Awoo.

SEGA sample origin discovery thread "Finding the DNA of SEGA's music since summer of 2013!"

spinny

I'm not too sure if Back 2 Back actually sampled from Louie Louie - the resemblance is definitely uncanny, but I don't think I've actually seen a sample from Louie Louie while digging through the rom. Equally, I'm not too sure if Wrapped in Black sampled that Grandia theme. It sounds compositionally similar, but I'd really just scratch that as a coincidence.

Talking about samples, that record scratch we're familiar with from Jet Set Radio (when cancelling graffiti, if I'm not wrong) and At Dawn (you know the one) from Sonic Adventure are from Korg synthesizers - although Sonic Adventure used a Korg Trinity and Jet Set Radio a Korg Triton, looks like the sample rolled over from one synth to the next - a common practice among synthesizer manufacturers.

(Have I said enough times yet that the Triton is responsible for Sonic 4 Episode 1's music by now?)

Sega also apparently handed their musicians access to quite a few sample packs - a sample pack I own contains samples that have not only been used by Hideki Nagamuna, but Tomoya Ohtani, Naofumi Hataya and whoever on earth is responsible for Sonic 3's music.

Most of Sonic 3 is Senoue, I believe. Definitely intrigued by what you mean though - you mean as in the "come on!" and "go" samples from Sonic 3? :o

Haunted Ship from Sonic Rush Adventure samples Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge's Gold Mine theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfpNUEqd4Cs

However the main melody in both of the above is taken directly from this piece, entitled Techno Slam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEkgMIHF_E

The "come on!" in Get Edgy comes from this:

(BTW how do I embed videos and have them start at a certain time?)

• Thumbs Up 1

The "come on!" in Get Edgy comes from this:

(BTW how do I embed videos and have them start at a certain time?)

Use the 'media' tag in the BBCode section.

Anywho, nice. I'll add that to the OP and put that you found it.

Use the 'media' tag in the BBCode section.

Anywho, nice. I'll add that to the OP and put that you found it.

Thanks.

But I wouldn't have found ti if not for "tocksickfocks" on whosampled.com (twotailed on youtube).

Thanks.

But I wouldn't have found ti if not for "tocksickfocks" on whosampled.com (twotailed on youtube).

I think all of these are listed on whosampled right now apart from "ya don't stop ya proceed 'cuz dis is watcha need", but I'm not even sure if that's the origin. Nonetheless, I'll add that all of them are on whosampled apart from the aforementioned one.

I've actually been thinking of adding to whosampled about What U Need sampling Jamaican in New York and Jungle Joyride Day sampling Regal Ruin, but eh...

If anyone here plays DDR, that same sample "Taco taco wheat got a mask on my face" appears on the song Try 2 Luv U by S.F.M.P.

That always bugged the hell out of me.

If anyone here plays DDR, that same sample "Taco taco wheat got a mask on my face" appears on the song Try 2 Luv U by S.F.M.P.

That always bugged the hell out of me.

Hm?

*looks it up*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yjUbyTOSOQE&t=29

...so it does. (kicks in at around 0:30)

That's... really intriguing.

Apparently, the lyrics are "Trip the cracker, tr-tr-trip the cracker cracker, we grab a happa smacka, spectator get down here, livin here"

So Ethno Circus is "Cracker cracker, we grab a smacka spectate", or something similar.

Edited by Super Spindash

Apologies for the double post, but found a new origin.

I THINK WE'VE GOT A HIT RECORD! (sample appears at 0:28)

Now since this doesn't play in the main levels' songs, you may wonder why I posted this. Well, it's exclusive to the Groove Rush jingles, the songs that play at the end of an act. :3

To be exact, this Groove Rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpZcfGB66U

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 4

No, it isn't. As far as I know, the credits on who did what track for Sonic 3 is unconfirmed for the most part.

And yes, the "come on!" sample is found on said sample pack, as well as the "hue" sample from Stardust Speedway, "Understand the Concept of Love" from... you know, and tons of things from Sonic Rush. I'm not too sure if the 'go' sample found in it is the same one, though.

T-the hue sample?

Dammit now you've got me interested. I could do with more sample packs, or at least my brother could.

Actually Can, it's interesting you have the 'hue' sample. Is that the one that becomes the main melody at like 35 seconds in on the Bad Future JP one? If so, that was actually one of the only parts of Stardust Speedway I loved, haha.

Actually Can, it's interesting you have the 'hue' sample. Is that the one that becomes the main melody at like 35 seconds in on the Bad Future JP one? If so, that was actually one of the only parts of Stardust Speedway I loved, haha.

I think you mean the good future.

I think you mean the good future.

I just listened to the Bad Future and it is indeed what I mean, haha.

Starts at 43 seconds in.

