Awoo.

Worst Sonic soundtrack?

AlphaRuby

My least favorite is Sonic Rush's soundtrack. I never knew it was possible to make bad Sonic music, but I found out that it is. I wouldn't mind much, but considering the franchise we're talking about and how it's heralded for its kickassic music, this is disappointing. Even the Sonic 4 soundtrack, with its godawfully synthesized melodies, was more slick than Rush's empty MIDI crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Really?

REALLY?! Look.

You can dislike a soundtrack.

I don't mind.

You can think a soundtrack is bad.

I won't care.

You can think a soundtrack is downright horrible.

You've gone too far.

I know music is just all about tastes. I know some people will dislike what some people like.

But calling it bad, as in compositionally, technically and executionally flawed... I've probably said this a million times, and I'll beat this dead horse one last time, and I'll be out of discussions like this for good, honest.

Think about the effort put into it. How much work do you think it'd take to take a song, isolate the vocals, take a snippet and make a song around that? How much work do you think it would take to write a song? How much work do you think it would take to make music?

Not much? Well, that's what Sonic Chronicles thought.

Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by Can of Nothing
  • Thumbs Up 7

Actually, I wouldn't go out to say that he's wrong for thinking Rush's soundtrack at times can be lackluster at times. Some of the loops and chord progressions are pretty simple at it's core, with just the drum beats filling up the space at times. However I don't think this is necessarily bad, it's just going for a different approach. Not technicality (though some tracks are pretty complex at times), but more over focusing on what is insanely catchy. The sound itself being low quality however is the DS's end, since a lot of games from the console are in that awkward state of "am I going for real sound or some souped up basic midi thing." I think that aspect just boils down to taste. Personally I'm not a huuuuge fan of Rush's soundtrack, but there's tracks I can appreciate, and more over I love the energy from the songs overall.

Worst Sonic soundtrack for me though? Uhhhhh...

It's honestly hard to choose since I'm hardly the one to completely dismiss music, at least trying to find some good in it. But if I had to bring it down to something, it'd probably be the Rival's soundtrack. Nothing from that game really jumped out at me and the music is really grating at times, to me anyways. Something about it over all with their music direction just rubs me the wrong way, idk. I'm sure it's other people's favorites some where out there but I guess it's just not a compatible sound with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although this game isn't out just yet I'd have to say pretty much all the songs except for two that we've heard from Sonic Lost World are pretty bland and repetitive. But of course the only official game that truly has a horrible soundtrack is Cronicles but I think many people can agree with me on that one. As for pirated games yes Sonic 3D Blast 5 for the GB has a horrible ear raping soundtrack. Finally I completely dislike the Sonic 3 Knuckles and Mini boss themes and i'm very glad they changed these tracks in S3K.

Edited by Ravenfreak

What I have heard from Sonic chronicles is pretty bad.

But what I myself think is the worst would be Shadow the hedgehog's Soundtrack, most of the music would be really bland or really annoying to listen to and really couldn't bother listening to any of it while playing. I like the vocal themes(a few of them)but that's it.

In saying, I don't generally listen to the music while I'm playing games anyway as I find it a bit distracting, but I never actually mind listening to them when I do play the games, but ShtH's soundtrack is one of the few times I'd force myself to mute the Tv and all that jazz. None of them really stood out to me, so if I don't like it I don't listen to it.

Outside of the already-stated Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Jam.com already, one (or two) of my personal least favorite soundtracks in the series has to be...well...I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...

...both of Sonic CD's soundtracks. I'm not too fond of either of them, and I have no idea why...Granted, I'm not saying that the entirety of both soundtracks is bad or anything, as there are some songs that I really like (US Wacky Workbench Present, JP Metallic Madness Good Future, US Stardust Speedway Bad Future, Wacky Workbench Past), but overall...the soundtracks just don't do it for me. It's weird, because it seems like some of the music, especially the JP soundtrack, would be right up my alley, but...a lot of the tracks just come off as kinda meh to me...

Edited by Marik Ishtar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Outside of the already-stated Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Jam.com already, one (or two) of my personal least favorite soundtracks in the series has to be...well...I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...

