Awoo.

Attitudes and Respect

Chris

The whole "your opinion is wrong" thing gets on my tits, because at that point, you literally can't discuss the topic anymore if people are convinced that your subjective enjoyment of a game is literally wrong. It's about on par with saying that person's crazy (which I've also seen, and not in jest), and even worse is when people try to compromise on it. "You can like it, but you can't say it's good." Basically: You can have a subjective interpretation, but only under my circumstances. It's elitist as fuck.

Now as much as I hate this, too, I've mainly seen this in instances where people attempt to defend Sonic '06.  Now, I wouldn't have any problem with someone trying to justify Sonic '06 as a "good game" or even say "it wasn't as bad as people say," but half the time their defenses are "Sonic '06 isn't bad, it's the people who don't like it that have a problem!"  So in a way, I do see justification for the "You can like it, but you can't say it's good" responses.  Granted, it's still a stupid response.  The proper response should be "If you can't think of a way to actually defend it instead of lambasting upon people for perfectly reasonable criticisms, then don't try to defend it."  But what I'm saying is that while that sort of attitude is deplorable, in all fairness, typically what they're responding to isn't much better.

So before I go about getting myself banned/striked/disciplined, I just want to make entirely sure one thing.

A good dash of sarcasm is not encouraged?

Granted I don't post much and tend to lurk, but when I do post, I'd say roughly 80% of my posts have a blunt, "playfully" snarky tone to them. Not that I'd go to flat out insulting someone in a reply. But then again, my writing style tends to have this in spades.

I don't think so, I'm a particularly blunt and snarky user, but I know when to draw the line and I know when to hold my tongue in check, I tend to be a defender most times when someone is being jumped on, I'm one of the minority which tells people to back the fuck off, normally moving the heat onto me lol.

I hate dog piling and I hate when an asshole gets away with being an asshole :l

So before I go about getting myself banned/striked/disciplined, I just want to make entirely sure one thing.

Granted I don't post much and tend to lurk, but when I do post, I'd say roughly 80% of my posts have a blunt, "playfully" snarky tone to them. Not that I'd go to flat out insulting someone in a reply. But then again, my writing style tends to have this in spades.

I believe the problem was that pretty much almost all of the responses in the topic before the mods stepped in were of a sarcastic tone, regardless whether their intent of ridiculing the OP was intentional or not (hence your previously mentioned "playful" intent). It made the whole atmosphere of the topic (and for the newcomer, presumably the forum in general) come off as mean-spirited.

I have a feeling that my assumption was incorrect though, so I appreciate if someone would clear this up for me if this is the case.

Edited by Gabe the Grouch

The sarcasm itself is not the problem.  The problem is when you don't-

1) Make it clear that you were being sarcastic or otherwise not intending to hurt someone.  (But I don't think you should necessarily have to put "lol, I'm just being sarcastic and I do not mean to hurt your feelings" at the end of every sentence)  As the old saying goes, "an inside joke is only funny to those in on the joke."  That's an old saying, right?

2) At least have something to contribute to the topic.  I wouldn't just make a sarcastic response for the sake of making a sarcastic response.  The problem with the level assistance thread was that everyone wanted to make a snarky joke without actually contributing to the topic.  If you can use your sarcasm to respectfully contribute to the topic, then I see no reason why it should not be accepted by the community.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

We're not trying to target playful banter and fun here, or even genuine ribbing of members. We're trying to target the attitude that says it's okay to actually demean others with thread-shitting and this attitude that you're "right" just because you can put some logical syllogisms together, because it's gotten to the point where people are claiming we're unfriendly and want to leave, new members and old.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's all about context and timing. There are so many different ways someone can interpret "'Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Lost World? Pfff I would rather play Sonic R."

I was being sarcastic there, but I made it really obvious, didn't I?

