Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: Analysis, Fan Reception and Defense

Indigo Rush

No, stop with this petition bull crap, it won't change a damn thing, SEGA know we want other characters back in the lime light, but they just don't plan on using them until they see fit.

No, NO Petitions, christ.

The thought alone of them actually reading one now after all the BS ones during Sonic 4 makes me chuckle.

To anybody who still uses the "they're perfecting Sonic's gameplay" excuse for the lack of playable characters, they've been perfecting the Sonic formula for five years now. And then they went ahead and changed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

To anybody who still uses the "they're perfecting Sonic's gameplay" excuse for the lack of playable characters, they've been perfecting the Sonic formula for five years now. And then they went ahead and changed it.

When exactly did anyone say that?

When exactly did anyone say that?

That's been the default excuse given as to why we haven't seen playable characters for literally years.

"Once they get Sonic's gameplay right, then they'll bring in other characters! You guys just need to wait!"

Yeahsurewhatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perfecting Sonic's gameplay required throwing out the broken-ass formula that they spent way too much time trying to make work. Now they have new, better ideas that they need to polish.

It's not a perfect argument against including other characters, but I think that it is true.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even so, we'll have other playable characters when Sega and Sonic Team think the time is right. Petitions and Rants aren't going to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

True that petitions won't change anything, but I'm not thoroughly convinced including other characters are on any sort of time table, even an embarrassingly tenuous one like "when the gameplay is 'perfect'", because that would require people demanding them back in the first place, which most people aren't due to their reputation. As a result, it is more of a placebo than a promise or something to look forward to, and it will remain so until we get actual word from Sonic Team that is more definite, as in, "We're bringing them back for x game whether you fuckers like them or not."

Perfecting Sonic's gameplay required throwing out the broken-ass formula that they spent way too much time trying to make work. Now they have new, better ideas that they need to polish.

It's not a perfect argument against including other characters, but I think that it is true.

At the times of Unleashed people were saying the exact same thing, e.g. the Unleashed formula was perfect. Then Colors came out and then Generations where even I honestly believe the formula was close to perfect.

Then they announced this game and it was Sonic only yet again.

Edited by ArtFenix

I honestly can't imagine them adapting the other characters to the boost style since it's essentially built around Sonic and his insane speed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't imagine them adapting the other characters to the boost style since it's essentially built around Sonic and his insane speed. 

Shadow

Metal Sonic

Silver

Blaze

Tails

you name it. They'd play close to Sonic but with minor differences. In Sonic adventure 2 Shadow was almost exactly like Sonic but he was playable and it was simply FUN to play as him.

If they wanted to include any character other than Sonic, they'd have done that, no sweat. Everything else are just shitty excuses. There is only one reason as to why they didn't do that: they didn't want to.

Edited by ArtFenix

Shadow

Metal Sonic

Silver

Blaze

Tails

you name it. They'd play close to Sonic but with minor differences. In Sonic adventure 2 Shadow was almost exactly like Sonic but he was playable and it was simply FUN to play as him.

If they wanted to include any character other than Sonic, they'd have done that, no sweat. Everything else are just shitty excuses. There is only one reason as to why they didn't do that: they didn't want to.

That's boring. And lame. And a complete waste of space.

I really don't get the logic here, you want to play as someone other than Sonic yet you're perfectly fine with them being basically reskins?

• Thumbs Up 8

Shadow

Metal Sonic

Silver

Blaze

Tails

The way the levels are designed means Tails and Silver wouldn't be able to take advantage of their own abilities without breaking them wide open. Not to mention Silver is just too damn slow. The others would basically be skins of Sonic, which was something I thought people wanted to avoid.

At the times of Unleashed people were saying the exact same thing, e.g. the Unleashed formula was perfect. Then Colors came out and then Generations where even I honestly believe the formula was close to perfect.

And they were wrong.

And regardless, the fact that this game is done in a new style means it's almost certainly not perfect.

I don't think anyone wants reskins, but Shadow is close enough where he could have warranted an appearance. This is essentially proven in Generations when he basically has the same moveset

That's boring. And lame. And a complete waste of space.

I really don't get the logic here, you want to play as someone other than Sonic yet you're perfectly fine with them being basically reskins?

Was Shadow just a boring reskin in Sonic adventure 2? Was Blaze a boring useless reskin in Sonic Rush? I don't think so, hell no. ..not to mention additional characters make stories more interesting than seeing Sonic involved in a new story where he's pretty much alone (aside from Tails you hardly see anyone else from the HUGE cast).

By the way, no way in hell is SIlver slow. They made his gamelay slow in S06 but as a character he is quite fast. Remember S06 CG Silver story intro and Generations Silver battle? Yeah.

Other characters have their own abilities separating them enough from the Blue Blur.

Edited by ArtFenix

Was Shadow just a boring reskin in Sonic adventure 2? Was Blaze a boring useless reskin in Sonic Rush? I don't think so, hell no

Say what you want about the story, but from a gameplay perspective, Shadow offered absolutely nothing in SA2. Sonic could have had all his levels and it wouldn't have made any difference in that regard.

Was Shadow just a boring reskin in Sonic adventure 2? 

Well, that depends on whether you find the Sonic/Shadow gameplay style to be all that in the first place, but he essentially was Sonic minus Magic Hands and Bound Attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was Shadow just a boring reskin in Sonic adventure 2?

Yes?

By the way, no way in hell is SIlver slow. They made his gamelay slow in S06 but as a character he is quite fast. Remember S06 CG Silver story intro and Generations Silver battle? Yeah.

He may be able to fly fast, but unless you expect him to fly constantly, he isn't fast.

It was still a lot more fun to play as Sonic AND Shadow in Sa2.

Yes?

The key word in that sentence was "boring" - something Shadow wasn not.

Just say you don't like Shadow and I'll stop right there.

He may be able to fly fast, but unless you expect him to fly constantly, he isn't fast.

Well, good padding is welcomed. You could have more platforming playing as Silver and then there would be some parts where you could fly fast.

Come on! That's all so forced! If SonicTeam wanted to make somebody playable, they would've done that. Saying stuff like "the character X is just a boring recolor" or "he doesn't fit with the formula" is BS.

I'm not gonna drag this any longer as I'm standing my ground. They just don't want to add anyone besides Sonic. That's all there is to it, nothing more. No shitty excuses. They just don't want that.

Edited by ArtFenix

Switching between Sonic and Sonic With Less Moves is more fun than having access to all Sonic's moves the whole time?

Honestly, I thought Shadow's levels were rather meh to go through.

The key word in that sentence was "boring" - something Shadow wasn not.

He was plenty boring. He didn't offer anything that Sonic didn't. Less, even. If I could play as Sonic in his levels I wouldn't have bothered with him.

If Sonic played through the levels Shadow did, the game would be no worse.  If anything playing would be a little more fun because (as mentioned before) Sonic has more moves (most notably the Bounce Bracelet).

What frustrates me is that characters like Shadow can potentially be designed to lay differently from Sonic while characters like Amy and Silver can be designed to play more similar to Sonic, but there's this notion that if someone is slow then they have to remain as such, and if someone is a clone they also have to stay the same. Silver was slow in 06, but he was pretty fast in Sonic Rivals, while Amy who was slow in Adventure 1 and Advance 1 had become a speed demoness in Adventure 2 and Advance 2. Tails was originally a Sonic clone in Sonic 2, but you could fly around in Sonic 3. Really, there is little excuse for a character to not be playable in some form or another.

• Thumbs Up 2