Awoo.

Does Tails need to be the sidekick anymore?

Kuzu

So this entire mess is down to you quibbling over the definition of "sidekick", good to know.

Its also good to know you don't have a decent rebuttal.

see, I can be a smartass too. 

ROBIN is still Batmans sidekick. I'm mainly referring to him, not his alter ego's. ROBIN has still done stuff on his own, without the aid of batman.(and no, I am not counting TT. I'm referring to the batman comics and universe.)

Well you realize there have been like three different Robins and all of them have struck out on their own eventually right?

No, because I'm pretty sure with it being a black hole, it would have just killed and everything and everyone. I don't imagine there being a positive outcome coming from it.

But the black hole was solved by the Wisp...who would have been freed when the cannon blew up.....so why wouldn't they be able to stop the Black hole again? Also, I'm stopping this now because it has nothing to do with the topic or what i Wanted to talk about and I tired of arguing Colors` plot for the Nth time.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

But the black hole was solved by the Wisp...who would have been freed when the cannon blew up.....so why wouldn't they be able to stop the Black hole again?

Assuming Sonic would just sit in on his ass and do nothing, a majority of the Wisps would still be imprisoned/turned Nega and therefore couldn't do much to stop the black hole.

But this is all just assuming shit and schematics at this point and really doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand anymore, so ill just drop it.

Well you realize there have been like three different Robins and all of them have struck out on their own eventually right?

eventually, yes. I'm not saying that they didn't. (Wasn't the reason most ended up doing there own thing because of growing up and maturing anyway? I don't think that will ever happen with the Sonic series for awhile.)My argument though was Robin,even before that, still did his own shit at times, but still referred to himself as Batmans sidekick. Edited by Schnitzel

The problem with comparing Tails to the various Robins is that Tails will not age, yet the other Robins have aged ( albeit slowly)

Tails will always be sonics sidekick because he wants to be, he is with his best friend and hero and he gets to help, sure he could go off and help Sonic and meet back up (SA, SA2, 06) but he will still be the sidekick. The problem is the writing and story they are giving him, he could easily go off and shut off a generator (Eternal Engine) and meet back up with Sonic, but they just aren't writing him to do so. Being a "sidekick" isn't stopping him going off doing stuff, I'm sure he was doing things between S3&K and Adventure as well as before meeting him in Unleashed, the writers are just focusing in Sonic because of "shitty friends" and the fact he is the titular character.

eventually, yes. I'm not saying that they didn't. (Wasn't the reason most ended up doing there own thing because of growing up and maturing anyway? I don't think that will ever happen with the Sonic series for awhile.)My argument though was Robin,even before that, still did his own shit at times, but still referee to himself as Batmans sidekick.

Well doesn't the fact that he was able to do those things show that he had the potential to be a hero in his own right? Like I said, I don't want Tails to completely break it off from Sonic but at the same time I want him to accomplish things on his own and be an equal partner to Sonic.

Not to your benefit.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with a return to a more Adventure-esque use of Tails, but using such an incredibly narrow view of "sidekick" that he wasn't one in those games runs the argument right into a brick wall because we aren't even speaking the same language.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think anyone here would disagree with a return to a more Adventure-esque use of Tails, but using such an incredibly narrow view of "sidekick" that he wasn't one in those games runs the argument right into a brick wall because we aren't even speaking the same language.

Well then at that point we just agree to disagree. If both of us have different definitions of a word then there's no point in arguing on who's definition is the "right" one. And your first point was the point of my argument anyway, in that Tails should be able to accomplish things without Sonic's help.

Tails should more solo adventures. I love his relationship with Sonic, but I also want to see him doing his own stuff more often.

I suggest that Sonic let Tails be in charge for once and Sonic follows than. Even in those speakonia sprite videos Tails gets intensely ignored always in favor of hedgehogs. Though there was one about him when Knuckles turned Tails into gangsta Tails funny. Still Tails is much more ignored than back before. Please stop the Tails abuse! Bring Knuckles into it as well since he has been there while!

Edited by TailsTellsTales
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't he be an individual and a sidekick? I mean, he has been helpful in the games, How could Sonic understand the wisps if Tails didn't build a translator?

Yeah, Where's the REAL Knuckles? (not whoever that was in Sonic Generations...)

Edited by knucklesgirl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Add me to the "Make Knuckles Useful Again" club.

I don't mind having Tails playing the sidekick role, but I do think he should be playable on his own more often. Or at least incorporate more useful tag-team elements with Sonic. Quite frankly, he's just kinda there in recent games, but that can easily change, whether he's following Sonic again or on his own.

• Thumbs Up 1

You could evolve Tails from a Robin to a Nightwing. Still has some sidekick tendencies when he's with Sonic, but more capable of striking out on his own more often.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how Tails has sort of gone from Sonic's clear inferior to more resembling a brother, partner, and friend. I like how the focus has been just on these two for Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

That said, it would be nice to make Tails playable occasionally in some new games. I don't think his style would be that out of place in the new system. I guess we'd have to play something like that to find out.

• Thumbs Up 1

If SEGA ever got around to aging the cast, I can see Tails as becoming more independent if he was a bit older. Particularly the teenage rebellion years.

As it stands though, there's really nothing he can't do as the sidekick. He's just as crucial as Sonic himself to victory in many cases, with all his inventions ultimately helping to save the day. He holds his own; most sidekicks are disposable, whereas he is not. He's more a partner who is just considered a sidekick due to being the less dominant of the pair. Would a soldier be able to fight effectively without someone giving him weapons? No? That explains Tails and Sonic's relationship, their close brotherhood aside.

