Awoo.

Lost World Trailer 2 "This looks a bit like *Insert game here*"

Badnik Mechanic

Jungle Zone needs this music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRMhyLPQPw[

Also I don't think any one has mention this guy 2luangk.jpgI don't remember seeing him in any classic sonic games. tho he does remind me of the first boss from sonic2 on the game gear and the scraped enemy from sonicCD on the R2 level. (mind you levels are underground and desert theme!!!)

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 6

Also I don't think any one has mention this guy 2luangk.jpgI don't remember seeing him in any classic sonic games. tho he does remind me of the first boss from sonic2 on the game gear and the scraped enemy from sonicCD on the R2 level. (mind you levels are underground and desert theme!!!)

I'm loving the tail made up of bumpers! It's weird how this game has a better classic feel than Sonic 4 E1/2 did...

Son of a bitch! It does looks like a final version of the Sonic CD R2 level badnik!

R2Sprites.png

• Thumbs Up 2

1# Couldn't disagree more. The style, colour palette and visual appeal of this game completely blow previous games out of the water. 

2# A rotating log with at least 4 alternative paths to take is certainly better than a straight line with a different path here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the previous games we've had, but this just seems to be hitting all the right points. Sonic is/was a colourful series. Kids like colour not realistic looking textures. Green Hill Zone in Generations was a brilliant attempt at recreating the stage in HD, but the colours were so flat. Look at Emerald Hill Zone for example.

Sonic2EmeraldHill.png

Solid, bright colours. Then look at the colours in Windy Hill.

sonic_lost_world_9_605x.jpg

This is what a Sonic game should be.

I like the colours, but I don't like the paper-like art style/textures or the static background. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm loving the tail made up of bumpers! It's weird how this game has a better classic feel than Sonic 4 E1/2 did...

I know right XD Am loving the style too, reminds me of the Badnik art work from sonic CDSasori.PNGBata-pyon.PNG

Son of a bitch! It does looks like a final version of the Sonic CD R2 level badnik!

R2Sprites.png

Also this guy UZ_Boss.png

looks like sega has been paying attention.

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Holy crapola new badniks that look more like classic badniks than anything since Sonic 3 and maybe even based off unused designs as well as returning enemies from almost every point of Sonic history

This game is hitting all the right notes in terms of subtle fanservice I can say that with confidence.

• Thumbs Up 2

The textures are probably my favorite part of the art style ironically. It's easily one of the more balanced subtle/detailed blends we've had from a 3D Sonic game. Reminds me a lot of Viva Piñata, which is a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Lost World is shaping up great, both as a hopefully fun game and as a really pretty-looking environment, and holy fuck I am loving nighttime Windy Hill Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am personally even more excited for this game now. I love what I saw, and I loved Zavok's quote early in the video. Also, I love the new Wisp power ups, especially the red Eagle Wisp. I'll be getting this game on day one for sure!

1# Couldn't disagree more. The style, colour palette and visual appeal of this game completely blow previous games out of the water. 

2# A rotating log with at least 4 alternative paths to take is certainly better than a straight line with a different path here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the previous games we've had, but this just seems to be hitting all the right points. Sonic is/was a colourful series. Kids like colour not realistic looking textures. Green Hill Zone in Generations was a brilliant attempt at recreating the stage in HD, but the colours were so flat. Look at Emerald Hill Zone for example.

Sonic2EmeraldHill.png

Solid, bright colours. Then look at the colours in Windy Hill.

sonic_lost_world_9_605x.jpg

This is what a Sonic game should be.

Sonic was never just about big bright colours and flat textures though (and I think that you underestimate children if you believe that they can't appreciate more than that):

5360nw1.png Sonic3C0408_AngelIslandZone.png 29ay7nt.png

Icecap.png mysticcave21.png

You can also see that the classics were brimming with as much detail as the team could possibly include. Even in your screenshot of Emerald Hill, the earth is textured so that parts appear to have depth, which is very different to the flat checkerboard walls in Windy Hill.

It's likely to become a pet peeve of mine that people are going to assume this bright, simple and flat style is similar to the that of the classics'. =P

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 7

I seriously don't understand how level design has anything to do with the aesthetic design. We're talking about completely different things here.

