Awoo.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger Thread: Ty 1-3 All Being Re-Released on Steam

Tani Coyote

It all started with an E3 reveal…

Posing himself as someone who could easily usurp Sonic, Crash and Spyro (but humble enough to not dare challenge Mario), our little thylacine friend first emerged as a multiplatform title in 2002.

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_Coverart.jpg

Ty’s biggest quirk is his Boomerangs, or Rangs for short. Upgradeable as one progresses through the game, they can generate fire, ice, electricity, and a myriad of other powers, which are expanded even further in the sequels. These powers can be used to access new areas in earlier levels in order to collect everything the game has to offer… and if you are a lover of collectibles, this game sure has a lot of them (and it gets even better in later games).

Ty’s story centers around the struggle between the villain Boss Cass and Ty’s family, who protect a series of talismans that guard the entrance to the Dreamtime, an alternate reality. Cass hopes to use the talismans to banish all mammals from the Earth, but he is foiled; everyone except Ty pays the price and are sealed in the Dreamtime in the process, however.

Many years later, Ty (having been orphaned and raised by friendly creatures called Bilbies) becomes aware of his heritage and sets out to stop Cass all by himself, armed with only two Rangs and an assortment of buddies. He encounters a variety of enemies along the way, but he emerges victorious and is able to reunite with his family.

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_2_-_Bush_Rescue_C

By the time of Ty 2: Bush Rescue, Cass still has not given up his plans for world domination and quasi-genocide. Ever innovative, arranges being broken out from prison. Right after, he manages to take over a city and declare its independence, granting him diplomatic immunity from Ty and his friends (now including Sly, Cass’ former right-hand man and as it turns out, Ty’s brother). Fortunately for the citizens of the new settlement of Burramudgee, Ty and co. have formed their own all-purpose force called the Bush Rescue, however, which performs tasks that range from clearing out crocodile infestations to fighting off Cass’ invasions. Despite recruiting the help of Dr. Karlos (a relative of Ty’s own scientific genius friend Julius) to create a whole slew of new weapons, Cass is beaten yet again.

Ty 2 is notable for a much larger overworld and expanded sidequests. It also includes a wider range of level types in true platformer style; examples include (required; in the first game they were optional) racing and mech fights. Ty’s signature boomerangs have several more options for customization, most of them being acquired via Ty’s brother Sly (who not only lives high up in the middle of nowhere and is hard to get to… but charges a sizable sum for the upgrades. There is no confirmation whether or not this includes a family discount).

Ty_the_Tasmanian_Tiger_3_-_Night_of_the_

Ty 3 causes a much more drastic turn in tone, in a way that seems almost comparable to the transition between Jak 1 and 2. When word arrives that the Dreamtime (inhabited by Ty’s allies from the first game, the Bunyips) is being attacked by beasts known as Quinkan, Ty and his friends travel there to help them out. Ty is successful in this, but on his way back home, is attacked in the time stream between his world and the Dreamtime. When he finally returns to his world, he finds it in ruins; six months have passed since he left, and the Quinkan have taken over the whole region except for a few settlements (most of the people Ty knows have safely relocated to a ramshack fortress called New Burramudgee, the old city having been destroyed).

Desperate as the situation in Southern Rivers is, Ty and his friends work together to kick the Quinkan out of the region, even if circumstances require their working with Boss Cass. After enjoying considerable success in this regard, it becomes apparent the only way to truly beat the Quinkan is to defeat their leader, the Quinking, and the game shifts to collecting the only weapon capable of hurting him thereafter. In the end, Ty is able to triumph over both Boss Cass and the Quinking, and Southern Rivers returns more or less to normal.

Ty 3 changes up the gameplay of the second game yet again, preserving the large overworld (and expanding it) and exploration, while altering Rang customization to be centered around “Chasses,” that can be modified with various elemental stones to change their impact on various enemies. Combat is notably more intensive in Ty 3, as many enemies take several hits to defeat, and some can’t be harmed except in close quarters (fortunately, Ty is fairly adept at using his Rangs as swords).

The end… right? I’m afraid not!

ksf_game7.jpg

After many years’ hiatus, Ty returned in 2013 to Xbox Live Arcade and Windows PC. In this 2.5D side scroller, Ty and co. are once more at odds with Boss Cass, who between the events of 3 and 4 managed to destroy New Burramudgee (not again!) via flooding the whole area. Unlike the mass implied death of Ty 3, however, people seem to have gotten along fine enough, having built the town of Coolarangah on Lake Burramudgee’s shores. Ty 4 centers on numerous smaller plot points, such as the search for Ty’s missing brother Sly, while working to stop Cass’ various schemes (e.g. destroying an irrigation system so as to kill an entire town via dehydration).

