Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: Analysis, Fan Reception and Defense

Indigo Rush

Not arguing or anything but SLoW art style being made that way to improve the performance is a very poor excuse. The levels are neither as huge as they were in Unleashed-Generations, nor is the gameplay as fast as it was in those games. It's not even half of the speed. If this game has smaller levels and slower gameplay, the graphics should be as detailed as they were in Unleashed-Generations, if not more, not the other way around, it makes no sense.

Look at the new M&S Olympic game, look at the new Mario cart. Both look much more detailed and beautiful and as far as I know, the new Mario cart runs at 60 fps.

Other than that, it's great we can agree on some things:).

It takes twice the amount of processing power to run a game at 60fps compared to running the game at 30fps. 

The Wii U is not twice as powerful as the 360 or the ps3, it's roughly the same. So graphical sacrifices have to be made in order to run a hedgehog engine game at 60fps. It's as simple as that. And the gameplay speed was a design choice, not a graphical one.

Edited by daman825

It takes twice the amount of processing power to run a game at 60fps compared to running the game at 30fps.

The Wii U is not twice as powerful as the 360 or the ps3, it's roughly the same. So graphical sacrifices have to be made in order to run a hedgehog engine game at 60fps. It's as simple as that. And the gameplay speed was a design choice, not a graphical one.

I'm pretty sure the graphics themselves are of Generations detail, there are loads of little bits of detail if you look closely, so I don't know where these "graphical sacrifices" are, unless you are talking about the amount of stuff on screen? Like seriously the graphics are around the same, some of the detail is there too, the thing to change is the art style. Just because the cartoony look is what they went for doesn't mean they suddenly took a sledgehammer to the graphics quality. I don't know why people assume that the cartoony art style means that the graphics themselves aren't up to par, dislike the style all you want sure, but don't claim the graphics quality has suddenly worsened, I don't think Sonic Team would go back a step.

(Wasn't aimed at you daman825", just a general response! XD)

I don't see a decline in detail whence compared to Generations thus far. It's still shown to have a ton of work (blood, sweat and tears, man) put into SLoW, as did Generations. It isn't a step back at all, I think.

I'm pretty sure the graphics themselves are of Generations detail, there are loads of little bits of detail if you look closely, so I don't know where these "graphical sacrifices" are, unless you are talking about the amount of stuff on screen? Like seriously the graphics are around the same, some of the detail is there too, the thing to change is the art style. Just because the cartoony look is what they went for doesn't mean they suddenly took a sledgehammer to the graphics quality. I don't know why people assume that the cartoony art style means that the graphics themselves aren't up to par, dislike the style all you want sure, but don't claim the graphics quality has suddenly worsened, I don't think Sonic Team would go back a step.

(Wasn't aimed at you daman825", just a general response! XD)

I'm not saying the game looks bad. I'm glad Sega went with 60 frames per second. Nor did I say the graphics aren't up to par.

But it's pretty obvious that Sonic: Lost World is a step down in terms of scene density. Not only that, but in alot of the stages, the background is a texture. It's hard to see in still images, but the draw distance also took a hit. It might as well be fact that what has been shown of Lost World isn't as graphically demanding as generations or Unleashed. 

Just take a look at this picture and this picture in Generations. And then compare them to this picture and this picture from Lost World. The difference isn't night and day, but it's there. However, those small sacrifices allowed the game to run at a smooth 60fps. Which is great for a fast paced game like sonic.

I agree with above... and honestly? Unleashed and Generations had alot of lag. No one can come here and defend that...  and reviewers and people noticed it. Maybe for us? Being how big of a fan we are to those two games but for gameplay wise it suffered. With the slow downs, and going way to fast for most... I think this game is a good blend for anyone who wants to try this game? And enjoy it. Sega seems like they want to make good products and something that doesn't suffer from. "Well it looks like they rushed there games again." I hear alot about Sega rushing there games, and the names that come up the most? Unleashed, 06, even Generations because of the lag, amount of glitches ect. Im fine with this style, because there putting more effort into gameplay, and the unique way of playing it then how the game looks. How "realistic" we can make a cartoon character....

Also gameplay wise? I couldn't have said it any better then... *GASP* Ign today... http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/23/sonic-lost-world-why-slowing-down-is-a-good-thing

Edited by Dead Master
  • Thumbs Up 1