I also have to say that calling this "flat" completely boggles my mind. In what universe is Generations not colorful?

I understand having a preference for the new style. Really, I do. But let's be real here - just because Lost World's textures are extremely saturated and bright does not mean Generations is suddenly dull and flat. 

From Generations and Unleashed, I see detail, atmosphere, and an amazing sense of realism and scale. I adore that. In comparison, I find Lost World very flat and dull. Flat in the sense that I don't feel any depth in the design of the levels. I don't feel like I'm in them. All I see is a simple obstacle course, and while that can be nice as well, I just don't think it works for Sonic. It's just too simple and basic for my liking. 

Now that Carbo mentions it... it does remind me a lot of Viva Piñata. ... Not really a fan of that art style, either.

Yeah. . .the thing about Generations was that while each of these looks nice as a still, in motion it made my eyes bleed.  Especially speed highway.  Couldn't focus on anything.  Plus, these kinds of visuals are extremely expensive, time consuming to make, resulting in shorter games that have fewer levels.  

I now dub the Eagle Wisp FREEDOM WISP

Nah but seriously I love the look of it.  I'm so curious to see what kind of applications it will have and how it will be used in the levels.  Rhythm Wisp looks neat too.  Very whimsical.

I understand having a preference for the new style. Really, I do. But let's be real here - just because Lost World's textures are extremely saturated and bright does not mean Generations is suddenly dull and flat. 

From Generations and Unleashed, I see detail, atmosphere, and an amazing sense of realism and scale. I adore that. In comparison, I find Lost World very flat and dull. Flat in the sense that I don't feel any depth in the design of the levels. I don't feel like I'm in them. All I see is a simple obstacle course, and while that can be nice as well, I just don't think it works for Sonic. It's just too simple and basic for my liking. 

Now that Carbo mentions it... it does remind me a lot of Viva Piñata. ... Not really a fan of that art style, either.

I hate to beat the dead horse, but how can you say something like this without having played the game.  I understand what you're getting at here, and acknowledge and respect the fact that you're not a fan of the art style but this doesn't really make sense to me.  I don't "feel" like I'm in the game staring at those Generations screenshots either.  I didn't get that sensation until I was actually playing the game.  The immersion offered from staring at screenshots and videos doesn't even compare to actually playing.  I also never got a sense of realism in Generations at all.  I got a sense of depth, and a sense that I'm in a kind of world but not a sense of realism per say.

Maybe I'm just looking too deep into something you may have just worded a little poorly.  But as I said, I get the grand scheme of what you're saying.  I personally like this new style and I'm not too fussed about stuff like flat textures because I know when I get into the game and it's running at that 60 FPS I'll be too busy enjoying how smooth it feels (I have the same feelings towards Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, not the best graphically but incredibly animated and runs silky smooth).

Though I do very much agree with the statement "just because Lost World's textures are extremely saturated and bright does not mean Generations is suddenly dull and flat." 

• Thumbs Up 2

Both sides have good points. There is nothing wrong with Gens' visuals, but they were very busy at times and to some maybe it was hard to tell the stage from the backgrounds (not for all, for some)

With this, maybe it's a little flat and not as beautiful as we're used to, but I'd like to believe it's taking a backseat to gameplay.

I'm confident that visuals will get better again in succeeding titles.

Personally, I love Roger's voice and can't wait to hear more of him in Lost World.

:U

:UUUU

:UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dual Audio like SA2 would be cool though.

And holy fucking shit them wisps, must've taken some serious critical thinking to make a fucking eagle wisp.

I really really hope the wisps actually have something to do with the story and aren't just there for the sake of being there.

Even then, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wisps go back to their home planet at the end of Colors? Then why the hell are they back? Did Yacker get in an accident and hid himself while he tried to repair himself?

Also I found another hidden Jem, Check this guy out!!jjqz39.jpgIt appears to be some sort of snail badnik. It reminds me of the unused badnik from sonic 2 16 bit

Snailbot.png

Maybe sega is using unused badniks!!

Edited by Da Victoes

Also I found another hidden Jem Check this guy outjjqz39.jpgIt appears to be some sort of snail badnik. it reminds me of the unused badnik from sonic 2 16 bit

Snailbot.png

maybe sega is using unused badniks!!

