Awoo.

Archie's Mega Man - Discussion Thread

Jeffhog

Time to resurrect this topic with a preview of Mega Man issue 48.

[MegaMan_48-0.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-0V.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-3.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-4.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-5.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-6.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MegaMan_48-7.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

MEGA MAN #48
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Ryan Odagawa, Gary Martin, John Workman and Evan Stanley
Cover: Brent McCarthy
Variant Cover: Art provided by Capcom

The showdown to end 'em all is finally here! "The Ultimate Betrayal" Part Four: The cataclysmic conclusion! Dr. Light built Gamma to be the definitive answer to all global disasters—unfortunately it looks like all of its power might just be turned against poor Mega Man! As the battle rages, the entire castle stronghold begins to collapse. How will anyone get out of this one alive—and will they at all? Don’t miss the epic conclusion to this Mega Man 3 game adaptation storyline, featuring new cover art from fan-favorite Brent McCarthy and a special Capcom art variant!

On Sale Date: 4/15 | 32-page, full color comic | $3.99 U.S

Read More: Mega Man #48 Preview | http://arcadesushi.com/mega-man-48-preview-archie-comics/?trackback=tsmclip

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Got MM #49, so peeks ahoy! (With commentary!)

20150518_203418.jpg

Hm. Guess we finally know who was talking to the bandaged Wily in that peek into the future from Dawn of X.

20150518_203443.jpg

Well, that certainly sounds familiar. Clearly his true identity is Fishface from TMNT. (Sorry. Two Mr. Xs popping up at the exact same time in things that I'm into made that joke hard to resist. :P)

20150518_203631.jpg

~Cliiiiiifhanger~

20150518_203346.jpg

Not gonna lie. Seeing this made me smile.

20150518_203507.jpg

20150518_203530.jpg

20150518_203602.jpg

20150518_203616.jpg

This sequence was really well done and touching. It really shows that there are both sweet and bittersweet victories in deciding to become a hero...

20150518_203719.jpg

Mr. Bill Freiberger takes a step into Mega Man's pond! Captain N Mega Man should TOTALLY become the Mama Robotnik of this book.

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow, they're not really trying hide that Mr. X is a future version of Xander, are they? I'm rather unimpressed if that's going to be the case because:

1) Having both characters have "X" in their names doesn't/won't make it a clever twist.

2) Xander's not exactly an interesting villain to pull this kind of thing well. Mostly because despite what he brings to the comic regarding fearing robots overthrowing humanity, it kind of doesn't work if we recall his backstory.

He willingly chose to combat a Robot Master despite direct orders not to engage him. And it was a known fact by that point that Wily was behind the uprising so any blame he gives/gave Elec Man shouldn't solely fall on him since robots aren't exactly considered genuine citizens of the law anyway because they're so easily reprogrammable and therefore won't/can't be held accountable for most of their actions. It's like blaming a gun for shooting you instead of the guy who actually pulled the trigger. He made a dumb choice, and that seems to keep getting glanced over for the sake of making him a "understandable" antagonist. I could actually forgive his brand of craziness if he perhaps had a panic-induced nightmare based off the incident during his recovery at the hospital only to be shown his cyborg-eye and it just made him straight-up paranoid about robots from that point onward. But since that never happened, it feels like he's just like, "Grr, I hate robots now!" just because of one incident with them that was kinda-sorta his fault in the first place. And it takes him just now, a future version of him mind you, to finally confront the man responsible for Elec Man's attack and call him a monster. Congrats future-version-of-Xander, you've managed to point your finger at the right person this time, and it took you how long exactly?

*A-hem* Sorry, I'll just cut that rant short and get to what I do like seeing. Seeing Rock so genuinely sad to see the MM2&3 Robot Masters deny his second chance. Can't exactly argue their reasoning since they built to specifically destroy Mega Man, but you gotta feel bad that his nobility and kindness towards most of his foes isn't always going to win over some people and practically breaks down seeing Quick Man deactivated. It's a pretty big gut-punch. But at least we see a reason for the Robot Museum to exist now. Cool. Always thought it was odd such a thing existed in MM7 and MM&B.

EDIT: Oh, and Xander just had to throw in a "I thought more people would support my cause by openly fighting it" when making his case to Wily. Xander, you fucking took no regard for human lives when trying to achieve the last two schemes during the Spritus Ex Machina arc and that New Year's Eve issue (#21), of course people are less likely to support your cause after something like that. It's as you said, "Whatever it takes!" That kind of shit won't make you popular unless you actually try to resort to methods that won't result in human causalities. And by asking Wily to do what he does best anyway, that clearly shows you aren't learning from your failures and seriously don't expect he'll stab you in back in some way by the end. In fact, I hope that happens now, since something or someone needs to sucker punch you with common sense and who better than Wily, who has proven to be more wicked and ruthless than any robot you consider a threat.

Yes, my dislike for the guy is subtle, I know. Though I don't necessarily hate him, mind you, I just find him underwhelming as a character/villain despite the interesting issues he brings to the world of Mega Man. Like I'm supposed to understand that he may be right, but personally I would've liked him better had he be given a more sensible backstory that doesn't involve scapegoating robots for what he or Wily did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got MM #49, so peeks ahoy! (With commentary!)

20150518_203507.jpg

"Quick on the draw"? Sounds like somebody has

on the mind again.

What is that, the 3rd reference now or something?

While mentioning The Megas, someone wrote a story relating to the song.

