Awoo.

Brazilian Referee and player murdered

KHCast

Here's the link to the story This was released a couple days ago.

Police in northern Brazil say one man has been arrested after a referee who fatally stabbed a player during a match was decapitated by spectators who stormed the field.

Local reports said the incident, which took place on 30 June in the remote Brazilian town of Pio XII, escalated when the player, 30-year-old Josenir dos Santos, became involved in an argument with the referee, Octavio da Silva.

As the confrontation became physical and Dos Santos refused to leave the field, Da Silva allegedly produced a knife and stabbed the player, who died while being taken to hospital.

Reports said that outraged spectators responded by running on to the field and stoning Da Silva, before severing his head and sticking it on a stake in the middle of the field.

Police at the regional headquarters of Santa Ines said a 27-year-old man was arrested on 2 July, with the investigation continuing.

Police spokesman Valter Costa was quoted as saying: "We will identify and hold accountable all those involved in this incident. One crime will never justify another. Actions like this do not correspond with state law."

Brazil faces mounting pressure to show it is a safe place for tourists before 12 cities host the 2014 World Cup and Rio de Janeiro the Olympics in 2016. The Confederations Cup in June was marked by violence as anti-government protestors angered by the amount of money being spent on the events clashed with police.

All I can say is wow...this is disgusting. I know the stabbing was unneeded and uncalled for, and he definitely should have a consequence. But a stoning and beheading?! Good god we are not vikings! Killing him in response did not need to be done. We are not monsters. Yes this man probably shouldn't have drawn a knife,(especially in a stadium filled with fans.)but there were other ways this could have been handled without more bloodshed. I am just amazed by this whole thing. From the stabbing to the beheading. 

I honestly wonder if this will effect anything about the World Cup or even the Olympics. Perhaps precaution and more officials of the law?

What the fuck kind of idiot do you have to be to stab and kill someone in a public stadium? He gets no sympathy from me.

Pretty much, yeah. At a time when a country is in revolt and high tension, you don't do something like that and not expect immediate response.

• Thumbs Up 1

They decapitated him in public?

Good golly. Well he shouldn't have stabbed the player, but a beheading was a bit too much.

Granted, crazy things frequently happen in soccer (crazy fans,fights,riots) but this just takes things up to 11.

This definitely won't help Brazils image. It was already seen in a negative light by many, this event isn't going to make things any better. The ref was such a idiot.

Edit:@Bill There's a video actually that was posted on youtube and Facebook, but they got taken down pretty quickly apparently.

Edited by Young Xehanort

Let's not excuse the crowd because the country is in high tensions right now. Everyone directly involved is an asshole.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh I'm not. I said in the OP I'm disgusted by both. By the ref was the idiot who started the entire thing.

Apparently they cut his arms and legs off, too. This is...nightmarish. D:

Yeah I heard about that to in another reading. It's just so disgusting...

As a Brazilian who HATES soccer, I believe Brazil needs to boycott it until they get their shit straightened out.

I really hope the Olympics and World Cup don't go there.

As a Brazilian who HATES soccer, I believe Brazil needs to boycott it until they get their shit straightened out.   I really hope the Olympics and World Cup don't go there.
2014's world cup is in Brazil... Worry.

2014's world cup is in Brazil... Worry.

If anything, I would hope a reconsideration would be discussed or something. This also goes for the Summer Olympics. You don't want to endanger more lives.

As a Brazilian who HATES soccer, I believe Brazil needs to boycott it until they get their shit straightened out.

I'm pretty sure the 2016 Olympics is going to be held there. Not a good look for them right now.

That aside, I don't think they're going to get every single person responsible in that blitz mob/stoning/beheading of the referee. Too many folks to chase after. Hopefully they get a handful of the yits responsible, for the sake of the ref's family, but at the end, I'm not losing any sleep over this. Referee essentially shanked a player over not accepting their call, killing them.

Modern day eye for an eye, if you will.

No need to fear for the World Cup nor Olympics, btw. They'll be safe if it takes the entire BOPE patrolling each event.

I'd be more afraid for the inhabitants, even.

The World Cup is less than a year close. They won't change country in such a short time.

Also there's a detail missing (Although maybe it's not THAT relevant) that the match were this happened was an amateur match in the Maranhao state.

This is horrifying, and what it says about sports fanatics is horrifying too. I love how people blame video games for violence when sports are the things that get riots and things like.. this.

Of course, the government wouldn't dare say sports cause violence because sportspeople are the most paid and subsequently government backed professionals in the world 8D I hate this planet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On one hand, this would be a case where the death penalty would have been perfectly fine in my eyes: the referee was pretty obviously guilty.

On the other, this was vigilante justice and it violates the norms of human society. I hope for speedy arrests of all involved.

In general, this isn't going to help Brazil's image. Its violence is already well-known due to all the Google Maps mishaps, but this isn't going to help at all. Bye bye tourism!

Reports said that outraged spectators responded by running on to the field and stoning Da Silva, before severing his head and sticking it on a stake in the middle of the field.
What. This is 2013, not 1113. Who the fuck does this kind of shit anymore? It's totally barbaric.