All of Cass’ seemingly-unrelated plans come together in the end, however, as it’s revealed he not only has pulled an asteroid into the planet’s orbit so as to kill all life (and allow reptiles to regain dominance afterward), but has fortified his island to a point he won’t be affected and can emerge as the new world’s leader. As always, Cass finds himself bested by Ty; Ty is too late to stop the asteroid from falling… right into Lake Burramudgee, where it doesn’t create the cataclysm Cass had hoped for. Defeated yet again after he tries to burn Ty to death, Cass initiates plan B: he cryogenically freezes himself and the whole island for 1000 years, gloating that when he thaws, Ty and everyone who can oppose him will be dead.

Ty 4’s gameplay is simplified but consists of the basics – walk, jump, glide, etc. – as well as a charged attack that costs a few Opals but can cause serious damage. As in prior games, there are plenty of side missions. For the diehard Ty fan, you will appreciate the fact the bulk of the soundtrack consists of remixes of classic tracks from the prior 3 games (for example, one boss theme is a fast-paced rock remix of Outback Safari from Ty 1).

With the game’s end, the exact future of the TY series remains uncertain. Krome has certainly seen better times (the company actually was bankrupt for a year or two), but he clearly still holds a place for some folks, to say nothing of the team who created him.

This thread is for discussing any and all things Ty. Played it as a child and never looked at it since? Dabbled in the series? Coocoo over it like myself? Giving the sequel games a shot? Theories, fanfiction, fanart? It’s all welcome here

Some fans have started an officially-sponsored wiki here.!

Edited by Ty the Tasmanian Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like Rayman Origins in a Ty lick of paint, at least in terms of gameplay anyway. It honestly doesn't look too interesting IMO. Also, putting the game on Xbox Games for Windows isn't going to help Krome's chances. If anything they should had put it on XBLA, let alone try their luck with Sony or Nintendo if they were going to make the game exclusive.

Yeah, the choice of Windows 8 probably was poor. I've heard many mixed ideas on that, and while I have Windows 8 myself, I ponder how many folks actually kept the OS instead of just going back to 7.

Ty would fit great with Nintendo. I would have totally endorsed going Nintendo exclusive if I was Krome. I'm sure they have their reasons though; I guess Microsoft probably bought them off given Krome's financial status makes SEGA look like Disney.

Guess I may as well show the first trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyAarHjLtM

Meanwhile for those who want more depth, here's a copy of the livestream I attended:

http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/398984390

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I only played the first game, found it a little bland and dull TBH. The most enjoyable thing about it were the adverts with crash and sonic in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyP16Qg3UP4

come on, that's pretty good.

The new game looks a little bland to me too but I'm interested, I'll keep an eye out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Back in the early 2000s, when bad counterparts were all the rage, Sonic got Shadow, Crash Bandicoot got Crunch, while Ty got Sly. This being a general purpose Ty thread as much as one with any news pertaining to the new game... I'll just go ahead and say he's my personal favorite.

75030_10151320143042270_489912682_n.jpg

How could something so adorable have grown up to be so evil? sad.png

Hoping Sly is playable if nothing else. In Boomerang Blast he looked REALLY gnarly:

368px-Sly_2012_by_falterdan-d49i0eg.jpg

So I'm curious to see if there's any explanation as to why he suddenly got all torn up.

Though as a whole his design changes over the years have been pretty insane.

Christ, those animations are horrendous. Game looks incredibly cheap.

But this new game looks like a pile of feces.

To be fair, they are pretty much a dead company. For a while they were said to have shut down. I can't imagine how small their team is.

Kind of sad, really.

I would have lucked an actual console sequel to Night of the Quinkan... I want to see more of Sly and all that good stuff!

The most enjoyable thing about it were the adverts with crash and sonic in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyP16Qg3UP4

come on, that's pretty good.

Let's give him props. He outlived Crash (and Spyro if the abomination in Skylanders is not counted) if nothing else. One of three targets down.

What's really amusing is Ty's depicted as seeming kind of mischievous in that commercial. In actuality he comes across as such a sweetheart, albeit one with an annoying penchant for Aussie slang. Give him props for only using Crikey once, at least.

I like how both Ty and Rayman have fans that want a 4th game in the series in 3D but instead they keep getting 2D titles.

