Awoo.

Sonic CD comes after Sonic 2?

iDEATH

It's stated in the Japanese manual of Sonic 3 that Sonic 3 takes place 'many months after' Sonic 2. There's plenty of time for Sonic CD to happen.

I think it was a matter of days between the two games rather than months, but even so there's no indication in the Sonic 3 story that anything happened between the Death Egg crashing on Angel Island and Sonic showing up. If nothing else the story seems to imply that Robotnik spent the entire time hanging out on the island fixing everything.

Edited by Tornado

Bah, I give it up to early canon weirdness. 

Just goes to prove that time travel games will always screw with the series' canon, classic or modern, CD or 06.

The entire time between 2 and 3 was Eggman fixing up the Death Egg.

Just rechecked the JP Manual for Sonic 3 on Sonic Retro. It says "Many Days Pass".

I think I've read about this before on Concept Mobius. And I guess the order would be Sonic 1 > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3 & K > CD?

Theres one problem for 3&K>CD. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has the Little Planet come. The Little Planet comes one month out of every year. A whole year would have to pass between Sonic CD and Sonic 4. That's why it should be CD>2>3&K>4

Maybe Sonic went from Classic to Modern in that 1-year interum between CD and 4.

Maybe Sonic went from Classic to Modern in that 1-year interum between CD and 4.

That would make sense if the large amount of chaos energy from the Super Emeralds/Hyper Form was effected by the time energy of the Time Stones that may still be present in him, resulting in Green Eyes. But I still don't see 3K>CD>4 being the canon timeline.

Theres one problem for 3&K>CD. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has the Little Planet come. The Little Planet comes one month out of every year. A whole year would have to pass between Sonic CD and Sonic 4. That's why it should be CD>2>3&K>4

There's no reason that can't be the case.

There's also spin off titles like Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble that might fill in that gap....

That would make sense if the large amount of chaos energy from the Super Emeralds/Hyper Form was effected by the time energy of the Time Stones that may still be present in him, resulting in Green Eyes. But I still don't see 3K>CD>4 being the canon timeline.

Or he just aged naturally like we do. No pseudomagic or anything.

For me, the key deciding factor is Mecha Sonic: is he a prototype for Metal Sonic? Then CD takes place after 3&K.

Is he a mock up to fill the void until Little Planet (and therefore Metal) returns? Then CD takes place before 2.

• 3 months later...

I don't think SEGA told us when Sonic CD happen, here's how I figured it:

Sonic CD happens between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, because of two things.

1. Tails isn't in the game (NO, playing as Tails in the Remake doesn't count)

2. Sonic can't do the spindash as fast as Sonic 2 and after (Because he was still learning how to do it). 

That's only two reasons, but I really don't see how it could happen at any other time.

Edited by SonicDude

Between 1 and 2, due to the fact of there being no Tails and also Tails' "SEE YOU NEXT GAME" picture could contribute to that, unless it is indeed referencing Sonic Drift like a lot of people think.

Pretty much, to me, it goes:

Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Generations (on Classic's end), Sonic 4, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow, Unleashed (because that game didn't happen), Colours, Generations (on Modern's end). 

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me, it all depends on what Mecha Sonic is.

Is he Metal Sonic's prototype? Did he later get upgraded to match Metal Sonic? Was Metal Sonic built based to Mecha Sonic MKII's design? Is he a mockup designed to replace Metal until Little Planet came back?

So it'd be either before Sonic 2, in between 2 and 3 or after 3 but before 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because there's too much debate on where it can go with very few consistencies I'll be creative with this for once.

It all happens during Adventure and it was all just Amy's day dreaming. I mean it explains Amy's new design and age. Oh and Mecha/Silver Sonic became Metal Sonic hence why he was always complaining about not beating Sonic.

Headcannon but hey its an interesting take to it.

I'm pretty sure there's a topic about this somewhere, but since I can't find it, then well... that's that.

Anyway, I'm actually under the notion that Sonic CD came after Sonic 2, but was intended to come before Sonic 2.

First, Tails not being in the game doesn't entail that he hadn't yet met Sonic.  He wasn't in SegaSonic the Hedgehog, either, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of continuity.  Notice how all the games take place after all the characters, for one reason or the next, haven't seen each other in a long time?  (Thus, leading to the most peculiar overuse of "Long time, no see!")  We can infer that Sonic and Tails parted ways for a brief period of time.  So it's reasonable to assume that the reason Tails wasn't in the game is because while CD was in development, they didn't know Tails would become such a popular character, and as such didn't feel the need to cast him in every single game.

