Awoo.

Bid For Greatness, Use your trophies to win real prizes

Badnik Mechanic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_JuBpS3Do

Bid for greatness is Sony's new idea which sounds absolutely fantastic on paper. The idea is, every gold trophy you own is worth 1 ticket. You can then use those tickets to bid on exclusive unlockable content for various games and potentially real world items.

The system is live right now and anyone with a US PSN account can enter...

Sounds great eh?

Except theres one... quite serious problem which renders this and ANY other trophy or achivement reward system close to absolutely pointless.

I'm considered to have a high trophy level, as of right now I have 504 gold trophies. The first person to win, did so with a bid of over 700.

However thats not the problem... know what was the problem? He's a custom firmware user.

Thats right my friends. The first "winner" is a cheat. How do we know this? Trophy tracking sites, they show that this dude definately cheated, theres no way he didn't... unless it's now possible to complete ni no kuni in an hour? And get over 500 platinum trophies in a week?

It's just, such a great idea but put together so poorly. A bid system even if there was no CFW users doesn't work. It eliminates so many users who have been loyal and have a decent trophy level. For instance instead of an auction house, have a shop, have either limited or unlimited items and then it's available to everybody who reaches a said rank?

Anyway, what do people think? More details over at the PS blog. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/16/bid-for-greatness-opens-own-a-piece-of-playstation-history/

Well, if they can ever do something to make sure cheaters aren't ruining it then yeah, this is a fantastic idea! The only problem is that this seems to exclude those of us who probably don't have golden trophies spurting from our asses. But this gives me hope that they could implement a more typical store-like feature where trophies are treated like currency. There's several ways they could handle it from there.

Maybe each color of trophy could have its own section, where bronze trophies earn you smaller things like dashboard themes or avatars, and have the items get fancier with the higher-tier trophies (platinum trophies could earn you sponsored-DLC or something, perhaps?). Or if they wanted to get really fancy, treat the trophies like an actual monetary system like, as an example: 20 bronze trophies= 1 silver, 20 silvers= 1 gold, etc.

This is all just wishful thinking on my end but I love the idea of having something to actually DO with all my trophies/achievements.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would love to bank in on this Bid, but I only have 53 gold trophies :(

Still like the idea; wonder if they are going to do this type of thing in the future for other things like PSN Credit, prizes, and other cool stuff (kinda like how you use the games you get on the Wii U/3ds to get Club Nintendo points and get prizes with using said points). 

I'm not a PS owner, but what Helen's when you use your trophy? There is only really a finite amount of games and therefore trophies, does the trophy count as "used" and therefore you can't use it again? Or do they roll over from competition to competition?

There is only really a finite amount of games and therefore trophies,

This isn't even an issue at all. Games are constantly being made, trophies are on both PS3, Vita and you can bet the PS4 will have them, gold trophies will always be put onto lists.

does the trophy count as "used" and therefore you can't use it again? Or do they roll over from competition to competition?

Once it's used, it's used... but thats only if you win the auction.

Well, if they can ever do something to make sure cheaters aren't ruining it then yeah, this is a fantastic idea! The only problem is that this seems to exclude those of us who probably don't have golden trophies spurting from our asses. But this gives me hope that they could implement a more typical store-like feature where trophies are treated like currency. There's several ways they could handle it from there.

Maybe each color of trophy could have its own section, where bronze trophies earn you smaller things like dashboard themes or avatars, and have the items get fancier with the higher-tier trophies (platinum trophies could earn you sponsored-DLC or something, perhaps?). Or if they wanted to get really fancy, treat the trophies like an actual monetary system like, as an example: 20 bronze trophies= 1 silver, 20 silvers= 1 gold, etc.

This is all just wishful thinking on my end but I love the idea of having something to actually DO with all my trophies/achievements.

Gotta say, i'm liking this idea about a hundred times more than the auction system. It's much fairer. The auctions will snub out the chances of anyone who only games occasionally.

Like me, I play a lot but I don't have a lot of gold trophies so I'd be pretty much useless in any of these auctions. Making it a seperate store makes it a little more like Disney movie rewards or the nintendo club. ore like a loyalty scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1