Awoo.

About Sonic's 20th

Machenstein

Kay, Phos, I'm sorry that you think you're so important that you have nothing serious to say about someone's OPINION.

All I was saying is that it'd be nice to have some depth to those concepts. Maybe I'm just more of a creative genius than you, but I can really see some great story concepts that Sega could utilize for a game if they just took some time to think it out.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• Kirvee

• SuperStingray

• ArtFenix

I have nothing serious to say? Apparenty you aren't familiar with Reducto Ad Absudum.

You're trying to explain something that's more effective as a story element when left unexplained.

Actually I would also like to know more about the chaos emeralds, and the murals (although the SA one is kinda self explanatory aka shows image of perfect Chaos against the echidna civilization).

The emeralds are the almighty power of the Sonic Universe, and why shouldn't we know more about them? Who made them? Why are they so powerful? How are the chao and Chaos related to them? I personally would like to know all of that.

If you don't, fine. But you don't need to bash someone's opinion. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Edited by Brigado

Thank you, Brigado.

To add to your questions, it'd also be worth explaining why FOUR other furries who aren't Guardians nor are echidnas can use the power contained within the Emeralds without any help from a machine. It makes one wonder about the nature and origin of Chaos Energy.

I'd say that some more refined gameplay mechanics to Sonic would be interesting, but I'd be afraid to see what Sonic Team might tamper with. It certainly seems the less they listen to the fanbase, the better off they are...

Still, Sonic with more fluid movement (Sonic CD's cutscenes as gameplay) or even some wild new moves (The Spin Dash now works like a slingshot? Instead of a homing attack, a homing radius that shoots his spikes out and hits all enemies within the radius? A Spin move that tunnels him through certain terrain when targeted?)....I can't help but think it'd be interesting.

Yet...they really need to stop experimenting, buckle down with a set style and gameplay, THEN innovate from there, rather than so many "What if we do/add ____ gimmick?"

As far as plot, explaining the Chaos Emeralds would be neat, yet, haven't they been "explained" dozens of times? First, they're random gems Eggman wants. Then, they belong on Angel Island, accompanying the Master Emerald. Suddenly, they can be split into negative and positive power! Now, we can use them to warp! Travel through time! Wait, now there's these seven, convenient temples that ignore Angel Island canon and put them as keys to lock an ancient dragon!

Perhaps...leaving them alone altogether for a while (save bonus content for turning Super Sonic) WOULD be a good idea...sure, explaining them would be awesome, but it'd only be awesome if it was done right, which is an entire matter of opinion, anyways. :/

As far as plot, explaining the Chaos Emeralds would be neat, yet, haven't they been "explained" dozens of times? First, they're random gems Eggman wants. Then , theybelong on Angel Island, accompanying the Master Emerald. Suddenly, they can be split into negative and positive power! Now, we can use them to warp! Travel through time! Wait, now there's these seven, convenient temples that ignore Angel Island canon and put them as keys to lock an ancient dragon!

Perhaps...leaving them alone altogether for a while (save bonus content for turning Super Sonic) WOULD be a good idea...sure, explaining them would be awesome, but it'd only be awesome if it was done right, which is an entire matter of opinion, anyways. :/

But that's exactly it! In all of those situations they were never explained!! "Random gems that Eggman wants" Does this explain what they are? Not really. "they belong on Angel Island, accompanying the Master Emerald." again doesn't explain what they are, or why they should be there. "Suddenly, they can be split into negative and positive power" This just tells you another thing they can do, not what they are. " Now, we can use them to warp! Travel through time!" more functions of the emeralds. "Wait, now there's these seven, convenient temples that ignore Angel Island canon and put them as keys to lock an ancient dragon!" and strangely this adds up to the whole mistery! xD

And of course, you still have to answer the question: where did they come from?

So, no, I don't think they have been explained, just used in various situations.

Edited by Brigado

But that's exactly it! In all of those situations they were never explained!! "Random gems that Eggman wants" Does this explain what they are? Not really. "they belong on Angel Island, accompanying the Master Emerald." again doesn't explain what they are, or why they should be there. "Suddenly, they can be split into negative and positive power" This just tells you another thing they can do, not what they are. " Now, we can use them to warp! Travel through time!" more functions of the emeralds. "Wait, now there's these seven, convenient temples that ignore Angel Island canon and put them as keys to lock an ancient dragon!" and strangely this adds up to the whole mistery! xD

And of course, you still have to answer the question: where did they come from?

