Awoo.

Archie's Mega Man - Discussion Thread

Jeffhog

Not particularly happy about the smaller trim-size. Doesn't work that well for Sonic, I don't think it'll do many favors for Mega Man. That said, these collections sound like a steal, otherwise, and I don't own the earlier issues, so I might hold out for these. Hopefully the print quality and paper stock is good, and the binding doesn't make these books a pain to read.

If they're already planning new collections/releases for next Summer, there's always the possibility the book will be back around or after then.

Well, I'd suggest going for the regular trades. I got trades for all the missing issues I got and they are super high quality. Well worth the price, in my opinion. Now, I got them before this whole paper change. Seeing as there aren't any recent re-prints of said trades though, I assume the paper quality will be high. Speaking of which though, did the paper quality in the trades really decrease that much? Because I find it baffling that they'd use the same paper as the Super Specials and Digests like some people claimed they had. And I recall looking at an image from Comic-Con where.. Evan Stanley I think was signing Sonic Vol. 2 The Chase, which supposedly had this drop in quality. And from the image, the quality looked fine. I mean, it didn't look like that crummy newspapery, almost see-through with washed out colours type that the digests have.. 

I think it pretty much is the same material or something very similar, it certainly felt like it. I'd have to check my trade collection to check. 

So this came out of the blue. Thanks for leaking stuff again, Amazon. 

9781627388733.jpg

So, apparently Archie is going to re-release their Mega Man series in omnibuses dubbed "Master Editions". Since Mega Man is manga-y, these will be manga sized and have 3 graphic novels in one. Current listing is on Amazon for $25 and has a release date for May 24, 2016. Knowing Archie though, this will either get delayed 5 times or get cancelled. :V I think it's a cool idea. A nice cheap way of getting the comics if you haven't already, though I would've preferred if they were full sized. 

Source: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/08/archie-mega-man-master-edition-due-next.html 

Do you know if it will be like the Marvel Omnibus' meaning hardcover and in color or like the Sonic Legacy Collections??

I don't really mind the series getting a reboot because I can live without Archie's original characters but as long as the stories are good what's the difference?? Instead of going into X and the other Mega Man universes I think they should have just stuck with the classics. That's just me though because I like the classic series the best.

Do you know if it will be like the Marvel Omnibus' meaning hardcover and in color or like the Sonic Legacy Collections??

Judging by the price, it will for sure be in colour. But it won't be hardcover, I can almost guarantee it. Archie stopped making hardcover graphic novels, and it'd be weird to make them for Mega Man, especially at the smaller sizes these are going to be. Even their Archie 1000 page digests are softcover, so.. I wouldn't expect anything to change for Mega Man. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd suggest going for the regular trades. I got trades for all the missing issues I got and they are super high quality. Well worth the price, in my opinion. Now, I got them before this whole paper change. Seeing as there aren't any recent re-prints of said trades though, I assume the paper quality will be high. Speaking of which though, did the paper quality in the trades really decrease that much? Because I find it baffling that they'd use the same paper as the Super Specials and Digests like some people claimed they had. And I recall looking at an image from Comic-Con where.. Evan Stanley I think was signing Sonic Vol. 2 The Chase, which supposedly had this drop in quality. And from the image, the quality looked fine. I mean, it didn't look like that crummy newspapery, almost see-through with washed out colours type that the digests have.. 

With regards to the paper change, no it isn't that bad. It's just not a high glossy kind that works well with how the books are colored. That said, I think the current collections and the single issues are fairly comparable, just with a noticeable blending of darker colors and blacks. However, that's not too bad. My copy of "The Chase" (Sonic the Hedgehog vol .2) actually looks a lot better than I expected it to. My problem with the reduced size for these collections, along with the higher page count, is that I'm worried it will be lousy newsprint they've used for things like their magazines. I hope to be proven wrong. If it's similar to what's been in their recent trades, I can accept that.

I might try to pick up the regular trades, then. Last I heard, volume 1 is out of print, and I'm not sure if Archie will be phasing out the rest of them in favor of a new format, so I might look into buying the others if/when I get the chance.

Judging by the price, it will for sure be in colour. But it won't be hardcover, I can almost guarantee it. Archie stopped making hardcover graphic novels, and it'd be weird to make them for Mega Man, especially at the smaller sizes these are going to be. Even their Archie 1000 page digests are softcover, so.. I wouldn't expect anything to change for Mega Man. 

You posted this twice. I tried to like both posts and it said "You are not allowed to give this user reputation". What does that mean??

P.S. Never mind the second post deleted.

You posted this twice. I tried to like both posts and it said "You are not allowed to give this user reputation". What does that mean??

Must be a glitch on your end. :/ The post shows up once for me and I got your like just fine. 

