Awoo.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Autosaver

I'm a little nervous with this being a lead role for Ben without him as a director, but not enough to completely shut him down since he has pulled a massive 180 in his overall personality after he got his life in order. He takes his career much more seriously than he did in the days of Daredevil and Armageddon. Also he has experience with portraying serious/charismatic characters, so this could work. He just needs to be in sync with Synder's directing and visa versa -- then everything should be fine.

Still, I'll wait until I see a trailer before I develop a stronger opinion on this. Regardless, I'll still see it in theaters like I always do with these type of movies, and that's when I'll make my final decision on it.

Edited by YoshiUnity the Aesthetic

I'm totally OK with Affleck being Batman. I'm sure he'll do fine, especially after seeing Argo (which was excellent), which Ben directed (he also directed The Town and Gone Baby Gone) and starred in.

I'm honestly more worried with Snyder still on board as director, as most of his movies he's done are rather meh-including this year's Man of Steel.

awesome article that explains why this could work
http://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-batman-man-of-steel-2-sequel-discussion/#comments

Ben Affleck as Batman: Why It Could Work

by Andrew Dyce
check-big.png
check-big.png6

Ben-Affleck-Batman-Man-of-Steel-Sequel-D

There’s no disagreement: Ben Affleck being cast as Batman was not what anyone was expecting. Although the announcement was met with… mixed reactions – some claiming all hope for Man of Steel 2 and Justice League is lost, others waiting to pass judgement – we feel a little context and analysis is called for in this instance.

Director Zack Snyder decided to cast a relative unknown for the role of Superman in Henry Cavill, and interestingly, has decided that someone with far more starpower is required to put Kal-El to the test. Put him to the test in terms of character development as well as physically, if writer David S. Goyer referring to the film as Batman Vs. Superman is any indication.

Assuming that Snyder and Christopher Nolan actually know something about making movies, we decided to outline the reasons why Affleck’s casting makes sense for the 2015 super-sequel:

-

He Fits The Description

Batman-in-Frank-Millers-Dark-Knight-Retu

Given the previous castings of Christian Bale and Henry Cavill, Warner Bros. and DC Comics seemed to be following a similar route to Marvel: casting actors largely unknown to mass audiences. The thinking behind the decision being not only a commercial one (signing stars long term gets expensive fast), but that the casting of an unknown helped audiences suspend their disbelief, and not think of the actor’s previous roles or celebrity persona – just the character they are inhabiting.

With that in mind, we thought of other younger unknowns who could follow Cavill’s path, and inhabit the role for a brand new audience, becoming a name, not a face, in the process. Then came word that Snyder and co. weren’t looking to re-tread old ground by telling another Batman origin story: they were after an older, more experienced Batman to give Superman a run for his money.

As surprising as Affleck might be for other reasons, his age, size and experience in the industry checks all said boxes. At 41 – but not what anyone would consider ‘old’ – Affleck still has the looks that a Bruce Wayne requires. And anyone who saw Affleck in The Town knows that he’s still capable of filling out his 6′ 3-1/2″ frame – also replacing Adam West as the most sizable actor to ever slip on the cowl.

Ben-Affleck-Ripped-in-the-Town.jpg

It seems that everyone who offers their dream choice for Batman/Bruce Wayne is immediately slammed with criticisms that ‘he’s not big enough’ or ‘he’d have to hit the gym for me to believe it’ – attacks that simply can’t be leveled at Affleck.

Fans can take issue with his previous roles and skill, but there’s no denying that Affleck has the age, the build, and the presence to play a veteran Batman believably.

And despite his fame, Affleck isn’t famous for a single role among mass audiences – something we looked for in all of our potential older Batmen.

________

NEXT PAGE: Acting Ability…

–~~~~~~~~~~~~–

-

He Can Pull Off Batman

Ben-Affleck-in-The-Town1.jpg

The first criticism many will lob at Affleck is that he’s ‘too soft,’ ‘too pretty’ or ‘not intimidating enough’ to even approach the terror that Batman is known for. While we would warn that that’s kind of what the cape and cowl are for in the first place, it’s true that “grit” and “grizzled” aren’t words usually used to describe the actor/writer/director. But true Batman fans know that there is more to the world’s greatest detective than just beating up criminals and growling.

