Awoo.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3)

Ming Ming Hatsune

I just hope it's a regular Ratchet game. All 4 One is nice enough but it feels like more of a spinoff than anything else. And FFA I just didn't care for much from what I played.

I want a real Crack In Time successor!

Man, ACiT was on amazing game; one of the best stories in the series, the tightest interpretation of the R&C gameplay, Clank have really inventive puzzles (which were optional to boot) and a ton of content with the orbital moons to explore.  While it wasn't my favorite Ratchet (as Up Your Arsenal still stands as one of my favorite games of all time :)) but it is hands down one of the PS3's best games. 

Why does it have to be a Jak and Daxter crossover? I couldn't care less about that series. Its very quick decline into mediocrity and lack of relevance in today's gaming world has nothing to do with Insomniac or the Ratchet series.

• Thumbs Up 2

GAF insider confirms.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69387471#post69387471

It is ps3 and it is ratchet and clank.

I've all but lost interest in Ratchet. After the less than sub-par two previous entries as well as Insomniac's talent taking a nosedive after Fuse, I don't have much faith in a new Ratchet game. It feels like it's gone into mediocrity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll get it as long as it's nothing like full frontal assault and more of an expansion of A Crack in Time.

I still need to play more games in this series, but I'm not sure which ones to avoid.

GAF insider confirms.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69387471#post69387471

I've all but lost interest in Ratchet. After the less than sub-par two previous entries as well as Insomniac's talent taking a nosedive after Fuse, I don't have much faith in a new Ratchet game. It feels like it's gone into mediocrity.

PS3 only? That sucks sad.png You'd think they'd be jumping on to PS4 and/or PS Vita now.

Why does it have to be a Jak and Daxter crossover? I couldn't care less about that series. Its very quick decline into mediocrity and lack of relevance in today's gaming world has nothing to do with Insomniac or the Ratchet series.

The reason people are excited for this is because we can finally had a true Jak game in HD, even if they share the spot light with Ratchet. 

And who's to say the Ratchet series hasn't been on a fall to mediocrity already; Insomniac hasn't had there A team make real dam Ratchet tittle since 2009, and since then we had a multiplayer spin-off that was just average and another multiplayer spin-off with RTS elements once again being average (not to mention the horrid port of the game on the Vita and the slap-dash port of Dreadlock on PSN). 

I really hate to say this as I love this series as it were one of the key reasons for me to get a PS2 and part of the reason to get a PS3, but the series is close to dead :(.  I am willing to bet that this new Ratchet game is being ONCE AGAIN developed by there B team while there A team is fucking working on a X1 exclusive, and we will get a shitty game for the upcoming Ratchet film.  Sorry for this bitter perspective, but I just think Sony and Insomniac just don't care about the series anymore sad.png

Hmmmm.... A big old next gen Rathcet woulda pushed me straight into PS4 territory, and I woulda loved to see it...

But assuming the game's half decent I'm cool with more PS3 stuff.

I still need to play more games in this series, but I'm not sure which ones to avoid.

I don't think there's a single bad game in the series actually made by Insomniac specifically, so I wouldn't really suggest avoiding any of them really. All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault aren't bad, but I'd definitely label them as ones you can skip. The original PS2 trilogy is available through the Ratchet and Clank Collection and Deadlocked got re-released in HD a few months ago.

Add on Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time and you more or less realize that every major game in the series is available on PS3 at the moment. They're all cheap at this point too.

Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time are my personal favorites, but Going Commando is still fantastic. Deadlocked pulls away from the traditional formula and is a lot more linear but it's good fun. Tools of Destruction is kind of an amalgamation of elements from the previous games and feels kind of uninspired but it's still solid and the story's great.

The original game is flawed mainly because it's the first game and they were still figuring out what works and what didn't, but for its time it was unbelievable and I'd argue it's still one of the best 3D platformers ever made. ..And that's all of them.

And who's to say the Ratchet series hasn't been on a fall to mediocrity already; Insomniac hasn't had there A team make real dam Ratchet tittle since 2009, and since then we had a multiplayer spin-off that was just average and another multiplayer spin-off with RTS elements once again being average (not to mention the horrid port of the game on the Vita and the slap-dash port of Dreadlock on PSN). 

