Awoo.

SEGA sample origin discovery thread "Finding the DNA of SEGA's music since summer of 2013!"

spinny

As it turns out, the origin of the title vocals for "Wrapped in Black" is actually "Sell Your Soul" by The Watts Prophets, circa 1971. The line is actually "Rappin' black," not "Wrapped in black." Forgot which sample pack we originally thought this was from, but I'd like to know so I can update my Sonic samples document.

I think it was from Skip to My Loops.

• 5 months later...

whoa hey guys this topic exists and was once a thing

Im not so much into this sample research thing these days but I did find a little something I may as well bump this topic up with and classify as the first find of 2016

whooooooo i can't hear you i can't see you im still dreamin still believin IM STILL A BELIEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Well uh I came across a library of Apple loops named "Apple Jam Pack: Voices" and...

"Tom Improv 2" (hey hey heeeey)

"Tom Improv 3" (yeeeeaaaah)

"Tom Improv 5" (oh yeah? boogie? idk what its saying)

"Jax Lyric 8" (jump it up)

"Devon Lyric 6" (i cant hear you i cant see you)

"Tom Lyric 12" (im still dreamin still believin)

"Tom Lyric 13" (im still a believerrrrrrrrr)

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Spinny said:

whoa hey guys this topic exists and was once a thing

Im not so much into this sample research thing these days but I did find a little something I may as well bump this topic up with and classify as the first find of 2016

whooooooo i can't hear you i can't see you im still dreamin still believin IM STILL A BELIEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Well uh I came across a library of Apple loops named "Apple Jam Pack: Voices" and...

"Tom Improv 2" (hey hey heeeey)

"Tom Improv 3" (yeeeeaaaah)

"Tom Improv 5" (oh yeah? boogie? idk what its saying)

"Jax Lyric 8" (jump it up)

"Devon Lyric 6" (i cant hear you i cant see you)

"Tom Lyric 12" (im still dreamin still believin)

"Tom Lyric 13" (im still a believerrrrrrrrr)

don't forget to send me all of them after you convert them so i can find more hiroyuki sawano songs to rip off ; )

• Thumbs Up 1

The sample "The music just turns me on!" featured in That's Enough from Jet Set Radio is from the Mikey Dread song "Saturday Night Style.

(appears at 4:47)

That's Enough also has an odd laughing sample that plays throughout the song. This is from the acapella version of the Peech Boy's song "Don't Make Me Wait."

(Appears at 2:32)

This laugh also appears in the song Metal Scratchin from Sonic Rush

Speaking of that song, Metal Scratchin's vocal sample "Go ahead, scratch me!" is from the Looney Tunes Merry Melody "Scratch Me."

I Like it Like That from Jet Set Radio Future's "You make me feel so good!" is from the Mikey Dread song "Comic Strip".

The sample "I Like it, I Like it!" is from a Speedy Gonzales cartoon, Cattails for Two.

(Appears at 3:17; This is sped up [most likely to avoid any copyright issues] you can find the episode unaltered online)

• 11 months later...

Garageband isn't the true origin of any samples. They all come from PowerFX. Here's the actual origin of that one from Wrapped in Black http://powerfx.com/products/989253260

Also I believe this uses Key Harp 13 aka Nordic Keyed Fiddle 02 in Garageband.

I don't think so, but if anyone has already posted this then oops. (also sorry for bringing back such an old thread)

• Thumbs Up 1

You just cracked my interest in these samples back open! Thank you!

I felt Garageband was such a strange source for professional composers from SEGA to resort to. I'll have a look through more of these samples when I can and see what I can find!

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2015 at 6:32 PM, digirexx said:

The sample playing from the start of Let Mom Sleep pops up on 0:12 Westopolis sped up, maybe from Garageband? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3anK6yGG-E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E7axaAZUno

Has anyone looked into this further? I've looked through a few of the sample packs other stuff here has been found in but no luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Heeeey! So about last year I found the Teknopathetic sample (Stop playin' games) after asking a Japanese indi artist on twitter where he got the sample for one of his songs. Then I guess the forums died like right after or something.
Just to keep the name archived here, it's from Soundscan Vol.18 - Funky Vocals. I can upload the sample if you guys want. There are a few Ollie King Samples there too I think. I'll have to look. 

I've got a few more sample CDs I've been looking through and found a good few in Best Service's voice Spectral, but I'll have to read through this thread and not post any dupes. 

Haha but yo; main reason I'm posting here is wondering if anyone has Masterbits RAPsody they could PM me a link to or something. :9 I'm looking for samples used in BEMANI games (DDR, Beatmania, etc.) and I'm pretty sure there are a good few on there, but it looks like most of the sampling CDs are being totally phased out of the market recently. (Pretty sure you can't get those Soundscan ones anymore) I'd totally buy it, but I guess I totally can't. haha

• 2 weeks later...

the link for the unknown from me drumloop is dead

pls pm on my soundcloud 

my prof is trash i know

• My Emmerdoods 1

Yo. I found this thread a little while ago, and it inspired me to start keeping my own video game sample list. I'm an old hand at this sort of thing, but my background is in samples of actual records, so this was new territory for me. I don't focus purely on SEGA samples, but I do update my list regularly, and I've spotted a few things I suspect anyone reading this thread is probably interested in.

The nordic fiddle/key harp/stråkharpa samples actually originate from the second disc of a sample library called New World Order Journey #2, first published by Sounds Good in 1995. The rights seem to have changed hands several times since then, but PowerFX currently owns them. They were, presumably, later licensed to Apple.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I stumbled across this forum while looking for information on another game I played years back (Frogger 2) and I actually have some answers for the users regarding this sample:

On 7/9/2014 at 9:03 PM, spinny said:

I've never watched Casablanca myself either, sooo...

