Awoo.

Does Tails need to be the sidekick anymore?

Kuzu

That doesn't really excuse the lack of other recurring antagonists though.

But that wasn't what you said, you said that Eggman isn't as vital to the series as Sonic, which is what I was disagreeing with. Sonic can have other Antagonists, but there's no reason why he can't fight Eggman along the way. We went through a whole era of Sonic fighting everyone but Eggman and that was generally considered the lowest point of the series.

While I don't believe everyone needs a staring role in every sonic game (for example, blaze, charmy, espio and the like)

I do believe that it is important to have Sonic have other characters, particularly Tails, Knuckles and Amy, so he can show off his personality more. If these characters are absent from a game, Sega usually sticks fillers in anyway (AKA, "New Characters"). why not make them Tails, Knuckles and Amy? 

Personally, since Rouge became Knuckles' Amy, I would like to see her sometimes, just to develop their relationship a bit, and I do believe the other new characters can have a place for screen time in certain games where they would fit, but in the main stream games, they don't always need to be there... But Tails, Knuckles and Amy do!

You realize you're not solving the problem and are still neglecting characters right? All you're doing is adding more characters to primarily be focused on while nobody else is getting any focus.

Seriously, what is wrong with focusing on ALL of the cast? Is there some type of law dictating that Sonic is only allowed to interact with three to four characters at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, what is wrong with focusing on ALL of the cast? Is there some type of law dictating that Sonic is only allowed to interact with three to four characters at a time.

Probably the risk of having things like Heroes or Sonic 06 again and having the focus spread too thin, but that can easily be solved by having the person making the story knowing what they're doing and not just making any plot the way they want and expecting praise for making one.

Although there's nothing wrong with alternating and having a smaller cast.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

You realize you're not solving the problem and are still neglecting characters right? All you're doing is adding more characters to primarily be focused on while nobody else is getting any focus.

Sorry, actually, I totally agree with you. I hated the way the characters are portrayed in Generations.... they have misplaced personalities and voices tongue.png

I tend to be a compromiser in debates to try to resolve the problem.... it doesn't always work smile.png

Like I said, I think the "other" characters(as people seem to describe them) should have screen time and more set personalities. Oh yeah, and Tikal should make an appearance:)

I think Sega spends so much time trying to prove who Sonic is, that they made him a generic character! He lacks the personality and spunk that he used to have, and is now more like Mario: lacking a real Identity.A real personality can only be made with relating to other people who have real personalities smile.png

Why can't they expand on Knuckles' rivalry with Sonic? Or tell us exactly where Tikal randomly floated off to? And , since they have since caused so much confusion, who exactly is Blaze, where is she from and is she Silver's guardian, or the Sol Emeralds'?!?

I totally agree, they could even make games where Sonic is a side character for once, or even absent. I mean, apparently, Tails and Knuckles were planning to head off their search for Eggman alone in Sonic Heroes, but then they spotted Sonic, and invited him along ...And isn't he supposed to be a bit of a introvert? running away from people when his adventures end? (like SA?) so wouldn't he be away sometimes? (so many questions!)

Here, I have proof for the statement I made about Sonic Heroes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0Ra3lD9D8

I mean, it is possible they were looking for Sonic, but they seemed surprised to see him eh?

Edited by knucklesgirl
  • Thumbs Up 2

But that wasn't what you said, you said that Eggman isn't as vital to the series as Sonic, which is what I was disagreeing with. Sonic can have other Antagonists, but there's no reason why he can't fight Eggman along the way. We went through a whole era of Sonic fighting everyone but Eggman and that was generally considered the lowest point of the series.

I wasn't trying to say that he isn't vital. I just meant that he doesn't need to be in every game before we can call it a true Sonic game. I still think the only character we should expect perfect attendance from is Sonic himself.

Now I think about it, what exactly are the stipulations of Dr. Eggman's inclusion? Does the man actually have to make a physical appearance, or can his presence be shown mainly through his army of robots?

By the , I think this conversation has gone a bit off topic. Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Tails?

Well... I read the OP in this topic and Tails did go solo twice in two different video games Tails Skypatrol, and Tails Adventure. While the gameplay in both games are slightly different than the other games that came out around the time, they still were adored by many fans. However many people probably think of Tails as soon as they hear someone talking about Sonic, because ever since Sonic 2 came out the duo became pretty famous. I still think Tails should be the sidekick in some games, but I think he also deserves to have another solo adventure again but with gameplay similar to the other Sonic games platforming, and action. (So pretty much another spin off game that plays similar to the main series.)

I still think Tails should be the sidekick in some games, but I think he also deserves to have another solo adventure again but with gameplay similar to the other Sonic games platforming, and action. (So pretty much another spin off game that plays similar to the main series.)

I actually think the "sidekick" role by this point is just an assumption. Normally sidekicks are fairly disposable, whereas it looks like Tails and Sonic's relationship is more one of symbiosis. Not only are they so close they may as well be brothers, but they complete each other's voids quite well; Sonic's not a tech wiz and Tails fills that. Tails can't destroy hordes of enemies as easily as Sonic, and so Blue fixes that problem. While Sonic is the main character, the way I see it Tails is the third-most important character. How would Sonic have foiled so many of Eggman's schemes without Tails' genius?

The fact Eggman often is in a sky fortress and Tails has a natural and mechanical ability to fly also is very symbolic of their rivalry, as well. Tails is very clearly just as smart (if not smarter) than Eggman; he lacks the resources to match Eggman on his own, however. Sonic makes up for this enormously. But rather than creating dependence on Sonic, we must also remember Sonic's dependent on Tails as well for his know-how.

