Awoo.

About Sonic's 20th

Machenstein

Sonic isn't slapstick. Sonic can be funny.

Slapstick basically is funny, and one that would be appropriate for the tone Sonic would be trying to achieve.

An example when Chip faints, and his ghost comes out squirming. What the hell was that?

A classic example of a character being frightened. How in the world is that even slightly an issue?

That's not funny, that's embarrasing.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to show how cartoony the series is. And you're dragging it way too far calling it embarrasing, especially when it barely affects anything throughout the whole plot.

It looks out of place when they force that kind of stuff in the newer games, especially when sonic and his world have been redesigned with a new art style.

Forced? Look at ShTH's plot and then talk to us about something "forced". They basically forced the plot to be overly serious, and failed to do so in accomplishing a serious tone.

If you going to disregard Pho's example of Looney Tunes, then how about Ratchet and Clank? It's plot is deep, but not serious (heck not even Deadlocked was that serious), and full of slapstick humor and parodies. And also, folks actually enjoy the series for that (and the destruction they can do). I don't see how Sonic can't have slapstick humor and look embarrassing, especially when the overdone dark plots during Shadow and Sonic 06 were more embarrasing than anything the series has been through plot-wise.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• Kirvee

• SuperStingray

• ArtFenix

Look at ShTH's plot and then talk to us about something "forced". They basically forced the plot to be overly serious
Well, they did the same with unleashed. We don't deny, that the serious dark plot in Shth was forced, but they did exactly the same with unleashed, but on the slapstick note.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to show how cartoony the series is
We could get it without all these stupid things. I got it before the game came out, that it is cartoony, i'm not so silly, i don't need such proves that the game is cartoonish. Edited by ArtFenix

Well, they did the same with unleashed. We don't deny, that the serious dark plot in Shth was forced, but they did exactly the same with unleashed, but on the slapstick note.

Probably because it fitted a lot better, and because of that it got away with it much easier than ShTH and Sonic 06. You still hear the fanbase gripe more about the stories of those two games than they do Unleashed.

We could get it without all these stupid things.

Seriously, how is that even that big of a problem? That scene was suppose to be stupid, that's how it works for a character acting as comic relief.

I got it before the game came out, that it is cartoony, i'm not so silly, i don't need such proves that the game is cartoonish.

That's not making any sense to me. Could you please rephrase that?

Seriously, how is that even that big of a problem? That scene was suppose to be stupid, that's how it works for a character acting as comic relief.
I don't mind, this stupid ghost is just not sonic's style. At all.

Probably because it fitted a lot better
Then why some people think it didn't?

That's not making any sense to me. Could you please rephrase that?
Oh, well, sorry)) I need more practice)) You said:
It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to show how cartoony the series is
I meant, does the game need to show how cartoony it is? I can see it without such jokes, i can see it when i see it's visual style. I don't need such stupid jokes to understand, that SU is more of a cartoony style. I think they went too far with childish humor and jokes. Sa and especially Sonic riders also had a lot of jokes, but they weren't THAT stupid and childish. Edited by ArtFenix

How about a dark/serious story but with humor in the cutscenes? Bascially dark when it needs to be for the story, but not shoved down your throat to the point of squelching Sonic's attitude and other means of humor. That's something I'd like to see.

How about a dark/serious story but with humor in the cutscenes?
I think it would be good. But not how it was in the last Shadow the hedgehog cutscene with "i'm sure he's fine Rouge! After all, he IS Shadow.." And then they all laughed like idiots. WTF?! And please, no more Chip's "humour". Edited by ArtFenix

I seem to remember BK having a rather dark and serious plot, but Sonic was rather... not serious. At all. (He really seemed to have fun there. x3)

He wasn't trying to be something he's not. I kinda liked that balance. (but, I only SAW a playthrough on YT. I still dodn't have a next-gen console.)

