Awoo.

Some theory I thought of.

Sоnic

So in Sonic Adventure 2, You know how Shadow sacrifices himself to save the Earth? As I recall, He fell down to Earth and the Air Pressure made him lose his memory. (But he slowly regains in in Sonic Heroes) (Correct me if I'm wrong here) This same thing happens in Sonic Unleashed. Sonic falls from Space to Earth because Eggman Forced him to after he became a Werehog. Don't you think the same Effect SHOULD of Happened to Sonic like to Shadow?

You know how when something falls from Space to Earth, A Red Firey Aura surrounds it as it falls? That's that It's Air Pressure I think.

There is no air in space so shadow would've lost his memory from landing on the ground head first or something.

I would say that Shadow's memory loss is more likely due to burning himself out fighting the Biolizard/Finalhazard rather than the fall itself. Or a combination of them, as well as the impact with the ground (if that happened). Sonic's situation was not quite the same, aside from the falling-from-space part, so it's not unreasonable for him to not lose his memory due to it.

Joke answer: Sonic did get amnesia, but he transferred it to Chip when he landed on him.

• Thumbs Up 2

From Space to Earth. The faster you fall the more air gets you on earth. -Mega

Regardless on whether or not a fall from space can make you lose your memory or not (hint: it won't make you lose your memory... it'll turn you into a red squishy pancake)... it's ultimately irrelevant, because according to Shadow the Hedgehog's own game, he was rescued by Eggman's robots before he fell to his death.

• Thumbs Up 5

Regardless on whether or not a fall from space can make you lose your memory or not (hint: it won't make you lose your memory... it'll turn you into a red squishy pancake).

You're forgetting, this is space as understood in the Sonic series :P

Sonic and co react to falling from space the same way we might react to tripping over our shoelaces.

It's more of a mild inconvenience than anything else :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's not forget that when SA2 was written, it was written as if Shadow fucking died. It was canon that Shadow actually died until Sonic Heroes came out and its all "LOL SHADOW'S ALIVE SOMEHOW"

• Thumbs Up 2

When Shadow fell from space, he had used his last reserves of chaos, so he was pretty much helpless. The same could apply to Sonic, but since his lycanthropy was caused by absorbing some of Dark Gaia's energy, it's possible that this protected him. I also have the feeling Shadow's memory loss wasn't caused entirely by the fall to Earth, but was partly due to his revival. After all, why would Dr. Eggman lie about Shadow's past if he wasn't trying to keep Shadow from remembering it?

For what its worth as well, even in SA2 Shadow's not got the best bit of brain between the spikes. What with the implications that his memories were altered by Gerald to suit his vengeful desires (how he did that when in prison we'll never know) and him only remembering Maria's last wish at the end.

It's not too much of a stretch to say Shadow's mind coulda been in a more fragile state.

Regardless on whether or not a fall from space can make you lose your memory or not (hint: it won't make you lose your memory... it'll turn you into a red squishy pancake)... it's ultimately irrelevant, because according to Shadow the Hedgehog's own game, he was rescued by Eggman's robots before he fell to his death.

Well, it's not really clear when/where he was rescued. In space, in Earth's atmosphere, in a crater...

Even if we say that Sonic was fine due to Chip's interference, considering in Advance 2, Sonic, Cream, Tails and Knuckles all happily leap from the orbiting Egg Utopia and land on their feet on the Earth's surface, I think this is something not worth enquiring into in terms of consistency.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I recall, Eggman saved Shadow before he fell to Earth, meaning that Shadow didn't fall on his own. When Eggman saved him, he took Shadow back to his base and kind of wiped out his Memory except Maria, then in Shadow the Hedgehog he just doesn't give a damn about it anymore.

For the record, Sonic actually did survive a fall to Earth from Space, basically in the same situation Shadow would have if he wasn't saved by Eggman. (Sonic X Episode 53)

When Eggman saved him, he took Shadow back to his base and kind of wiped out his Memory except Maria

I don't think it was ever suggested that Eggman wiped his memory.

I don't think it was ever suggested that Eggman wiped his memory.

Yeah, I think Eggman just saw the memory-loss as a serendipitous opportunity and ran with it. ...Which was kind of a short-sighted plan that hinged on Shadow never questioning why he got hungry, or tired, or any number of biological feelings that robots (or at least Badniks of Eggman's ability) do not typically experience.

Though I guess Shadow was pretty quick to buy whatever backstory anyone gave him by that point.

Edited by Doc Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly think pretty much any theory as to how Shadow lost his memory is probably better than what Sega's given us.  I could just as easily believe that Black Doom had asked Gerald to "program" Shadow to lose his memory shortly after coming in contact with all seven Chaos Emeralds (so that he could retrieve the Chaos Emeralds for himself without overpowering him) as I could Shadow hitting his head really hard.