I really hate to say this as I love this series as it were one of the key reasons for me to get a PS2 and part of the reason to get a PS3, but the series is close to dead.

So because you had two pretty solid, smaller scale games after a slew of fantastic games, the series is dead and has fallen into mediocrity? Okay.

Edited by Chooch

Well there is still hope, the same insider Carbo posted also said:

To be clear all I ever heard was that insomniac was working on a ratchet game for the ps3. I didn't really dig. Could it include other characters? Sure. Could it come to the vita or ps4? I guess, but neither was mentioned to me. But i also heard about this a few months ago, shit changes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=69395131&postcount=1792

PS4 with crazy particles, lighting and fur shading pls.

Those entries weren't mainline Ratchets. If this is a mainline entry, ACiT should be the barometer and ACiT was fantastic.

I don't think there's a single bad game in the series actually made by Insomniac specifically, so I wouldn't really suggest avoiding any of them really. All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault aren't bad, but I'd definitely label them as ones you can skip. The original PS2 trilogy is available through the Ratchet and Clank Collection and Deadlocked got re-released in HD a few months ago.

Add on Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time and you more or less realize that every major game in the series is available on PS3 at the moment. They're all cheap at this point too.

Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time are my personal favorites, but Going Commando is still fantastic. Deadlocked pulls away from the traditional formula and is a lot more linear but it's good fun. Tools of Destruction is kind of an amalgamation of elements from the previous games and feels kind of uninspired but it's still solid and the story's great. ..And that's all of them.

So because you had two pretty solid, smaller scale games after a slew of fantastic games, the series is dead and has fallen into mediocrity? Okay.

....I didn't say the series was dead, but think of it this way, why were there small scale games to being with?

All 4 One could have been converted into a Vita game (solid fit for the platform with its local multiplayer along with a solid first party game on the platform) and FFA could have been greatly expanded into a huge multiplayer game rather than a "taste" of what could have been one. 

The series WAS Sony's go-to platformer franchise for a very long time and was a example of non-Mario/Sonic 3D platformer on Next-gen consoles with the Future series on PS3, and those games were really wonderful games. 

And think about this, why was FFA Vita, a first party tittle no less, a horrid port? Sly 4 and PSAS had really great ports on the system and complemented the platform well and ran really well one it (Sly 4 still looks great on the Vita and PSAS looks exactly like the PS3 version), what was Insomniacs excuse for FFA Vita looking like a dated, poorly put together port when it was even delayed.

Well to be fair, Insomniac didn't really port FFA to Vita, it was Tin Giant who did it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those entries weren't mainline Ratchets. If this is a mainline entry, ACiT should be the barometer and ACiT was fantastic.

If it's by the same team I'm all for it. But Insomniac's three last major releases have done incredibly little to fill me with confidence depending on who is working on it.

All 4 One could have been converted into a Vita game (solid fit for the platform with its local multiplayer along with a solid first party game on the platform) and FFA could have been greatly expanded into a huge multiplayer game rather than a "taste" of what could have been one. 

The series WAS Sony's go-to platformer franchise for a very long time and was a example of non-Mario/Sonic 3D platformer on Next-gen consoles with the Future series on PS3, and those games were really wonderful games. 

And think about this, why was FFA Vita, a first party tittle no less, a horrid port? Sly 4 and PSAS had really great ports on the system and complemented the platform well and ran really well one it (Sly 4 still looks great on the Vita and PSAS looks exactly like the PS3 version), what was Insomniacs excuse for FFA Vita looking like a dated, poorly put together port when it was even delayed.

All 4 One could have been a Vita game? Yeah I guess it could have. It wouldn't have really changed any of the core problems I had with the game tho'. I'm not really sure what your point is.

Full Frontal Assault is big on the multiplayer and it has been since day one. They've updated the game to add a new multiplayer map and skins at least twice from what I remember. And really, what's wrong with a smaller scale title? It's not like it's new for the series. Did you forget about Quest For Booty?

