Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

I hope the jungle level has some rainforest act. I would love to see that! Also can't wait to see more from all the levels!

Dem ghosts. Where have I seen them before...

1803-boo.png

It makes me really happy to see these guys back instead of, say, the ghosts from Sandopolis. Not that there was anything wrong with those (er... aesthetically, at least), but it's nice that such a classic-themed game is still willing to acknowledge other parts of the series. Makes everything kinda... flow.

I'm not expecting to seriously get an explicit reference to the events of Adventure 2, but man, now I'm kind of hoping for one. It might finally justify the random appearance of King Boom Boo after more than a decade~

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, they said die.

To me this shows promise; looks like the villains may not be sunshine and roses despite the colorful, vibrant nature of the game. I approve! We can also predict the Deadly Six are probably led by a ham.

I thought it was Dan Green voicing Zavok; given that Travis Willingham sounds exactly like Dan Green (it's creepy actually), I predict it's just him. Maybe he inherited Green's tendency to be half of the side characters?

Liking the new Wisp powers. I just hope there's an explanation as to why they're back. Especially now that they seem to be using the full range... it would feel forced if there's no reasoning. Then again given the targeting age, I guess Sonic Team doesn't expect the average player to really care about them.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Wow. The jungle level looks stunning...definitely makes me more satisfied with the graphical direction of Sonic Lost World. Kinda looks like DKCR in HD--which is not a bad thing. Some have said the desert level looks bland here but I disagree. It looks pretty interesting to me despite the fact that it is, by nature of being a desert, somewhat empty. Glad to see some more 3D sections in the game.

The Color Powers have me really excited and interested. I like the new animations for the previous wisps (drill looked especially nice when it popped out of the ground.) The new wisps are also looking good. I like that the Wii U version is going include Asteroid; Hawk and Rhythm look promising. Although I am pretty surprised that we're getting three new color powers in addition to returning ones. I was surprised to see the Color powers return at all and now I'm twice as surprised to see they're getting as much emphasis as they did when they debuted in Colors. I'm certainly not complaining, but I do wonder if this is an indication that they're going to be sticking around past Lost World considering they have now appeared in three consecutive games. (Colors, Generations, and now Lost World)

I love what I'm seeing here..specially DAT JUNGLE.

Makes me wonder if they forgot about the Hover and Void wisps tho' since they're kinda similar.

But Hover's definitely a lot slower than eagle. I kinda wish they would use the term evolved wisps in this case.

WISP-A-MON!

If you look at the trailer from 0:39 (after Sonic turns back to normal from the Red flying wisp) there appears to be some rail grinding. Why Sonic Team, why? I'm just so sick of Sonic grinding on rails.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I loved the grinding in Sonic Adventure 2. It's just that since then it's either not been well implemented, or it's been a rather boring design.

Edited by Adam West -Bender-

Wow, they really got creative with the wisps. Eagle looks like how hover should have been from the last go round and Rhythm is exceedingly creative ^^.

Now give me a Music Plant stage orchestrated by Rhythm powers and we've got ourselves another candidate for best stage in the series. lol

• Thumbs Up 8

I am guessing, one of the boss battles will be King Boom Boo, mind controled by one of the members of the Deadly Six. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Now give me a Music Plant stage orchestrated by Rhythm powers and we've got ourselves another candidate for best stage in the series. lol

Now I am going to sorely disappointed if this doesn't happen. It'd be like Automatic Mario, except you actually do stuff and control the Wisp, or even just like the musical level of Rayman Legends, which is way too much fun for how simple it is.

I mean, in a series best known for it's music, I'd be cool if we just had one single level that was purely based around that aspect, and Rhythm Wisp means it's potential is right there in their face. Please, SEGA? D:

• Thumbs Up 1

I am guessing, one of the boss battles will be King Boom Boo, mind controled by one of the members of the Deadly Six.

As nice as a nod to SA2's continuity would be as it shows Sega's interested in a coherent timeline, I'm doubting this. I think the Boo was just there for a reference.

Then again, with the Wisps making a return... if there's no Ass Pull to explain why they're present, logically they can do other games as well. Let's just hope it doesn't come off as too Generations-esque.

...otherwise I'm gonna be mad pissed because of Classic Sonic not being in it.

If you look at the trailer from 0:39 (after Sonic turns back to normal from the Red flying wisp) there appears to be some rail grinding. Why Sonic Team, why? I'm just so sick of Sonic grinding on rails.

