Awoo.

Archie's Mega Man - Discussion Thread

Jeffhog

My main annoyance with the crossover on the Sonic side of things was that it started and left the main story on a vital plot point. The same thing happened with Mega Man but it was nowhere near as worse.

Yeah, it was hard to fully enjoy the crossover when you felt antsy about the whole Sally and Break man thing being resolved. But I still enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jeez, Wily's really made of steel if he can survive getting lord knows how many bolts sent through his head. But then again this is the guy who's gonna survive getting crushed by a collapsing ceiling.

Also that pupil makes Ra Moon a little bit more threatening.

Jeez, Wily's really made of steel if he can survive getting lord knows how many bolts sent through his head. But then again this is the guy who's gonna survive getting crushed by a collapsing ceiling.

Also that pupil makes Ra Moon a little bit more threatening.

He's not getting electrocuted, but I dunno if you've read it so I won't say what Ra Moon is doing exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, this is my favorite interpretation of Mega Man ever. And this is coming from someone who has never beaten any of his games, never revered the guy as much as the entire NES generation (too busy enjoying Sonic on my Genesis) and have only enjoyed the character through his crappy American cartoon. 

From what I dsicovered from other sites, the regular Mega Man is not exactly an interesting character (which is probably why so many people prefer X) but the way Flynn is writing him, you really feel for the guy. He doesn't to fight, but he got no choice to fight against other robots that he would consider his brothers or friends. Every time he cracks a smile, it feels like he's hurting inside...which of course makes for great drama. Add to the ever entertaining (and surprisingly nuanced) Dr. Wily, and the whole "robot/human integration" problems, and you have such a great comic!

Which is sad then, that this comic isn't selling as much as it should and that it needed a X-over with Sonic to provide interest :( Rocky cannot get a break!

I gotta say, this is my favorite interpretation of Mega Man ever. And this is coming from someone who has never beaten any of his games, never revered the guy as much as the entire NES generation (too busy enjoying Sonic on my Genesis) and have only enjoyed the character through his crappy American cartoon. 

From what I dsicovered from other sites, the regular Mega Man is not exactly an interesting character (which is probably why so many people prefer X) but the way Flynn is writing him, you really feel for the guy. He doesn't to fight, but he got no choice to fight against other robots that he would consider his brothers or friends. Every time he cracks a smile, it feels like he's hurting inside...which of course makes for great drama. Add to the ever entertaining (and surprisingly nuanced) Dr. Wily, and the whole "robot/human integration" problems, and you have such a great comic!

Which is sad then, that this comic isn't selling as much as it should and that it needed a X-over with Sonic to provide interest sad.png Rocky cannot get a break!

The comic is not on risk of discontinuation. That idea spread from Ian saying it could use more sales, which is something entirely different.

Basically referring to not getting enough sales for an X comic so far.

Edited by DarkLight

Basically referring to not getting enough sales for an X comic so far.

Oh I guess I "pew-pew"ed prematurely tongue.png

Well of course, I don't think they even gotten to the point narratively, where they need to switch to X yet.

When Dreamwave had the MegaMan license and was pressured to feature X and Zero, there was a tie-in to regular MM. Maybe Flynn can finally elaborate on how the events of Mega Man leads to X.

• Thumbs Up 1

He said in an interview he won't unless Capcom tells him "ok this is the official bridge gap between classic and X". On the topic on X I would love to see an X book. Maybe he can find a way to make X6-X8 to make sense

Oh I guess I "pew-pew"ed prematurely :PWell of course, I don't think they even gotten to the point narratively, where they need to switch to X yet.When Dreamwave had the MegaMan license and was pressured to feature X and Zero, there was a tie-in to regular MM. Maybe Flynn can finally elaborate on how the events of Mega Man leads to X.

He said in an interview he won't unless Capcom tells him "ok this is the official bridge gap between classic and X". On the topic on X I would love to see an X book. Maybe he can find a way to make X6-X8 to make sense

People buy mega man so we can have an X book

Edited by Dejimon11

I would rather not see a bridge between classic and X. Rockman Online seemed like it was going in that direction and it looked just as terrible as I anticipated it would for years.

But that's for another topic. I'd be definitely interested if the comic eventually made its way to X and eventually the Zero era.

I would rather not see a bridge between classic and X. Rockman Online seemed like it was going in that direction and it looked just as terrible as I anticipated it would for years.

But that's for another topic. I'd be definitely interested if the comic eventually made its way to X and eventually the Zero era.

Care to explain. I mean, what else can we do? Do another tired-and-true-but-kind-of-annoying time-crossed crossover. Because  Rock just came from another crossover, this particular plot device has been used and abused already (most recently thanks to Marvel; Age of LOLtron) and the only new little ripple another time travel plot would do is make Rock question why would Doctor Light replace his most beloved creation with something better.

