Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

Even then, the texture itself looks really flat and void of detail.

The whole game is full of flat textures and lighting. It looks so... ugly. To me, anyway.

I-im sorry can't look at that Jungle pic and even vaguely relate it to "ugly"...like at all. All the shapes like the trees/leaves and structures are so abstract and pop out in such a way that it really gives the game a lot of flair. 

Like Dio siad, it really looks live it's striving for that perfect classic style in 3D games.

Edited by Gryo Man
  • Thumbs Up 3

Man, do I feel sad when people bring up the graphics define the game crap. *sigh*

Shows how sadly obsessed and deluded peeps are with em' Graphics

• Thumbs Up 3

Not to mention, that level ran at mostly sub-30fps on the 360 and chugged horribly. It pretty much ONLY looked good in screenshots.

Lost World will actually look better in motion, at 60 and on an actual TV. 

Some even say the amount of detail and things moving in Gens/Unleashed ended up being distracting and ruining the game for them. Others pointed out that the game looks cool when you're standing still, but as soon as you move it falls apart.

Can't wait to see Lost World in motion when I pop it into my Wii U. SIXTY FUCKING FRAMES PER A SECOND AND THIS ART STYLE?

/dead

• Thumbs Up 3

That's why you play PC. That was from Generations' Unleashed mod. 

And while I'd love a PC port of this game, this isn't getting one. I think it's only fair to compare console games to console games, because any PC ports, modded or otherwise are usually gonna be a cut above the rest. 

I-im sorry can't look at that Jungle pic and even vaguely relate it to "ugly"...like at all. All the shapes like the trees/leaves and structures are so abstract and pop out in such a way that it really gives the game a lot of flair. 

Like Dio siad, it really looks live it's striving for that perfect classic style in 3D games.

Evidently the classic style doesn't translate all that well to 3D, in my opinion. It also still personally reminds me more of Mario Galaxy than anything else to be honest. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I liked Sonic the way he was.

It all just looks so... jumbled. Messy. Lacks focus and depth. All of these shapes and bright colors are fighting for my attention and it doesn't feel engrossing at all to me. It really takes me out of it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Aw man, this is looking awesome! I would buy it day one, but I was also planning to put it on my B-day wish list, darn it, oh well XD

The new wisps look well done, but I would like to point out that the Rhythm wisp acts as a seperate path like say super sonic, being a faster route at higher risk

And while I'd love a PC port of this game, this isn't getting one. I think it's only fair to compare console games to console games, because any PC ports, modded or otherwise are usually gonna be a cut above the rest. 

So the game's graphics had to suffer on account of it being exclusive to the Wii U. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean it's void from criticism. I just don't like the way it looks.

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_mq1npsNckM1qjkwxto2_250.gif

Windy Hill or some sort of Beach...?

Gotta be a beach level, there's no palms like that in Windy Hill.

Lost World in it's single acts from what I've seen so far has the same constant backgrounds throughout one act, having none of the variety of Unleashed, which made me feel as if the environment was ever-changing through one act.

So the screenshots of levels taking place at different times of day don't count or....?

So the screenshots of levels taking place at different times of day don't count or....?

Hence the reason as to why I said single acts; We've seen no indication that a single act changes from day to night as you play it or that the backgrounds change much at all. In Windy Hill, you're always seeing the same environment below the floating level throughout a single act.

You can see Eggman's floating egg pod thing behind Zazz (or whatever the purple guy's name is) in that trailer.

While I think it looks gr8 the floor textures do look a bit.. fuzzy.

If that makes sense.

The "floor" there is almost certainly mud or toxic sludge or somesuch, since that's a rail segment.

I have no issues with the game from a visual standpoint I just find abundance of Wisps and lack of emphasis on Parkour (which remains the highlight for me personally) concerning.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have no issues with the game from a visual standpoint I just find abundance of Wisps and lack of emphasis on Parkour (which remains the highlight for me personally) concerning.

Maybe that is because this is a trailer about the wisp powers...?
  • Thumbs Up 7

Gotta say I still hate the style and the way the game looks. I liked the new red wisp though and that jungle level seems to look quite good. The gameplay also might be enjoyanle but it sure is not enough for me. The cutscenes graphics and colors look incredibly lame and all those colors just hurt my eyes. Looks like a bad coloring of a little child.

To be fair, that trailer was specifically meant to focus on the Colors powers.

Maybe that is because this is a trailer about the wisp powers...?

I know the trailer was about Wisp powers (I'm not an idiot), but rhythm notes and such suspended over bottomless pits makes for a bad impression.

All that nonsense and speculation about them being optional can simply be thrown out of the window. Wisps were my primary issue with Sonic Colors and I do not have high hopes for them going into Lost World.

Edited by Chooch

I know the trailer was about Wisp powers (I'm not an idiot), but rhythm notes and such suspended over bottomless pits makes for a bad impression.

I still think it has potential to be good considering Rayman and stuff.

I wanna keep an open mind is all, good execution can mean the difference between a lame gimmick and an amazing one. If it doesn't go well, there is nothing to blame but SEGA's talent as game designers, because this has every potential to be brilliant fun.

It can have all sorts of relation if it's distracting and you're doing hybrid/angled games like these, and considering the amount of effort gone into these areas it should very well give you the opportunity to see what's beyond, especially when most of everything in the game is padded and recycled after the initial levels.

Hell I remember seeing the first Generations screenshots and being floored by the quality like everyone else. Then I played the first act with Classic Sonic and found myself disoriented with everything in full focus and having everything blending in with the background, as well as actually assuming some background pieces were platforms I could move on.

Art design and game play ought to always go together.

Well that's not really to blame the visuals as much as the amount of game field the designers let you have to move around (talking 3D segments here, not really the 2D parts). I too was very disappointed with how much environment looked as if it blended into each other but couldn't access, but that made me just want to have the freedom to do that, not have them simplify it down to nothing to compensate.

Either way, I still do love both the Lost World and previous style (the previous one just a tad more). I love the amount of emphasis on color and style the SLoW style has, but I'd probably appreciate it much more if it wasn't always on a planetoid or in a 2D segment.

Edited by Azookara

How much of this can you actually interact with and how much is just distractions that look good on screenshots?

You can interact with about the same amount of stuff as seen in the new Jungle Stage.

It can have all sorts of relation if it's distracting and you're doing hybrid/angled games like these, and considering the amount of effort gone into these areas it should very well give you the opportunity to see what's beyond, especially when most of everything in the game is padded and recycled after the initial levels.

More detailed backgrounds would be a hinderance in a game which doesn't abide by normal laws of physics, you're right.

Hell I remember seeing the first Generations screenshots and being floored by the quality like everyone else. Then I played the first act with Classic Sonic and found myself disoriented with everything in full focus and having everything blending in with the background, as well as actually assuming some background pieces were platforms I could move on.

Now that we have more powerful consoles, depth-of-field could be a useful thing.

Also, the perspective issues were mainly in 2D, in a proper 3D environment, most of what you see should be stuff you can interact with (level boundaries being clearly marked naturally)

Art design and game play ought to always go together.

Yes.

This art design fits well with this games gameplay gimmick. I just hope that future 3D games that aren't set on tubes in the sky, don't have exactly the same visual design. I like the buzzing cartoon aesthetic, but the textures for most things just look far too flat. Also, there just isn't much stuff around, I liked it when there were all sorts of little details spread around the stages. Sometimes they'd be pointless, but it made the world come alive.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5