We explained a year ago how DC would need a different take on Batman in a Justice League universe, and have driven a single point home in the time since: if you’re putting Batman next to Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash, his intellect and tactical thinking must be emphasized to keep him relevant – not his voice or ability to intimidate.

If playing a smart, discerning, troubled man is the most important aspect of doing a new Batman justice, Affleck’s recent work should be given far more attention than his earlier roles. Let’s take a look at how our own Kofi Outlaw described Affleck’s performance as Tony Mendez, the CIA extractor – and leading man – in his third directorial outing, Argo:

“Affleck manages to lead without hogging the stage, playing Tony as a sharp but reserved hero type who has just enough subtly-layered complexities to keep us interested in him, without those points of interest becoming distractions or loose threads.”

affleck1.jpg

Isolated incident, perhaps – Affleck playing a calm, calculating covert operative who never stops being an actual human being – is due to the role, not just the actor’s matured approach to acting. Just to be sure, let’s again see what our own Kofi Outlaw thought of Affleck’s role as an intelligent criminal in the actor’s second directorial outing, The Town:

“Affleck makes Doug MacRay a worthy central character, at once admirable, dangerous, vulnerable, strong, smart, foolish, brave and loyal to a fault.”

We shouldn’t have to point it out, but playing a character with those kind of dimensions is not easy; and also happens to describe Batman to the letter. The fact that Affleck made the task seem relatively unremarkable while also directing the film says quite a bit about how far his craft has come (seriously, we need to let Daredevil go: the same writer and director went on to make Ghost Rider, so Affleck clearly wasn’t the problem).

A cowl, body armor and cape can make just about anyone seem imposing – this was a role that Michael Keaton played, after all – and there’s no question that a man Affleck’s size can stand up to Cavill’s Superman. That alone should prove that audiences could buy him in the costume, if nothing else.

-

He Can Pull Off Bruce

Ben-Affleck-Bruce-Wayne-Discussion.jpg

It might seem obvious to claim that a Hollywood star could convincingly play a millionaire playboy, but a look at the other actors rumored for the role proves that it’s easier said than done. Karl Urban, for instance, could play Batman with his eyes covered (and essentially already has) – but his ability to play the charismatic and somewhat unlikable Wayne at cocktail parties is far less certain. Since Affleck appears in front of the camera so infrequently, he’s most often spotted at the Academy Awards. In other words, it’s hard not to picture him walking a red carpet.

Depending on your initial reaction to hearing that Affleck had been cast, you likely proved that either:

• Affleck is the definition of a movie star and you can’t ignore his charisma and charm. [supporters]
  • His is money and movie star attitude make him someone you despise, and you could never view him in a positive light. [Detractors]

Since both of those perspectives could be applied to Bruce Wayne by the people of Gotham City, Snyder might be off to a good start in making the character resonate with audiences in a very meta-minded kind of way. That is to say: people’s reactions to Affleck, the actor, fit in perfect synch with people’s reactions to Bruce Wayne, the character.

Superman-Batman-Lois-Lane-Romance.jpg

All kidding aside, knowing how well Affleck can fit into the skin and smile of Bruce Wayne depends on the direction Snyder, Goyer and Nolan will take him. After going darker than midnight with their Dark Knight Trilogy, we’d assume that more laughs will be in store for Wayne this time around, even if he’s going to be giving Kal-El a rude awakening.

But if Wayne will be introduced outside of his cowl as well – perhaps as a foil to Lex Luthor, or a rival for Lois Lane’s affections – then the millionaire playboy will need the smile and looks to pull it off. Since Affleck made an early career based on his sex appeal, he’s also got that covered.

NEXT PAGE: Fame is an Asset…

–~~~~~~~~~~~~–

-

Fame Might Be A Good Thing

Man-of-Steel-Zack-Snyder-and-Christopher

Lest we forget, there’s no real rule that casting unknowns is a recipe for success with Warner Bros. and DC – far from it. In casting the characters who could possibly steal attention away from Superman – or at the very least, not be completely outclassed by him – Snyder turned to Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe. Just to cover his bases, he then went ahead and cast Laurence Fishburne as his future boss, Amy Adams to play his love interest, and Diane Lane as his mother. The end result: Kal-El was surrounded with so much talent, he didn’t need to carry the film alone.

