

Meh. I think the benefits of modular PSUs are offset by better planning for wiring before you buy a case; though I can certainly understand why people would like the clean look they have when not in use.

Meh. I think the benefits of modular PSUs are offset by better planning for wiring before you buy a case; though I can certainly understand why people would like the clean look they have when not in use.

My case is pretty big, and the airflow isn't a problem for it. I just like it looking clean. But I did put it together neatly.

Heh, wish I had this 2 years ago, 2 christmas's ago I got an Alienware laptop cause I didnt know better, but hey its solid and has worked solidly enough, I am considering building a desktop though, and it is a laptop so you cant really build those anyways XD

Rock, Paper, Shotgun recently did a piece on this after the prices were announced for the new consoles.

£500 is definitely a good price for a decent machine. I spent £600 on my rig 4 years ago. It's still going pretty strong (fan on the cpu cooler has died which is a tad worrying), and the only upgrade I've bought was a GTX 560 Ti when Skyrim and Battlefield 3 came out.

As an extra note, anti-static wristbands ARE optional really.  Pooshoes helped me put mine together via IM and I'm a clumsy fool and I managed to get mine working with no trouble.  You just have to make sure to keep one body part on the metal PC case to ground you at all times.  I leant on case just below the elbows while handling components.

Also as an extra little tip for newbie PC installers like I was:  USE the installation CDs that come with all the hardware.  I'm so used to getting pre-packaged PCs I put all the plethora of CDs that come with it for emergency re-installs to one side since I've never actually had to use them before then sat around wondering why my USB ports or the ethernet cable port or sound card etc were only partially working.

• 5 weeks later...
I really want a gaming PC, but I simply don't have the cash (I'm that skint) as most of my gaming considers for the PC. Now if my steam library wasn't like this...

3oPU983.jpgThen who knows where I would be today

Edited by kimplix

So I'm thinking of building a PC for myself this fall and I'm trying to figure out everything. I'll have a budget between 700-1000$ and already have some bits.

I don't need an HD, Keyboard/mouse, monitor, Blu-Ray drive, wifi card or firewire card as I already have that stuff from other computers.

I would like an SSD to go along with the 750GB HD I already have, but it's not necessary. I want a built in capture device, but that can come later down the line.

So from what I gather I need a PSU, MB, CPU, GPU, RAM, and a case. I've found a few cheap cases that should work (I don't care what they look like since I won't see it most of the time), but I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff.

I have a preference to Intel CPUs, but I might be willing to go with AMD if I could good a good deal on something that'd still give me good performance. I'm not sure how to buy a mainboard and know what CPU will work with it. Also I know nothing about GPUs, the last time I bought a video card it was AGP and I have no clue what's used now.

The PSU, Ram and such should be easy enough to find, no issues there.

I assume my budget is reasonable I just don't want to end up disappointed or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

What's mSATA?

I'm working very hard to avoid every bit of sound advice presented in this thread to buy another gaming laptop for twice as much instead, but I'm kind of stumped by what that is.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently the Radeon HD 9000 series is rumored to be coming out at the end of this month?

With that said, I'd probably avoid buying any GPUs at the moment because prices will drop if it happens.

Radeon is only good for integrated graphics, and even then Intel HD 4600 (Haswell) is pretty close in terms of benchmarks.

I'll keep an eye on NCIX tech tips to see what AMD has this time.

Should this just become PC gaming general on the side?

Solkia hates AMD confirmed lol. I don't see anything wrong with using an AMD GPU, in fact I've used one and it ran well for 2 and a half years before I decided to upgrade to my 680.

Edited by Noel

> Caring about whatever ATi does.

What is this? 2005?

Honestly, ATi has done nothing but improve since AMD bought them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, ATi has done nothing but improve since AMD bought them out.

Being a Linux user I have to respectfully disagree. Granted I run a nVidia GTX680 on my desktop I've read enough about AMD/ATi problems on both Linux and Windows to steer clear. nVidia seems to have a faster update cycle as well.

• 2 weeks later...

i3 Haswells are out.

i3-4130

i3-4330

i3-4130T

i3-4330 uses intel HD 4600 which is on par with AMD APUs The others use HD 4400

These use socket LGA 1150

• 2 weeks later...