Batman could get rid of Robin in a heartbeat, and indeed, he's had five of them. Sonic's only had one sidekick, not just because the fact they don't age the characters, but also because Tails and Sonic have a symbiotic relationship, rather than a one-sided one.

Heck, maybe some day SEGA will get adventurous and have them get into a fight... then they'll realise just how much they need each other. Tails is too physically weak, even with all his inventions, and Sonic is too dense to do all the technical stuff.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

If SEGA ever got around to aging the cast, I can see Tails as becoming more independent if he was a bit older. Particularly the teenage rebellion years.

As it stands though, there's really nothing he can't do as the sidekick. He's just as crucial as Sonic himself to victory in many cases, with all his inventions ultimately helping to save the day. He holds his own; most sidekicks are disposable, whereas he is not. He's more a partner who is just considered a sidekick due to being the less dominant of the pair. Would a soldier be able to fight effectively without someone giving him weapons? No? That explains Tails and Sonic's relationship, their close brotherhood aside.

Batman could get rid of Robin in a heartbeat, and indeed, he's had five of them. Sonic's only had one sidekick, not just because the fact they don't age the characters, but also because Tails and Sonic have a symbiotic relationship, rather than a one-sided one.

Heck, maybe some day SEGA will get adventurous and have them get into a fight... then they'll realise just how much they need each other. Tails is too physically weak, even with all his inventions, and Sonic is too dense to do all the technical stuff.

Tails is not weak at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not really out there to assume he's physically weaker than a lot of the main cast considering he often uses gadgets in fights. 

It's not really out there to assume he's physically weaker than a lot of the main cast considering he often uses gadgets in fights.

Yeah. If he wasn't physically weak, I'd presume he wouldn't make such heavy use of gadgets. Other than the Tornado and radars and such, I see no reason he'd need half the things he uses if he's on par with Sonic. Why does he need a walker to do battle?

Because he lacks Sonic's speed and Knuckles' raw power. The classic three each show the usual division of abilities: speed, power, intellect. He has the latter, and he uses it to compensate for his weaknesses in the first two.

Plus he's eight years old. Kids generally are pretty weak.

His brief time of shining in Adventure aside, he gets by copying everything Sonic does physically; if that's not dependence I don't know what is.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I don't consider Tails "weak" at all. He may not have Knuckles' physical upper body strength, but Tails does have speed very close to Sonic's and can replicate Sonic's spinning techniques and he can use his Tails to attack whatever metal Eggman uses for his robots and mechs. Also, How can someone that's physically weak kick something with the power that Tails uses with the Thunder Shoot? Plus, the only times Tails used technology to fight were Tails' Adventure, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic '06. And even in  3 of those he still used physical attacks as well with the same destructive power as Sonic.

Not to mention he has the supernatural ability to keep his tail in the same place during a spin attack ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't consider Tails "weak" at all. He may not have Knuckles' physical upper body strength, but Tails does have speed very close to Sonic's and can replicate Sonic's spinning techniques and he can use his Tails to attack whatever metal Eggman uses for his robots and mechs. Also, How can someone that's physically weak kick something with the power that Tails uses with the Thunder Shoot? Plus, the only times Tails used technology to fight were Tails' Adventure, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic '06. And even in  3 of those he still used physical attacks as well with the same destructive power as Sonic.

Nobody said that he was weak in general. He's as supernatural as the rest of the cast, but saying he's physically weaker than them doesn't actually sell him short considering his intellect causes him to outshine the others in many aspects.

He's only weak in relative to the rest of the cast; His abilities aren't as standout as everyone else but makes up for it with his technical skill.

Sonic & Tails just decided to leave the park after the first world, they would have won anyway. So Sonic was completely right when he said Tails didn't do shit because he really didn't, but the game sure as hell tries to convince you otherwise. In Generations, he's there...yea.

I can agree with you on Colors, but to be fair Generations was about celebrating Sonic, all the other characters were fairly out of the limelight. In my opinion they just need to improve on Tails being the smarts and Sonic being the one to kick ass fast. That's if Tails isn't playable. If they make him playable again in an actual story driven game that's different.

Edited by Snail Blaster

Yeah, relative to everyone else he's physically weak. By merit of being a video game character he still has superhuman abilities. His physical powers are just outdone by well, everyone. He makes up for it by being a tech wiz.

Not entirely sure there's a solid definition over who's a weak character when the weakest in the cast is essentially a six year old game breaker named, Cream (and Cheese).

That and said weak characters are still capable of taking down killer war machines even in story. But it's whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now, it all depends, are we are looking at it from a Physical point of view? Then he he may seem weak , but strength  is relative. Tails is strong. No matter what, he always stands strong, and pushes forward. He works hard, and puts the needs of his friends before himself. He cares about everyone he meets, and tries his best so he can help them better.  He may need to rely on Sonic once in a while for a confidence boost, but would the battle against the Egg Carrier have been possible if it were not for Tails' being there? the Tornado was destroyed and Tails fixed it. Would Sonic had been able to understand the Wisps if Tails didn't translate? Ya know, even though he doesn't say it, or try to show it, Sonic relies on Tails just as much as he relies on Sonic.

That is strength, howbeit, not physical. Just like the Song "We Can" from Sonic Heroes:

We Can

... Together we can overcome all the odds,

It's never hard as it seems,

Everyone can do something special,

The secret is sharing our dreams!

We can Make it,

If we all stick together,

We won't give up not ever,

Everything's gonna be alright,

We are free now,

The best thing is in eachother,

Together we are stronger than anyone else could be on their own,

So much better than alone!

(lyrics quoted from memory.... accuracy is questionable...)

they are strong because they have each other! smile.png

Edited by knucklesgirl