Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

Actually, I do have one concern for this game. 

Is Tails going to be in the game? I looked it up and he seems to be in :/ . 

That would be a shame, because Tails sucked in Sonic 2. I wish he wasn't in. 

Tails has been in almost every Sonic game since 2....

Tails has been in almost every Sonic game since 2....

I didn't play any Sonic game since Sonic 2 since I heard they all sucked. 

They probably suck because of Tails tongue.png

Lol, Joke tongue.png

Maybe ohmy.png

They probably suck because of Tails tongue.png

Lol, Joke tongue.png

Maybe ohmy.png

... Holy shit.

Welcome to Sonic, my friend.

Play Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations, and you'll have covered all the best in the series (SA1 is easily the weakest out of the bunch, but it does have a lot of charm in my opinion). Everything else ranges from garbage to mediocre. Unleashed would be one of the best if not for the Werehog, so if you can put up with that, go for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

@Pelican: don't believe everything you hear from the critics. They're kinda loco when it comes to Sonic. Also really closed-minded, too. Either way, welcome to the Sonic series!

Also, to add to what Discoid said..

Play Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations, and you'll have covered all the best in the series (SA1 is easily the weakest out of the bunch, but it does have a lot of charm in my opinion). Everything else ranges from garbage to mediocre. Unleashed would be one of the best if not for the Werehog, so if you can put up with that, go for it.

If you want more 2D Sonic games to play, check out Sonic Pocket Adventure and Sonic Advance for a good time. Advance 2 might be good too if you liked the previous one, but its a bit on the different side.

And do everyone a favor and DON'T play Sonic 4 (but if you do I guess skip 'episode 1' and play 'episode 2').

Anyways woop woop back on topic, sorry~

Edited by Azookara

Right...back to our daily schedule.

I wish they would do more with the Wisps as a concept.

Isn't that what they're pretty much doing here?

I mean more than just a temporary power up you use once. What they're doing is essentially making more new wisps, and although I applaud that I would love to see them go beyond mere power-ups.

More focus would probably take a lot away form the Parkour gimmick that's the main focus of the game.

More focus would probably take a lot away form the Parkour gimmick that's the main focus of the game.

Kinda wish they didn't make any Wisps at all if that's the case. I'm not against new power ups and all, but if you're gonna do so then make them interesting to use, otherwise they should have just focused on the Parkour gimmick.

VVVThis works too.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Or it could enhance the Parkour gimmick and allow more unique ways to traverse the game, allowing more paths to be made and so forth.

It's not like a game should only be allowed one gimmick to dominate, they could try blending them together if they're going to bring back past gimmicks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still want context-sensitivity to be lessened some more since they're going to be all over the place now. To figure out a landscape puzzle, have that lightbulb go on and say "aha, I need to use Laser to melt the ice so I can continue on!" would be a heck of a lot more fun than being shown the answer on how to use him in the form of crystals strewn about two feet before the actual Wisp capsule. It's basically the same thing that devolved Heroes' team system into monotony. Don't give me the answer. Give me the tools and let me move and figure it out on my own. They are just begging to be used in this manner.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have a WiiU yet, but I'm worried about having to use the gamepad in the middle of levels. Do.Not.Like

Or it could enhance the Parkour gimmick and allow more unique ways to traverse the game, allowing more paths to be made and so forth.

It's not like a game should only be allowed one gimmick to dominate, they could try blending them together if they're going to bring back past gimmicks.

Isn't that what they are currently doing though? Windy Hill showed pretty god damn well all the paths and shit you could take with the Parkour shenanigans. The Wisps just offer a different way to play the game/go through the level, like when I saw the Eagle being used he flew over tons of level that could be traversed normally, so I don't exactly get what's being lost with the Wisp's inclusion. No one gimmick is being dominated but chances our the Parkour is the main hook due to it being the hot new thing, as well as the gimmick itself being tied to the very way Sonic controls.

Kinda wish they didn't make any Wisps at all if that's the case. I'm not against new power ups and all, but if you're gonna do so then make them interesting to use, otherwise they should have just focused on the Parkour gimmick.

Wether they will be used interestingly or not is completely unknown at this point. But with the new Wisps shown and the old ones coming back and getting improvements (the Drill wisp at least). Simply put, I don't think actively not having them there would make the game automatically better rather it's just less stuff one could be doing in the level.

..Is it the main focus of the game?

Are we really even sure of that at this point?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wether they will be used interestingly or not is completely unknown at this point. But with the new Wisps shown and the old ones coming back and getting improvements (the Drill wisp at least). Simply put, I don't think actively not having them there would make the game automatically better rather it's just less stuff one could be doing in the level.

Lazer is still restrictied to mirror plates, Rocket looks about the same as before, Beat looks...well I don't know what to say to beak. Drill is the only one to be improved from the looks of it, and Eagle is the only one that looks entertaining at least.

