Awoo.

About Sonic's 20th

Machenstein

@Dio: Ah, I see. My pre-game theory for it had it that the blast of concentrated negative energy from Eggman's machine caused a split in Sonic's mind that made him the one we've always known, and an evil, more animalistic him that turned into the werehog. Somewhat like Ichigo and his inner Hollow in Bleach, except just a bit different. I personally thought it'd make a nice plot device, but meh. I like the way Unleashed came out with or without the nice plot device. Can't say the same for 06, though.

And I know that. I learned that when 06 came out. Almost everyone who read my theory for THAT game's story came back later and told me that my theory was many times a better story than what actually came out of the game.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• Kirvee

• SuperStingray

• ArtFenix

and Silver...

...okay, I got nothin'.

Technology has advanced so much (over next 200) years that the people of that time have been able to understand how to harness the power of the emeralds with little to no difficulty. Silver just so happens to be one of those individuals. :P

To be honest, I'd just like a game(doesn't have to be a platformer, could be party game, fighter, RPG etc) which celebrates and looks back at the last 20 years of Sonic. Sonic Adventure 2 (while I like) and Sonic 06 don't do this. It just be nice to have a look back at the different games, media (cartoons. comics etc) in someway at least have them referenced or something. And have it intergrated someway in the anniversary game. Even if the game isn't that good, I'd rather have it celebrating Sonic 20th then paying no attention to it at all.

I still think a 3d remake of Sonic 1 (maybe Sonic 2-Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and MAYBE Sonic CD) would be the best way to celebrate... PACKED WITH T-SHIRTS, DVDs, INTERVIEWS, ARTWORK, FIGURES, AND LOADS OF OTHER STUFF.

Seriously. Yeah, I know, a 3d remake won't "Save" Sonic, but... come on! It's not everyday a franchise turns 20! Just let loose and celebrate!

@Phos: I theorized pre-game plotlines for 06 and Unleashed that were both preferred by other people over what actually came out in the games.

So?

Believe me, I know they'll never reach anyone's expectations. But it doesn't hurt to speculate and wonder what would happen if they did. It's all in the fun :-). If you dislike speculation and deep plot thinking, then why are you on a forum?

I like discussing the nuances of Sonic, my introduction to the scene was actually Sonic Retro, which focuses more on research and hacking.

You're overanalizing it. They've been used as currency because they were an obvious choice and they restorering energy in Unleashed because Hashimoto wanted rings to be used forsomething other than keeping you alive.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain their place in the plot.

And also, it wasn't just Unleashed, it was also in the other Adventure games. Oh, and in Chronicles.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain their place in the plot.
"Place in the plot"? What the heck are you trying to get at? Nobody tries to explain why coins and mushrooms are hidden in question mark boxes or why ruppees are hidden in grass and inside living things - they're generic collectables and currency, not much more. It simply exists for the sake of the player and nobody needs to know anything more than that - it's absurd that you even expect a plot reason for their existence in the first place.

The funny thing is is that I can really imagine Sonic Team, of all people, trying to pull out half-assed explanations about little details like rings in a future game. That kind of thing is totally Sonic Team.

Edited by Jake

Rings can not, and should not be explained. A currency that can be picked up from the ground in abundance is an absurd concept commonly used in videogames. It's just a way for the character to get money while adventuring without having to get a job.

"Place in the plot"? What the heck are you trying to get at? Nobody tries to explain why coins and mushrooms are hidden in question mark boxes or why ruppees are hidden in grass and inside living things - they're generic collectables and currency, not much more. It simply exists for the sake of the player and nobody needs to know anything more than that - it's absurd that you even expect a plot reason for their existence in the first place.

Oh, I'm not expecting an explanation, I'm just clarifying what batson was saying. But, yeah, I agree with that.

Even if the rings are better off not being explained (we can still joke about what a mystery they are, can't we?), I still think we deserve at least some kind of explination for the Emerald's origins.

Sometimes learning the origin of something can really ruin it though. Take Shadow The Hedgehog for example. His origin/backstory was such a load of crapped out shit that I would rather haver never known it.

Edited by speedfreak

Sometimes learning the origin of something can really ruin it though. Take Shadow The Hedgehog for example. His origin/backstory was such a load of crapped out shit that I would rather haver never known it.

