Awoo.

SEGA & Sony Almost made a console... wha?

Badnik Mechanic

It's funny now that you think about it. (Sega being best buds with Nintendo right now.)

omg

sega is the reason Wii U is doing badly

I know the people from that time are probably long gone, but goddamn Sega. You dun fucked up, you deserve everything you get.

I know the people from that time are probably long gone, but goddamn Sega. You dun fucked up, you deserve everything you get.

Whoa now steady on.

SOA sounded like they might have accepted the deal had they been in charge of the console direction.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck, SEGA could have still had a console in the form of the Playstation and probably would have still been really big if they got THEIR FUCKING HEADS OUT OF THEIR FUCKING ASSES and accepted the deal! Fuck! This could have meant a much, much better future for SEGA....................and they pompously pushed it away. Fuck that pisses me off, what could have fucking been man...............

• Thumbs Up 2

Sega sure made a ton of dumb decisions back then, and I notice that 90% of them was because of the big disconnect between the east and west branches. Heck, that rift between them might still exist even today when you take into account that the Japanese branch recently made a Japanese 3DS Sonic 1 port, probably not knowing about the western Taxman version at all.

This company man. phew.

• Thumbs Up 8

Off-topic: But I feel like this thread has been made before, but then again I might be confusing it with the other "Sega and its' might've been great ideas/Sega you fucked up" threads.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just said the words Sega Playstation out loud, I feel like I did something wrong. Nothing makes sense anymore.

• Thumbs Up 6

Whoa now steady on.

SOA sounded like they might have accepted the deal had they been in charge of the console direction.

Well then its even sadder that Japan has such an influence over America to not even negotiate. You'd think they would talk something out.

It's sounds like in the end Sony thought SoJ weren't worth the hassle, so they went ahead and released the Playstation in Japan in December 1994. One could argue that Sony stole the CD format idea from SEGA who first introduced it with the Mega CD console. 

How ironic that Sony with the successful PS2 console effectively ended SEGA's involvement with consoles.

The idea of Sony and SEGA jointly creating a (successful) console is fascinating. However, it's likely that the relationship would have broken down and some point and both companies would have gone their separate ways. In all honesty I am glad things turned out the way they did. I mean, otherwise SEGA may never have learned from the mistakes they made.  

Edited by Adam West -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I say serves them right for shunning Sony like that. They could have dominated! But nope, SoJ had to fuck everything sideways. I bet they feel real proud of themselves now...

Edited by Wil348

So Sega and Nintendo essentially created their own competition...

And in the case of Sega, they created their a rival that would shove them into third place for the sixth generation and drive them out of the console business entirely shortly after the seventh began.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically Sony went to Nintendo, then to SEGA, before making the console themselves and kicking both their asses. Fair enough on Nintendo to be skeptical after what happened with Philips, but SEGA probably let the success of the MegaDrive get to their heads in too big a way (well I think we all know that). It ended up going way better for Sony than any of the three imagined.

SEGA of Japan

when will they ever stop bein' a thorn in our side..!

Lately I've been playing Project X Zone, and SEGA's cast is made up of 9/10 games that have never made it to the west because SoJ refuses localisations. Some of them seem really good and interesting.. I hope SEGA of Japan changes soon, but I kinda doubt they will. Oh boy.

Edited by SuperLink

I think Sega and Nintendo should team up and make a console. Nintendo have........experience..... with making consoles, which would probably make SoJ approve of the idea. 

Segtendo Megacube........heh, has a pretty nice ring to it.

Plus all of the Sega and Nintendo games in one place, you'd only need one console.

What is business but a less violent form of politics, at the end of the day? Alliances are made and broken freely, incompetent decisions tend to bite the one who made them in the backside...

Goes to show you need to be careful before shooting ideas down, really. When we see that many of Google's most successful programs are the result of paying their employees to basically goof off, it really goes to show how little corporate heads know about what's best for their company's future.

So both Nintendo and Sega played a part in ushering the PlayStation's creation, but at least Nintendo had a reason for striking down their deal with Sony's disc-based add-on.

So both Nintendo and Sega played a part in ushering the PlayStation's creation, but at least Nintendo had a reason for striking down their deal with Sony's disc-based add-on.

I think we have conclusively determined SEGA Japan to be a master of incompetence, really. They reject a chance to partner with Sony, they utterly fail at promoting their own consoles afterward, the list goes on.

I wonder how differently this deal would have gone if SEGA was still a US-owned company...

Man I wish I could look into alternate realities.

What's even sadder is that Sega of Japan's incompetence continues to this day.

• Thumbs Up 5