Awoo.

SEGA & Sony Almost made a console... wha?

Badnik Mechanic

Why is it I have a feeling in the back of my mind that I knew this? Was it on DYKG or something?

Eh, anyways... interesting to read and almost shows how arrogant Sega were after their success in the '90s.

Eh, anyways... interesting to read and almost shows how arrogant Sega were after their success in the '90s.

The greatest downfall one can ever have is hubris. The moment you think you're doing so well you'll never run into issues... you're already wrong. wink.png

Perhaps if they had continued to keep an open mind they wouldn't have become so obscure!

Also Sonic would be in PSASBR. Boo.

So basically Sony went to Nintendo, then to SEGA, before making the console themselves and kicking both their asses. Fair enough on Nintendo to be skeptical after what happened with Philips, but SEGA probably let the success of the MegaDrive get to their heads in too big a way (well I think we all know that). It ended up going way better for Sony than any of the three imagined.

Funnily enough, the Phillips deal happened because of the one with Sony, not before. 

Sony and Nintendo made a contract as far back as '88 or '89 if I remember correctly, and it stemmed beyond just the CD project - the SNES' awesome sound card was actually designed by Ken Kutaragi himself, in fact. Only later did Nintendo start to get upset about their terms of agreement, as Sony would have gotten more rights thanks to the new medium. Up to that point Nintendo had gotten large royalties for cartridge distribution and development, and they didn't want to give that up. 

So instead of calling off the contract and formally disbanding, they secretly made a deal with one of Sony's biggest competitors and publically announced it just a day after Sony's unveiling of the Nintendo Playstation.

Nintendo had a legitimate reason for calling off the deal, but they did it in one of the most sleazy and disrespectful ways possible.

On the topic of SEGA, SOJ also turned down a deal with SGI for some 3D graphics hardware. SOA was really impressed by them, called up the Japanese department, and got shot down. SGI then turned to Nintendo, and the exact same hardware ended up being used in the N64. ... Yep.

On the topic of SEGA, SOJ also turned down a deal with SGI for some 3D graphics hardware. SOA was really impressed by them, called up the Japanese department, and got shot down. SGI then turned to Nintendo, and the exact same hardware ended up being used in the N64. ... Yep.

Though that particular decision was probably for the best all things considering.

Oh SoJ, you never cease to amaze me with your stupidity and incompetence. The same guys who brought you Sonic 06.