Awoo.

Mando's Maveric Artwork: no more hedgehogs, Supervillains rule

Mando-Whirl-Wind

The Drawing continues, was originaly going to do some more stuff like wolfman, but couldnt focus on my subject, so decided to try some from scratch stuff, and did a little, and its improving somewhat! so here is the newest batch for feedback

Scanned_Image_1-21-14.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so more drawing, and I have been improving! built these using actual people on this one to help me with shape and proportion, but then tried and do cartoony and my own style somewhat, and I do think I improving
did them in this order: middle female(based off Helen Reddy), then the one on the right(one of the beegees), and on the left is Leo Sayer which I drew last

Scan12214.jpg

As always feedback is appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, my advice?

You appear to be skipping the structure stage and going straight for the lineart. Not recommended.

Apologies if I'm wrong about that, but I feel like your work would benefit from, well, that structure stage. I find it helps to plan out the entire character before you start with lineart- even the bits of the character that aren't necessarily visable, like an arm hidden behind them, or a foot that's just out of the panel (in a comic, anyway).

Other than that, practice your ass off! :V

Hm, my advice?

You appear to be skipping the structure stage and going straight for the lineart. Not recommended.

Apologies if I'm wrong about that, but I feel like your work would benefit from, well, that structure stage. I find it helps to plan out the entire character before you start with lineart- even the bits of the character that aren't necessarily visable, like an arm hidden behind them, or a foot that's just out of the panel (in a comic, anyway).

Other than that, practice your ass off! :V

Nope, you are correctly right, and I do know its a problem, but I havent figured out a way to build up those skills, and because of it, at the moment I really cant do lineart, least not well, anybody have any ideas on something I could use to actualy practice it? I mean when I draw I can see the details and base structure, but cant keep consistent with my base structure which is why my from scratch ones usualy mess up

So yes help would be appreciated, and yes zolo I am practicing :P

Ok, so I kinda took the past 2 days off, however I have something new now, so say hello to my first two recurring OCs:
Res, and Seb

scan1-25-14SebRes0001.jpg

So first off, I finally managed to do some structual profiles! not perfect, but now that I can do it a lot more practice and I will improve

So this the base version of both of them, I plan to keep developing and making them until I have a final designs for each I like, and I get better at posing and recreating the same person, and Seb(the guy of course) who is already loosely based off me will be my reprensation in the hourly comic day, and thats why I definately have a bit of practice to do for next weekend XD

The are a pair and exist in this sorta universe I am developing, they are a team of explorers, and also pilots, Seb is a engineer and inventor, and usualy has a book or old handheld on him, and is clusmy, While Res is a mechanic, and also an engineer, is a lot more competent with her hands, and is generaly trying to fix or improve their equipment
And they both have goggles XD

So yes I know they are both rough and I have a lot of work to do, but feedback is appreciated

Oh, and I do plan to create another pair of OCs to complement these two, but dont know when they will be done, but one will proably be a buddy, and the other a rival of sorts. planning to have a couple of base characters to just work on and do again and again until I have solid designs, and a better sense of drawing and designs

So see ya again soon

Oh and I do plan to get a couple sketchpads soon, say any suggestions on good, but affordable ones?

Nope, you are correctly right, and I do know its a problem, but I havent figured out a way to build up those skills, and because of it, at the moment I really cant do lineart, least not well, anybody have any ideas on something I could use to actualy practice it? I mean when I draw I can see the details and base structure, but cant keep consistent with my base structure which is why my from scratch ones usualy mess up

Well, since you're already familiar with 3D modelling programs, you could try using them to set up some basic still lifes. Throw down a plane and a light, drop some primitives in, find a nice camera angle, and see if you can replicate it on paper. Look up some perspective tutorials, see how they apply to your 3D cubes, then try drawing some yourself. Find some basic shading tutorials and try out some spheres, cylinders, and cones. It's not as interesting as drawing people, but I think it helps build up your understanding of 3D space in a 2D drawing.