Grind rails have kinda been a series staple since SA2, since they're in every 3D Sonic game, and even the newer 2D ones as well. As a hedgehog all about cool-concepts, I think grinding rails and parkour are defining things for his character and attitude. I personally don't find them that bad, especially not in most recent installments where rail hopping and balancing isn't a concern to wether or not you'll die. Plus give us more awesome segments like Rooftop Run's rail drop thing and they can be proven to be pretty badass honesty I think.

If anything I just hope they give us a new rail thing to do. Dodging spikes gets kinda old and I think there's a lot more you can do with the idea.

• Thumbs Up 8

And so it turns out the Deadly Six have voices after all! I couldn't really make much of their voices, though, considering how they were all talking at the near exact same time.

Finally, we get some more Desert Level footage! It doesn't look too bad, from what I'm seeing. The jungle looks like it could be an act from later on in Windy Hill, but I dunno. The Ruins level looks like it could be part of Windy Hill, too, with the loops in the background. And a snow level...let's just hope there aren't any ice physics.

The Asteroid wisp isn't 3DS exclusive from the footage shown, and that's fine by me. The Drill Wisp works a bit differently from what I've remembered, was it always able to jump from out of the ground? The Rhythm Wisp might be a challenge, especially when there could be a pit somewhere below. The Eagle Wisp looks like fun! It does kinda give that Galaxy 2 vibe, but faster.

they totally missed the chance to make it red white and blue though

Anyways, that was a nice trailer! I think I can see it building up to something in the future.

God, those visuals are so... underwhelming. Really not liking the look of the game at all, especially after Generations looked downright beautiful.

Unimpressive graphics aside though, I do think it actually looks fun this time around, so that's something. Might have to rent it and spend the weekend at a friend's house if he gets a Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 4

Man I don't even know what to say to this except:

While I think it looks gr8 the floor textures do look a bit.. fuzzy.

If that makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I think it looks gr8 the floor textures do look a bit.. fuzzy.

If that makes sense.

You sure that just isn't because of the video quality that pic was taken from?

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME GETS BETTER AND BETTER

It looks like the color powers look fun to use, and they improved the ones that were from Sonic Colors. Drill for example seems smoother to control and allows you to dig in and out of ground. The purple wisp was replaced with the Sonic Colors DS version which was far superior. It gave you more freedom as it allowed super easy control and allowed to move up and down. Eagle and Rhythm? Look phenomenal.

The aesthetics of the levels? Amazing. They look like the best Sonic levels. It seems to go back to how the classics did it. They all look quirky and fun. I honestly hope future Sonic games continue these route of themes. I'm honestly surprised that we're still seeing people saying the graphics are underwhelming or disappointing.

Looks like a Day One buy to me. This is looking like to be Sonic's best game yet.

Edit:

@Discoid

Is that Apotos picture really good to you? Brown/Greys with some greens growing? It looks quite boring to the Sonic Lost World set up that Dio linked.

Apotos also dipped down to like 15 frames per a second. The game could barely run that level.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

You sure that just isn't because of the video quality that pic was taken from?

Even then, the texture itself looks really flat and void of detail.

The whole game is full of flat textures and lighting. It looks so... ugly. To me, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Doesn't even come close to this:

[luscious sonic unleashed image]

At this point, though, we're comparing two different art styles. It'd be like comparing Wind Waker HD to Team Fortress 2. Yeah, they're both cartoony, but the style is different enough to let it stand out on its own. 

I prefer the high quality lush lighting from Unleashed and Generations, but I'm going to give Sonic Lost World credit where it's due, it's got style.

• Thumbs Up 4

How much of this can you actually interact with and how much is just distractions that look good on screenshots?

I honestly don't really care. I'm satisfied with the level design, and the game is gorgeous to look at. Lost World doesn't look to be extremely large and expansive, it just got rid of the extra fluff. I liked that extra fluff. Made it feel like I was actually running through Sonic's world, and not "ALRIGHT SONIC GET TO THE END OF THIS RANDOM EXPANSE OF LAND FLOATING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SKY FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER".

Not to mention, that level ran at mostly sub-30fps on the 360 and chugged horribly. It pretty much ONLY looked good in screenshots.

Lost World will actually look better in motion, at 60 and on an actual TV. 

That's why you play PC. That was from Generations' Unleashed mod. 

• Thumbs Up 9