Awoo.

MAG, SOCOM 4 & Confrontation's online services to close

Badnik Mechanic

Years ago, when Resistance announced that it would have a 64 player multiplayer game, many people didn't believe it, it was such a high number.

Then at a random E3, Sony announced a game called MAG in which players would be put into battles consisting of 120 players. Nobody believed it.

But along came MAG... and it was awesome.

MAG is one of my favourite games of this gen. You were put into huge battles with teams of other players and the tide of battle could turn thanks to the actions of a single clever player.

It really was a wonderful game.

However... it's online only. Theres no single player mode at all, when it was first released it was amazingly popular, today though, it's nowhere near as popular, but it still has a huge following. Hundreds of players, waiting for the day news comes out that servers will close.

And that day is today.

Sony have announced that the servers for MAG will close on January 28th 2014, along with SOCOM 4 and Confrontation, more or less ending developer Zippers legacy completely.

I can sorta understand the reasons why, I tried to play a game of MAG about a year or two ago and was waiting ages to get put into a game, can't imagine what it's like now. Theres no way for the game to make money anymore, whilst there is DLC, it was made free to PSN+ users about a year ago and theres no way thats gonna cover server costs.

SOCOM... I ain't got no clue on that one.

Sigh... awesome games, destined to die. *salutes*

Source: Sony twitter.

I just hope the community has one big final bash like what MGO did before it died.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Autosaver

• Frogging101

Top Posters In This Topic

This is, case in point, exactly why I am so against the idea of always-online/internet-dependant games. Software doesn't degrade, so when one buys it it's under the assumption that it will last for as long as you keep it. Having a game depend on online servers run by one company means that if one day the company decides to stop supporting it, you now own a useless piece of optical media (or digital licence).