It would have been great to see Ty revived in 3D for 360/PS3/Wii U. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 5

I like how both Ty and Rayman have fans that want a 4th game in the series in 3D but instead they keep getting 2D titles.

It would have been great to see Ty revived in 3D for 360/PS3/Wii U. Oh well.

I guess it's just becoming too expensive to make 3D games that are up to industry standards these days.

It's a shame really; I thought Night of the Quinkan, while a tad repetitive of prior games' ideas (a criticism is that it's as fun as 2, but doesn't really add much), it greatly enhanced character interaction. I really liked how it developed

Ty and Sly's relationship as brothers, as an example. Spoiling this JUST in case there are any curious onlookers, even though this plot twist is pretty easy to see coming.

The fact you could talk to characters outside missions was also pretty great; it helped you get a little bit more insight on their personalities.

The biggest annoyance was the Ratchet-esque "lose all weapons, need to rebuy them" tactics all the games pulled between sequels. I did not like having to visit a Rang shop every game to buy all the weapons I earned in the previous one... I mean, good lord, really?

Oh wow Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, I played the crap out of the original game on the PS2 back years ago. I think I actually got it the same year as Kingdom Hearts, Sly Cooper, Skygunner, and Ratchet and Clank, 2002 was a Damn good year.

In regards to the new game, EH the animations are complete balls, the 2d sidescroller aspect kills part of the draw of the original games to me, BUT I will admit that the art style is pretty good and considering Krome's financial status at the mo', I can completely understand the shortcomings. Sadly I don't think we will get a proper Ty 4 until it is sold off to another company such as Nintendo, Sony, or hell even Sega, OR a publisher decides to pump a ton of cash into a 3D sequel for the series. Its a really terrible thing for a series thats lasted just as long as Sly or Ratchet . He even outlived CRASH which is utterly baffling. (FUCKING ACTIVISION *facepalm*) 

Overall I do adore this series and am definitely gonna pick this up to support Krome and hope for the best.

Edited by LordMetallix

Oh wow Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, I played the crap out of the original game on the PS2 back years ago. I think I actually got it the same year as Kingdom Hearts, Sly Cooper, Skygunner, and Ratchet and Clank, 2002 was a Damn good year.

PS2 remains my favorite console simply for all the memories. wink.png Never mind all these awesome games I haven't gotten into until recently! How did I go so long without Sly Cooper or Ratchet or Ty?

Sadly I don't think we will get a proper Ty 4 until it is sold off to another company such as Nintendo, Sony, or hell even Sega, OR a publisher decides to pump a ton of cash into a 3D sequel for the series. Its a really terrible thing for a series thats lasted just as long as Sly or Ratchet.

Given the tendency of countries to be so readily absorbed lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Krome did get bought out by someone with how small it is. It has some recognisable IPs to its name and maybe someone could do something with them. My guess would be Nintendo but who knows, maybe SEGA would like to diversify its cute furry critter portfolio? Most furry franchises are inspired by Sonic in some way, shape or form anyway. It's a miracle of science Ty characters actually discovered these things called clothes.

Overall I do adore this series and am definitely gonna pick this up to support Krome and hope for the best.

I'll be doing the same. I'll give some sort of review and footage in two weeks once I get it. I intend to get it right as it releases. wink.png I'm starved for some more adventures with our thylacine!

I mean, it may not be high-end, but who knows, it might be entertaining. I just hope it's not more than 10 USD. Some 2.5 D games like Rocket Knight just get ridiculous with price per length.

• 2 weeks later...

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/ty-the-tasmanian-tiger/65b83f9f-839f-4068-a406-bbf82127ac6e

It's finally out, folks!

Most promising detail so far is that it's only a mere 4.99 USD!

It contains 40 levels, has the range of boomerangs the series is known for, and also has the ability to play as people besides Ty it sounds like.

Sounds like it'll be a case of you get what it's worth, overall. Will purchase soon!

I may have sold my 360 but I'm glad I kept my controller; Lord knows the keyboard sucks for controls.

Oh, the infamous turkey chases of the first game made a return, it seems. Joy!

Screenshot.98399.1000001.jpg

Oooo, new art as well! Man Sly looks like a badass now. ...I wonder what the scar's from?

Okay, purchased and played about 10% of the way.

The good:

The 2.5D look actually goes pretty well. Cutscenes are in comic form to fit.

The gameplay is easy to get the hang of and it's usual simple platformer fun.

There is a story! Yes there's a story relevant to the last three games. No spoilers here.

