Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: Analysis, Fan Reception and Defense

Indigo Rush

I don't really think it needs an explanation, he just grabbed some Wisps again because there is literally nothing stopping him from doing so other than him giving up on them (and he's easily as stubborn as a certain hedgehog, soooo). Planet Wisp must not be that far away if he got to it in the first place, so he could theoretically just go back and grab some more whenever he felt like it.

It's basically the same as the animals being used as batteries. It'd be awkward if at some point in Sonic Adventure, Sonic was like "EGGMAN IS PUTTING ANIMALS IN ROBOTS, JUST LIKE IN OUR LAST ADVENTURE. AND THE ONE BEFORE THAT. AND THE ONE BEFORE THAT."

• Thumbs Up 3

Going by the generations story, I will say that they will most likely explain how eggman got out of white space and the wisps will probably be explained somewhat or get the shaft in explanation like how classic tails just came out of nowhere.

Generation's CGI trailers had more going on for the game itself. Look how that turned out....

Sonic running around to me does not signify any serious narrative. Only bit of narrative there was in those was the big bad(Time eater) appearing in front of the sonics. We already have more than that here.

Yes, I'll concede I could see the wisp explanation being handwaved considering Sega's track record, but I hope they used the term evolved wisps for Eagle and Asteroid cuz' they're kinda improved versions of prior ones. But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

^^^

This.

We will get explanation for the rest if the story, like Eggman working with you and POSSIBLY how he got out of white space (don't hold your breath though), but it seems the wisps are just power ups and therefore won't receive any story importance.

They eventually found  the door in the white space and they both went back to their time periods. 

It seems like lost hex might be a wisp world, what if eggman Dragged that planet in sonic colors but ended up not using that planet and flung it in sonic's world.

I honestly doubt there'll be any explanation for the wisps.

And that makes me sad and angry

• Thumbs Up 1

Easiest Explanation; Lost Hex is another one of the Wisps' Planets. One that Eggman didn't capture the first time, and tried to do this time.

Done. Easy as you like. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That's why Lost Hex looks like it's in another planet's atmosphere and not out in space.....wait.

That's why Lost Hex looks like it's in another planet's atmosphere and not out in space.....wait.

It's a small planet that came into the atmosphere of Sonic's world ?

It's a small planet that came into the atmosphere of Sonic's world ?

wouldnt be the first time

• Thumbs Up 4

You can't get worse than Generations in terms of story, so it has to be better.
Sonic Heroes. Say what you will about Generations lack of depth, It was at least coherent and you could make sense of it better than what Heroes tried to do.

Sonic Heroes. Say what you will about Generations lack of depth, It was at least coherent and you could make sense of it better than what Heroes tried to do.

At least Heroes tried to do something though. I'd actually put the two stories roughly on the same level actually, they are both bad for their own reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Easiest Explanation; Lost Hex is another one of the Wisps' Planets. One that Eggman didn't capture the first time, and tried to do this time.

Done. Easy as you like. 

Huh...that could actually work pretty well. I could see Sega doing that.

And speaking of story, if Aaron says that Lost World's story will be more complex this time around, than I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

At least Heroes tried to do something though. I'd actually put the two stories roughly on the same level actually, they are both bad for their own reasons.
Yeah, Heroes tried to do something only to leave holes as it went and the villain's motives and actions makes nosense and you'd have to make up reasons why he went through all that trouble to explain them. Generations played too safe, but left hardly any holes. I'm gonna go with Generations as being better in comparing the two.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Heroes tried to do something only to leave holes as it went and the villain's motives and actions makes nosense and you'd have to make up reasons why he went through all that trouble to explain them. Generations played too safe, but left hardly any holes. I'm gonna go with Generations as being better in comparing the two.

Couldn't this also be applied to 06 and Shadow?

Couldn't this also be applied to 06 and Shadow?

Those are in their own category.

Am I the only one who got giddy when Aaron said that there would be some awesome cutscenes featuring Eggman, Sonic and Tails and the crazy antics they get themselves into? He also said there'd be some more intense moments in the game.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that the story is going to be as bare-bones as Generations or even Colors. They have made absolutely no indication of a paper thin story line, and I for one think it's ridiculous to take what he says and assume he's meaning the opposite.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

Not to mention while Sega do realize their fanbase is a little pissed about the lack of a deep or interesting story as of late, they also notice the positive reception they've gotten from outside of it. People outside seem to love the fact that the plots are small and simple, and most prefer that. My hope is that lost world finds a nice center that will please both the fanbase and general consumers.

• 4 weeks later...

So it looks like the art style is being discussed intensely once again. 

If people want to keep on debating about that, this is the best place for it. In another thread, I posted this:

This is literally the most annoying thing.