Some context. All of the Archie Action GNs have taken a hit in paper quality. I have The Chase, and Scourge Lockdown, and both have the lower quality paper. I've also heard Mega Man's Redemption GN also got the lower quality paper although I'm not sure about if Archie's main GNs have it as well.

But being totally honest, this really should have been hardcover. It's a 300 page omnibus, and while it's good for new fans, it isn't appealing to long time fans of the comic. Why should they upgrade to these collections? They likely already have the higher quality GNs of the first three GNs, and the Omnibus isn't higher quality or nicer looking to make long time fans want it. Think about it. Comic Collectors would likely love getting these stories in a big hardcover collection that would look very nice on a shelf. A omnibus is meant to be the ultimate version of these books. The best of the best version. 

Now if these use the higher quality paper, then It could be worth getting, but if it's just going to be low quality paper that's currently being used, then no thanks. I can't imagine trying to read 300 pages of low quality paper. 

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

Some context. All of the Archie Action GNs have taken a hit in paper quality. I have The Chase, and Scourge Lockdown, and both have the lower quality paper. I've also heard Mega Man's Redemption GN also got the lower quality paper although I'm not sure about if Archie's main GNs have it as well.

But being totally honest, this really should have been hardcover. It's a 300 page omnibus, and while it's good for new fans, it isn't appealing to long time fans of the comic. Why should they upgrade to these collections? They likely already have the higher quality GNs of the first three GNs, and the Omnibus isn't higher quality or nicer looking to make long time fans want it. Think about it. Comic Collectors would likely love getting these stories in a big hardcover collection that would look very nice on a shelf. A omnibus is meant to be the ultimate version of these books. The best of the best version. 

Now if these use the higher quality paper, then It could be worth getting, but if it's just going to be low quality paper that's currently being used, then no thanks. I can't imagine trying to read 300 pages of low quality paper. 

I'll say this, the paper quality in volumes like "The Chase" or "Scourge: Lockdown" is not that bad. It lacks a gloss that's found in the single issues, and it's lighter than the previous stock used in earlier trades. However, it's not quite this terrible presentation I expected it to be, like the magazines are. Other than blending of darker colors, which isn't present in the single issues because of the gloss, the quality didn't take that big of a hit. It is a downgrade for sure, but it's comparable to the paper used in the monthlies (minus the gloss). So long as these upcoming Mega Man collections don't turn out like the "Best of Sonic" Ultimate Collection (or whatever it's called--I recall seeing this in a store and the print quality was severely compromised to keep a book with that high of a page count affordable), it should be fine. That's my only concern at this point.

I also think it's worth noting that it seems these new collections aren't aimed at long-time readers, but new ones. I guess that is kind of lousy, but if you own the original issues and/or the trades, then you're pretty much set already. I'd like something nicer, myself, but it's doubtful Archie will ever release something akin to IDW's recent TMNT hardcovers.

Oh yes I'm definitely buying this. Although I'm still mad at Archie for constantly delaying the Sonic GNs. Amazon says Waves of Changes is slated for November. What the fuck!?

Yeah expect this within in 2 years. I really wonder what the heck is going on at Archie if they're having a hard time releasing graphic novels. Which is weird because they usually have been decent with that

There's speculation that IDW is taking up some of the licenses Archie has due to Archie having money troubles. I can dig that, they'd probably let Ian continue where he left off.

There's speculation that IDW is taking up some of the licenses Archie has due to Archie having money troubles. I can dig that, they'd probably let Ian continue where he left off.

I know it's speculation, but I'm curious where'd you hear this?

Just asking because I'm a little doubtful Archie is putting Mega Man on hiatus to transfer the rights or something. Though, odds are, IDW probably would let Flynn pick up where he left off if that came to pass like you say.

Speculation or not, I still reallllyyyyy hope that's not the case. IDW comics are crazy expensive to get overseas. They don't even have their own comics app for buying them digitally like Archie. Makes me feel if Mega Man was to get acquired, he wouldn't be as easily available either. And I know Comixology is an option, but they don't really have all of the IDW comics there..

Besides, the only reason I ever got into the Mega Man comics was because they were published by Archie. So they were cheap and easy to get overseas. If IDW actually ends up getting Mega Man, I'll most likely drop out of reading the series for a while. I still highly doubt this is the case.. I mean, didn't Vincent.. whatever his name is.. The new guy in charge of the Archie Action series say that the lineup will have a lot more stuff in the future? They can't just drop Mega Man like that.. Right? 

• 2 weeks later...

Y'know, I always assumed the RMs in the Robot Museum were statues or animatronics, and not the real deals because:

A. It's not as stupid as leaving the real ones out on display when people like Wily are around.

B: Why did Wily not bother with reactivating Snake Man and Heat Man etc.

