Awoo.

SEGA sample origin discovery thread "Finding the DNA of SEGA's music since summer of 2013!"

spinny

I'm also hearing the "breath" sound from the Sonic 3 mini boss theme.

Well, lookie what I found. Another interesting drum sample, this time in Sonic Advance's "Secret Base Zone Act 1" (patch 127, bank 0 in the game's soundfont).

https://app.box.com/s/6vbf68wq97ltz3x4n8vt

I either haven't heard the source for this or don't remember it, so if anyone recognizes it, let me know.

Or maybe it's the same one as in "Knuckles Boss" and I'm just too tired to notice.

Could we get a source on those samples?

The Unleashed sample is from Garageband and is blatantly used in Arid Sands Day. The Generations one is used in Stardust Speedway JP's remix and comes from Spectrasonics' Stylus RMX.

So I've never really dug up many samples on my own (and quite frankly I think Spinny is some sort of superhuman for all of his finds), but I did uncover something from Sonic CD.

This is from Datafiles CD 2. Sound familiar?

https://app.box.com/s/g7inuzcqeau2yu80hizt

I actually knew this one, myself, but I've never actually talked about it because I was still slightly uncertain! Thanks for the confirmation and compliments~

You know, I've noticed that things tend to be forgotten or ignored quite easily on this thread. For instance, the "Beardsman Ska" sample in Sonic Rush Adventure, the link between Shadow the Hedgehog's "Death Ruins" and X-Men Legends' "Magma's Danger Room Test," and of course, the "Too Fast" / Pepsiman connection.

oyjb1pd.gif

the link between Shadow the Hedgehog's "Death Ruins" and X-Men Legends' "Magma's Danger Room Test,"

I honestly think that's about as much of a link as the similarity between Techno Slam and Haunted Ship.

Finds of these samples being used in other songs does not really confirm much at all past the fact that it's a sample, not something SEGA made themselves and that they pulled it out of a sample pack somewhere (which, like I said before in this topic, can undoubtedly be confirmed as the case by now), most likely the same one the other users of the sample did.

The only time I find knowledge of other uses of a sample to be handy is when it comes to the point of outright questioning artists that have used the sample about what sample pack they pulled it from (if they did) and then link it to where SEGA pulled it from.

Example... 

56c3441c55b3cdf2f7fb48005b61d4ea.png

b531ca7947d70700e1f2160920ad00eb.png

It was a tough search I'd like to forget. :U

the "Too Fast" / Pepsiman connection.

And personally, I don't hear a resemblance between the two. Mind pointing as to what instrument/time has a similarity?

And personally, I don't hear a resemblance between the two. Mind pointing as to what instrument/time has a similarity?

The main melodies of each song, plus the interesting coincidence that the Pepsiman marketing campaign only existed in Japan. Then there's the title, which could refer to Pepsiman himself, although I doubt it.

The main melodies of each song, plus the interesting coincidence that the Pepsiman marketing campaign only existed in Japan. Then there's the title, which could refer to Pepsiman himself, although I doubt it.

It's not so much the main melody as much as it is the bassline, and that coincidence is just that: a coincidence. The title referring to Pepsiman is especially reaching.

It's not so much the main melody as much as it is the bassline, and that coincidence is just that: a coincidence. The title referring to Pepsiman is especially reaching.

Either way, I think it's something to note.

Yeah, to believe the title Too Fast is referring to Pepsiman is a really large stretch. Naganuma tends to name his tracks after either their vocals (Let Mom SleepRock it On, Sweet Soul Brother), the scenario they're used in (Grace & Glory, That's Enough), their instruments (Humming the Bassline, Moody's Shuffle) and sometimes even their tempo, with Sneakman being a combination of "sneakers" (running shoes) and "Walkman".

Too Fast's title is referring to nothing more than the simple fact of the song running at (as far as I can gather) a bpm of 186.

Well, getting back to a less controversial Sega sampling-related thing, I was wondering if anyone has any/all of the vocal samples from "Run Through the Speed Highway."

Well, getting back to a less controversial Sega sampling-related thing, I was wondering if anyone has any/all of the vocal samples from "Run Through the Speed Highway."

https://app.box.com/s/f8hunnm7yz2n1nwd5rqd

Heey Hoo AD in the RAPsody sample pack, sixth sample to play.

The "touch this" and "right on" I might actually have too, but I've never really been fussed on those two so I may have not noticed. I'll have to check sometime.

One more thing, I was hoping to get the isolated vocal samples from "What U Need" (mostly the "Ya don't stop, ya proceed, 'cause this is what ya need" and "Feelin' hot, hot, hot").

"Ya don't stop, ya proceed, 'cause this is what ya need"

https://app.box.com/s/y0wgxnb09ah2o8c7sm2f

351_COOK on the Skip to my Loops sample pack, Naganuma turned it up in about 4 octaves I believe... but I'm not certain. Use the Rush song for reference if you need to.

"Feelin' hot, hot, hot"

https://app.box.com/s/5cdttfd9ic7stvl0ixm4

423_COOK, also from Skip to my Loops. Only the first "hot" is used in the Rush song though, going by the samples stored inside the game.

I've never watched Casablanca myself either, sooo...