That's Snailblaster from Sonic 3's Launch Base zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's Snailblaster from Sonic 3's Launch Base zone.

Aha My bad,it appears your right. I guess I can't be right all the time. aha

Yeah. . .the thing about Generations was that while each of these looks nice as a still, in motion it made my eyes bleed.  Especially speed highway.  Couldn't focus on anything.  Plus, these kinds of visuals are extremely expensive, time consuming to make, resulting in shorter games that have fewer levels.  

Then spend more time working on the game. I'd rather spend more time waiting for the best game possible than get a watered down, visually disappointing one sooner.

I hate to beat the dead horse, but how can you say something like this without having played the game.  I understand what you're getting at here, and acknowledge and respect the fact that you're not a fan of the art style but this doesn't really make sense to me.  I don't "feel" like I'm in the game staring at those Generations screenshots either.  I didn't get that sensation until I was actually playing the game.  The immersion offered from staring at screenshots and videos doesn't even compare to actually playing.  I also never got a sense of realism in Generations at all.  I got a sense of depth, and a sense that I'm in a kind of world but not a sense of realism per say.

Maybe I'm just looking too deep into something you may have just worded a little poorly.  But as I said, I get the grand scheme of what you're saying.  I personally like this new style and I'm not too fussed about stuff like flat textures because I know when I get into the game and it's running at that 60 FPS I'll be too busy enjoying how smooth it feels (I have the same feelings towards Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, not the best graphically but incredibly animated and runs silky smooth).

Though I do very much agree with the statement "just because Lost World's textures are extremely saturated and bright does not mean Generations is suddenly dull and flat." 

Well that's what I meant by realism; not that it's something that we'd actually see while taking a walk, but something that looks like a believable world when you hold you suspension of disbelief. What I'm essentially saying is that the levels look like actual locations, rather than themed obstacle courses.

I also believe that I can get a decent sense of immersion from watching decently recorded footage of the game. When I watched Generations footage, I was engrossed and excited. I couldn't wait to see more of each level, you know? Remember whenever a new level got revealed, and we all lost our shit in excitement seeing how beautiful everything looked and how everything had been reimagined? I loved that. I like being engrossed in the worlds my games present - it's why I adore games like Shadow of the Colossus, Limbo, and Journey. The world-building and atmosphere is amazing. Generations gave me a similar enjoyment with its levels, since each one looked gorgeous and artistically inspired.

Lost World, to me, feels so much like a... game. Why is everything so simple and flat? Because of technical limitations? Sure. Why are the levels so clearly designed simply as obstacle courses for the player? Because building complicated backdrops takes time and money.

But when I play a new Sonic game, I like the number one thought on my mind to be "wow, this place looks beautiful", or "shit yeah I feel awesome speeding through here like a bullet", like how I did in all of Generations' levels. What I don't like to be thinking is "oh cool Sonic Team saved on budget here".

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 8

So since I just got here I'm just going to ignore current discussion and post my thoughts on the new trailer smile.png

What I like:

-New wisps. I'm still kinda against the idea of wisps being a recurring thing in Sonic, but I really like the look of the new wisps. AMERCI-I mean Eagle looks really awesome, and Rhythm looks awesome as well. I just hope they don't use Rhythm mostly as a bottomless-pit crosser. 

-I like how Drill jumps out of the ground now, makes it a bit more dynamic. 

-Zavok's voice is incredibly badass and I hope his bossfight lives up to how cool he sounds. It's been so long since we've had a new serious and "badass" character in Sonic, it's really refreshing. 

-As much as I'm not that big of a fan of the artstyle, that jungle level is incredibly good looking.

-Actual desert level in desert area!

What I don't like: 

-Desert Level looks very bland and empty. Hopefully there's more to it then meets the eye. 

-From the trailer, it seems that Zavok will be the only Deadly Six member that actually talks. Disappointing. 

-Grinding still looks very automated, hopefully they do something interesting with it. 

-All the levels kinda look like Windy Hill in which you can skip the platforming/exploration by running forward, at least in 3d. 

So yeah while I still have some gripes I'm still hyped after this trailer. Can't wait for October 22nd!

Edited by Chaos Warp