I also choose to believe that Metal Sonic is the completed version of Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 and in turn, Mecha Sonic is a modified version of Metal Sonic after his ultimate failure in Sonic CD.  I don't see any logical progression in Robotnik switching to a clearly inferior model after the climatic race in Sonic CD.

Now, with all that said, I believe that is what it became, but I also believe it was originally intended to be released before Sonic 2, which would explain why the Spin Dash doesn't work nearly as well as in Sonic 2.  I believe someone once mentioned that Sonic CD started development a little bit before Sonic 2, but I can't verify that statement.  If that's the case, however, then it's likely that sometime during Sonic 2 and Sonic CD's simultaneous development, the programmers managed to devise a proper Spin Dash mechanic, but Sonic CD was already too close to completion to tamper with the already existing mechanics without causing the game to glitch up, so they left it as is.

As for the beta picture of Tails with the caption "See you next game!"  That may have originally intended to refer to Sonic 2, but I still believe that it refers to Sonic Drift simply because of the car.  By the time Sonic CD was released, they may have finally realized how popular Tails had become and contemplated giving fans a little teaser for his return.

Edited by Akito

Between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Sonic has been almost accompanied by Tails all the time since Sonic 2, whereas this game he's still by himself. Also, the Spin Dash in that games seems more like a prototype of sorts of the Sonic 2 Spin Dash.

Is he Metal Sonic's prototype? Did he later get upgraded to match Metal Sonic? Was Metal Sonic built based to Mecha Sonic MKII's design? Is he a mockup designed to replace Metal until Little Planet came back?

I'd like to think that he was Eggman's first robot (which would explain why he's still around compared to the other Genesis robots), and that he's more of a robot Sonic experiment/prototype that emphasizes importance on looking identical to Sonic while still matching/surpassing his speed instantly, while having some electricity-based attacks. 

Next you get precedes Silver Sonic/Mecha Sonic mk I, a robot Metal Sonic who has more emphasis on durability and combat. Silver S. isn't as similar to Sonic as Metal S. is due to his more bulky design and silver colors, and he also can't hit it's top speed as fast as Metal can, but makes up for it by being more durable than Metal (who more or less exploded when ramming into a wall at full speed) and having attacks based on Sonic's rolling attacks. 

Then you have Mecha Sonic (mk II) who is a combination of the two, sporting Metal's speed -he takes less time to move quickly than Silver, and can handily match/surpass Sonic's speed in Super mode-, design in terms of paint job/color appearance, and electricity attacks (at least in Super mode anyway); while retaining Silver's durability -considering the sheer amount of damage he was able to take from Sonic and later Knuckles combined before finally falling apart-, design in terms of shape -his design is still rather bulky and like Silver is a head or two taller than Sonic-; and having an updated/modified variant of Silver Sonic's attack moveset.

So I'd like to believe both Metal and Silver are prototypes to Mecha Sonic, with Metal coming first in terms of Eggman wanting a Sonic doppelganger robot that could match Sonic's defining appearance and abilities. And because of the "first installment wins" trope, Metal is still around as opposed to the other robots.

Between 1 and 2, due to the fact of there being no Tails and also Tails' "SEE YOU NEXT GAME" picture could contribute to that, unless it is indeed referencing Sonic Drift like a lot of people think.

Pretty much, to me, it goes:

Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Generations (on Classic's end), Sonic 4, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow, Unleashed (because that game didn't happen), Colours, Generations (on Modern's end). 

Yes it did! '06 had to happened for it to have been undone. 

All the games before '06 > '06 > *Time reset* > All the games before '06 > Soleanna Festival > Unleashed and so on.

Edited by Blue Blood

I've never understood why people are so certain that Tails' lack of appearance means anything. He's not in episode 1 of Sonic 4 so does Ep 1 take place before Sonic 2 and Ep2 after?

And if you're going to go down that track with Tails, then what about amy? She follows sonic everywhere right? So why isn't she in Sonic 2?

I place it after Sonic 2+3 because the design of Mecha Sonic seems like a prototype of Metal to me. The process of developing a robotic sonic would start with, the clunky silver, move on to the more refined but still a little basic Mecha then finally the final form with Metal. Metal's design hasn't changed since (with the exception of the red giant in chaotix and metal overlord)

It just doesn't make sense to me why Robotnik would use Metal Sonic, the perfect Sonic robot then switch to the clunky, useless Silver sonic in Sonic 2

Also, sonic CD was intended to be a release of sonic 2 on the mega CD before the plot was changed to something completely different. So if we're going purely on when the ideas where brought to the table, it would place sonic CD after Sonic 2 again.