...both of Sonic CD's soundtracks. I'm not too fond of either of them, and I have no idea why...Granted, I'm not saying that the entirety of both soundtracks is bad or anything, as there are some songs that I really like (US Wacky Workbench Present, JP Metallic Madness Good Future, US Stardust Speedway Bad Future, Wacky Workbench Past), but overall...the soundtracks just don't do it for me. It's weird, because it seems like some of the music, especially the JP soundtrack, would be right up my alley, but...a lot of the tracks just come off as kinda meh to me...

I actually agree with this. It's strange, the songs aren't terrible and a lot of them are actually quite complex musically, but for some reason they aren't catchy. It's like they're really good improv solos instead of a song with an actual memorable melody. Compared to the other classic games at least.

Behold the music from Sonic Battle!

Im not an expert on all the sonic games, but I have listened to just about all of the music. I have say that this was one of the hardest soundtracks for me to sit through. I apologize if theres anyone who likes this soundtrack, and please realize that what I'm saying is more of a personal opinion rather than a fair critique. But the music from Sonic Battle is way too hard on the ears. They use this screeching sound throughout the whole game that is enough to make me go crazy (if I already was not crazytongue.png ). However I did like the Club Rouge song, since it was a remix of all the Rouge level music from Sonic Adventure 2. I appreciate that the person in charge of the music was trying to go for something unique, but its still not my cup of tea...

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog

My least favorite is Sonic Rush's soundtrack. I never knew it was possible to make bad Sonic music, but I found out that it is. I wouldn't mind much, but considering the franchise we're talking about and how it's heralded for its kickassic music, this is disappointing. Even the Sonic 4 soundtrack, with its godawfully synthesized melodies, was more slick than Rush's empty MIDI crap.

I used to hate Rush's soundtrack not even a year ago, but now I adore it. I used to hate it because I claimed "the vocals were scary and disturbing"...

so hey, maybe your opinion could do a complete 180 like mine did.

Either way, aside the obvious Chronicles and Jam Game.com version, my least favourite soundtrack in the series is...

06's. Yeah.

I just really don't think the tracks are that memorable at all. All I can really remember is both Wave Ocean tracks (and the random "OWIE" that kicks in like 2 minutes into The Water's Edge just utterly fucks up the whole track for me), Crisis City (for obvious reasons) and the first part of White Acropolis. The vocal tracks are pretty cool though, but that's about it.

Edited by Super Spindash

I'm going to put in Sonic R in. There are some really horrible songs in there. Living in the city, Can you feel the sunshine and so one. Only Super Sonic Racing is enjoyable. Especially if you ignore the vocals :)

Behold the music from Sonic Battle!

Im not an expert on all the sonic games, but I have listened to just about all of the music. I have say that this was one of the hardest soundtracks for me to sit through. I apologize if theres anyone who likes this soundtrack, and please realize that what I'm saying is more of a personal opinion rather than a fair critique. But the music from Sonic Battle is way too hard on the ears. They use this screeching sound throughout the whole game that is enough to make me go crazy (if I already was not crazytongue.png ). However I did like the Club Rouge song, since it was a remix of all the Rouge level music from Sonic Adventure 2. I appreciate that the person in charge of the music was trying to go for something unique, but its still not my cup of tea...

Oh gosh, how could I have forgotten about how much I dislike Sonic Battle's soundtrack?

But to be fair, most of the music is compositionally great.  It's the GBA's soundfonts and compression that ruins it.  I bet the main theme would sound amazing if it were played on a real guitar (although they overuse squeal harmonics to the point where even that's debatable), bass, and drums.  Some of the songs, such as Amy's room, sounded almost atonal and discordant, but I imagine under proper production and sound mixing conditions, it could sound better.  As is, though, the game's soundtrack comes off as kind of obnoxious.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh gosh, how could I have forgotten about how much I dislike Sonic Battle's soundtrack?

But to be fair, most of the music is compositionally great.  It's the GBA's soundfonts and compression that ruins it.  I bet the main theme would sound amazing if it were played on a real guitar (although they overuse squeal harmonics to the point where even that's debatable), bass, and drums.  Some of the songs, such as Amy's room, sounded almost atonal and discordant, but I imagine under proper production and sound mixing conditions, it could sound better.  As is, though, the game's soundtrack comes off as kind of obnoxious.

You have no idea how disappointed I felt after hearing the original version of Emerald Beach after hearing the Gens remix.

It sounds like pure garbage.