Once you start getting comfortable with that, move up to more complex forms, made up of multiple simpler forms. Instead of drawing a fully detailed character, try drawing something more like a wooden mannequin; build up the basic shapes of each body part, stay sketchy and loose, don't worry about the details so much. Get a sense of how the limbs connect and move. Draw different poses and see how the limbs look from different perspectives. Looking at anatomical drawings also helps; try to find the major bones and muscle groups and see how they equate to the overall shapes. And when you get some that you like, clean them up, put some skin on them, fill in the details a bit.

Well, since you're already familiar with 3D modelling programs, you could try using them to set up some basic still lifes. Throw down a plane and a light, drop some primitives in, find a nice camera angle, and see if you can replicate it on paper. Look up some perspective tutorials, see how they apply to your 3D cubes, then try drawing some yourself. Find some basic shading tutorials and try out some spheres, cylinders, and cones. It's not as interesting as drawing people, but I think it helps build up your understanding of 3D space in a 2D drawing.

Once you start getting comfortable with that, move up to more complex forms, made up of multiple simpler forms. Instead of drawing a fully detailed character, try drawing something more like a wooden mannequin; build up the basic shapes of each body part, stay sketchy and loose, don't worry about the details so much. Get a sense of how the limbs connect and move. Draw different poses and see how the limbs look from different perspectives. Looking at anatomical drawings also helps; try to find the major bones and muscle groups and see how they equate to the overall shapes. And when you get some that you like, clean them up, put some skin on them, fill in the details a bit.

Hmmm, interesting though, but I've found so far that I just really need to work on practicing them and finding decent refs for other poses, I actualy did manage to make the profiles for these newest one

Add to thta I am working on my drawing skills so I can learn how to better apply them TO my modeling skills so I can do better with proportions and the like

Ok, so something fun and a bit jokey, I did a little more funnish drawing, and sorta sonic fan-art!
A little disclaimer, this is not intended to be mean or insulting to SheWhoRantsTooMuch, but rather a nod towards her username and avatar, and how someone can be chatty to the point of being oblivious while in the pursuit of something

Also all the sonic characters I made using various sprites as a reference, lets see if you can name them all(and who the crushed bot is :D ) I will admit the orbot was a little sloppy and I rushed eggman a little, orbot was a last minute edition to explain the uncouncious eggman's movement

Scan_12614.jpg

This drawing was more for me to release some tension than anything else, not really looking for feedback, but I think I pulled off a decent nack for my first time drawing a sonic character heheh

So enjoy, feel free to respond though

• Thumbs Up 2

I like it, I really like the iteration of vector that you have here, he looks really funny.

I like it, I really like the iteration of vector that you have here, he looks really funny.

Thanks, based the drawing one of his Knuckles' chaotix sprites

Ok, so something fun and a bit jokey, I did a little more funnish drawing, and sorta sonic fan-art!

A little disclaimer, this is not intended to be mean or insulting to SheWhoRantsTooMuch, but rather a nod towards her username and avatar, and how someone can be chatty to the point of being oblivious while in the pursuit of something

Also all the sonic characters I made using various sprites as a reference, lets see if you can name them all(and who the crushed bot is :D ) I will admit the orbot was a little sloppy and I rushed eggman a little, orbot was a last minute edition to explain the uncouncious eggman's movement

Scan_12614.jpg

This drawing was more for me to release some tension than anything else, not really looking for feedback, but I think I pulled off a decent nack for my first time drawing a sonic character heheh

So enjoy, feel free to respond though

D'aw, Eevee is so cute! So much is going on around him and all the little angel wants to do is play. Such a sweet heart~<3 Thanks!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so got something new for drawing, did this yesterday and had some fun, even if a little over the top, and using it as more practice as well and first drawing in the notebook, got a darkened and non-darkened, but the darkened is easier to see

DK3Stanleymoded.jpg

DK3Stanley0001.jpg

More for fun, but tell me what you think, but plan to get in some more practice soon

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so yesterday I ddid a drawing, and I did 3 more today, first three are from StarTropics:
Mike Jones, based this off one of the images in the revenge of zoda's manual
scan21614Num0001.png

Now here is Zoda the villian, in his default form, did my best, though torso was tricky since its suppossed to be always in shadow, did a rough tunic

Zoda0001.png

And now here are the 3 alternate forms of his clones from the sequel, little rough, but for fun

scan0003.png

And now this final one is intended as a pick me up for Spin Attax, did my attempt at his newest drawing of his character Jessica, as I needed extra practice, hope you enjoy, did it to show that all of us practice, and we just need to keep going at it to get better, I am already better in general than I was a month ago, even if at the moment I can only really get poses off other drawings

scan0002.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Aw, thanks! That's actually pretty on model - you even got the flat chest and everything!