If I were to post that as a joke, I would make sure it would be in a place that the audience would find it funny or not offensive. "Favorite Sonic Game" would definitely be a more politically correct place to do so than "The Official Sonic Lost World Thread" or "Why Sonic Unleashed Sucks Thread" (Spoiler Inside Spoiler: "[insert Game Title] Sucks" threads should never exist IMO).

Yeah, there really is no reason to belittle someone else's opinion. (unless, as you said, it is a joke ) I mean, you not agreeing with them doesn't make it less valid! Am I right? I feel the same way when I argue with  my "professional" Smash Bros playing Brother, "Sonic is a cheap character!" he says. "Well, just because I can beat you with him doesn't make him cheap!" I say. Man! it is annoying when people try to invalidate your opinion! :)

Um, hey guys I think I should clear some things up. 

Im kind of new to sonic stadium and on the first day of posting I created the sonic assistance topic. My intentions was to have a place to share sonic tips and secrets (such as hidden places or items in the games). But as you are aware it did not go over too well.

At first I admit I was upset. I sent Nepenthe an angry message about Sonic Stadium that I regretted sending and was not really thinking straight at the time. But when I calmed down I realized several things. First of all that the people who posted in my topic were probably just having a little fun and most of them did not mean any harm. In fact several of them have apologized to me personally. Another thing is that I should have gotten to know the community in other posts instead of barging into Sonic Stadium by making a topic of my own. I think I was just a bit too excited about talking about Sonic games with others that I did not realize this before posting. I honestly did not even know that there was a blog dedicated to rules either, otherwise I would have read it before joining. Plus in hindsight it was a silly idea to create a help center on a super sonic fan site. I think I just assumed that there were other people like me who loves sonic but has not finished all of the games and needed help every now and then. I know more about sonic music than I do about the classic games for instance.

I want to thank everyone who was concerned for me and also I want to thank the Sonic Stadium moderators for their help (Especially Nepenthe and Sean). Everyone who is still mad about what happened, don't be. Like some of you said its all water under the bridge and I have forgiven everyone concerned. I think one way we can make things better on this site is to forgive each other if one of us steps out of line. Because were only human and there will be times when each of us posts something we regret posting. I swear that it was not my intention to stir this much trouble. I just found out that you guys have been blogging about this debacle. I'm not one of the newbies looking to bring upheaval among the sonic fans either. I'm not sure how to prove this to you guys though. If you think its best I could re-sign up as a different person or stop blogging. Because keeping the sonic community together is more important than everyone fighting one another over defending a new kid on the block. If you guys can think of anything I can do just let me know. Again I apologize for causing trouble.

Hey there! Don't worry too much, apparently, there is a lot more going on here than just your post :) In fact, people liked the idea and opened another one like yours, because the post itself was a good idea :) The problem here involves a good many posts that have been rude in recent times here.  ( I am pretty new too, so I am not completely familiar with everything) But it was nice to say that :)

The people who they are talking about in this debate here were ones that reply to things without respect. they invalidate each other's opinions and speak rudely to other users, and seem to think newbies may not have any ideas, because they are new :(. So don't worry, you don't have to leave, it seems that the way people responded to your post was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak :)

words

Welcome to the SSMB :)

It wasn't a silly idea at all to create that topic; the only silly thing was the immature way that people reacted to it. I and many others thought the topic was a great idea and that it was a real shame it turned into what it did. I think we're past that now though so I won't reopen old wounds.

Just remember that you are not at all at fault for the way it turned out.

• Thumbs Up 3

No need to make a new account (as that's against the rules anyway. xP) We would all rather you just continue trying to integrate into the community as you've been doing since. You've really done nothing wrong to warrant leaving- even the topic you made was fine. Again, the trouble was caused when the topic was derailed by other members, and it's an incident that merely brought other issues to a head. Don't beat yourself up about it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ok sounds good,biggrin.png  I just wanted to clear things up. Thanks again! Subject officially closed.

• Thumbs Up 1