Wow, they're not really trying hide that Mr. X is a future version of Xander, are they?

it could be xander but it could also be dr wily for all we know that said if it is xander as mr X then why on earth is he helping sigma the leader of almost all of the maverick forces in the future take over

plus I don't really see how having a world of humanoid animals getting fused up with the megaman universe thanks to the efforts of a group of rouge robots that might not even get seen by the humans of the megaman universe teamed up with a group of sinister six wannabe zeti's that are able to mind control robots with their minds exactly says.

will get people to revolt agenst robot kind when all that is going on

Either way, it's too dumb to be classified as a "twist."

Yeah cause Dr.Wily being Mr.X in MM6 was such a great twist. I don't know about you but I find this to be interesting mainly because in the game Wily had no reason to be Mr.X(ihe was just wearing a fake beard and sunglasses and called it a day and everybody fell for it) didn't make anymore sense that he would continue to shared after he captured the robot masters. At least with here were getting some context on who that character is and we can see that Wily is going to betray future xander and hijack the company  

Hence why I said it'd be dumb either way. Wily or Xander, I'd much rather have Mr. X be a separate person entirely for change who isn't either of them in a disguise. Though having something happen to the real Mr. X just so Wily can take his mantle so MM6's plot can still effectively happen.

OK, so I don't often go in here on account of me wanting to avoid spoilers (because I rely on getting the graphic novels because I'm British and do not have any form of Android/smartphone device, so I'm pretty much 1 year behind everyone else), but something comes to mind here:

So Roll's implying that the deactivated Robot Masters are going to be part of the Robot Museum we see in Mega Man 7, since they don't want to serve any non-battle related roles.

So... what does this mean for Cossack's bots (we see Skull Man, Ring Man and Pharaoh Man there)? Or the Mega Man 6 group? Or hell, Guts Man - one of Dr. Light's own robots? Does this mean that at some point in the future Dr. Light will just arbitrarily shut down one of his own robots and stick him behind glass? Why?

Also, Mr. X as a future Xander? Ech, I never liked the guy, he's just not interesting. "Grr, I hate robots, the end."

OK, so I don't often go in here on account of me wanting to avoid spoilers (because I rely on getting the graphic novels because I'm British and do not have any form of Android/smartphone device, so I'm pretty much 1 year behind everyone else), but something comes to mind here:

So Roll's implying that the deactivated Robot Masters are going to be part of the Robot Museum we see in Mega Man 7, since they don't want to serve any non-battle related roles.

So... what does this mean for Cossack's bots (we see Skull Man, Ring Man and Pharaoh Man there)? Or the Mega Man 6 group? Or hell, Guts Man - one of Dr. Light's own robots? Does this mean that at some point in the future Dr. Light will just arbitrarily shut down one of his own robots and stick him behind glass? Why?

Also, Mr. X as a future Xander? Ech, I never liked the guy, he's just not interesting. "Grr, I hate robots, the end."

Comixology also works without a smartphone, you can read the purchased comics on the computer through its website.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump the thread for bad news, but it appears that... this comic is ending (though maybe not permanently?) in November, with Issue #53.

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/16/exclusive-archie-actions-mega-man-53-solicitation-reveals-the-en/

Thoughts? Me, I think it's such a shame that it's ending at all, much less so soon after Worlds Unite ends. I certainly hope that it won't be a permanent thing...

Okay, I want to know what the hell is going on. I don't care for Mega Man, but even I know this was really last minute. And just like Sonic Boom, it was cut one issue after the crossover.

Couldnt even get to the Mega Man 4 arc? 11 games in the main series and they only managed to cover three games, thanks.

So much for ever seeing Bass.

To say this makes me more than a little annoyed is an understatement.

The Mega Man series is quite frankly one of Archie's best, if not the best. If this goes, then I'm quite frankly ready to call Archie complete and utter idiots. Not only is Mega Man regularly praised for his stories, but his popularity is likely going to increase this year thanks to A. Smash Bros, B. Mega Man Legacy Collection, and C. The new cartoon series.

Archie, this better be some kind of misconception or mistake because if you cancel Mega Man, I will use all respect for your company.

Fuck you Archie. Just fuck you.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Couldn't even get to the Mega Man 4 arc? 11 games in the main series and they only managed to cover three games, thanks.

So much for ever seeing Bass.

Or to see Blues actually become Proto-Man.

Or to know for sure who Mr. X is.

Or to see the Stardroids come to Earth.

Yeah, fuck this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or to see Blues actually get to become Proto-Man.

Or to know for sure who Mr. X is..

Or to see the Stardroids come to Earth.

Yeah, fuck this.

Dont forget to get Quint

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe Capcom wants it cancelled so they can focus on the universe the show will be creating?

Or maybe it just sells horribly.

Edit: Never mind then [emoji14]

Ian said that he had enough stories to last him until 2023.

At this rate it'll last until 2033.

It's slightly reassuring it's just a hiatus and not straight-up cancelled via Sonic Boom comic. At least that's what I think they're making it sound like. But even still, it's baffling that they're doing this at all unless an actual explanation for going this route.

I can't help but wonder if the Kickstarter getting cancelled is causing Archie to divert their funds a bit to cover their relaunch stuff and Mega Man and Sonic Boom, which do respectably, have to be put to the side because of that?

At least the book isn't cancelled; speaking as someone who isn't a Mega Man fan, this book has been very good just as a solid all-ages action-adventure story.

Theory:

Penders' case

The CEO legal case

The kickstarter failing

Archie right now is financially near the red