So, no, I don't think they have been explained, just used in various situations.

Hmm, I see your point. Still, they're so powerful, how could you really explain their origins? Sonic Team isn't the best with keeping their own canon (and if they do, it gets a bit messy), so I'd be afraid of them doing ANYTHING to explain the story. The closest thing to explaining the origin of ANYTHING would be Shadow, and we all know what a mess that turned out...:/

Hmm, I see your point. Still, they're so powerful, how could you really explain their origins? Sonic Team isn't the best with keeping their own canon (and if they do, it gets a bit messy), so I'd be afraid of them doing ANYTHING to explain the story. The closest thing to explaining the origin of ANYTHING would be Shadow, and we all know what a mess that turned out...:/

Unfortunately for us that is quite true. Which is sad really.. a company that can't even back up the story they created.. oh well..

I swear, if I wasn't so dedicated to wanting to work with Namco to learn the art of RPGs, I'd go work for Sega after I get my Game Design degree and be a new pool of ideas. Maybe if I was extremely lucky I'd be able to lead production of a new game. But I don't think that's gonna happen, be nice if it did though.

@Ruffles:

There's many ways you can explain their origins. The most likely one would be that they were created by a god/gods.

I really wanna know why a select few other characters other than Knuckles can feel and use the power of the Emeralds. IMO, for Sonic, it ties in with my theory that he's a child of prophecy.

There's many ways you can explain their origins. The most likely one would be that they were created by a god/gods.

I really wanna know why a select few other characters other than Knuckles can feel and use the power of the Emeralds. IMO, for Sonic, it ties in with my theory that he's a child of prophecy.

They could pull an Mother/Earthbound and have the emeralds as the holders of all the Earth's powers, each one representing a section of the planet, and they are meant to come together whenever the world is in danger. The few characters who are able to harness their power could be part of the prophecy, for when it is time for the emeralds to come together, those few foretold who are able to harness the Earth's powers will band together to retrieve the emeralds to drive away the evil again.

You realize that giving them an origin makes them finite, right? I find them much more interesting as some kind of interdenominational force of nature. Besides, whatever they come up with, it's not going to live up to your expectations. Remember, this is Sonic Team we're talking about, the people in charge there seem to have no capacity to tell a good idea from a bad one.

I mean, think about it. Even if we did try something, what would "we" say?

If I could choose...

"Nothing too new! Please! Just build on Unleashed!

They could pull an Mother/Earthbound and have the emeralds as the holders of all the Earth's powers, each one representing a section of the planet, and they are meant to come together whenever the world is in danger. The few characters who are able to harness their power could be part of the prophecy, for when it is time for the emeralds to come together, those few foretold who are able to harness the Earth's powers will band together to retrieve the emeralds to drive away the evil again.

Captain planet. (sorta)

Edited by Chaos Walker

With all this argument about what Sega should do for a Sonic game and shouldn't, I think we've forgotten the biggest point of all: It doesn't matter if Sega does one thing over another; so long as we have fun playing the game that they DO come out with, then there is no real reason to be upset.

Then again, I am being a bit simple-minded on that point...

@Virgo: Meh...maybe....I actually like the idea of the Emeralds representing elements in nature and each one having its own god or goddess.

@Phos: I theorized pre-game plotlines for 06 and Unleashed that were both preferred by other people over what actually came out in the games. Believe me, I know they'll never reach anyone's expectations. But it doesn't hurt to speculate and wonder what would happen if they did. It's all in the fun :-). If you dislike speculation and deep plot thinking, then why are you on a forum?

It makes one wonder about the nature and origin of Chaos Energy.
They've already explained a fair bit about it. SA gave us the "thoughts into power" line and the idea of positive and negative power based on the emotions used. The idea was continued in ShtH with the Hero/Dark meters filling based on whether your actions are heroic or villainous. Rush has Blaze unable to use her emeralds until she's able to open up to people and get in touch with her emotions. And Unleashed brought it up to a global scale; the power of the Gaias (and quite possibly their physical being as well) is the same as the energy of the emeralds; negative energy creates the werehog and jumpstarts Dark Gaia, the day/night cycle and the ebb and flow of Dark Gaia's power influences peoples' emotions, Light Gaia becomes more powerful as the emeralds are restored, and Sonic is cured when Dark Gaia sucks out that negative energy, that last missing piece of itself.

