Awoo.

Sega Saturn Game disscussion, review, advice and opinion thread

Mando-Whirl-Wind

ok, so this thread has been a bit quiet, but has had some good posts, so now it is time to ask, you guys up to me starting a Dreamcast and/or Genesis one of these?

ok, so this thread has been a bit quiet, but has had some good posts, so now it is time to ask, you guys up to me starting a Dreamcast and/or Genesis one of these?

If you think people will post on them, then go ahead. The main thing with this topic is that not many of us have Saturns to be able to talk about them. I have one, but as I mentioned, I only have so many games for it at the moment and many of the good ones are rather expensive.

I vote for an MD topic. I've wanted to make one for ages and I'm sure there's quite a few of us here with one.

I could also contribute a lot to one, which wold be nice :P

Edited by SkyLlama

I do have more genesis games than I do saturn games of course. I have about the same number of Dreamcast games as I do saturn ones, so my knowledge is limited, but I still enjoyed the game I own for it. I'm sure we all do of course. Why else would be buy the games for them. Either we enjoy them or collect them.

• 2 months later...

Say, just out of curiousity, any thoughts on Fighters Megamix, or the Virtua Pro Controller?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so currentlyI can get one of these 3 games for my saturn, which should I get? Cyber Troopers-Virtual On, Fighters Megamix, or X-men Children of the atom

If I remember correctly, Virtual-On is some kind of online game played with a special twin-stick controller. I can't imagine it to be a lot of fun without those two components.

Fighters Megamix was pretty fun back then! It takes a while to get used to the controls though as the game is rather slow-paced and precise (triggering won't work). The drawback could be that playing it vs another person won't be much fun unless he/she has time to learn it.

X-Men seems to be a pretty solid game, but I think a lot of the old Saturn 2D fighters are only praised because they were very true to the arcade originals and graphically superior to other ports. The fact that the PS version received a slating review, makes me wary.

I'd say Fighters Megamix is the best choice of the lot.

^actualy Virtual-on Cyber troopers is an arena game, and its easily played with a normal remote, though the virtua pro remote is best

When it comes to marvel capcom games, they are very tough, but fun and have great rosters, however best with the VP which is an arcade style remote

Decided to go with fighters megamix, partialy cause of the roster, and because of the tons of options

If you can find Saturn Games and can afford them, since many of them are pricy, just go with whatever you can afford and get a hold of honestly. I haven't bought Saturn games in awhile. Most games that have PS1 alternative are often like three times more expensive for their Saturn Versions.

If you can find Saturn Games and can afford them, since many of them are pricy, just go with whatever you can afford and get a hold of honestly. I haven't bought Saturn games in awhile. Most games that have PS1 alternative are often like three times more expensive for their Saturn Versions.

well in the case of the marvel capcom games, the PS1 ports were total trainwrecks, also finding a general, but slighty upper teir saturn game relitively complete for 25-35$ on amazon actualy isnt that hard

well in the case of the marvel capcom games, the PS1 ports were total trainwrecks, also finding a general, but slighty upper teir saturn game relitively complete for 25-35$ on amazon actualy isnt that hard

I do tend to avoid things like fighters and racing and such like that, but yes that I do know that some versions are better on saturn than on PS1, but many the other way around as well. More often than not though, I often find games that have multiplatform titles, ones that are on PS1, compared to Saturn and Dreamcast, the PS1 versions are often still cheaper than the Saturn and Dreamcast versions of the same game. Price often is very important to me, thus why sometimes my Saturn collection lacks at times, but it also comes down to motivation. Sometimes, I want this game and the Saturn Games on my wishlist end up getting put lower on the list than other games I may be wanting at the moment.

Heads up - *shameless plug commence*

I'm running a new Saturn review show for the lovely folks at SEGABits - and hey, I could do with some games to review. Any suggestions chaps? Daytona's episode 1, and Episode 2 is likely going to be Fighters Megamix.

Also looking into Virtual On, Gale Racer and Mega Man 8.

Virtual on is suppossed to be great, and is on my to track down list, one of the Marvel capcom series is a must, however stay away from Ironman/XOmanofwarheavy metal, that game makes Megaman look super easy

hmmm what about Panzer Dragoon 1 or 2, or Last Bronx(at least I think thats its name)

Can't say much about Last Bronx, but if you have to choose between Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, get Zwei. Aside from the very iconic first level music from PD, Zwei is prettier and a little more polished.

Just got in Fighters Megamix, cant wait to try it, and I will post my thoughts later.

Also, got a question for others I was wondering about video outputs, I remember hearing that you could use an S-video cable with it, and that its the best output, I think? any info on this?

Also going down to pheonix tomorrow, and hoping to track down some new games ;)

Hmmm, I had a pretty hard time tracking down an RGB-Scart cable for my Saturn, but I think that's a European thing. S-Video is probably the next best way.

I wonder if there's something like the Dreamcast VGA-Box (or an upscaler of some kind) for the Saturn. Because either way you connect the thing, it looks pretty gruesome on large flat-panel TV's...

Hmmm, I had a pretty hard time tracking down an RGB-Scart cable for my Saturn, but I think that's a European thing. S-Video is probably the next best way.

I wonder if there's something like the Dreamcast VGA-Box (or an upscaler of some kind) for the Saturn. Because either way you connect the thing, it looks pretty gruesome on large flat-panel TV's...

mine came with standard YWR, but do you mean that you can use a Normal S-video cable, or a special type?

Also managed to Track down X-men Children of the Atom today for 20$ at a store down in pheonix, case is a bit cracked, and its missing the manual(which I will replace eventualy) but overall in good shape

So who's played Panzer Dragoon Saga? Apparently this game will never get ported, emulated or remade because Sega lost the source code so the only way to get it is to own a Saturn and empty your wallet for a used copy.

So who's played Panzer Dragoon Saga? Apparently this game will never get ported, emulated or remade because Sega lost the source code so the only way to get it is to own a Saturn and empty your wallet for a used copy.

Good luck with that, since a copy is normally $200+

mine came with standard YWR, but do you mean that you can use a Normal S-video cable, or a special type?

I don't remember exactly. I know I've bought one of those, and I'm fairly sure my Saturn came with a regular Scart-cable (no RGB), that pretty much equals YWR in terms of image quality.

From my experience with old consoles/TV's, a fully wired RGB-Scart cable is the easiest and cheapest way to get a very crisp and colorful image. I remember toying around with S-Video, because I heard it would be even better than RGB-Scart, but I've found it only slightly nicer than YWR. For instance, you can clearly see the grid patterns of old fake-transparency effects with an RGB-cable (on old CRT-TV's, if their SCART-connector supports it), but not necessarily with YWR.

I realize this wasn't too helpful. If you don't have a spare CRT-TV, you should probably look for alternate ways of connecting your Saturn. Maybe you can find something there: http://www.sega-16.com/.