As usual you can spend Opals to buy better Rangs.

You can play as characters besides Ty.

The price. 5 dollars!

The bad:

The Windows 8 and tablet exclusive thing, naturally.

As you likely assumed, there is a microtransaction system at work, but only for costumes. You can replace Ty with other characters (Sly, Ridge, Shazza, the works), but it costs 1.50 USD per costume.

...temped to buy Sly just because, man, it's Sly.

Launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBowcV80wWU

Based on the trailer alone, boomerangs are the new keyblade. I guess it means the events of Boomerang Blast are canon.

In all honesty I can see why they never addressed my question on alternate characters in the livestream I attended; they ran out of time and looked to have forgotten it. I believe it's because everyone in this business knows how quick things go downhill when you mention microtransactions.

...still eager to find out what the hell happened to Sly between 3 and 4. That's a wicked scar, and whereas normally he looks punkish, now he just looks like some vampire assassin or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow a 2D game from a franchise that started out 3D? Wasn't expecting that, in honestly, I didn't expect to see anything new from Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, looks a bit like a flash game though, I hope it's a WIP.

Edited by Amomynous

• 1 year later...

I decided to revamp the thread to basically be more of a "master" TY thread by updating the OP with some basic info; I have also included a link to the TY wiki, which Krome gave their official support to.

Now, as for something relevant... I want one!

45586_10151521544757270_844881849_n.jpg?

Sadly Krome never seemed to be big in the merchandising department... it feels like a missed opportunity to not at least have official on-demand shirts or something.

• 3 months later...

11694156_10153416925527270_4544511340203

The TY Facebook Page finally came out of a long one year plus hiatus to share this today.

They said they have more content soon, so speculation abounds as to what they're doing. The main thought is that they're finally getting the game ready for a Steam release.

I think it'll probably sell a lot better there than the Windows 8 / XBLA release they had going. My guess is Microsoft had paid for 2 years of exclusivity and the contract's up.

• 3 weeks later...

11204469_10153442042657270_4946858857321

Speculation abounds as to what this new image means. It was simply accompanied with the quote "we're getting the band back together."

Given their talk of releasing Ty 4 on Steam and seeing all 3 original titles in Windowed mode... needless to say there's a lot of hype speculation about releasing ALL four games on Steam/PC.

Needless to say I'm going to fork over some serious cash if that's true.

• 2 weeks later...

So there's a big reason why I decided to make this thread on the platforming tasmanian tiger from years ago. I loved the first two games on the PS2, the third game never released in the UK, and the forth game has been a 2D styled Rayman Legends comeback but only on Windows 8. Well, today, there's big news! The first four Ty games (Ty, Bush Rescue, Night of the Quinkan, and Ty 4) are all being re-released on Steam on September 18th!

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/ty-the-tasmanian-tiger-4-releasing-on-steam-september-18-first-three-games-are-also-coming-to-pc-305313.phtml

What are your thoughts on this comeback? Personally, I'm absolutely excited to see Ty finally make a comeback.

• Thumbs Up 2

Slight misread there: only the 4th game is releasing on September 18th.

But holy crap yesssss!

Hopefully the PC port of the first three is before the holidays. I think the franchise will benefit a lot more from having the 3D titles on PC than the 2D 4th one.

(Topics merged as well)

Slight misread there: only the 4th game is releasing on September 18th.

But holy crap yesssss!

Hopefully the PC port of the first three is before the holidays. I think the franchise will benefit a lot more from having the 3D titles on PC than the 2D 4th one.

(Topics merged as well)

I didn't even notice we already had a topic XD.

But on another note, I'm really excited, since the third game never released in the UK.

• The topic was unfeatured

Seems cool Ty 1-3 re-released on Steam. It's a vast larger market and is a good place for something that hasn't really been accessible to newer gamers over the years. I'm ok with Ty 4 being on Steam but it's already on a Digital Storefront (Windows Store) and from what I know it was meant for a mobile audience.

But I doubt I'll probably get them Day 1 honestly, but they're re-releases, so I don't see much harm in doing so.

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa
  • Thumbs Up 1

The CDs I all have have some wear, and they occasionally lagged with loading areas.

It's my hope it's because the CDs aren't optimal and not the game itself... if the latter, I hope they fix that prior to re-release.

Definitely looking forward to a digital copy that never wears, though.

Eh, wish it was GOG getting it too, Steam may have a bigger market, but GOG gives games much more care while preserving and adding compatibility, oh and no DRM