Edited by Super Spindash

This would be what hue need. *rimshot*

Was a lazy and quick proof-of-concept, but oh well.

The sample pack's called Skip to My Loops, by the way. I'm not giving any download links though >:U

• Thumbs Up 2

This would be what hue need. *rimshot*

Was a lazy and quick proof-of-concept, but oh well.

The sample pack's called Skip to My Loops, by the way. I'm not giving any download links though >:U

Doesn't really sound the same to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

lazy and quick proof-of-concept

On hindthought, though, I prolly shoulda done a bit more with it before uploading. My bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump! I just saw an advert for Heinz Beans on TV, and I thought the music sounded very, very similar.

There's no doubt about it. It's quite blatantly used as a base for...

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, this is great! I haven't played Sonic Rush so I'm unfamiliar with the music, but I knowing that it's sample-based makes me want to check it out. Reminded me of EarthBound's soundtrack, sure enough.

Here's something I've always wanted to know: without looking at the people credited on a track, how does one go about finding out where a sample comes from? If there are lyrics and they are long enough, I assume you can type them into Google ("bla bla bla" lyrics) and check out the resulting songs, but short phrases, musical tidbits, and noises seem near impossible to track down.

Wow, this is great! I haven't played Sonic Rush so I'm unfamiliar with the music, but I knowing that it's sample-based makes me want to check it out. Reminded me of EarthBound's soundtrack, sure enough.

Here's something I've always wanted to know: without looking at the people credited on a track, how does one go about finding out where a sample comes from? If there are lyrics and they are long enough, I assume you can type them into Google ("bla bla bla" lyrics) and check out the resulting songs, but short phrases, musical tidbits, and noises seem near impossible to track down.

This isn't exactly the best method, considering Right There, Ride On's only vocal samples are quiet voices saying "right there" and "ride on". Most samples are discovered through listening to something completely different and suddenly, BANG! You recognize it out of something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to give this a bump... Ethno Circus' "Cracker cracker we grab a smacka spectate" seems to have another usage somewhere else... Kim-Jin's "Refresh", made for EZ2DJ.

Skip to 1:05 to hear the sample; it's in the background, so you will have to listen really closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tna2FBRw9U

This time, the lyrics seem to be:

Here's another funky flow.

Around the funky when you know.

Comin' at the base real low.

Trip the cracker, tr-tr-trip the cracker cracker

We grab a happa smacka, spectator get down here, livin here.

someting was sidelined

the mics are dead

media takes the rewind

and use them as guidelines

I hit them,

but media breaks too thick

within a mix

can't think

I break him like a toothpick

Compared to "Try 2 Luv U", these lyrics are very different but are clearly from the same voice... surely there has to be an ultimate origin behind this sample; I just can't work out where it is...

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention; both "Refresh" and "Try 2 Luv U" were made in 2004 and 2003, respectively... two years before Rush... long enough ago to use the sample?

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

So... we've looked into a lot of Rush origins, so why not do Rush Adventure too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYTUVskoz8

"Beat, kicks the beat, then I start rockin'!

Beat, kicks the beat, then I start rockin'!

Beat, kicks the beat, then I start rockin'!

Beat, kicks the beat, kicks the rockin'!"

Yes, those are the lyrics. Garbled up versions of this lyric.

"You perpetrate n' wait when it's too late!

Just when I thought, there is no stoppin'!

The beat kicks, then I start rockin'!"

I think this is a pretty famous one, but just decided to add it to the pile in here.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

I thought this moment would never, ever come... but it has.

Ethno Circus, the theme of Mirage Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePg2uZfmRV8

We've known for ages that the intro "dun de dun dun de dun dun dun dun" is sampled from The It's Donnie and the high pitched "UGH!" can be found in its original pitch in many sample packs, including Norman Cook's Skip To My Loops. There has, however, been one unfolded mystery... one about taco meat and mask smackers.

Of course, I'm talking about the infamous "taco taco meat smacks a mask on my face" (or whatever it is this week) sample.

It's from a rap. By a woman.

Said rap is a 2 minute sample on Masterbits' Add Lips sample pack, done by a woman with an extremely vulgar vocab-- some lyrics even include lines like "I put a saddle on your back n' ride that ass".

Trimming it down though, we have our awaited sample. "Trip the cracker-cracker, we grab a macka-smacker, spectate a kidnapper."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJFm-ZLfyh8

Increasing the pitch by 25% and cutting the lyrics to fit exactly to the compressed samples in the Sonic Rush ROM, I was able to make a mockup of the vocals-- without the instrumentation. The "UGH" from Skip To My Loops was kept in for consistency.

Make what you will of this. I'm pretty sure this is the origin of this rap and I'm 100% certain Naganuma sampled from it.

• Thumbs Up 5