Awoo.

The 8-bit Tetralogy

JezMM

A bit of history, I played Sonic Triple Trouble on a Chinese multicart on my Game Gear years ago (it was the Japanese version Sonic & Tails 2, the English name confused me until a bit later and it was listed on the menu as Sonic 4) and really really enjoyed it. Even my mum enjoyed playing that game even though she didn't get past the first boss. Then came Sonic 2 on the Game Gear and that game was so hard as a child since most of the time I couldn't beat the first boss due to the randomised balls that dropped down, only did it once or twice. It wasn't until years later when I was gifted a Master System was I able to play Sonic 1 and enjoyed it, also it wasn't until I got Sonic 2 Master System was I able to appriciate the game. As for Sonic Chaos, that was via emulation.

Anyway Sonic 1 is a nice start to the 8-bit series. Graphics are quite good (a bit basic for the system though) and even though there weren't many enemies the frame rate felt fast. While it wasn't as momentum based as the Mega Drive version, there were still solid parts of platforming and good level design. The only problem and I didn't realise it until Joe Redifer from GameSack/Sega-16 pointed this out and that is the collision detection is a bit off. After hearing about this, recently replayed the game and his point was true especially regarding the Jungle Boss since I got killed and the spike wasn't near me.

Sonic 2 is a tail (bad pun) of 2 versions. The Master System version and the Game Gear version. In general; the game had better graphics, the level design had more of a challenge, the bosses started being more unique as in more than just Dr. Robotnik and felt better programming compared to the original (collision detection is better). It is weird that an underground stage is the first stage compared to a Green Hill type of stage of a typical Sonic game (Green Hills is the 4th stage in the game). Now here are the differences, the Master System is easier due to not only is it easier to see the stages but also the first boss doesn't have randomised balls however the frame rate is worse compared to the original game but not as bad as Sonic Chaos since it is like some later Master System games (such as Deep Duck Trouble where slowdown is plentyful unlike the Game Gear version). Plus it has the Power Sneakers with its unique song. Oh and there are two versions of this on the Master System, one of them has a bug in Gimmick Mountain that the later revision fixed so on the earlier version be careful not to fall.

Game Gear version is really hard and lucky to complete the game due to the smaller screen size and the randomised balls (tip: pause every 5 seconds). I don't know if there are harder Sonic games but it is probably be like Dark Souls of Sonic or something. At least the plus is that there is now an extra song that sounds pretty good if you can get there... Or download a VGM rip.

Sonic Chaos I have barely played but the Master System and the Game Gear versions have enough differences from title screen to the music. It does seem to be the weakest for the 4 games (excluding Sonic Blast) in my opinion due to finding it a bit bland but I suppose Aspect did it to balance the Game Gear version. It probably needs a serious play to see it it changes my opinion.

Sonic Triple Trouble is pretty much my favourite game (Sonic 1 and 2 are closely behind) and it easier to link what I said in the past: Out of the 4 8-bit games, I still play on this one from time to time.

Oh and forgot to mention, all four games have pretty good soundtracks proving that a weaker sound chip can have good music.

Sonic 1's 8-bit soundtrack is one of the best handheld game soundtracks I have EVER heard, It's just amazing, the best ones being Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone and Sky Base.

You gotta thank Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi composer) for that. Every song in the game sounds really catchy and even a few songs were remixed a couple of times but not sure (Jungle Zone alter the basic melody and became Tomato Convienence Store from Shenmue and the credits became Savanna Citadel from Sonic Unleashed or at least I think it was that stage, the Trailer version is more closer to the original). In fact I prefer his Labyrinth Zone music than the Genesis version.

• Thumbs Up 1