Consider, for example, that if not for Tails' mentioning of fake emeralds having the same wavelength and properties, Sonic would likely be a bunch of hedgehog pieces drifting through space!

Nah, he probably would have tried Chaos Control anyway. If Tails was able to make Eggman have to trick Tails into telling that the Emerald was fake, then it must have been a good fake in more than just appearance, and Sonic knows this. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

Nah, he probably would have tried Chaos Control anyway. If Tails was able to make Eggman have to trick Tails into telling that the Emerald was fake, then it must have been a good fake in more than just appearance, and Sonic knows this.

Sonic clearly thought about the wavelengths and properties comment, though.

Then again, without Tails there wouldn't have been an emerald anyway...

Overall I think this illustrates he's not just a sidekick; he sounds like he's pretty darn equal to me. Sidekicks just are there for the extra firepower; it sounds like Sonic and Tails are a team and equal contributors to their mission. The key quality of a sidekick is subordinate status to the superhero; it doesn't seem to me like Tails is subordinate in any way, shape or form. In fact, doesn't he hate when anyone even implies that?

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really care about him being a sidekick or not. But I want to play as him also... it has been such a long time since SEGA has released a game with Tails playable in it. (Except multiplayer)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 years later...

I think Tails should progress into a character like Knight Wing where he is not a sidekick anymore but he will be there for Sonic if he needs him. SPOILERS: Like how Tails left Sonic in Sonic and Tails R episode 10 but said he will always be their if he needs him!

Fun reading all of these. Must've been fun living in a time before Lost World and Forces did to Tails what Mephiles did to Sonic. (Cos Mephiles stabbing Sonic is like what those games did to Tails but not from a literal sense, but in the metaphorical character sense... yeah should've rethought that analogy.)

24 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Fun reading all of these. Must've been fun living in a time before Lost World and Forces did to Tails what Mephiles did to Sonic. (Cos Mephiles stabbing Sonic is like what those games did to Tails but not from a literal sense, but in the metaphorical character sense... yeah should've rethought that analogy.)

Um... not really to be honest? This post was made in 2013. From the mid-2000s onward Tails got constantly shafted. In fact that is why Tails has more screentime now (even though it is awful, poorly utilized and he deserves better).

You had the storybook games where he was just a minor background person and replaced by Sonic's new friend. Then you had Unleashed where he was replaced by Chip and while he was understandably overwhelmed against strange enemies, the scene everyone remembers is of him hiding. It eventually got to the point where people felt like Tails was being abandoned as the sidekick. 

I agree his portrayal in the recent games has been bad though. Just that this has been a problem long before LW. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2013 at 11:57 AM, Kuzu said:

So I was discussing Tails with a friend of mine on another forum and his character throughout the series and how its changed over time. One subject that he brought to my attention was how he felt Tails` role as sidekick was holding him back as a character. 

Now how did he come to this conclusion? Well before Sonic Adventure Tails was more or less just a tagalong. He followed Sonic everywhere in an attempt to try and be of use and looked up to Sonic greatly and aspired to be like him. Then came Sonic Adventure where he had his own story arc which resulted in him realizing that he can accomplish great feats without Sonic needing to hold his hand. This was carried onto Sonic Adventure 2 where he's the one mostly calling the shots on the hero's side, he's so effective that when Sonic looks like he's seemingly going to die, he entrusts Tails to finish up the job they started. So at this point, Tails has not only proven himself a great hero in his own right but a worthy successor should anything happen to Sonic. Then Heroes sticks him right back into the dependent sidekick role and acted like none of that happened. Then for years they tried to make him both independent as a character but at the same time still play sidekick to Sonic resulting in Tails` only contributions to the series being whatever new gadget Sonic needed at the time and not only never having any adventures of his own but not even being apart of the action with Sonic.

This results in Colors & Generations which basically spells out how useless Tails has become in the grand scheme of things. In former, the game tries to make it seem like Tails contributed by being a translator for the wisp so Sonic would know what he had to do...except that the translator hardly ever worked aside from making dumb nonsensical jokes, Sonic was already destroying generators before Tails even told him that's what he had to do, and probably the biggest kick in the balls is that the entire game is rendered moot after the first  boss on account of a piece of debris sabotaging the Mind control ray. So if for any unexplained reason, Sonic & Tails just decided to leave the park after the first world, they would have won anyway. So Sonic was completely right when he said Tails didn't do shit because he really didn't, but the game sure as hell tries to convince you otherwise. In Generations, he's there...yea.

So yes, Tails is currently in a limbo or sorts as a character. Its obvious Sega are keeping him as a sidekick for the sake of nostalgia but at the same time are trying to find some use for him to call back to his development from Sonic Adventure. So what do you think? Should Tails be able to branch off as his own character based on his character arc in Adventure, or should they just keep him as the sidekick to Sonic's adventures.

I think a good way to Handel Tails is to make him a support character that helps Sonic and friends. Not as a sidekick but as a main character that is Sonic’s brother but still is equal to Sonic. Think Crash Bandicoots sister she is a character that supports Crash like Tails does with Sonic but she is considered a main character.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mean in my opinion Tails isn’t always the sidekick and a good example is that Tails has equal importance in the final story of Sonic Adventure 2. No one talks about that and he had his own story in Sonic battle and shows up as his own character in Shadow’s game. I wouldn’t even say he is a sidekick in Sonic Forces sense he supports multiple people and is (maybe) the big brother figure to Classic Sonic. Man though wish Forces was a better game..

• Thumbs Up 1