My own interpretation, going with the above, it may be because of Sonic's unbreakable spirit. He's always been a character who refuses to compromise his beliefs, even being able to fight off the mental effects of Dark Gaia's power despite getting such a huge dose as to physically change his body without even realizing he's doing it. And since the emeralds are all about the user's spirit, Sonic's got an advantage over the majority of the planet even without prophecies and such.

Knuckles, as you said, is the guardian and has been around the emeralds for presumably his entire life, Tails' use may not be canon and even if it is it could be explained by needing the Super Emeralds, Shadow is specifically designed to be able to use the emeralds, Blaze is apparently Sonic's parallel universe double and also can be assumed to have spent quite a bit of time around her emeralds, and Silver...

...okay, I got nothin'.

@Dio: Wait, they DID make use of a dark mental entity in Unleashed that was brought on by Sonic's transformation into the werehog? A piece of my theory was correct?! W00t! Wait...it was part of Dark Gaia? Ah, my theory didn't go quite like that...meh.

You have a nice point with the spirit thing, but I think the prophecy idea sounds more appealing (different tastes I guess). And the fact that Silver can go Super can actually be explained if you factor in the idea/theory that he's a decendant of one of the three official hedgehogs (most probably Shadow).

The real mystery in the Sonic universe isn't the Chaos Emeralds, it's the rings. They are the most vital items in the games and yet we know NOTHING about them. Were do they come from? Why and how do they give the person that picks them up extra stamina? Why are they just lying around everywhere?

The real mystery in the Sonic universe isn't the Chaos Emeralds, it's the rings. They are the most vital items in the games and yet we know NOTHING about them. Were do they come from? Why and how do they give the person that picks them up extra stamina? Why are they just lying around everywhere?

..... that is a mystery.

as far as Sonic X goes, Sonic can do a spindash with one. And in the Sonic X Comics he can also fly. (Issue 9) :lol:

____

.......what I wanna know is how Amy flew in Issue 9 of the Sonic X Comics... :blink:

... Didn't we come to the conclusion it was a haox?

*looks*

*finds nothing*

........ Damnit, Sanic! Did you just SonicRoll us!? >.>

I saw the topic Sanic made about it. No link proof other than Wikipedia so until a solid piece of evidence comes up, speculation will abound.

And whoever suggested it,

OMG the rings really ARE the main mystery, good call! They're supposed to be like currency, like the coins in Mario's world, but as for restoring stamina....I got nothing.

I saw the topic Sanic made about it. No link proof other than Wikipedia so until a solid piece of evidence comes up, speculation will abound.

And whoever suggested it,

OMG the rings really ARE the main mystery, good call! They're supposed to be like currency, like the coins in Mario's world, but as for restoring stamina....I got nothing.

You're overanalizing it. They've been used as currency because they were an obvious choice and they restorering energy in Unleashed because Hashimoto wanted rings to be used forsomething other than keeping you alive.

@Dio: Wait, they DID make use of a dark mental entity in Unleashed that was brought on by Sonic's transformation into the werehog? A piece of my theory was correct?! W00t! Wait...it was part of Dark Gaia? Ah, my theory didn't go quite like that...meh.
Well, yes and no. At night, some of the NPCs get depressed/angry/unruly when they're normally nice, upbeat people during the day. It turns out that the change in personality is due to Dark Gaia's influence, in some cases the people are actually possessed by Dark Gaia's monsters and you have to fight the monsters to help the NPCs. But Sonic's personality doesn't change; he doesn't get possessed, he doesn't get depressed or angry any more than normal, even in spite of being full of dark energy. There's never any "dark mental entity" in Sonic's case because he's too strong-willed for Dark Gaia's power to affect him like that.

You have a nice point with the spirit thing, but I think the prophecy idea sounds more appealing (different tastes I guess).
Just remember that what you want isn't necessarily what is true.

Sounds like you don't want them to come up with a new game idea, and instead just shit out copies of games they've already made.

And yet, it sounds like a brilliant idea. No need to bash it.

Do we really want an explanation to random things that practically need no explanation? If you ask Sonic Team to tell us why there are rings in Sonic's world, we might as well be asking for another Sonic 06, honestly. :P

Sonic Rage is the next main Sonic title, Look it up.

Shut up.