Just because we haven't played the game doesn't mean we can't make premptive judgments on what's been shown so far, that's kind of the point of previews.

And I don't think anyone would object to the game being completely parkour.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

I don't think we can say the Wisps being there are benign to the quality of the game as a whole and the Parkour either. As I say all the time, a game is a limited production that costs real time and money. If you have two major gameplay gimmicks acting within the same proverbial space as one another (which are not going to be completely optional because that's effectively a waste of money and the suits don't like it when you waste money), they are both affecting each other outright in terms of level design and time that can be devoted to each as devoted in the initial design. Unless they're being handled by two totally different departments like Chao and cutscenes were, they are pretty much splitting resources between one another which, depending upon your view, can be a good or bad thing.

Isn't that what they are currently doing though? Windy Hill showed pretty god damn well all the paths and shit you could take with the Parkour shenanigans. The Wisps just offer a different way to play the game/go through the level, like when I saw the Eagle being used he flew over tons of level that could be traversed normally, so I don't exactly get what's being lost with the Wisp's inclusion. No one gimmick is being dominated but chances our the Parkour is the main hook due to it being the hot new thing, as well as the gimmick itself being tied to the very way Sonic controls.

No, what they're currently doing, based on what I can tell, is that they've made a new Sonic game and just brought a few new powers from an old gimmick to go with it. It's not about anything being lost with the Wisp's inclusion (where in the world did you even get that from anyway?), it's about taking a concept beyond simple additions to go along with a new feature.

The Wisps almost make this seem like Sonic Colors 2.5 in that while there is definitely some reworking with the level design so that it isn't as blatantly linear as previous games, the Wisps seem more like an tack on with new additions. The Eagle wisp, although awesome looking, seems more restricted in its flight based on the trailer. What could be done to enhance that experience? Well we could try giving freedom of flight with it rather than flying down a path and allow flying around the open sky more to reach other areas. Asteroid wisp is probably the only one that's doing this, but other powers like Laser or Drill don't seem to have been changed at all from Colors. Hell, you could even make the enemies use the wisp powers against you, that's another way of taking a concept to a new level.

Regardless of Parkour being the main hook, that doesn't mean putting more creative use and implementations to a previous gimmick brought back in the game would detract from that, and if anything it shouldn't matter if it did when you should be trying to take your previous concepts and ideas to a new level regardless of what the selling point is.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Looking good. Being able to jump out of the ground while using the drill wisp is definitely a good move.

The new art style isn't as simplistic as I thought it would be. The new stages seem to be jam-packed with detail.

They probably suck because of Tails tongue.png

Lol, Joke tongue.png

Maybe ohmy.png

Welcome to the Sonic franchise! Play whichever game you want since the best way to tell which game is good or bad depends on the player, no need to listen to critics. I do recommend however like most had said, the Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Tails can actually fly & swim there, much better than in Sonic 2, & his super form is badass too), the Adventure series, the Advance series, Rush series, Colours, Generations (PS3/360/PC), & even some Game Gear/Master system titles that are available on the Wii virtual console! Also, if your interested in Heroes, get the GameCube version/or Xbox version (depending on your preference in console) - stay away from the PS2 version, that is an unholy mess.

& yeah, Sonic is doing rather awesome from Colours onwards in my opinion. I was rather surprised to find out that wisps were making a return, but it feels right. Wonder if Yacker will return (& maybe more of those charming & amusing cutscenes of Sonic & Tails interacting with Yacker)?

Just a thought guys... What if the Deadly 6 were actually evil/mutated wisps? Although, it does sound too similar to the Chaos/Chao concept... Who knows? Maybe I shouldn't think too far into it, or else my expectations will go haywire.

Yo dudes if you want something a bit different to look at that looks more like a concise locations that is definitely Sonicy, head on over to the screenshots thread because woa I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And this is just one of the stages we haven't seen yet. I think the variety of locations in this game is going to be bigger than we thought!

Are any of you a bit less worried by the art direction after seeing that or is it just me?

• Thumbs Up 1

E10? Really? Wow, that's a little weird.

Though I'm still not a huge fan of the Wisp powers returning, as they kind of seem out of place for now (but I'm sure we'll get an in-game explanation... right? RIGHT???), Eagle looks pretty darn cool. I agree with rhythm though. It just seems a little pointless, much like Cube did. God, I hated the living daylights out of Cube. 

Edited by Sapphire

It's probably E10 since Sonic will have to beat the shit out of slightly humanised creatures instead of just robots.

It's probably E10 since Sonic will have to beat the shit out of slightly humanised creatures instead of just robots.

It's 7+ in the uk, so I'm just assuming its the cartoon violence thing with the parkour moves. So yeah, most likely.

Edited by Hyper-Shan

Not  sure if this has been posted here yet tongue.png

Trailer 2 (Japanese version)

Edited by JemiDove