Awoo.

New Images and Info from 4Gamer.net!

Hero of Legend

As a resident fan of Sonic Heroes, I have to say that THAT game looks far more plasticy then anything ive seen in Lost World, and as someone who likes Heroes' general aesthetics regardless, Lost World graphics don't bother met in the slightest, it looks good.

Edited by Gryo Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

But Windy Hill is pretty much straight up original flavor GHZ. Its trees are no more plastic than GHZ's palms.

FTR, I'm not saying either game looks like plastic. 

Green Hill was intentionally designed as a sort of homage to digital art. Its palmtrees are supposed to look 3D with their angular leaves and flat surfaces. When you look at Green Hill as a whole, there's more fine detail than in Windy Hill. The rocks and bushes in the far background are very textured, and the clouds as realistic as was possible. I think Generations' take on Green Hill is perhaps more true to what the original version was trying to encapsulate than Windy Hill is. 

Yeah I do agree with you saying that Windy Hill is pretty much Green Hill Megadrive straight up, but what ArtFenix is saying isn't totally without merit up to the point that Lost World looks very different to what we expect from the series these days. It's a big shift from every past 3D game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Are we going to keep having this same argument everytime ArtFenix say something bad about the art style?

• Thumbs Up 9

Are we going to keep having this same argument everytime ArtFenix say something bad about the art style?

I dunno, is ArtFenix gonna have the same complaints every time we get new screens and footage? /kidding/

Edited by @ut0

I dunno, is ArtFenix gonna have the same complaints every time we get new screens and footage? /kidding/

You can just ignore him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Green Hill was intentionally designed as a sort of homage to digital art.

Ok. So's Windy Hill. ???

When you look at Green Hill as a whole, there's more fine detail than in Windy Hill.

Where?

The rocks and bushes in the far background are very textured,

They're just squarish blotches, they look like poorly resized sprites.

I think Generations' take on Green Hill is perhaps more true to what the original version was trying to encapsulate than Windy Hill is.

Personally I think Gens GHZ just looks like every other "HD" GHZ that felt the need to make it "real", while SLoW's Windy Hill better captures the colorful, stylized nature of it. 

Yeah I do agree with you saying that Windy Hill is pretty much Green Hill Megadrive straight up, but what ArtFenix is saying isn't totally without merit up to the point that Lost World looks very different to what we expect from the series these days. It's a big shift from every past 3D game.

Can't go 5 years in this series without them changing shit up, tho'. It may not be what you expect, it may not be what you like, but when a game goes back and does things that Sonic 1 did you don't have a whole lot of ground to say that it's copying Mario.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Are we going to keep having this same argument everytime ArtFenix say something bad about the art style?

.....so how about that Legend of Zonic: Zinister Zix's Moon Mask? /laempun

2ueu1dw.jpg

I find it interesting that it shows up in the daytime as well as the nighttime as well. Does the boss stage have a day-to-night atmosphere transition? Or is it sentient and plays a larger role?

Can't go 5 years in this series without them changing shit up, tho'. It may not be what you expect, it may not be what you like, but when a game goes back and does things that Sonic 1 did you don't have a whole lot of ground to say that it's copying Mario.

I'm honestly lost here. All I'm saying is that Lost World looks very different to the series' norm, and it's a change from the typical progression we've always seen. 

What are you even trying to argue? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the game doesn't look like the last game. And Unleashed didn't look like '06 and '06 didn't look like Heroes and Heroes didn't look like SA2. That doesn't give his argument any particular weight, it is simply a thing that has continued to be true.

Also that him acting like it's copying Mario for doing things that Sonic 1 did is very silly.

Edited by Diogenes

I think that moon will act like the Death Egg before S3K's climax; It'll be viable during a stage, teasing the player and building up to it's shining (no pun intended) moment in the boss battle.

Yes, the game doesn't look like the last game. And Unleashed didn't look like '06 and '06 didn't look like Heroes and Heroes didn't look like SA2. That doesn't give his argument any particular weight, it is simply a thing that has continued to be true.

Also that him acting like it's coping Mario for doing things that Sonic 1 did is very silly.

I'm trying not to comment on his attitude cause I don't think it's a particularly nice thing to do and will get us nowhere. I think the argument holds weight as far as this is a new style and he's free not to like that. Saying it's "atrocious" is another matter. 

There's really no need at all to get so confrontational. And with that, I hope this can just move on a people can continue to discuss the game and these screenshots. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We can hate Artfenix's opinions till the cows come home, its not gonna solve anything. Let him hate the artstyle for whatever reason he wants, say your piece and move on.

I say we get back to discussing more constructive things like dem transitions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Please you should see how Artfenix acts on the Sega Forum

That's realllly not helping. :/

Well that;s the Sega Forums, still don't see why that should affect us on SSMB.

ANYWAYS, I'm curious about this boss fight. How is Zzzzzzzzwhateverthefuk gonna use that moon robot? The recent screenshot hints that he's gonna try to smash Sonic with it, while another screenshot shows Sonic chasing him. Different phases?

Anyone else thinks this fake moon is looking like it'll work similar to the Sprinkler Badnik from Colors?

ANYWAYS, I'm curious about this boss fight. How is Zzzzzzzzwhateverthefuk gonna use that moon robot? The recent screenshot hints that he's gonna try to smash Sonic with it, while another screenshot shows Sonic chasing him. Different phases?

That pic. with Zazz trying to crush Sonic is probably just from an boss intro cutscene. Then after that it turns into a chase battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, when you've been playing a game franchise that has relied on one particular art style for multiple games, it does get a little bit jarring to go to something that looks significantly simpler, even IF it ends up being for only one game. Please note that I said SIMPLER LOOKING, not WORSE.

Edited by 743 ED Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is uncalled for. Don't bring up offsite behavior to justify dogpiling a member, especially over a conversation you weren't even part of before then. Talk about douchebag behavior. To everyone else, if you are really so tired over the arguments concerning ArtFenix's opinion, put him on ignore and don't start it up in the first place. This argument has happened innumerable times with neither side actually yielding to the other, so at this point it's an exercise in frustration and increasing post count. Back to discussing the screens and artwork, not what one member thinks of it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

That pic. with Zazz trying to crush Sonic is probably just from an boss intro cutscene. Then after that it turns into a chase battle.

I could see that, but I was thinking it might be what happens if you manage to pass him--he attacks you, knocking you back (may or may not cause Ring loss) so the race/fight/whatever can continue with him in the lead.

Ya know the face on the moon reminds me of something else than Majoras mask but I just can't put my finger on....
2ueu1dw.jpg

AH NOW I REMEMBER:

Sonic3DBlast825-Title.gif

The resemblance is STUNNING!

• Thumbs Up 3

*Reads "BIG blowout"*

*Sees Wisps*

DISAPPOINTMENT! *COLORS RAVE MUSIC*

You're disappointed about what, exactly?