If I had to criticise it, I'd say some of your art could benifit from straight lines and a sense of proportion in places (e.g. it kinda looks like one foot's larger than the other). Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful you took the time to do this, but everything looks kinda rigid in some places and the polar opposite in others. Also, your lineart (mostly the faces/mouths) is a bit "sketchy", giving things a bit of a "murky" look.

But hey I gave her a big head and a small hoodie so what do I know :U

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never did say it, but thanks Spin Attax

So time for a small update, this week(well at least this upcoming week), I am trying to do at least one ref sketch a day so that I can get in plenty of practice, and also work on a couple of my weak spots like female clothing curvature, and some facial stuff(outlines, some hair stuff, and NOSES darn you Noses!), so how does that invovle you guys? well I can track some down myself, but wanna work on a decent variety of stuff so:

I am now open to REQUESTS! primary criteria is simply this: Its modest and Clean, and preferably a real life person or thing over another drawing, and proably not too busy

So ya, I knoww I'm not that great an artist yet, but figure we ought to have at least one interested person or two, so here is your chance!

um there was criteria, and I saw your request, but I do have plans to do a form of luigi

Ok, so here are most of my drawing attempts from this week(mostly)
First is actualy from last week, I was considering boomifing the Kirby cast, but didn't get beyond 2 concepts and a rough adeline drawing

scan1kirbyboom.jpeg

Now here was my take on Spin attax's character as requested(yes I know the legs are kinda lousy)

pinattaxs2character.jpeg

Now here is what I did for thursday and friday,I combined mario characters with musicians
Wafred Wann (Waluigi and Manfredd Man, consider this one the best of the bunch)

Luigee Gibb(Luigi and barry gibb)

and Mareo(mario and leo sayer I consider it the worst)

WafredWah.jpeg

As always feedback and constructive critcism is always nice

and time to keep up normal practice, still up to requests

Well if a critique is what ur a wantin'.

pinattaxs2character.jpeg

I'll start with the image with the girl. Alright, right off the body is not proportioned right. Her right arm looks like it could be about as long as her entire body if it were extended. She has an awkward way of holding a lantern, and  I can't tell if you want the arm to be extended out facing the viewer or viewed from a side angle? Her body is pretty stumpy, she's got a very long torso with short stubby legs. Since it is a female character, I'd say try to give her some curves, I'm not saying make a sexy girl but humans have some curvature. For the hair I'd suggest being more loose with it, right now its very static. Lastly, while I'm not good at drawing animals, the cat seems like it might either be frightened or ready to pounce our little maiden. I'm kind of cliche while saying this but, study some anatomy and figure drawing. Andrew Loomis, George Bridgman have some nice books, Loomis might be easier to follow though. Also check out Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist By Stephen Rogers Peck, its a very good book, it has lots of example sketches  and informative, gotta put in the reading time though (which I've yet to do haha). Drawing is a lot easier when you know and understand what you're trying to (thinking of word)... create?

scan1kirbyboom.jpeg

The first image you posted, I'll start with Dedede (Not sure if I spelled it right?). Looks like you were going for a Knuckles Boom edition for Dedede. He needs some muscle, right now he just has some little noodles for arms. And one arm is bigger than the other one. Maybe a little shading on his beak and hat so they don't look so flat, because right now his beak just looks like really big lips. Does he have dreadlocks? Moving on to Kirby, he needs to be more round, and so do the goggles. I don't really have much to say about Kirby besides make him curvalicious, he really doesn't have any pointy limbs. The painter dude is alright, but fix his face, he's got an eye that's about to fall off his face. One of his shoes is bigger than the other one.