Aliens was such a cliched cop out... and if every 50 years the comet comes back around why the fuck did it arrive so damn late... Yeah they ruined his backstory, I would've settled for "He was created in a lab... and has chaotic powers, he get's his speed from rocket powered shoes that were nailed into his puny feet... his power comes from the emeralds infused within him by Gerald Robotnik, he had relations with a girl named Maria, or was it Shirley? He's Shadow the fucking Hedgehog and this time he has a gun because Chaotic energy spears are lame and guns are more mature and reach the peak of badassery, join him as he defends Shirley and fights for his rights to be... a bunny rabbit with a black belt in Taekwondo"

Edited by silencer226

@Silencer: lol, nice.

@Speed:

Well, Shadow's horrific backstory was mostly the result of bad writers and horrible ideas. Sega can probably fix their games if they fire the shitty writers and hire good and new ones.

I would really like to see a 3D remake of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and maybe Sonic & Knuckles too. A Sonic game MUST be celebrated this way, and not with a glitchy handheld game like his 15th! I don't want his 20th to be a failure either, like his 15th. Terrible year that was. -__-

Which reminds me..what did Nintendo do for Mario's 20th?

@Gabz: Yes, his 20th should be celebrated that way if they decide to not go with a new game concept.

I don't know what Mario got for his 20th, but I think Sonic's 20th game should have updated versions of the level songs from the old games. Mario's been using the same underground theme and main game theme since his first game, they've both just been remixed to fit the current game. Why can't SEGA do something like that?

I don't think Mario had any specific games released for his 20th, but there was a shitload of Merch released, including this...

20th-anniversary-game-boy-micro-20051202045851843-000.jpg

^Lol, who honestly even bought the micro?

*>_> <_< >_>*

*Backs away quietly*

Edited by Inferno

Since we're on the subject, what exactly does the Micro do, besides give people eye strains from the tiny screen?

Since we're on the subject, what exactly does the Micro do, besides give people eye strains from the tiny screen?

Well it's extremely portable for one, but other than that, it doesn't really have any "extra" special features.

Though you may be surprised to know that the screen doesn't strain you're eyes, as the screen is the same resolution as the other GBA models, just with megapixels.

The micro is one of those systems that came and went and left people wondering "Wtf was that?".

I don't think it even got but five or ten games made for it, if it even got that. At least there weren't any Sonic games made for it. That I know of, at least.

What I find funny is that while it retains some of the functionality of the SP, it can't play GB and GBC games. And what's more, it cost $100 at launch. $20 more than the SP, which got a price cut to $80 in 2004. And not to mention it was released a year after the DS came out, which actually had new games for it and had as much functionality as the Micro, maybe even more.

I feel sorry for whoever seriously bought this.

Admiteddly, the thought briefly crossed my mind that maybe I could get it, but then after seriously thinking about it I thought 'Nah, not a good investment.' and then it dropped off the face of the Earth, XD. Kinda like the N-Gage. One day it was there, the next no one ever heard of it, lol.

Technology has advanced so much (over next 200) years that the people of that time have been able to understand how to harness the power of the emeralds with little to no difficulty. Silver just so happens to be one of those individuals. :P

To be honest, I'd just like a game(doesn't have to be a platformer, could be party game, fighter, RPG etc) which celebrates and looks back at the last 20 years of Sonic. Sonic Adventure 2 (while I like) and Sonic 06 don't do this. It just be nice to have a look back at the different games, media (cartoons. comics etc) in someway at least have them referenced or something. And have it intergrated someway in the anniversary game. Even if the game isn't that good, I'd rather have it celebrating Sonic 20th then paying no attention to it at all.

What I think needs to be done for Sonic's 20th, first off; an actual reference book that reflects back on all the older versions and concepts and establishes the newer ones. This would be PERFECT to introduce new fans into the games. It would also help the current fans know and reminisce the older shows, the movie, the comics. Transformers has an Ultimate Reference book, why not Sonic? Sure there's Wiki, but wouldn't it be nice to have something official on paper? It would be good reading for newbs who haven't seen or heard of the older cartoons and let them (and fans like me) know more about the Archie comics and there continuity weirdness. More importantly, we could have explainations on just the origins of the official video game continuity. Like are they on an alternate Earth as in Sonic X or is it Earth with anthropormorphs. The main cast should get pages and biographies all to themselves. We could have basic episode guides, know ALL the video games released, and get a little insight on released products.

It CAN happen. It SHOULD happen. It WILL happen. Why not 2011? And here's the juicy part, even though it'd take a little coordination between Sega in the states and Japan, they could establish enough history so the fans and newbs alike could get into the video game released in 2011. Now THAT has potential. Someone should recommend this to Sega if it's agreed upon to sound like a fun concept.