Edited by Blue Streak

I consider myself very worried about the next main series Sonic game. I'm hoping SEGA will come up with a new game idea, instead of beating a dead horse (imo) with a sequel to Sonic Unleashed. I myself, like everyone else here, have my own idea of what a 'perfect' new Sonic game that would please myself and everyone would be like; in fact, I've thought mine out quite a bit over a period of years. I'm now going to do something COMPLETELY UNINTELLIGENT and state a very condensed version of my perfect Sonic game...

Sonic Genesis (Not to be confused with the GBA title): A 3D remake of Sonic's first adventure. It would follow the story of the original game, with very few (if any) additions, and feature no dialogue in the in-game engine cutscenes. The graphics would be a three-dimensional take on the Genesis zones, utilizing the power of the Hedgehog Engine. There'd be plenty of platforming for lovers of the 2D games and the adventure series, but also some sections of high speed (without the utilization of a boost) for the Sonic Unleashed crowd. Modern techniques such as the homing attack and bounce-attack would be included, but not neccesary for level completion.

Each level would be split into the traditional three acts, as well as a separate Boss stage. Each act would have a different take on the original track: the first act of every zone would be the most faithful to the original, and be simple 'arrangement' tracks. Second act music would be handled by Jun Senoue, providing songs like his remake of Sonic 3's first level (as featured in 'True Blue' and 'Smash Bros Brawl'. Third act music would have an orchestral flair and be done by the same people that did Sonci 2006 and Unleashed's soundtrack. Boss music tracks would alternate between these three styles.

There'd be multiple paths, collectable extras hidden throughout the levels, and Chaos Emeralds to retrieve via Warp Ring. Time attack mode would vastly increase the length of the game for purists, and the option to unlock and play as Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow would please those who don't just want to play as Sonic (and add even more hours to the playtime). It would be for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, with no horrible attempt at a Wii port.

---End of Idea---

Alright, now you can tear it all to hell. But at least I finally got that shit out of my system. Hopefully, SEGA will just concentrate on making good gameplay first when it comes to the next Sonic game.

I consider myself very worried about the next main series Sonic game. I'm hoping SEGA will come up with a new game idea, instead of beating a dead horse (imo) with a sequel to Sonic Unleashed. I myself, like everyone else here, have my own idea of what a 'perfect' new Sonic game that would please myself and everyone would be like; in fact, I've thought mine out quite a bit over a period of years. I'm now going to do something COMPLETELY UNINTELLIGENT and state a very condensed version of my perfect Sonic game...

Sonic Genesis (Not to be confused with the GBA title): A 3D remake of Sonic's first adventure. It would follow the story of the original game, with very few (if any) additions, and feature no dialogue in the in-game engine cutscenes. The graphics would be a three-dimensional take on the Genesis zones, utilizing the power of the Hedgehog Engine. There'd be plenty of platforming for lovers of the 2D games and the adventure series, but also some sections of high speed (without the utilization of a boost) for the Sonic Unleashed crowd. Modern techniques such as the homing attack and bounce-attack would be included, but not neccesary for level completion.

Each level would be split into the traditional three acts, as well as a separate Boss stage. Each act would have a different take on the original track: the first act of every zone would be the most faithful to the original, and be simple 'arrangement' tracks. Second act music would be handled by Jun Senoue, providing songs like his remake of Sonic 3's first level (as featured in 'True Blue' and 'Smash Bros Brawl'. Third act music would have an orchestral flair and be done by the same people that did Sonci 2006 and Unleashed's soundtrack. Boss music tracks would alternate between these three styles.

There'd be multiple paths, collectable extras hidden throughout the levels, and Chaos Emeralds to retrieve via Warp Ring. Time attack mode would vastly increase the length of the game for purists, and the option to unlock and play as Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow would please those who don't just want to play as Sonic (and add even more hours to the playtime). It would be for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, with no horrible attempt at a Wii port.