There’s also something to be said for bringing famous faces into a project to – for lack of a better word – put heroes in their place. When Christopher Nolan wanted to introduce a grounded, realistic Batman, he played it smart and cast himself a relative unknown; he then went ahead and surrounded him with Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Liam Neeson – three of the most recognizable actors on the face of the Earth. There had to be a reason, right?

Whether it was Nolan’s intention or not, hindsight reveals that by placing him next to such giants, Batman – one of the world’s most legendary heroes – ended up with a butler who knew better, a brilliant ally who was smarter, and a nemesis who showed him to be outmatched.

Morgan-Freeman-Dark-Knight-Rises.jpg

Would those relationships have been accepted as readily with unknowns in those roles, refusing to give Batman the proper respect without decades-long careers granting them that ability? We’ll never know. But if it’s Snyder and Goyer’s goal to make Superman answer for the events of Man of Steel, those criticisms might carry more weight coming from a man the audience already recognizes as ‘one of their own,’ compared to the relatively new, English-born Cavill.

Now, if Clark Kent’s identity is going to be developed at The Daily Planet – which also seems to be the plan – it’s likely that Bruce Wayne will be making Kal-El’s life harder at work. How do you push a hero like Superman (even in disguise) out of the way? Simple: by being more famous. If the goal is to show Superman he’s not the only game in town, just watch the Internet and fan reactions to Affleck’s casting; see how quickly Cavill has become old news.

We won’t say that Ben Affleck landing the role is a case of stunt casting, since there’s no way to know at this point. But if the sequel calls for a talented, larger-than-life celebrity to give Superman a wake-up call, and show him what real clout is, it does make sense to cast an incredibly famous star in the role. Affleck may not be the right choice for everyone, but the thinking behind it is intriguing to consider.

-

Batman-Vs.-Superman.jpg

It’s still too early to tell whether Affleck’s surprise casting will turn out to work perfectly with the story and themes Snyder and Goyer are after, or if his fame and history will be too much of a distraction. But as our argument shows, anyone claiming that the film’s director has lost his mind is clearly ignoring some key points.

Be sure to leave your thoughts on our case in the comments. We’ll keep you up to date when the studio begins releasing more information.

I'm totally OK with Affleck being Batman. I'm sure he'll do fine, especially after seeing Argo (which was excellent), which Ben directed (he also directed The Town and Gone Baby Gone) and starred in.

I'm honestly more worried with Snyder still on board as director, as most of his movies he's done are rather meh-including this year's Man of Steel.

Credit where credit is due Yeow. Man of steel being meh was a group effort between the studio, Snyder, and Goyer.

Credit where credit is due Yeow. Man of steel being meh was a group effort between the studio, Snyder, and Goyer.

Fair point.

It could work with Ben Affleck, some of the films he has been in were average in my opinion, however he has been trying his damn hardest lately some said he didn't deserve awards for Argo because of his past, I say bullshit.

I'll reserve judgement until I see a preview. Like others have said we were wrong about Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger.

He's got the chin. To be Batman you need a good Chin! wink.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah, internet. You never cease to disappoint in taking advantage of a situation.

argoment1.jpg

ben-affleck-as-batman-internet-reactions

MhHVgGJ.png

You can see some more here. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them are from NeoGAF.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am only little annoyed to people keep complaining about Ben Affleck only because they have seen him in Armageddon, Pearl Harbour and Dare Devil.

Firstly some people are complaining about an actor who started in Armageddon which was 15 years ago, I bet some of people complaining weren't even Toilet Trained when that film came out. I was only about to start year 3 of primary school when that film came out. Pearl Harbour came three years later I wasn't even in High School. That quite some time ago. DareDevil came out a year or so later. So thats ten years that is quite some time.

