Awoo.

Who in the World is Big Meant to Appeal To?

Tara

Wasn't the whole point of Big to be the contrast between Sonic and Tails and everyone else who is always rushing around, and have someone who's more slow and laid back? Big takes everything really slowly and doesn't seem to stress too much about anything. While it's probably true he doesn't have a specific "appeal", he's probably there to provide a contrast (as well as more cynically use the fishing thing).

Speaking of Pokemon, there are a wealth of Pokemon who seem gimmicky who don't have a specific appeal, such as Chatot which is meant to use the DS microphone, being similar to Big in that it's using the console's features and nothing more. However, it adds variety. Big's gameplay style, on the other hand, shouldn't have existed while Chatot is an optional Pokemon most people forget about, but still... I can't remember where I was going with this anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Older players who can appreciate a life-goes-easy character, though he hasn't been done very well

... *sniff*

Well he appealed to me. sad.png

I think he's supposed to appeal to a few groups, his dumb and silly personality is probably supposed to be funny to younger children... it just hasn't been done very well. His laidback and easygoing side is probably set to appeal to people who can't be bothered with characters like Sonic's constant doing-of-things, an older audience perhaps? Again it's hard to say because they kinda screwed it up.

Personally I like to think he was supposed to be a contrast to the more "serious-business" characters like Tails, Knuckles, Gamma etc. and even Amy to a lesser extent who are always doing something dramatic with their cartoon animal selves. He just wants his frog back, man...

Like I said before, he appealed to me for what it's worth for reasons in the above paragraph. He's one of the... surprisingly few ridiculous cartoony animals in the series who is actually fun and not taking himself seriously.

RIP ya... worthless moron.

Edited by Μegatron
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, Big is admirable because he takes things at his own pace. He's one of the background characters that, like Cream and Vanilla (and somewhat the Chaotix), is a bit closer to home than the more out-there main characters. Having characters like him helps balance out things some.

Plus, he's a fun character if/when written well. Other than his gameplay in SA1, why do we hate him again?

"He is a friend, therefore we must hate his existence." - Most logic outside of this forum.

• Thumbs Up 3

Big is cute in his boundless simplicity and obliviousness. He's good for getting a smile out of the audience and easing tension, but that's about it. He's not bad, but he's not particularly great either, mainly because his overwhelming simplicity means there's very little places to take the character without exaggerating him to ridiculous levels a la Chronicles, or abandoning the very simplicity that makes him endearing. Big is probably never going to be that character that makes you misty-eyed or makes you want to cheer for him because that's just not his thing. His thing is: He has a frog, he loses the frog, he goes after the frog, he gets the frog back, he has a frog again. It's a simple story, but not a very compelling one.

Like Verte said though, Big wasn't made to cater to any specific audience (but probably rather to promote Sega Bass fishing or something). He's a character they made because they could make him and they found him endearing enough to devote time and money to, and ultimately whoever latched onto him was simply whoever latched onto him, which is a breath of fresh air compared to the more design-by-committee decisions we've been getting lately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big basically comes across as an adorable cuddly toy. Little kids love him. His fishing gameplay in SA1 was a pain in the backside until you got used to it. Then it was fine. I loved his cameo's in SA2. Didn't Big have his biggest amount of dialogue in Heroes?

He was never an important character. But certainly no worse than Charmy Bee, Cream or Espio.

big-ad1.jpg

.....he's just so cute.

Edited by Sexy Ass -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

He's a ninja that's had no real moments to shine or outright embarrass himself. He just kinda exists, but at least he wasn't drug through the mud like Big was in Chronicles.

I'm going to say that I thought Big was sort of all right in SA1.  Namely, because they wrote his character to be simple, which compliments his slow dialect.

In Heroes, though, he is the most grating character, in my opinion.  His sentences should not be long and intricate, nor should you hear too much of it.  They should be short and to the point and rarely spoken, which they accomplished in the cutscenes, but not so during the gameplay.  Otherwise, his cameos in SA2 were pretty charming.  I haven't played Chronicles, so I don't know how much he bogs the experience in that, but he isn't a totally bad character.  He just hasn't been written well.

Edited by Akito

I haven't played Chronicles, so I don't know how much he bogs the experience in that, but he isn't a totally bad character.  He just hasn't been written well.

If you're curious about Big then for the love of God don't let Chronicles absolutely shambolic portrayal of him besmirch your view of him.