---End of Idea---

Alright, now you can tear it all to hell. But at least I finally got that shit out of my system. Hopefully, SEGA will just concentrate on making good gameplay first when it comes to the next Sonic game.

I can totally imagine that. MAYBE even a younger version of Sonic as well. (Come on, there's NO WAY all these games can take place in the same year.)

(I was acctually drawing the First Fight from Sonic 1 and thought about a remake of this. {although, I DID think of dialouge. but not a lot.})

I'm hoping SEGA will come up with a new game idea,

Sonic Genesis (Not to be confused with the GBA title): A 3D remake of Sonic's first adventure.

Sounds like you don't want them to come up with a new game idea, and instead just shit out copies of games they've already made.

Sounds like you don't want them to come up with a new game idea, and instead just shit out copies of games they've already made.

Hey, I'm not SEGA; I don't pretend to know the next path Sonic should take. All I've suggested is a game that I think would please the most Sonic fans. I didn't say I wanted the whole series to become like Sonic Genesis, just that it'd be a good experiment that I (quite frankley) can't see going wrong.

Anyways, I just thought it was funny how you said 'shit out copies of games they've already made', because I'd just said I needed to 'get that shit out of my system'. I don't know if you were intentionally referencing that comment or not, but it still made me laugh once I thought about it.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

I'd like to see a new sonic with a cool trend. SA2 & Sonic Rush had this. Even Riders to a degree (if it weren't for its forced childish humor)

Like a cool, new style. Big city lights. Electronic vocals, nu-jazz, deep house music. Stylish graphics. Something new. Something to hype all kinds of people when they look at it in magazines. Even people who aren't sonic freaks. This green hill, classic stuff sound too boring for me nowadays.

I agree that dark & childish shouldn't be forced. They need to find a good balance.

Well I think for a 20th ANNIVERSARY game, a remake of Sonic 1 would be great.

I'd like to see a new sonic with a cool trend. SA2 & Sonic Rush had this. Even Riders to a degree (if it weren't for its forced childish humor)

Like a cool, new style. Big city lights. Electronic vocals, nu-jazz, deep house music. Stylish graphics. Something new. Something to hype all kinds of people when they look at it in magazines. Even people who aren't sonic freaks.

This idea sounds pretty cool to me. Something inside me says that the majority of Sonic fans wouldn't care for this movement, however. But one thing the Sonic games of the current day do not have is style, to be certain. When I think of your idea, I think of the nightime city level in Sonic Riders: Zero gravity, but with an edgier artstyle and an increase lighting dynamic.

Concerning the story. I think it's important to separate cartoony from slapstick and "emo" drama from seriousness. Sonic can be a bit of both. I like serious in a way. The ending of Sonic 2 with Tails getting in the Tornado had a bit of drama to it. The Death Egg is seriously awesome, but at the same time it's an egg after Eggman's style, which is a little bit funny. Or last year when we saw the opening of Sonic Unleashed, did anyone think it wasn't cartoony enough? It was awesome because it was a bit serious, like the opening of Sonic CD. Saving the world is serious business.

But then I don't mind the series being funny. Tails' disbelief when Sonic isn't listening to him all throughout SA1 was pretty funny. Or the Werehog face-planting into the ground after falling from space. It's cartoony, this stuff can happen in Sonic's world without being out of place. Childish characters like Chip aren't bad either. That's just Chip's personality. Seriousness only becomes a problem when the story forces it. Shadow's angst was laughable because it was poorly written and overdone. I think the story can be allowed to take serious turns, as long as a Sonic style attitude is applied to it.

Oh, the world is about to explode? Sounds like fun, let's get going! Instead of building up some artificial excitement by talking about teamwork or getting emotionally involved with some princess we just met. Come on.

Anyone seen Cowboy Bebop? That show is pretty funny at parts, like that bounty hunter show they watch, or the dog, or Ed the hacker kid, or just interactions between characters. Entire episodes are devoted to comedy like the one with the thing in the fridge, or the one where they trip out on psychedelic mushrooms. Very funny episode, by the way.