Ben Affleck has spent more than a half decade to improve his career and try and move away from his Hollywood Heartthrob which is isn't easy. The problem is he hasn't stared a big box office movie in a long time. Argo was critically well received and did well but it wasn't a blockbuster movie which most people have only seen star him in.

In short, lets wait until we see a preview of him acting in the Bat Suit, before we write off him completely.

Edited by BW199148

It's amazing how many people have ben affleckted by this news.

In all seriousness though, it'd be interesting to see how he does (and hopefully the writers do a good jerb too).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please let this be some cruel joke, because on instagram he said "#robin?":

3309349-0142263066-tumbl.jpg

Edited by Johnny Boy

If its true than his reaction to the script offering is really ungrateful looking.

I highly doubt this seeing as the only main film he has been in was about his own ego.

Looks fake to me.

Fake or not, the internet as we speak is suffering epileptic seizures as I type this post. :lol:

Looks like a quick photo shop to me. WB does make some stupid decisions, but even they're sane enough to keep Bieber far, far away from the DC universe.

I'd... hope that he actually do a decent job with his portrayal of Robin. I mean, I still remember when people were dismissive of Heath Ledger's being cast as the Joker in The Dark Knight before it was out.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point I'd most likely welcome our Bieboy wonder. He'd probably be the only thing I'd find interesting about the movie.

I'd... hope that he actually do a decent job with his portrayal of Robin. I mean, I still remember when people were dismissive of Heath Ledger's being cast as the Joker in The Dark Knight before it was out.

Okay, this is not the same thing at all.

We're talking about Heath Ledger, who was already an established actor who had been at least one great film, compared to Justin Bieber, a pop star who, like him or not, has had very little acting experience.

Now, while Bieber tweeted this himself, I wouldn't doubt that it's either fake or just an audition script. DC would probably not be cool with him showing the world something like this.

Okay, this is not the same thing at all.

We're talking about Heath Ledger, who was already an established actor who had been at least one great film, compared to Justin Bieber, a pop star who, like him or not, has had very little acting experience.

Now, while Bieber tweeted this himself, I wouldn't doubt that it's either fake or just an audition script. DC would probably not be cool with him showing the world something like this.

Well he was on an episode of CSI and got shot.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_mtflpyF8kT1r72395o1_500.jpg

Honestly, the funnier part for me is that our Batman model is the most bored looking caped avenger there ever was.

"Oh, yeah. Bees. My God. ...Whatever."

• 3 months later...

So, looking at what's going on with the sequel thus far...

It's been confirmed that Wonder Woman is going to be in this film in some capacity, likely a supporting or main role. She really deserves her own film, but I guess it can't be helped, now.

Also, it's heavily rumored that Denzel Washington is also going to be in the film. Names being dropped for his role include Lex Luthor, The Martian Manhunter, and according to gossip site "Nuke The Fridge", John Stewart, aka, The Green Lantern. I'm inclined to say that Stewart is the most likely candidate, and having him replace Hal Jordan entirely would be the easiest and best move to make for the Green Lantern character, firstly because a non-white face would be the easiest way to distance the character from the terrible GL movie that was supposed to be the starting point for a DC film universe but those plans were scrapped because the movie sucked, and secondly, the vast majority of people know the Justice League from outside the comics, and if they know them, they'll very likely know them from the Justice League cartoon, where John Stewart was the Green Lantern of the team, and for the vast majority of people who saw that cartoon, John Stewart is the Green Lantern.

It's obvious that the production of the sequel to Man of Steel is a clusterfuck, mainly due to Warner Bros. being in panic mode - Man of Steel made a lot of money, but not nearly enough that they were expecting, and the reception to the movie caught them completely off guard. They were trying to make an Avengers-killer and a Transformers killer at the same time, and failed at both (or maybe just one, considering Transformers is a very low bar to aim for, and people say Man Of Steel is a better Dragon Ball movie than the actual Dragon Ball movie). As a consequence, DC/Warner are modifying their plans on the fly depending on what trends they're looking at. It's kind of a ridiculous way to plan/make a movie, really.

We'll see how it works out later on, but considering Man of Steel had some horrible narrative choices, and the guy who wrote the script for that is still around for this one, I'm not holding out hope.

• Thumbs Up 4