Edited by Jake Bird

Um...pretty sure that Sonic CD occurs between Sonic 2 and 3&K due to it coming out in 1993. I mean, when it comes to the main series games, their release date is their chronology.

Um...pretty sure that Sonic CD occurs between Sonic 2 and 3&K due to it coming out in 1993. I mean, when it comes to the main series games, their release date is their chronology.

It would have to occur after Sonic 3 & K then, Sonic 3 starts a few minutes after the end of Sonic 2

It would have to occur after Sonic 3 & K then, Sonic 3 starts a few minutes after the end of Sonic 2

Right...that detail slipped my mind. mellow.png

I don't think SEGA told us when Sonic CD happen, here's how I figured it:   Sonic CD happens between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, because of two things. 1. Tails isn't in the game (NO, playing as Tails in the Remake doesn't count) 2. Sonic can't do the spindash as fast as Sonic 2 and after (Because he was still learning how to do it).    That's only two reasons, but I really don't see how it could happen at any other time.
Tails does not have to be in every story after he is introduced (this can be reversed into a "where's Amy in Sonic2 - Sonic3&K" because she doesn't need to be in every story either), and gameplay elements normally don't have much sway on canon - but Silver Sonic (Sonic2) and Mecha Sonic (Sonic3&K) seem like prototypes to Metal Sonic, which would place CD after S3&K This can go either way, it is just fan opinion

Tails does not have to be in every story after he is introduced (this can be reversed into a "where's Amy in Sonic2 - Sonic3&K" because she doesn't need to be in every story either), and gameplay elements normally don't have much sway on canon - but Silver Sonic (Sonic2) and Mecha Sonic (Sonic3&K) seem like prototypes to Metal Sonic, which would place CD after S3&K This can go either way, it is just fan opinion
True, but in the classic era Tails was in most of the games, maybe not playable but he was still there with Sonic . (Not all of the classic games but most, anyway.) And I know that the spindash doesn't really affect the canon, but I thought it would make sense if SEGA told us it happened before Sonic 2. Then again, they haven't said that, but still.

I've never understood why people are so certain that Tails' lack of appearance means anything. He's not in episode 1 of Sonic 4 so does Ep 1 take place before Sonic 2 and Ep2 after?

And if you're going to go down that track with Tails, then what about amy? She follows sonic everywhere right? So why isn't she in Sonic 2?

I place it after Sonic 2+3 because the design of Mecha Sonic seems like a prototype of Metal to me. The process of developing a robotic sonic would start with, the clunky silver, move on to the more refined but still a little basic Mecha then finally the final form with Metal. Metal's design hasn't changed since (with the exception of the red giant in chaotix and metal overlord)
It just doesn't make sense to me why Robotnik would use Metal Sonic, the perfect Sonic robot then switch to the clunky, useless Silver sonic in Sonic 2

Also, sonic CD was intended to be a release of sonic 2 on the mega CD before the plot was changed to something completely different. So if we're going purely on when the ideas where brought to the table, it would place sonic CD after Sonic 2 again.

Tails had sort-of a "cameo" in Episode 1, because he had a rocket waiting for Sonic when he chases Eggman to Egg Station Zone, and I don't really think that was just some random rocket Tails left standing around. And in the classic games, Tails actually went almost everywhere with Sonic, so I think if Sonic had met Tails, he would have gone to Little Planet with Sonic.

Amy doesn't follow Sonic everywhere. Yes, in some games she's chasing Sonic, but that's not every game.

If you think about Metal Sonics like that, then the first metallic Sonic would probably be the one from Sonic 2 8-bit, because it's the most unadvanced one, and Sonic 2 8-bit in my opinion would happen after the 16-bit version, because in the manual of the 8-bit version Sonic already knows Tails. so why would Eggman go from the Silver Sonic from 16-bit version to the worse one in the 8-bit version? And if you wanna imagine, maybe Eggman didn't have enough resources to rebuild Metal Sonic, since he built The Death Egg?

I think SEGA said Sonic 4 happens right after Sonic 3, (It doesn't really make sense, but still)

The again, these are just my opinions. Edited by SonicDude

I don't think you can use the "Tails was with sonic non-stop in the classics" argument. If there is a matter of minutes between 2 and 3&K it makes sense especially considering you end on the tornado in Sonic 2 and start Sonic 3 on the tornado. There is literally no way for Tails to not be there. It could be after 3&K as Tails wouldn't have seen sonic for a long time until Adventure. But it comes before Sonic 4 as Metal is stuck on Little Planet till ep 2, but in Adventure he is in a capsule.

So I think it goes

Sonic 1

Sonic 2

Sonic 3&K

Sonic CD

Sonic 4

Sonic Adventure