Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

What indication is there that any part of Sweet Mountain is natural?

• Thumbs Up 2

But would you have known that just from that screenshot/area? Are you in a ghost mansion, a ghost dimension, a ghost planet, a ghost painting, etc etc etc?

No, but if you watched a gameplay video from start to finish you would. The level in Lost World fails to convey that through it's design so all we have left is the story's explanation.

It was already that. Making the green screen background closer or farther doesn't really change that.

But other games have blended it's location with the level design, having objects and set pieces be actual PARTS of the level.

Spagonia has you running through the city streets, over rooftops, up a clock tower. The level uses pieces of the environment as part of the level to give a better feeling of actually running through the streets of a populated city, rather than running on a track with a picture of a city in the background.

The level is the environment.

And that's the problem here. As far as environments go Lost Worlds is looking kinda bland a lot of places. Foreign alien planets never stopped CD from being a visual novel

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and consider me the rare gamer that loves JRPG's for their gameplay. I like menus, selecting spells and attacks and level grinding.

Off topic, but I wanted to say I do enjoy the gameplay as well. Post-game grinding in Disgaea 3 was super addicting. I just play RPGs mostly for the stories, not the gameplay.

And haha, the loose connection to Heroes really doesn't help me much considering that game gave me literal migraines (mostly for the horrendous gameplay though I think) and I hated that style too. Doesn't even touch either of the Adventure games, that one. Looked really bland in my opinion. The actual level themes were neat, though.

Still not as immediately off-putting as LW to me.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 1

The controversy is rather baffaling considering that people outside the fanbase are drooling over this game to the point many of them are more excited for this title over the new Mario game. So now we have unstatisfied fans by the genral gaming population is rather exctatic about the game.

My mind just having trouble handling it...everything is bakwards XD.

The controversy is rather baffaling considering that people outside the fanbase are drooling over this game to the point many of them are more excited for this title over the new Mario game. So now we have unstatisfied fans by the genral gaming population is rather exctatic about the game.

Not really shocking, this kind of thing sort of happened with Gens, Sonic 4 and to an extent Sonic Colors.

I wouldn't consider what we have here significant controversy, as the overwhelming majority of people are excited for the game in part or in whole. Having a few reservations, or just one or two people hating the game outright- as they're allowed to do- doesn't speak to me as being controversial. What would be non-controversial in you guys' opinions: absolutely no one having any reservations whatsoever? 100% satisfaction?

Not really shocking, this kind of thing sort of happened with Gens, Sonic 4 and to an extent Sonic Colors.

Not to this extent though... hearing nothing but praise everywhere. Its only the fans freaking out.

I wouldn't consider what we have here significant controversy, as the overwhelming majority of people are excited for the game in part or in whole. Having a few reservations, or just one or two people hating the game outright- as they're allowed to do- doesn't speak to me as being controversial. What would be non-controversial in you guys' opinions: absolutely no one having any reservations whatsoever? 100% satisfaction?

Well due to my rather time consuming art college that I am I don't get much time to hand at SSMb (or do aything else rather). Most of the time I do come hear I see lost world bickering...if that not the case then I apolgoize.

Edited by Voyant

Well.................................yeah. I never see the Kirby fanbase for example being divided like ours. But no matter what SEGA does it'll always be bad to someone, there's no possible way they can please the entirety of the fanbase.

Edited by Chaos Warp

What would be non-controversial in you guys' opinions: absolutely no one having any reservations whatsoever? 100% satisfaction?

Sometimes I think that's what people honestly expect.

I never see the Kirby fanbase for example being divided like ours. 

I was a moderator on a Kirby message board for a number of years. Division exists.

Edited by Chooch

The controversy is rather baffaling considering that people outside the fanbase are drooling over this game to the point many of them are more excited for this title over the new Mario game.

I'm still far more excited for this than 3D World, just like I was more excited for Generations than 3D Land. And I ended up enjoying it more, too..

In fact, at this point, 3D World can go to hell for all I care <:

If you want to be optimistic, the increasing quality only makes us expect more from the developers.

Also, controversy is a strong word. I see a lot of people using strong words to describe stuff like this. Like 'controversy' or 'war'. It sounds overzealous.

Well.................................yeah. I never see the Kirby fanbase for example being divided like ours. But no matter what SEGA does it'll always be bad to someone, there's no possible way they can please the entirety of the fanbase.
I want to see proof that the everyone who likes Kirby is literally perfectly satisfied with every single thing about the entire franchise. But basically, you want Sega to achieve the impossible of pleasing every single gamer on the planet, all the time, no questions asked, and if one person- just one person- says, "I don't like this one level," there's now suddenly "controversy"???

I want to see proof that the everyone who likes Kirby is literally perfectly satisfied with every single thing about the entire franchise. But basically, you want Sega to achieve the impossible of pleasing every single gamer on the planet, all the time, no questions asked, and if one person- just one person- says, "I don't like this one level," there's now suddenly "controversy"???

Well yeah. It's incredibly minor controversy but it is indeed controversy.

I don't think anybody will ever please every gamer in the universe but if sega could somehow please a great majority that would be pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well.................................yeah. I never see the Kirby fanbase for example being divided like ours.

Regarding this, I think it's worth noting for the sake of the discussion that quite a few fans were less than pleased with the direction of Epic Yarn.

I don't think anybody will ever please every gamer in the universe but if sega could somehow please a great majority that would be pretty cool.

Well they must be on the right track then.

• Thumbs Up 3

LOL, another game we get before America. This year is pretty odd when it comes to release dates.

Not really. If you ask me every Sonic game should release in Europe first. It's where most of his more loyal fans are.

If some people liking something and some people not liking something is controversy, then literally everything ever is controversial. :/

So anyway, about the trailer, I find it interesting Sonic curls into a ball when jumping between rails. I wonder if that'll be in the final game, although it'd make a bit more sense if, when he spun between rails, he spun horizontally rather than facing forward as he jumps (I'm ... not sure how to word this properly, lol).

Why are we complaining about "minor controversy" in light of the reality that there's no existing entertainment property universally liked by everyone, all the time, throughout history? This is literally impossible to achieve.

Because of this I tried really hard to think about something entertaining that is universally liked by everyone

new book smell

checkmate

(that's an entertainment of some kind right)

Don't join the Zelda fanbase. It'll eat you alive.

The Persona fanbase also has a pretty big schism thanks to P3/P4 being radically different from P1/P2.

And holy hell, don't even touch Final Fantasy. They're just as fragmented as we are, if not more.

And about the "controversy" thing... come on now, really? Controversy is me being personally offended and filing a lawsuit because a colorful shape killed my uncle. Reality is me being disappointed at what looks like an enormous visual downgrade.

Why are we complaining about "minor controversy" in light of the reality that there's no existing entertainment property universally liked by everyone, all the time, throughout history? This is literally impossible to achieve. Expecting it from Sega is absolutely ridiculous, and frankly helps feed this annoying assumption that any and all criticism means an entire opinion counts as "hate." If this is the standard we've been operating under all these years, it's not Sega's fault anymore for being unable to please the masses. It's the masses for having impossible standards.

I was never complaining, my object was to point out that it was technically controversy. 

To be honest I've never cared about controversy in anything. I like what I like and I don't care what other people think. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I was never complaining, my object was to point out that it was technically controversy.
You've stretched the definition of controversy to unviable proportions. Controversy is literally defined as a prolonged state of public dispute, meaning it must involve the masses at large actually arguing about something over a long period of time. A person saying they like everything about a game except x facet of it is not controversy.