But here, check what I found inside Kleptomania.

https://app.box.com/s/10v6h6ot8gcfwl6tpq2k

It's that synth loop from Haunted Ship in Sonic Rush Adventure! This pretty little gem is claimed to often be sampled from either

(heard at the 0:53 mark) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfpNUEqd4Cs.

However, nope. All three stem from this clip, as proven by the clearness of the loop and no basslines or distortion (as heard in Techno Slam), other notes (as heard in Gold Mines), or drum loops and speed/pitch modifications (as heard in Haunted Ship).

Recreation of the Haunted Ship use here. https://app.box.com/s/jta275dbqe9866zqtvcd

You have no idea how happy I am this source has been uncovered; partially cus I've wanted to grab this to use in a tune myself (what can I say, a really nice synth loop), and partially because now maybe, if this information spreads, people can stop attributing it to Techno Slam. Because I can't be the only person that noticed Haunted Ship's use of the sample wasn't backed by the acid bassline from Techno Slam and got really tired of people assuming it was sampled from there.

Also, as the subject did briefly come up again; when you look into sourcing samples in videogame tracks, you need to get I to a different mindset of sample usage. It's wildly accepted that early electronica and hip hop artists did sample from songs; in fact, check out DJ Mag's ongoing but very sporadically released series Game Changers, where electronica musicians give information about a well known, game changing (hence the name) song of theirs, and the details of their work ethic and process around the time. Both Phil Hartnoll of Orbital fame and Norman cook pretty explicitly state they sampled things from copywriter protected works in the tracks Chime and Praise You, but can't tell you what/play those segments because it could land them in a lot of legal trouble. That's the big elephant in the room most people forget when sampling comes up; legitimate music technique it may be and when done right it can really sell a track, but outside of royalty free sample packs, sample CDs, and stock sound/music archives and sites, it's something of a black art due to the minefield of intellectual property and copyright laws that surround the craft. So, outside of sample CDs and packs and all that good stuff, sampling isn't employed as much as a technique, especially when it comes to soundtracks- game, movie, cartoon, television, any sort of soundtrack. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's more the exception then the rule. Especially in cases like Techno Slam, where if we are indeed supposed to buy that that is the source of the track, that the composer would have had to strip the elements not present in their tune out of the original sample- and seeing as I can't imagine a fairly obscure techno track from the early 90s being recorded on anything bigger then a four or six track at best, I'd imagine that would be a next to impossible process. Which is why it's always best to assume, if a loop or sound effect or vocal turns up in more then one game track, it's probably from a wildly used source like a sample CD then from anywhere else.

A the very least people have moved on from assuming "IT SOUNDS LIKE X, THEREFOR Y COMPOSED IT" mentality that was rife in the golden era of "MJ DID S3". Christ, back in those days you'd have thought most people weren't aware of the concept of being inspired by music you like and making music similar to it in style and (very rarely, and in most cases sheer coincidence) in composition.

Edited by Arcade Child

"I'm not saying it never happens- Sonic CD's sampling of Work That Sucker To Death is pretty clear evidence of that (unless that one was also taken from a sample CD and I just haven't done enough research)"

SEGA sampled that from the Datafiles vol 2 pack, same place where the "it's a tummin selecta" and guitar riff were taken from.

At the very least people have moved on from assuming "IT SOUNDS LIKE X, THEREFOR Y COMPOSED IT" mentality that was rife in the golden era of "MJ DID S3". Christ, back in those days you'd have thought most people weren't aware of the concept of being inspired by music you like and making music similar to it in style and (very rarely, and in most cases sheer coincidence) in composition.

Actually, it has been proven that Michael Jackson at the very least did compose the music for Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, and Launch Base Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgnUa1v8uA

Actually, it has been proven that Michael Jackson at the very least did compose the music for Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, and Launch Base Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgnUa1v8uA

Ice Cap was confirmed to be Brad Buxer's work.

Yeah, I remember hearing a little while back that some of the Sonic 3 music was confirmed to, at the very least, be composed by some of the composers/producers that worked with Michael Jackson. Which is kind of ironic considering most of the early evidence for the case was literally just "X sounds like Y so confirmed." Doubly so when Hard Times was discovered.

Alright, here's a weird connection. You'll quickly notice the similarities between the first bits of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAPbS3nyd8E

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRDLnG_3tMY

Okay, when I was initially typing the text that would have gone here, I just thought it was a neat coincidence, but listening to them again, things slowly began to come together. The guitar, the bassline, even the percussion, it's actually the same, with slight variations.

The patterns are indeed the same, but I don't believe that's the same guitar we're hearing. Windmill Village 1 has more 'twang' to it, to my ears at least. 

Similar patterns between songs running on the same or a similar tempo/key is quite easily done. An example of such could be the 'connection' between Endless Mine and City Escape 1.

Similar patterns between songs running on the same or a similar tempo/key is quite easily done. An example of such could be the 'connection' between Endless Mine and City Escape 1.

In this case, I think both songs may have used the same base, but made their own variations upon it. Of course, the Viridian City theme existed long before Sonic Rush Adventure, as the video here is actually the fourth version of the song (Pokemon Red/Blue/YellowPokemon Gold/Silver/CrystalPokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, and finally, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver), with this one being based on the G/S/C version. Despite this, though there may not be a direct connection between the Windmill Village themes and the Viridian City theme, it's safe to assume they're both based on the same thing, whatever that may be.