But they know how to pick up the seriousness in a single episode without breaking continuity and flow. The storyline episodes are some of the best in the series. I'm not saying Sonic should be anything like Cowboy Bebop but an understanding of this kind of story flow would help. Maybe if Sega insists on having involved stories they should get some of the people responsible for the stories in other mediums, like comic, manga, and show writers? It doesn't make sense to do that for everything except the games.

Edited by Badnikz

I too would like to see a greater balance of serious and comedic momments. I'm actually one of the few who enjoyed Sonic '06's plot, but it could have definatly benefitted from some jokes. I'd much rather have Sonic Riders style humor (which made me laugh out loud at times) than Chip's... non-humor.

I liked how both Shadow the Hedgehog and the two storybook games got Sonic's personality down pretty well. He's hyperactive, and doesn't take the situation too seriously most of the time. Only thing he was missing was a sense of 'cool', which is an outdated concept now, anyways. Seriously, no one can agree on what is 'cool'. I thought SatAM had a pretty good idea when they made Sonic think he was cool, but everyone else (except Tails) realised how lame he was actually being. It added some good humor to the series, much better than Antoine's antics.

Sonic should be the type of character who doesn't care whether he looks cool or not. Trying to be cool actually ruins him - SatAM notwithstanding, since everybody else thought that Sonic was pretty lame. I mean look at Sonic CD, Sonic does incredible stunts and I'll bet you he probably doesn't even remember doing them half a minute later. Badass.

Edited by Jake

... I don't have anything to expect from SEGA. Nothing that I want can't be fullfilled by the fans.

And I'm a bit too much of a pessimist to believe this time it'll be right... so it's high time somebody ends the pessimism.

Anyway, I'd love to see more personality of the characters. Something of the kind, Sonic jumps through a futuristic city in a CD-esque way to stop for a chilli dog, then suddenly he's catched by Amy and immediately switches from a badass type to an embarassed victim of psychical molestation ^o^ Or from a different point of view, Amy is working in a cafe where everybody comments on how she's perfect - sweet, kind, calm and yet hardworking, until Sonic accidentally comes in.... I've got countless stories of this kind in my mind >w< I basically anime-ize the series. \-+-/ *energy drained*

My last post was a little rambling.

For Sonic's 20th, I absolutely do NOT want a relaunch of the series. Adventure was a relaunch with the 3D debut and the new character style. Heroes felt like a relaunch just because of the change in attitude and gameplay, plus the first cross-platform Sonic game. '06 got stupid with the relaunch by trying to make it more real than it ever was. What we have now with Unleashed is a major change in gameplay and style, which many people consider to be a good thing. If Sega is even thinking that they need another something that could be called a relaunch, just because of the number 20, they need to throw that idea away.

Reading your post i thought that pretty much EVERY Sonic game was a relaunch.. So i think i don't care if they are going to bring something new to the series. I just want them to bring back Sa style(i BEG you, sonicteam, remove these ugly unleashed humans). I'm sorry everybody)) It looks like i'm thinking about them too much..

Oh, yes! Bring back sonic's world zones, i'm tired of the copies of the real world locations. But adabat was pure awesome anyway)))

Edited by ArtFenix

Well.. I am actually excited and afraid to see what comes from Sonic Team for Sonic's 20th Birthday. It could pretty much be a build up from Unleashed ( the speed levels) or it could be an entirely new game with a different gimmick, but instead of being reasonable like the Wearhog, it's more likely to be bad... as in really bad... and that's exactly what I'm afraid of.

After playing Unleashed I know Sonic Team has gifted people working there, but they seem to be overpowered by the ones that have no idea of what a game actually is. No one, be they new generation sonic fans who want new and fresh ideas, or classic fans who wanna keep it simple and "classic" (meh too tired to think and English is not my main language -_-) wants to play a stupid gimmick that feels broken, badly executed and has nothing to do with the series. Because of this ( the gifted people and weird gimmicks) they are capable of the best and worst a Sonic fan can expect.