As far as I know, Ratchet and Clank is still Sony's go-to platformer franchise. I mean really, what contests it? Jak and Daxter? Don't make me laugh. Sly Cooper? Before Sly 4 the last game in the series was released in 2005.

The Vita port of Full Frontal Assault was shit because.. it was a shitty port. It wasn't even made by Insomniac anyway.

Edited by Chooch

Well to be fair, Insomniac didn't really port FFA to Vita, it was Tin Giant who did it.

It was there game though, so they should care how it would turn out; if you made a great game and hire some guys to port it something, how would you feel it made you hard work nothing?

It was there game though, so they should care how it would turn out; if you made a great game and hire some guys to port it something, how would you feel it made you hard work nothing?

Sony had some say on it as well...in fact, Sony could be the ones themselves that asked Tin Giant to port it. Insomniac were just hired to develop FFA for the PS3.

All 4 One could have been a Vita game? Yeah I guess it could have. It wouldn't have really changed any of the core problems I had with the game tho'. I'm not really sure what your point is.

Full Frontal Assault is big on the multiplayer and it has been since day one. They've updated the game to add a new multiplayer map and skins at least twice from what I remember. And really, what's wrong with a smaller scale title? It's not like it's new for the series. Did you forget about Quest For Booty?

As far as I know, Ratchet and Clank is still Sony's go-to platformer franchise. I mean really, what contests it? Jak and Daxter? Don't make me laugh. Sly Cooper? Before Sly 4 the last game in the series was released in 2005.

The Vita port of Full Frontal Assault was shit because.. it was a shitty port. It wasn't even made by Insomniac anyway.

They could have taken A4O's more interesting ideas (like the hoverpack and the boat section for example) and incorporated the Vita's gyro functions.  The point was the game a solid game, but felt like it dragged on, so if Insomniac trimmed the game down to the stronger sections of the game and incorporated some new mechanics (maybe having the game using the right stick to shoot your weapons rather than the clunky lock on, have the differences between the characters exclusive weapons be more notable/have them be different classes that had different effects on the weapons, ect) it could have been a great Vita tittle. 

I guess I was a bit too bitter with my examples, but I just was disappointed with the recent efforts with the Ratchet series :(

Never played FFA yet, so I guess I didn't know wait I was talking about, glad the game turned out great than biggrin.png

All the things you're suggesting to make All 4 One better are all things that could be done on PS3 which really doesn't make the case for it being a Vita game.

Edited by Chooch

All that things you're suggesting to make All 4 One better are all things that could be done on PS3 which really doesn't make the case for it being a Vita game.

Guess my point means nothing huh?  I guess the game being better in smaller doses = a solid portable game is what I was trying to say.  A Vita Ratchet game that changes things up and is a fun game, that would be a nice incentive to get a Vita for some people :)

They could just make a brand new Vita exclusive game and not just make All 4 One portable, I mean.. All 4 One isn't a traditional Ratchet game.

You'd push more units if it was nothing like it at all.

They could just make a brand new Vita exclusive game and not just make All 4 One portable, I mean.. All 4 One isn't a traditional Ratchet game.

You'd push more units if it was nothing like it at all.

I was just an idea I had, you do make a point though as a traditional Ratchet game would sell they systems "Portable PS3 in Your Hands" mentality Sony was trying to sell with Uncharted and Wipeout. 

I do wonder though, what if this new Ratchet is a cross-buy tittle across the Sony eco-system of platforms (PS3, PS4, Vita) though. 

It still kind of baffles me how insomniac can't seem to make the gameplay as fast paced and exciting as Up your arsenal and deadlocked, I mean sure the future titles are okay (I am currently playing through crack in time and its pretty awesome but tools of destruction was kind of boring when I played it) but it feels as though the only think thats really been improved is the exploration and even thats still a bit small compared to what they could do with it and full frontal assault kind of further proved that they just aren't in their A game anymore so it kind of makes me somewhat cautious of this game if it is just going to be a ratchet one but im still pretty hopeful that it will be good.