Awoo.

Attitudes and Respect

Chris

I have an issue with it because I find that the well-minded discussion just brings about more doom and gloom if it hangs in people's minds for too long. 

How is ignoring it any better? People won't learn unless they're told, and sadly people aren't smart enough to understand after just one or two topics so they need to be reminded. Still not seeing what your problem is.

Also, I feel the need to say that I seriously DO NOT want us to edit without the edit tags because given the circumstances this topic was made in the first place, it would be very easy to abuse and cause trouble among more opportunistic members who'll likely cause trouble. I don't really trust us to use it wisely if we get rewarded with that privelige because then we risk going back to square one.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know why this bothers you so much Chaos Warp? It's something that needs addressing publicly after all.

• Thumbs Up 2

How is ignoring it any better? People won't learn unless they're told, and sadly people aren't smart enough to understand after just one or two topics so they need to be reminded. Still not seeing what your problem is.

I'm not suggesting ignoring it, I'm suggesting discussing it, coming to a consensus, and then just getting rid of the topic so the constant reminder of our fuckup doesn't hang over our head and spread bitterness.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I have an issue with it because I find that the well-minded discussion just brings about more doom and gloom if it hangs in people's minds for too long.
While I agree to some extent in that sometimes/often things like this tend to be blown out of proportion, I think that if we remember to keep things in perspective (as humans have an inherent negativity bias), then this discussion will be more useful.
  • Thumbs Up 2

We've had at least one thread on this sort of stuff before (can't remember what it was called, but Verte made it a while back). So this sort of stuff has been called out before and little changed, yet we don't need a reminder?

And honestly I thought that that topic was half good and half taking jokes out of context and taking them in a way they were not meant to be taken. 

This and the holocaust are incomparable. One was a genocide, and the other is a little small fourm issue.

Geez, do we really have to bring that into this?

That was a example. I could bring up any point in time. The main point though is we learn from out mistakes. THAT is comparable.I don't see how this is hard for you to understand. keeping it after discussion could still benefit more than be useless. Edited by Jaden Yuki
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it really bothers you that much Chaos Warp you can minimise The Sonic Stadium subcategory on the main page and you won't have to see it at all.

And "coming to a consensus" is great but not everyone lives on here.  If you deleted the topic 24 hours after doing so I'm pretty sure the majority of members would never see it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Not to sound pessimistic but I have a feeling 6 months from now, the majority of us will forget the events that transpired, and guess what will happen? History will repeat itself.

Thankfully we will always have those who will remind us of the past, but it feels like I am listening to a broken record, and God, the tune is not pleasant.

With that said, I have never wanted to be proven so wrong in my entire life.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not suggesting ignoring it, I'm suggesting discussing it, coming to a consensus, and then just getting rid of the topic so the constant reminder of our fuckup doesn't hang over our head and spread bitterness.

Or, you could ignore it. That seems like a viable solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

And honestly I thought that that topic was half good and half taking jokes out of context and taking them in a way they were not meant to be taken. 

Thing is, humour can sometimes be used to get across opinions that the person genuinely has, as is the case on forums a lot of the time. So something being a joke should not mean the person gets a free pass if it went too far, as some of the jokes did IIRC.

Yeah I never buy the whole "insert ridiculous or mean opinion and then later say you were joking if people react badly to it" thing.

If this ever happens to you and you were sincerely joking - stop joking.  You're not good at it.  Bonus points if you manage to do so without going off on one about how "well just because some people don't have a sense of humour it's not my fault".

• Thumbs Up 2

If it really bothers you that much Chaos Warp you can minimise The Sonic Stadium subcategory on the main page and you won't have to see it at all.

And "coming to a consensus" is great but not everyone lives on here.  If you deleted the topic 24 hours after doing so I'm pretty sure the majority of members would never see it.

Who says it has to be 24 hours? It could be 3 or 4 days: I never said 24 hours.

Or, you could ignore it. That seems like a viable solution.

Not so easy when it hangs over the recent topics section like a badge of "You're a fucking asshole".

Edited by Chaos Warp

Not so easy when it hangs over the recent topics section like a badge of "You're a fucking asshole".

I'm not sure why this topic is bothering you so much in the first place- It's just a reminder to not be an asshole.

• Thumbs Up 4

Some folk only come on once or twice a week.

Hell actually I come on every day and I very rarely check the Sonic Stadium subforum.  I'm only being vigilant today because I was there at the scene of the disaster and thus was expecting a follow-up.

You know you're the only one who interprets that way, right? =x

Like, I seriously don't understand how you could look at it so pessimistically.  When I see this topic, I do not see a means to force guilt, and apparently neither does anyone else.  So it just seems to me that you're establishing the image of that "You're a fucking asshole" badge on your own.

I'd honestly say people who lack a sense of humor can be just as irritating as people who try too hard to be funny sometimes.   There's been several times here where I just wanted to yank the stick out of some people's asses.
Why?

I think we're smart enough to know this stuff is not okay without a constant reminder. We're not 10 year olds. 

And yet some of us went ahead and did it in the first place.

I don't see why you have such a problem with this topic. You're really on the defensive here, and I have no idea why that is. Look, the moderators and admins have every right to bring this up and keep it as a reminder and incentive to not act like immature children around here. At least not in the threads, the status updates tend to be very silly (even then that has its guidelines), but at the very least we should strive to not be mean to one another.

I've seen plenty a comment around these forums (sometimes directed at myself) that have far less than cordial intentions with their tone and expression, particularly in the Sonic Lost World screenshots topic, it got pretty nasty there for a while. 

People act like idiots sometimes. And when people act like idiots, sometimes it's necessary to make an example of them. And even in this case, no names are being named here. Heck, I don't even know who was involved, and for that matter I don't care. I'm glad they made this topic so I can stay on my toes about how I interact with the rest of the forum so I don't get blindsided by a strike or even a ban for being ignorant. This topic is a good thing. There is positive reinforcement, and there is negative reinforcement. 

If you have a problem with this justified public reminder, then just go ahead and hide the sub-forum table for a week or so. It really shouldn't be this big of an issue.

You're making Red Mountains out of Pumpkin Hills.

Be all like, "I ain't gonna let it get to me, I'm just gonna creep"

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why?

Because when we're having a good time and some fuckass comes along and goes into "oh so serious mode", it's really fucking annoying and just tears the fun to shreds.

I've seen it happen in the status updates so many goddamn times that I want to rip off my own sack sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Because when we're having a good time and some fuckass comes along and goes into "oh so serious mode", it's really fucking annoying and just tears the fun to shreds.   I've seen it happen in the status updates so many goddamn times that I want to rip off my own sack sometimes.
I'm in the status updates a whole lot (more than I'm in the actual forums probably), mostly at night too when all the joking around is going on. I rarely see this happen.

^Yeah, that's a good point actually. I'm just against jokes that could be potentially harmful, but eh, that's just me being a party pooper I guess :v

Because when we're having a good time and some fuckass comes along and goes into "oh so serious mode", it's really fucking annoying and just tears the fun to shreds.

I've seen it happen in the status updates so many goddamn times that I want to rip off my own sack sometimes.

I know what you're talking about as I saw something like that happen around E3 aftermath point.

Edited by Abominal Taz