Now, here comes what I want Sonic Team to do for Sonic's 20th Birthday:

All I really want is game. About Sonic. With awesome speed levels like the ones in Unleashed, with a good mix of decent and smart platforming ( not that constant fail jump/quick time event/whatever die crap!! I want a challenging level, not a level that fucks me over time and time again -_-) and maybe, JUST maybe two or three extra characters that DON'T need to played during the story mode, but CAN be played in any level in a replay mode. If Sonic Team manages to execute in a fairly decent way what I said until the word "Unleashed" I'll be a happy guy. If they actually manage to do everything without screwing it up I'll be a VERY happy Sonic fan.

I reckon this is fairly simple game to do ( I'm only focusing on gameplay here, because with the exception of Sonic 06 I think that the plots are usually good) but it's only my OPINION. It probably need's more stuff to it, but these are the core elements I think they should focuse on. Speed, platforming and smart/good level design.

But I also remembered another thing. I've had this idea for quite a while and I would love to see it come true but I kind of know that I won't ever be (fully) done. How about a special edition of Sonic *insert tittle for his 20th birthday game*? And here's what I think it could and should feature:

1- DVD containing interviews with the directors of several Sonic games ( from the 2D era and the 3D era if possible)

2- Loads and loads of artwork ( again from the 2D era to the 3D era)

3- Figurine ( maybe)

4- 2 CD's ( one with the soundtrack of the game and another with all the most famous songs from the previous games)

5- And finally, what I hope the most but know it shall never be done, an HD remake of Sonic Adventure.

And yes I know this special edition would be VERY expensive :P but it's not everyday a franchise turns 20 right?

Feel free to use and further elaborate any of this ideas if you wish to do so.

I don't care at all, as long as it has Tails, Knux, and Blaze *PLAYABLE* i'd be happy. Unfortuantly, too many people want Sonic-only again it seems *Or Sonic & Knuckles 2* So anything else would bother them too much. I wish Sonic fans were easier to please...

I don't care at all, as long as it has Tails, Knux, and Blaze *PLAYABLE* i'd be happy. Unfortuantly, too many people want Sonic-only again it seems *Or Sonic & Knuckles 2* So anything else would bother them too much. I wish Sonic fans were easier to please...

I don't mind having extra characters, as long as I'm not forced to play them to beat the damn game. Why you may ask? It's not because I don't like them ( TAILS AND KNUCKLES ROCK 4LIFE :lol: ) but after Adventure 2, their specific gameplay has been so bad it became horrible to play them. That's the only problem I have with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, that Sonic Genesis idea sounds AWESOME! I actually hope they do it, it'd make me really happy and make me all nostalgic and tearful.

A personal idea of mine:

- A Sonic origin story referencing and FINALLY expanding on the murals in Hidden Palace Zone and in the Lost World stage in SA. I mean, c'mon! What's so bad about a game giving huge backstory about how Sonic is a child of prophecy? Kinda like Jesus almost....

- Chao gardens. I miss them. A lot.

- On the subject of an origin story, it'd also be nice if we could get a decent backstory on how the Emeralds were created, who made them, why they were made, you know? SA had a nice try on it, but their origins are still more of a mystery than Sonic's (hey, maybe they even coincide somehow?).

- Adventure stages were awesome. I also liked the missions in SA2, so a comeback of those as well as an expansion on the concept would be nice.

And another comment on that Sonic Genesis idea, they should make a 3D Hidden Palace Zone in that game. Considering it was cut out of the original.

Sure, let's explain the chaos emeralds. And while we're at it, let's also explain how that wardrobe can serve as a portal to Narnia, and why Tails's tails don't bind up when he spins them. Oh, and it was a great idea to explain how the force works, it almost made it like the power levels from Dragon Ball Z!