C: The whole idea and generally dark undertones of it kinda clash with the general light-hearted Saturday Morning Cartoon tone of the classic series.

Also, am I the only one uncomfortable with the way this is? Not really from an in-universe point, but from a meta perspective. It comes off as saying "All these cool characters with personalities and likeability and stuff? Yeah, they're disposable, once their game's adapted, you can just kiss bye-bye to 'em and stop giving a crap about 'em." Comes off as having the same mentality that went through the heads of the writers of The Transformers: The Movie and its gunning down of the cast. And yeah, I guess that mentality is kinda meant to be the point in-universe and how it's kinda the main schtick of Mega Man 9, but still.

Plus if Worlds Collide takes place in Mega Man's future then how can Guts Man and the other first-gen RMs be there for the finale when this hints they'll be exhibits/scrapped :U

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I always assumed the RMs in the Robot Museum were statues or animatronics, and not the real deals because:

A. It's not as stupid as leaving the real ones out on display when people like Wily are around.

B: Why did Wily not bother with reactivating Snake Man and Heat Man etc.

C: The whole idea and generally dark undertones of it kinda clash with the general light-hearted Saturday Morning Cartoon tone of the classic series.

Also, am I the only one uncomfortable with the way this is? Not really from an in-universe point, but from a meta perspective. It comes off as saying "All these cool characters with personalities and likeability and stuff? Yeah, they're disposable, once their game's adapted, you can just kiss bye-bye to 'em and stop giving a crap about 'em." Comes off as having the same mentality that went through the heads of the writers of The Transformers: The Movie and its gunning down of the cast. And yeah, I guess that mentality is kinda meant to be the point in-universe and how it's kinda the main schtick of Mega Man 9, but still.

Plus if Worlds Collide takes place in Mega Man's future then how can Guts Man and the other first-gen RMs be there for the finale when this hints they'll be exhibits/scrapped :U

The way it's shown, I think Guts Man and such are just assuming what they want done to them when their service is over, and it's not going to happen for a very long time, or by the time Mega Man 5 or 6 happens, The original 6 Light Masters will be shut down, only for Wily to kidnap them for the MM7 Adapt, which causes Light to believe that A. Shutting them down is a bad idea, which is why he allows them to remain operating after MM7, and has the Robot Museum shut down, or B. They get badly damaged and Wily fixes them through the power of deus ex machina, meaning once defeated again, the original six can go back to working as normal.

It also sets up MM9, if Guts Man is taken by Wily and it's proven that the Robot Museum isn't secure, it could causes Concrete Man and by extension, the other Robot Masters to go against Light and join up with Wily so they aren't taken offline.

On another note, I'm not a big fan of the art in this issue, especially on Mega Man.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Mega Man is going hiatus anymore. Sonic Boom 11 (Which came out after they announced that the series will be going on hiatus) has an ad for a 1 year subscription to the series.

I don't think Mega Man is going hiatus anymore. Sonic Boom 11 (Which came out after they announced that the series will be going on hiatus) has an ad for a 1 year subscription to the series.

A typo. Archie's Mega Man Store only has one subscription up, for the last three issues before hiatus. The print issues simply haven't updated the subscriptions page.

So, Megaman #53 is out and, strangely enough, it leads to a Megaman 4 adaptation that probably we'll never read. But the off-panel is hilarious, especially compared to the lackluster Worlds Unite's attempts at comedy.

GYcnzPf.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 3

So something really bothers me - everyone's all talking about Mega Man 4 being adapted... yet according to Rock of Ages, Mega Man: The Wily Wars/Mega Man II should be happening before then - since there, Mega Man is surprised that Dr. Cossack attacked him (and therefore Mega Man hails from a time before 4). So does this mean that by the time WW/II rolls around, Mega Man just forgot that he fought Dr. Cossack one time?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got MM #54 and leave it to Ian to squeeze in one last little unexpected addition to his Mega Man universe before hiatus:

1zxnxnq.thumb.jpg.26db2371309ae9b70c8677

Vesper Woman, based on one of the original concepts for Mega Man 9's Hornet Man, Honey Woman!

Very cool. Always neat to see stuff like this implemented into an official product.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, I actually like the idea of giving Quake Woman a younger sister. It could tie into her whole emotion recovery thing

That's basically Dr. Lalinde's idea in creating her from one of Thomas' unfinished concepts: To provide more "familial interaction" to help restore Tempo to who she was. Vesper likes to "bug" her, though. She even teases her over talking to Blues in private with the classic "Is he your boyyyyyyfriend?" bit. XD

• Thumbs Up 4