That would make interesting subject for a crossover, but again, that would need a bridge between both Megas to work.

At the rate the comic is doing, over extending the plots from each game, we're not going to see X and Zero for a loooong time (probably not even in print). That is why I suggested the back-up idea Dreamwave did: They had the Maverick Hunters in their own adventure but they implied something happened in the OG that caused the events in their time to happen....then Dreamwave collapsed and they had to rush a crossover so that happened.

What I'm suggesting is running concurrent to each other, with the back-ups doing some world building for the future while dropping hints of future events that the Original Mega Man would face. That is how I would bridge the two without ever having them meet.

Why do people assume the comic won't be running in the time it takes to get to X? The crossover has given the series new fans.

Because, if Flynn continues on the current pace he has and given that he still has 7 GAMES LEFT, print would have mostly died as a medium so future issues would most likely be downloadable.

Also realistically speaking, fans don't mean s#&^!. You can never tell when a beloved book supported by a strong fan base gets the chopping block because it's not selling what the company wanted to sell.....Secret Six, Nextwave, Blue Beetle, Captain Britain and MI-3, Venomsad.png  (Oh Venom...why do you have to leave us so soon? WHYYYYYYY?!)

Now, in a cynical fashion molded by bitterness: How many of those fans you described really showed to support the comic book adventures of MegaMan and how many actually just came to see him and Sonic fighting? 

Given what happens (and didn't since the ending made it moot timeline-wise) in #20, there's bound to be more games adapted than just the remaining numbered titles.

-MMII.

-MM: The Wily Wars. 

-MM: Wily's Revenge.

-MMV.

-MM&B.

-Rockman and Forte: Challenger from the Future.

Excluding the fact that we're seeing a Super Adventure Rockman adaptation, there's also the possibility of seeing more original story arcs like Time Keeps Slipping or Spiritus Ex Machina.

So to me, just rushing through the entirety of Classic Mega Man just so we can get to X seems a tad short-sighted when the comic has done a great job so far establishing it's world and characters.

EDIT: But to be fair, none of what I say is set in stone and could be proven wrong at any point. For all we know, the next arc could be fusion of SAR and MM3 or some other way to integrate plots and characters without doing it in separate adaptations. Hell, maybe introduce some characters early like the Cossacks and Auto. Whatever goes.

Edited by DarkLight

There more games he's planning to adapt like mega man soccer, the one that had dr light and wilys names in it some game gear games etc. I think he's planning on adapting every single mega man game there is in the classic series and plus there original stories yeah. As for X the idea is that it's going to be a spinoff series like how sonic universe is to the main sonic comics

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this could be a pretty interesting arc, then again it is based off Super Adventure Rockman, which was known for being the darkest game in the series.

Yeah, this could be a pretty interesting arc, then again it is based off Super Adventure Rockman, which was known for being the darkest game in the series.
A game that Inafune himself regrets.

This looks like its going to be a very interesting arc and I love the new artist

Same here

I would argue, that Archie can do dark, but figure it wont be that bad, and will proably turn out better

A game that Inafune himself regrets.

care to explain to those of us not invested in Light Industries? Why is this game, with a much more serious plot and interesting anatagonist, is not loved by Inafune? Is it because he didn't design the characters? He can be kind of a brat about that.

Keiji Inafune considers Super Adventure Rockman to be one of the worst titles of the original series due to the overall darker tones it takes in comparison to other entries in the series, like helicopters with human pilots being taken down by Wily.

Courtesy of Mega Man Wiki.

EDIT: Or what Deji says since he puts it better.

Edited by DarkLight

care to explain to those of us not invested in Light Industries? Why is this game, with a much more serious plot and interesting anatagonist, is not loved by Inafune? Is it because he didn't design the characters? He can be kind of a brat about that.
The game was being developed at the time when Capcom decided to branch out the mega man franchise by selling it to the lowest bidder. He Inafune didn't have much involvement with the game but he was assigned to finish it when the project leader quit. IThe reason why he hated it is because humans died on screen, roll gets affected by the emp wave because she's a gir(this is fans criticism)l and if you get a game over there's a cutscene that shows rolls death "The ultimate unspoken rule about making a game that is geared towards children is that you simply cannot kill anyone, but here you have military helicopters falling out of the sky and people dying in droves. If it had been up to me, I would have at least made it so they all 'got away safely' via parachutes or something. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, Roll dies... and to top it all off, the whole world is destroyed! I was like, 'Did they really need to go that far?!'" The game also got poor reception that he had to apologies for the quality of the game