Sonic Lost World looks absolutely fantastic, and it didn't need a Hedgehog Engine to pretty it up at all. I'll always jump ahead at the "art is subjective" bandwagon but for crying out loud, sometimes I think people are just making complaints up for no other reason than to try and justify their stance.  

Look at this:

1374168606-14.jpg

Sonic-Lost-World-9.jpg

Sonic-Lost-World-21.jpg

Bland? Plain? Boring?!

I have just about had it up to here with people taking a nice steaming heap on top of this game. I know, opinions are opinions but at some point you need to step back and look at this from a different point of view. It isn't a playable Pixar film, no, I get that. I would enjoy another game like that, but...

bhmpc.jpg

LOOK AT THIS.

You don't need to have the "graphical fidelity" of Sonic Unleashed to impress. Lookie here:

ywz8.jpg

Do you know what that is?

Beautiful. That's what it is.

And 60 frames per second is just a cherry on top of this gorgeousness! Sonic Lost World is absolutely a joy to watch in motion, and this art style is one of the best changes to happen in the recent stream of Sonic games.

It's just so wonderful I can't even completely express how happy I am that this art style is here.

5602-bill-cosby.gif

It's a hippity zibbity wonderflunderful fuuuuun

ooowwwah - ah - ah - ah

EDIT:

So sorry Nepenthe- I started this post a while back ;-;

And I want to quote Diogenes here, because he makes a great point:

Honestly I think a lot of people, even some of the people defending the game's art style, probably, underestimate the detail in the game. For example, did you notice the checkerboard pattern on the red rug in this pic?

Probably not at first, right?

And in this:

8Zr8hEb.jpg

The grass in the background looks flat, but up close you can see it's actually got tons of individual little blades of grass.

The game goes for a style that gives it big, bold swaths of color from a distance, but they're not really halfassing the details up close.

There is still detail in this game, it's just not as easy to pick out.

One of the more common accusations against SLW is that the art design is "lazy." This simply isn't so.
  • Thumbs Up 4

One thing I also noticed about the artstyle is that the models for the enemies are actually really detailed as well. Look at this Egg pawn.

28270CoOp_StealthB_130801_02-1024x576.jp

That thing is so goddamn adorable i mean jesus.

You  can spot scratches and stuff on him up close, something you probably wouldn't even notice in the game.

Sega definitely didn't slouch here. 

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 8

I didn't even notice that Sonic was there until I took a long look. Guess that stealth camo is doing its job.

Well... I wouldn't call it lazy. Simplistic yes, but certainly not lazy.

I'll state my position once more: the whole argument of art is subjective fully applies to how I feel towards it. I'm a weird hybrid of love and hate on this matter.

I do say that this style is certainly that: stylish. The colors are vibrant, the locales are interesting, and there is a surprising amount of detail present here. I love all of the little touches despite the more simplistic style. Of course the diabetes tasting Egg Pawn design was already mentioned, but even so much as the intricate flower patterns are beautifully rendered. There is no denying the fact that this style is pleasing to the eye. It draws you in with a surprising amount of charm. It's simplistic and cartoony, and many people like this.

However, my main issue is with my limits on how much simplicity will fly with me. It's one reason that I prefer Sonic over Mario. Their artstyles, while both having cartoony roots, is very different between the two. Both are able to get good amounts of detail in their work, but Sonic usually strives to go as much detail and coolness as possible. Mario was the one with the more simplistic, cutesy and deeply cartoonish style, while Sonic's was more ripe with the detail and not as overly cartoony. This new style may look great, and I like simplicity to an extent... but this seems like an excess. It just feels wrong to me. I'm not looking for more grit and grey in my Sonic, but I don't expect Sonic to look like a 6 or 7 year old's cartoon. If anything, I feel that he fits more of a 10 to 11 year old's cartoon. This sort of style, especially in things like the Storybook Series and Unleashed is stuff that I'm looking for.(As a matter of fact, Sonic's specific artstyle is what drew me into the similar feeling Ratchet and Clank series.)

I'm all up for a nice balance between the two styles though.

TL;DR version: Both are pleasing to the eye, but I prefer a style that has, as TV Tropes put it, "surreal environments, but with realistic detail." as opposed to something completely cartoonish in nature.

...and that turned into more of a rant than I expected. ^^'

• Thumbs Up 2

Indigo, you and Dio pretty much hit the nail on the head with that. Bravo :)

Edited by Ben Tennyson

heh, if Sega likes to listen to vocal opinions, maybe we should barage their facebook page with several thousand requests for the return of Tails and Knuckles as playable characters in the main games, at the very least in multiplayer? or a petition

No, stop with this petition bull crap, it won't change a damn thing, SEGA know we want other characters back in the lime light, but they just don't plan on using them until they see fit.

No, NO Petitions, christ.