While it's true that it was never explicitly stated, and probably isn't the case, that Eggman did wipe Shadow's memory, it does actually sound more plausible.  Remember that Rouge first found Shadow stashed in what is essentially Eggman's junk pile, submerged in some sort of stasis chamber or something.  It's possible that Eggman rescued Shadow, wiped his memory, and then used him as a template with which to mass produce his Shadow androids.  I don't think Eggman was expecting anyone to find Shadow, or Omega for that matter, but once he saw that Shadow had been set free, then he used it for his own gain.

Do I believe that's what happened?  Not really.  Sega probably just didn't think that far ahead and figured kids would just eat up any chance to have more Shadow, but I think it's a much more explainable theory than "air pressure" in space or hitting one's head really hard.  In any case, you never see Shadow actually falling to earth, so I always thought in SA2 that he burned up in the atmosphere or something.  Besides, I'm not sure if this was just for cinematic effect or what, but if he was falling to Earth, he seemed to be falling pretty slowly to do any harm to his cranium, let alone cause amnesia.

But I mean, debating space physics in Sonic games is a losing battle on any side, considering that hedgehogs can breathe in space and all that nonsense.

Edited by Akito

ANALYSIS TIME.

I've always been led to believe that Sonic characters have a much stronger durability than most living creatures would, which allows them their enhanced running ability, agility, and of course their supernatural powers. Therefore, a Sonic character could have a reasonable chance at surviving a fall from great heights, but not without consequences. In this case, that would be Shadow surviving the impact (barely), but also receiving cranial damage, hence his loss of memory. Also, you have to consider that the time it would take for Shadow to make impact on the ground would exceed the ring-count time the Super abilities allow, so he'd be normal by the time of impact, giving less opportunity for him to survive with no cranial damage that would result in memory loss.

As for Sonic, the Werehog is shown to be significantly powerful compared to the other Sonic characters, and that speaks in volumes. The Werehog's durability would be powerful enough to survive incredible falls due to the sheer size and muscle the Werehog possess. Because of this, I'm going to assume that the Werehog's bone structure also evolves to support the rest of the body's mass, especially the skull, and this assists in impacts and blow to the head. It also helps that the Werehog is in full effect with no way to "shut it off" when it is night, which is when the impact took place. Unlike the Super abilities, the Werehog can last as long as the moon is still present, hence his likeliness to survive the impact with no cranial damage. Am I claming the Werehog is more powerful than Super Sonic, HEEEELL TO THE NO, but having the Werehog at least prevents Sonic from more serious injury than he would've taken on.

Either, that, or "main character immunity." Or SEGA just not giving a crap, that works too.

I did all of that analysis before reading this post.

OOPS.

Hey, I think the question you have makes sense Sonic! But I must say, I think the only reason Shadow lost his memory was because he had in the last game, and they wanted him to remain "in character". Sonic should have lost his memories many times though... as well as other characters!

Edited by knucklesgirl

Perhaps it wasn't just his fall, but his stasis. Who's to say stasis can't give you some brain damage or memory loss? Shadow spent 50 years in it, after all, and had his memories enormously mixed up; while some consider Gerald to have tampered with them based on his diary, for all we know he lost parts of his memory in the process. Or he may have just reordered his memories into new ones so as to fit his selfish desires; why would he want to save the same race that took everything from him?

Pseudoscience as it is, it makes sense Shadow inevitably regains it all; to be immortal he has to have remarkable healing abilities. Logically any damage is undone over time.

Joke answer: Sonic did get amnesia, but he transferred it to Chip when he landed on him.

Officially part of my headcanon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't actually want to believe that Gerald reconfigured Shadow's memory or anything like that.  When I played through SA2's story, I was under the impression that Shadow was blinded by rage and emotional instability and therefore deliberately forgot about Maria's true wish until the very last part.

Remember that Shadow had expressed anxieties and confusion prior to the Ark being shut down.  Remember his little talk with Maria about how he wants to feel like he has a purpose?  Perhaps Gerald knew that although Shadow was physically very powerful, he was also very fragile emotionally.  After all, he created him, so it would only make sense that he would know both his strengths and weaknesses.  Once he got word of Maria's death and Shadow's arrest, he may have written in his diary about Shadow "filling the world with destruction," in reference to his violent temper.

This can be further evidenced in ShTH, whereby accumulating his negative energy allows you to perform a devastating and destructive attack.  It can be inferred, though not proven, that it's not the bad deeds themselves that enables Shadow to do the Chaos Blast, but the emotions behind the bad deeds.  Just like a real person with a violent temper, the more violent acts they perform, the harder it is for them to change their ways, and just like a real person with a violent temper, they'll attempt to rationalize it by blaming others or by citing a traumatic experience.  So with that said, Shadow channels all his negative emotions into the Chaos Blast.

