Awoo.

[PC / PS3 / PS4 / PSV (ONLY ON REMOTE PLAY)] Final Fantasy XIV (Online): A Realm Reborn

\Lennox

Welp. Final Fantasy XIV. Something that people have been saying is worse than the XIII saga.

Much like what Squeenix has been doing with FFXIII and FFXIII-2, they've also been addressing the criticisms that have plauged FFXIV since its launch. In comes Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

ARR_FFXIV_Logo.png

Name: Final Fantasy XIV (Online): A Realm Reborn/ファイナルファンタジーXIV: 新生エオルゼア

Developer: Square Enix 3rd Production Development Division (known for Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy XI Online)
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4, PSV (with remote play)
Genre: Massively Multiplayer Online RPG
Verse: Eorzea
Release Date: August 27, 2013

Synopsis:

It has been five years after the Seventh Umbral Era of Eorzea.

You, as an adventurer have recently awoken from the Calamity that was caused by the release of Bahamut from Hydaelyn's Lesser Moon, Dalamud. As the Meteor was cast upon the planet, you were one of many adventurers that were meant to be the light flung into the future if ever the Garlean Empire would take control of three realms of Eorzea: Gridania, Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah.

The Garlean Empire was responsible for casting down Meteor onto the planet, in search of conquest over the remains that smoldered after the Calamity's aftermath.

That's where you come in.

Prepare for your quest for peace and stability by training in various guilds, vanquish various threats and explore the dungeons that await in this installment in the Final Fantasy franchise.

However, the threat of the Garlean Empire still hangs in the horizon. So press on!

Personal Opinion:

Okay, before anything, I just want people to know that I have been beta testing this game.

Thing is, so much seems to have changed and I actually like what they've done with it. The fatigue system has been removed, the graphics are actually better than the Crystal Tools games, and it feels more like a Final Fantasy game (purely qualitative, though).

The story's a little more on the traditional bent because you're involved with crystals from the beginning, but the battle system's the same. The HUD streamlines it a little more, though as when you're playing on a GamePad, using skills are more intuitive. It is still, however, a DPS race. You can use the subcommands tool to pretend it feels like a seamless ATB-styled game, but it won't reallt make a difference.

But still, I wasn't able to obtain those coveted Jobs. I was primarily a Lancer with a Pugilist class as my secondary, while my tertiar class was Culinarian. A Level 30 Lancer with the abilities of a Level 15 Pugilist would get you a Dragoon. To be fair, though, the beta test only allowed for classes to finish the game up to Level 15 quests, so ehh.

It was awesome, nonetheless. Oddly enough, it feels more social than it probably would in the final game. Like, people gave you Raises anytime you asked!

Gameplay Video (for those interested)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheVx68jhec

The sheer amount of alliteration in that title astounds me

Anyway, dunno how much I care about this since I kinda lack all of the platforms (PC is too shitty), but I think I might look into this a bit further and may consider it when I get my PS3 someday

Welp. Final Fantasy XIV. Something that people have been saying is worse than the XIII saga.

Well it wasn't really hard. Being an incomplete, shitty, and buggy game pretty much nets you an ass kicking from your fans.

Well it wasn't really hard. Being an incomplete, shitty, and buggy game pretty much nets you an ass kicking from your fans.

Well, not so much as hard, but worse in terms of critical reception. I mean, have you seen its review scores and fandom reactions? At least the XIII saga got some love on some level.

What pisses me off about XI and XIV is that not only is it an MMO and that it really should be a spinoff, but it's also lazily made and greedy as fuck. You need to pay for fucking EVERYTHING. I wish they'd just drop this game, but if they can truly improve it, I won't stop em.

Also the Fabula Nova Crystallis series (everything related to XIII) are just fine Final Fantasy games, even if a little unorthodox. I admit XIII was a little restricting to the player but the other games fixed that.

Edited by 少佐 Jin H. Kisaragi

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Here's a better MMO. Buy this instead.

It's free to pay with a buttload of content (apparently), can't leave that out.

Then again, most people are complaining about how free to play games have nothing on pay to play, even if content is the same. Beta testers--don't ever bring up the F2P argument on the FFXIV beta test forums. You'll be killed. To be fair, though, the fans are slightly elitist at those who want to jump in and brag about how they would do something in FFXI or the first iteration of FFXIV and exclude other players, so ehh.

• 1 month later...

So... for those who registered for the open beta, it starts tomorrow. You can also get early access (as in RIGHT NOW) if you've been a part of ARR's 3rd phase. :D

Be sure to keep watching this game folks, it's great.