• Thumbs Up 2

You have no idea how disappointed I felt after hearing the original version of Emerald Beach after hearing the Gens remix.

It sounds like pure garbage.

While leaps and bounds better than the original, I don't think the Generations version was all that good, either. =v  But I mean, at least you can listen to that one.

Akito makes a good point. The music for Sonic Battle had potential, it was just missing something I cant put my finger on. I have a feeling that if something small was changed like Akito said before I would have liked it better. Sonic Rush had its bad moments like the weird monkey sounds in the Vela-Nova song. But it also had some good songs like Raisin me up and Wrapped in black. But thats just my personal opinion.  

I'm going to put in Sonic R in. There are some really horrible songs in there. Living in the city, Can you feel the sunshine and so one. Only Super Sonic Racing is enjoyable. Especially if you ignore the vocals smile.png

Sonic R's soundtrack is the absolute opposite in my opinion. Living in a City is a beautiful song that never fails to make me smile.

• Thumbs Up 4

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Shadow the Hedgehog Soundtrack. Crush 40's song for the game was as usual awesome. And I also liked the hard rock and techno mash up feel to the album. But there is one song on this album that I just cant stand listening to. Its the one and only song I deleted from my digital sonic library. Its the main alien bad guys theme song (I forget what his name was). The songs name has a lovely title, Almost Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj__4bJ0MAI

Ok, with this song I felt like lyrics were trying too hard to be edgy. There are other problems other than the lyrics. The sound is bad in my opinion and the froglike tone of the vocals is just hard to swallow. Theres nothing appealing about the beat and Ive never been able to sit through the whole thing. I get that the Shadow the Hedgehog game was geared towards older fans, but I dont see how this song can be appealing to anyone. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Chronicles gets the gold medal on this topic.

1. because the tracks they used for everything were MIDIs of old songs
  2. because they tried to make the MIDIs into remixes by making them worse???

offset pitch more please

Personally I'd say the Sonic 4 series gets silver for half trying to simulate 16-bit. Duck symphony

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 4. It was just annoying music that didn't seem to go anywhere, and the ones that actually had a decent tune were ruined by the annoying instruments.

Worst soundtrack hmmmm ... The only Sonic game soundtrack or part of it that I've never played in my car is Sonic Shuffle. I don't want to rule out Dark Brotherhood, the soundtrack was awesome on the promotional website

I've noticed that sometimes the Sonic music used for the promotional websites are different from the music used for the games. Like the song for the Shadow the hedgehog game called, "Who I am" which unfortunately never got on any soundtrack. Sonic Chronicles is one of the few Sonic games I have not listened to. But if its as bad as you guys are saying, then I won't bother listening to it. 

Oh... no one posted this yet?

I actually wouldn't mind parts of the tune if the instruments were better

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh... no one posted this yet?

I actually wouldn't mind parts of the tune if the instruments were better

The only thing really bad about this piece is that nerve-grating buzzy sound.  I mean, it's repetitive and it could easily be annoying after a relatively short period of time, but compositionally it's not too bad.  At least, it's not Chronicles-tier quality.

I used to think I'd get to like Sonic Rush's soundtrack eventually because some tunes sounded catchy. Then I found out they... weren't. I appreciate that it's a bold approach. I really do. It's just too bad ALL THE TUNES ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE. Not to mention you could use any song in any stage and the result would be exactly the same because they are completely detached from the ambient. That's something you do have to consider when it comes to game music.

Except Wrapped in Black. That one's great.

I used to think I'd get to like Sonic Rush's soundtrack eventually because some tunes sounded catchy. Then I found out they... weren't. I appreciate that it's a bold approach. I really do. It's just too bad ALL THE TUNES ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE. Not to mention you could use any song in any stage and the result would be exactly the same because they are completely detached from the ambient. That's something you do have to consider when it comes to game music.

Except Wrapped in Black. That one's great.

Yeah, wrapped in black and raisin me up are the only songs in my opinion that keeps Sonic Rush from being the worst Sonic album. You kind of have to have a peculiar taste in music to like the Sonic Rush album, it took me a while but eventually I grew to like it. The usual good melody is there that is always in Sega's music. Its more the odd vocal choices that tips Sonic Rush towards the bad music side (Like the monkey sounds in Vela Nova). Frankly if they had the same mindset that they had for wrapped in black, I think the album would have been more of a success.