Dude's simpleness was so ridiculously flanderized that his dimness is morphed into outright stupidity and consumes almost all of his interactions. It's ironic when you consider the game's developers expressed desire to actually make him a more 'intelligent' character yet accomplished the exact opposite. Poor Big stands-out as the most mutilated character next to Sonic.

If you're curious about Big then for the love of God don't let Chronicles absolutely shambolic portrayal of him besmirch your view of him.

Dude's simpleness was so ridiculously flanderized that his dimness is morphed into outright stupidity and consumes almost all of his interactions. It's ironic when you consider the game's developers expressed desire to actually make him a more 'intelligent' character yet accomplished the exact opposite. Poor Big stands-out as the most mutilated character next to Sonic.

I've already made a note that when/if I play Chronicles, it should not be used as a model for integral or even good writing of any characters in the Sonic series, with Big being of no exception. =P

I think Big was made to appeal to the same audience as Wario ....

Actually, I heard it was a last ditch effort to include one of Japan's most popular sports in their Sonic game.... Fishing :)

I'm not sure "laid back" justifies what role Big serves. I love laid back characters, in fact when it comes to characters I love this particular trope the best if they end up contributing to whatever medium they serve. Big still feels completely pointless and useless as a character.

From a game play and narrative perspective in Adventure it's clear that he was shoehorned in for the sake of padding the game out and requiring another MacGuffin that isn't readily explained either or even evaluated upon. Not only is his game play a stark contrast towards everything presented in the game but having that particular facet in game play be represented by someone who's essentially a dumb oaf barely helps his cause as being at worst aggravating and at best completely pointless.

I'd almost say he was a perfect representation of Sonic Team themselves in terms of contrived and pointless game decisions - lazy and padded. It's not a matter of catering to anyone's tastes, he's an answer to a question no one asked.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I thought Big just existed to push in a useless fishing gimmick that nobody...NOBODY asked for. It shows because he adds literally nothing to the story, and he comes across as a bad attempt at padding.

It's sad to say, but Big was only created as an attempt to increase the length of the game. A bad one at that.

Edited by DocAzure

Big always struck me as really awkward comic relief.

I always thought he was funny because he's just this huge fucking cat who has no business being in this world full of zippy little animals. Among the drama and world-ending prophecies of SA1, there's just this fat, lazy, pants-on-his-head stupid cat looking for his pet frog. And everything about him reflects that. He has a stereotypical "dumb guy" voice, he's large and clumsy, and he has very little grasp on the gravity of his meddling in the main story. He's just passing through, thank you very much.

Edited by Global Warming in Ice Cap

Man can't a thing just be for fun?

Does everything in a game need to be absolutely vital to be justified? So what if Big isn't necessary to the story! I think his part in it is interesting.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, my argument is, if I want to play SEGA Bass Fishing, I'll play fucking SEGA Bass Fishing.

I don't want to jump into a Sonic game known for, y'know...SPEED, and go fishing.

Edited by DocAzure

Big always struck me as really awkward comic relief.

I always thought he was funny because he's just this huge fucking cat who has no business being in this world full of zippy little animals. Among the drama and world-ending prophecies of SA1, there's just this fat, lazy, pants-on-his-head stupid cat looking for his pet frog. And everything about him reflects that. He has a stereotypical "dumb guy" voice, he's large and clumsy, and he has very little grasp on the gravity of his meddling in the main story. He's just passing through, thank you very much.

I always thought that they could have used that to his advantage.  That could have made some great comic relief, but...

Man can't a thing just be for fun?

Does everything in a game need to be absolutely vital to be justified? So what if Big isn't necessary to the story! I think his part in it is interesting.

...it would have been more fun if his actions actually did have some sort of weight on the story.  Like, his attempts to find Froggy set off something major without him being aware of it.  That would have been hilarious and I wouldn't have minded his presence were that the case.

...it would have been more fun if his actions actually did have some sort of weight on the story.  Like, his attempts to find Froggy set off something major without him being aware of it.  That would have been hilarious and I wouldn't have minded his presence were that the case.

Big's funny attempt to pilot the Tornado 2 and then crashing it was wholly relevant in Super Sonic's story in which Chaos discovers the emerald inside the plane. So saying that he's completely irrelevant to the narrative is false.

• Thumbs Up 4

Big's funny attempt to pilot the Tornado 2 and then crashing it was wholly relevant in Super Sonic's story in which Chaos discovers the emerald inside the plane.

Oh, yes, forgot about that. ^^; But that's still just one scene out of the whole story.