But here, check what I found inside Kleptomania.

https://app.box.com/s/10v6h6ot8gcfwl6tpq2k

It's that synth loop from Haunted Ship in Sonic Rush Adventure! This pretty little gem is claimed to often be sampled from either Techno Grooves Mach 4's Techno Slam (heard at the 0:53 mark) or Gold Mines from Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge (YT: Gold Mines - Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge OST)

On 7/13/2014 at 1:50 AM, Arcade Child said:

You have no idea how happy I am this source has been uncovered; partially cus I've wanted to grab this to use in a tune myself (what can I say, a really nice synth loop), and partially because now maybe, if this information spreads, people can stop attributing it to Techno Slam. Because I can't be the only person that noticed Haunted Ship's use of the sample wasn't backed by the acid bassline from Techno Slam and got really tired of people assuming it was sampled from there.

A the very least people have moved on from assuming "IT SOUNDS LIKE X, THEREFOR Y COMPOSED IT" mentality that was rife in the golden era of "MJ DID S3". Christ, back in those days you'd have thought most people weren't aware of the concept of being inspired by music you like and making music similar to it in style and (very rarely, and in most cases sheer coincidence) in composition.

This sample was taken from an obscure house track by a producer called Frankie O Generator, the track is 'Dance to the rhythm' - originally released in 1990 on DFC:

DFC are known for their house/deep house releases which is how I originally came across the sample.

This was quite the sampled track, showing up in eurodance/techno music in the early and mid 1990's:

Peace out

• 1 year later...

808 State's influence on Sonic CD is HUGE. Aside from the oft-cited Pacific State, San Francisco clearly influenced Wacky Workbench:

And the various Collision Chaos acts are inspired by Lift from the same album (as well as parts of D.A Garden):

Empire became Tidal Tempest AND Oil Ocean. Which would explain why I always found those two so similar haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yo, Sorry for awakening an old topic, but i might have added a bit to jeh jeh rockets samples. and IT IS NOT FROM A SAMPLE LIBRARY but it is definitely important so hear me out 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vSXHu_TEkB6ve80KShw5BIBq1iujAJVb is a sample taken from jeh jeh rocket and https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WDvtSzv6Zqj7Yz6p5A3gKeapnkrhH9e7 is the beginning of the 12" Mix of Fatboy Slim's Star 69 pitched up by 400 cents and sped up a tiny bit

so theres two reasons i believe this is straight ripped from the song 

1: Fatboy Slim is a big inspiration to hideki

2: Fatboy samples from other songs and not libraries

although if anyone can identify the song fatboy used originally that would be great

• 3 weeks later...

Yo if anyone here is still looking at these posts how did you find

the soundscan sample cds

ueberschall big beat & easy listening

Best service hallelujah 

I can’t find them anywhere and I want to use some sounds in my music

• 2 months later...

not an exact sample but i think it is very curious!  Could this be an actual source of inspiration for Flying Battery!!??  :) :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2017 at 11:49 PM, mi-com said:

Yo. I found this thread a little while ago, and it inspired me to start keeping my own video game sample list. I'm an old hand at this sort of thing, but my background is in samples of actual records, so this was new territory for me. I don't focus purely on SEGA samples, but I do update my list regularly, and I've spotted a few things I suspect anyone reading this thread is probably interested in.

The nordic fiddle/key harp/stråkharpa samples actually originate from the second disc of a sample library called New World Order Journey #2, first published by Sounds Good in 1995. The rights seem to have changed hands several times since then, but PowerFX currently owns them. They were, presumably, later licensed to Apple.

This is absolutely correct, I played those "Nordic Fiddles", originally and correctly described as Swedish Nyckelharpa. om 1992-94 for Sounds good. Today I can find my loops all over the place, which is kind of fun. Got payed OK in 1995, haven't got e penny from Apple....

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, nobody write here since almost 6 months...

But well, i found more samples:

Humming The Bassline:

The stab comes from the song "Peter Piper" of "Run-DMC"

Some snare scratch comes from "Coldcuts Kleptomania" as "Scratch 11"

...and the "wah wah" guitar is from "Zero-G Datafile 2" as "Track 72 Sample 11"

Let Mom Sleep: The guitar stab that starts at "Would you stop play with that radio" is from "Datafile 2" as "Track 73 Sample 9"

Yellow Bream: The ethnic flute is "Datafile 2: Track 51 Sample 11"

Also... the speech at the start and the end comes from "Masterbits Rapsody" at The Tracks "Shouts!" and "Nostalgic Vocals"

Sneakmen: There's a barely audible guitar that is from "Zero- Datafile 2: Track 73 Sample 05"

Everybody Jump Around (This has a LOT):

Zero-G Datafile 3:

Track 84: "Four! Shout" (Sample 6)

Track 85: Sample 2 "Ready to get funky!"

Track 86: Say yeah! (Sample 1) and response (Sample 2)

Track 87: the "say yeah scratches" (Sample 8)

Track 89: "1, 2, 3, 4!" (Sample 1)

Track 49: "Hey!" (Sample 06)

Track 39: Barely audible "a-hah" (Sample 11)

Track 18: Barely audible Break (Sample 6)

Best Service - Hallelujah:

"VOCDRUM2.WAV": The "Identify the beats" Beatbox

"RAPHRASE10.WAV" The "Jump around now, and get down" vocal

I'm gonna keep this search of samples active...

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2015 at 5:26 AM, Dizcrybe said:

I just remembered; we still haven't determined the true origin of the bassline in Get Edgy.

I still say it's from here:

This is probably a dead forum but I just wanted to know if anybody so far has found out where the bassline from Get Edgy is sampled from.