So perhaps that's what Gerald meant.  He probably understood that Maria was his only purpose in life and knew that there was no telling what he might do if something happened to her.  I know that's probably a bit of a stretch because there's no way he could have known for absolute certain that Shadow would go as far as he did before he eventually opened his eyes and understood that what he was doing was wrong, but it's not completely farfetched from a fictional standpoint.  Besides... perhaps he didn't know.  He went insane.  Insane people don't always think on that level.  Also, it's reasonable to assume that Gerald didn't hear Maria's last words, so he probably didn't know that she'd ask him something like that.  For all he knew, Maria could have died as soon as the bullet went through her.

But I don't know.  I just don't want to believe that Shadow's memories were fabricated, rather, I tend to think that they were distorted by his own ambitions.

Edited by Akito

Perhaps Gerald knew that although Shadow was physically very powerful, he was also very fragile emotionally.  After all, he created him, so it would only make sense that he would know both his strengths and weaknesses.  Once he got word of Maria's death and Shadow's arrest, he may have written in his diary about Shadow "filling the world with destruction," in reference to his violent temper.

Huh, I actually really, really like this idea! It'd be like in Shutter Island's plot where the protagonist makes up a new life story for himself to try and cope with the guilt of his actions. It's a common theme in fiction for anyone whose mind has been warped in some manner to rearrange their memories, usually to hide something they regret. In Shadow's case maybe he just wanted to hide the fact he's supposed to help humanity so he could destroy them in good conscience.

I know that's probably a bit of a stretch because there's no way he could have known for absolute certain that Shadow would go as far as he did before he eventually opened his eyes and understood that what he was doing was wrong, but it's not completely farfetched from a fictional standpoint.

Actually, let's think about it. Gerald was more than just Shadow's creator. He was his father in every sense of the word; he even referred to Shadow as his "son" in ShTH. Their bond was familial as much as professional, clearly, and as a surrogate father, logically Gerald would know as much about him personally as he would scientifically. He may have known Shadow's capabilities as an experiment, but would also know everything about who he was as much as what he was. Such is the privilege of parenting!

There's a photo of Shadow, Gerald and Maria together in one of the manuals as I recall. It goes without saying they were one happy family. I wouldn't be surprised if Shadow never bonded with anyone else besides those two... and it makes sense he'd lose it with both of them being taken from him so quickly. That Shadow fills in the blanks in Maria's promise with "revenge" despite nothing in the flashback implying such does lend credence to the idea that it really was all his desire all along.

Never mind, how would Shadow's mind be tampered with? Besides the fact that sounds a little coocoo on its surface (you can't rewrite an organism's mind like a computer program), that would require the military let him work on Shadow further. While the Archie continuity showed Gerald working on Shadow post-arrest (as I recall), I don't think the games have shown anything of the sort, and indeed, given the whole reasoning of shutting down the ARK, I presume the last thing they'd want is for Gerald to get close to his creation.

I always took Shadow's first memory loss (the one in SA2) to be a trauma symptom. He watched his best friend/surrogate sister/ whatever being shot, then she jettisoned him into space and died. Then he was stuck in a tiny escape capsule, hurtling through the cold of outer space, before crashing on the planet (presumably) and being put into stasis (which I really can't imagine to be good for someone either). Then he's wakened up (by Eggman, who's very suitable company to give someone some mental stability), everyone he knew is dead, he's fifty years in the future, alone. The guy has all the rights to have serious issues.

As for the second time, I agree with Diogenes and say Shadow burned himself out in the fight (or by doing that huge Chaos Control to teleport the whole space station together with Sonic). If we assume at the end of Unleashed (after the fight with Dark Gaia, when he falls into the Colossus' hand and transforms back) Sonic passed out because he'd burned himself out or exhausted himself and drained the Chaos Emeralds of their energy, it makes a lot of sense that teleporting the ARK was a real problem. Each of Sonic and Shadow was running on half the normal power, if you want to think of the Chaos Emeralds' energy as a limited number. (I do. What can be exhausted isn't infinite.)

So, guess I'll say Shadow ran out of power and fainted from exhaustion, in outer space. Which is not healthy for you, people and hedgehogs. Also, I think Shadow might have died if he'd not been found by Eggman and put into the stasis tank to heal and recover where you find him in the beginning of Sonic Heroes. (No, I don't buy the immortality deal. Immortals are just hard to kill. I take it Shadow heals quickly, survives injuries, illness or exposure that would kill normal people, but no living creature is unkillable. Yes, that's totally a word.) Memory loss is not so uncommon after life-threatening injuries. Also, back to the trauma thing, I think it might as well be considered a traumatic experience to fall from outer space like that.

Sonic survived without harm because Chip saved him with that bubble force field thingy. Chip is a lot more powerful than people give him credit for.