• 3 weeks later...

Launch day was four days ago, just so you guys know. Sorry for the bump, but for those who have a copy of the game, be sure to go to Leviathan--that's now the official SSMB server. :D

Look out for Ryen Raftery--that's me. :D

It's an MMO, P2P isn't really surprising.

There are many people that prefer this way of handling MMORPGs as it reduces the need for stupid Pay2Win items and it allows a huge stream of content to be made.

Pay to win is purely the result of incompetent design. Other than being unoptimized as fuck, Guild Wars 2 only require one payment and then you're playing the most highly acclaimed MMORPG of 2012.

I highly doubt it'd kill Square of all companies to make this game a 1 payment only deal and make updates at the same time.

Hearing from people that play Guild Wars II, the content offerings aren't as up to par as games that offer subscription based models.

Apparently A Realm Reborn is REALLY good and will be offering tons of updates in the future. If they can keep the content flowing, I'm sure the $15 cost will be worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't trust Square to make a good MMO, but my cousin plays it so I might give it a go someday.

Feels like a waste of money, but I guess I'll find out what the big deal about P2P MMOs are.

Though I'd prefer to buy it through Steam. XI is on there, I don't see why XIV isn't.

Edited by Solkia

I don't trust Square to make a good MMO, but my cousin plays it so I might give it a go someday.

Feels like a waste of money, but I guess I'll find out what the big deal about P2P MMOs are.

Though I'd prefer to buy it through Steam. XI is on there, I don't see why XIV isn't.

Hey, to be fair, it is a good gateway for MMO's, though. PSO2 and XIV: ARR have really got me interested.

Apparently A Realm Reborn is REALLY good and will be offering tons of updates in the future. If they can keep the content flowing, I'm sure the $15 cost will be worth it.

$15 dollars for six months is actually pretty awesome. biggrin.png

Edited by Lennox

Hearing from people that play Guild Wars II, the content offerings aren't as up to par as games that offer subscription based models.

Oh? Who are these people, and what evidence did they provide?

I ask because I'm looking into purchasing Guild Wars II soon, and it is thus far almost infinitely more appealing than any other MMO I've looked at, although I haven't looked into Realm Reborn all that much. What compelling reasons are there to invest in this game, aside from 'It's better than he previous one'? (I didn't play the previous version, so it is irrelevant).

Edited by Heinous Creature

Oh? Who are these people, and what evidence did they provide?

I have a lot of friends who only play MMORPGs and they did end up going through Guild Wars II. They all say it's great, but the amount of fresh content is going to be slightly smaller due to the model that's being used. If you're looking into a cheap way to get into an MMO, Guild Wars II is brilliant. It's a great game and it's cheap. Sometimes they have 50% off sales on the game itself so you could very well find the game for $20-30 that you will end up playing for a long time.

I didn't really ask for deep opinions on Final Fantasy, but he keeps raving about it on Facebook. "Favorite MMO" "MMO of the decade" already is hyping me enough.

$15 dollars for six months is actually pretty awesome.

Where is this six months offer? I'm interested! I thought it was monthly?

Where is this six months offer? I'm interested! I thought it was monthly?

It says so in the product page under the Service Fees heading. I got enough UGC credits (that's an acceptable form of pay, BTW) to last me a year and a half upon conversion to Crysta.

It says so in the product page under the Service Fees heading. I got enough UGC credits (that's an acceptable form of pay, BTW) to last me a year and a half upon conversion to Crysta.

I looked under the service fees and I didn't see anything about 6 months $14.99.

;_;

;_;

ohshitohshitohshitohshitOSHITSORRY T^T

180-day subscriptions are worth $12.99 (cheaper than I thought they'd be)! That's the same price as an entry level-subscrption for 1 month!

ohshitohshitohshitohshitOSHITSORRY T^T

180-day subscriptions are worth $12.99 (cheaper than I thought they'd be)! That's the same price as an entry level-subscrption for 1 month!

Yeah but it's $12.99 monthly...

I would so jump in if it was $14.99 for 6 months lol.

Yeah but it's $12.99 monthly...

I would so jump in if it was $14.99 for 6 months lol.

Nope, as I said, that's for the entry-level subscribers. Here's the actual thing lifted off of the website:

K1PcoT1.png

So... any idea when Square-Enix is going to sell the game again? I played the beta and liked a lot and I don't even like MMOs that much. When I decided to buy the game (a friend of mine bought it, so I decided to jump in too) they had already stopped the sales :(