WafredWah.jpeg

Finally the Mario musicians.  Not sure what's going on with Mario's pants (well endowed ohohoho *shot*). I'm not sure if that's an undershirt the pants are connected to or not but it looks like he's wearing a diaper over his pants haha.  His neck is kind of thick, like  unnatural. I like your Waluigi, he's full of energy. One problem with him though is his legs are just off. The human body is not perfect but Waluigi's left and right leg are different sizes. For all of them just work on their body structures, which pretty much just comes from practicing and studying anyway, so yea just draw a lot haha. As for Luigi the guitar (same for Waluigi) is out of shape and not proportioned right. But that's about all I have to say man, other than your Luigi hybrid reminds me of the Gorman Brothers from Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask only with more class XD.

Gorman_Brother_2.png

But anyway, keep up the drawing Mando, never give up!

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the Mario drawings. Especially how similar Luigi. Looks like Barry Gibb. I love it keep em coming 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got some good news.... and a kinda need for help, the good news is that my headaches are finally gone and I can focus, the bad news is that I seriously need to put in some ref and general practice, and really want to work on some female drawing so I can work on some OC's I have had bouncing around in my head.... Problem is that I cant seem to use human refs(I have a guesture/pose ref site or two).... So I guess I am open to requests suggestions or ideas please

Ok, so here is my newest thing, nothing major, but I would like to hone these two into recurring OCs, but first need to work on body figure... and actualy being able to make them again, this is also what I just posted in the Artist association thread, thus why its an attachment rather than hosted elsewhere

post-4375-0-25902600-1396230948_thumb.jp

Also, in reply to condor comment over in the other thread. I dont mind doing a variety of clothing, coming up with it isnt too hard, implementing it is the only challenge. And yes I do need to work on my line work a bit, one of the issues is that doing it lighter has proved a challenge since I use a mechanical pencil, and even though I have a normal pencil or two, I am more used to the weight of the mech, so the lighter feel of the normal takes some getting used to. So ya, I will try to work on smoothing out my lines, however I think I need to expand my tools a little too, as thick lines are hard to do with a Mech pencil. So Ya, thanks for your advice, I'll take it into mind

• Thumbs Up 1

I just wanted to say, your art is improving very quickly!

I saw you said you were having a hard time figuring out how to draw the structure before the line drawing. One thing I recommend is a basic anatomy course. If you are like me, you don't like going into nude drawings or what not. and you don't really have to. Basic shapes is basically all you need. I See your style isn't manga, but Christopher hart's "Manga Mania" or "shoujo mania" are both good references for drawing anatomy without explicit detail.  Another thing I did to learn how to draw was buy Micheal Teitelbaum's(spelling may be off unsure.png ) how to draw books. they have all kinds of ones, particularly focused on video game characters, I felt that helped me see the shapes in things easier as well. 

I think your work is coming out great though, super job on your improvements smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Ok you guys, so I've been stalling out on drawing, and I've decided to work on my modeling a bit more, and I just figured out something I would like to try... only issue is that I kinda need the help of an actual drawing artist with a skill and an idea. Essentialy, what I'm thinking is that I'd like to try and take my hand at making some N64/5th gen level character models, the only thing is that I could use some concepts/ideas

So yeah, I'm pretty open, only caveat is that you preferably do a front and side view(and maybe a perspective), and I am open to multiple/ a group. Going to try and do both model simple textures, and perhaps even rig it, but thats if I'm feeling up to it. Yes this is free, and primarily for fun, but I could use the practice, and I figure we ought to have a person or two here who might be interested

And on a final note, dont go overboard on detail, I'll do what I can but there are no guarentees on this

Ok, so been working on a new model for a day or so, its a MK8 concept bike, Its called the Snapjaw special, for DK Jr made of various objects from his game, like a snapjaw fueltank(and fenders), and a vine covered seat

about to start the frame so that I can do more of the details, oh and of couse its still quite a wip

post-4375-0-49902500-1398482610.jpg

post-4375-0-49902500-1398482610_thumb.jp