Awoo.

Archie's Mega Man - Discussion Thread

Jeffhog

Just as an addendum, what Dejimon11 posted is from Megaman Official Complete Works, so there's no doubt about if it's true or not.

Edited by Supaidaman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see, that's very depressing. Because other than perhaps gameplay reasons, that sounded like a very very very compelling Mega Man game. His reliance on repetition and safe tactics is what ultimately got Capcom to ask him to reboot Mega Man with X. You think Inafune was all but ready to buy the franchise from Capcom for himself. Maybe Mighty No 9. has been in the making long before he got fired from Capcom.

Alright, so Mega Man #29 is out today! To those who've read it, what are your thoughts on the first issue of the Blackout - The Curse of Ra Moon arc?

I think they messed up with the shipping. Some subscribers haven't gotten theirs yet or are just getting it and my comic shop who usually have it early didn't but its on the archie app so I don't know

Inafune purposefully designed X so that he could put dark elements into the series that he simply did not want to with classic, which is why he disowned Super Adventure Rockman, and with good reason. With that said, if you consider the fact that Mega Man is heavily influenced by Astro Boy, then it's not that farfetched to imagine people dying in the classic series. However, that's not the angle Inafune wanted, and killing off Roll is about as fucking retarded as killing off Robotnik in Shadow's game. Doesn't matter if it's an alternate ending, it's just an unwritten fucking rule that that's just something you do not do.

No doubt Archie will probably handle the SAR story better than Capcom did, though. Obviously Roll is not going to die.

• Thumbs Up 4

Inafune purposefully designed X so that he could put dark elements into the series that he simply did not want to with classic, which is why he disowned Super Adventure Rockman, and with good reason. With that said, if you consider the fact that Mega Man is heavily influenced by Astro Boy, then it's not that farfetched to imagine people dying in the classic series. However, that's not the angle Inafune wanted, and killing off Roll is about as fucking retarded as killing off Robotnik in Shadow's game. Doesn't matter if it's an alternate ending, it's just an unwritten fucking rule that that's just something you do not do.

No doubt Archie will probably handle the SAR story better than Capcom did, though. Obviously Roll is not going to die.

Hell, it's already off to a good start.

Roll was disabled in the comics because she was accidentally dealt a critical blow by Break Man/Blues moments before Ra Moon's global EMP reached Mega City, rather than shutting down completely once the wave struck because she was a girl robot.

To those not knowing this, I can only wish I was joking. See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBs6kTUDZ2A

At around 7:56 (English captions on), the wave affected her first and not Mega Man in Super Adventure Rockman because she's a girl robot.

A+ storytelling, Capcom. Great job. Applause. Gag.

So I say Archie's doing a pretty good job so far. I'll give my thoughts on this issue in a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, it's already off to a good start.

Roll was disabled in the comics because she was accidentally dealt a critical blow by Break Man/Blues moments before Ra Moon's global EMP reached Mega City, rather than shutting down completely once the wave struck because she was a girl robot.

To those not knowing this, I can only wish I was joking. See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBs6kTUDZ2A

At around 7:56 (English captions on), the wave affected her first and not Mega Man in Super Adventure Rockman because she's a girl robot.

A+ storytelling, Capcom. Great job. Applause. Gag.

So I say Archie's doing a pretty good job so far. I'll give my thoughts on this issue in a bit.

*sees 10 seconds of video*

Oh wow, that QUALITY animation. The COOL early 90's J-Pop song. Rockman's EXPRESSION!!

Capcom: Keeping it classy since 1981.

icDAk.gif

Keep it classy.

Edited by FalconKick

Oh since we're on the subject of Ryan Jampole and cool images, he was selling this over at Baltimore Comic-Constep_brothers_by_ryanjampole-d6kjpex.jpg
I managed to get a print before the last seconds of closing time and I had to close down my table. Maybe at NYCC, I can get that commission I wanted to get in the first place.

So how long will it take until a bunch of young Mega Man fans start sending fan-art of Beck in confusion?

And in serious speculation, do you want a Mighty No 9. comic? 

Edited by FalconKick

And in serious speculation, do you want a Mighty No 9. comic? 

I don't even know how Mighty No. 9 is supposed to behave.

That, and I'm pretty sure it's not up to Capcom to decide that since MN-9 isn't their product. 

Edited by DarkLight

Hey guys a new cover somebody post these I'm on my phone http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7043

2dh74uw.jpg

The critically acclaimed Mega Man series continues with the dramatic, action-packed epilogue to the 'Blackout: The Curse of Ra Moon' storyline in, 'Unplugged'! The battle against the sinister alien being known as Ra Moon has ended, and Mega Man's final fate remains in doubt! With major repairs looming, and Rock's future as a super fighting robot in question, Dr. Light must work to restore our hero to his former glory. This may be a job that even Dr. Light can't handle, but at least he's got some help from his trusty pal Dr. Wily. Wait! Why on earth is the evil scientist helping to save the Blue Bomber? And how far will Dr. Wily go to remain free? Featuring cover art from Brent McCarthy and a special variant cover from Mega Man artist supreme Patrick 'SPAZ' Spaziante!

... Wily being given access to Mega Man's inner workings?

Sounds to me like foreshadowing to finally introduce Bass in-canon.

• Thumbs Up 4

That, and I'm pretty sure it's not up to Capcom to decide that since MN-9 isn't their product. 

It doesn't have to. Archie can just ask Inafune themselves....though realistically, yeah, it will be very awkward to have a comic based on a concept that already has comic from Archie.

Btw, the green in the eyes of that cover has me thinking....the prelude to Zero?

Hmm. I initially thought they were going to wait until MM7 to introduce him, but hey, we've already got characters established prior to their debut games. Auto, Pharaoh Man, the Cossacks, and more recently Plant Man.  

However, if Bass does come earlier than MM7, I think he should at least be saved after Blue's eventual betrayal and Ballade's sacrifice since someone will need to fill the 'rival' shoes or if something happens to Quick Man. Although having both Ballade and Bass bicker/fight about who's better could be amusing since they do share similar personality traits.

EDIT: Wow, not only does Mega Man look kind of creepy on that cover with the eye, but it looks like #32's solicit was no exaggeration regarding the 'not coming out unscathed' part.

Edited by DarkLight

EDIT: Wow, not only does Mega Man look kind of creepy on that cover with the eye, but it looks like #32's solicit was no exaggeration regarding the 'not coming out unscathed' part.

I reminds me of Mega Man's crackhead phase from the MM2 arc. Ahh, man that was my favorite arc for that reason alone

Shame I can't find any pictures of his crazy face:(

mind explaining zero to me, I know little outside the comics(archie), and part of MM1,2 and X

I just made the zero reference because I assume the green energy coming from Rock is some form of Zeronium, the energy mineral that Wily eventually used to create Zero. But this is just baseless speculation at this point. Maybe it's Bassinum after all.

I just realised that this comic is the only thing not making me hate Capcom like everybody else. If wasn't for Capcom coming up with idea for worlds collide the sonic comic would of been in a complete mess for 4 more months with all the legal issues. So if anything thank them just this once

It was Capcom of America's idea at least. Unlike Capcom of Japan, they have more faith in the franchise.
I guess still credits given where credits due.

I guess still credits given where credits due.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't, just that there two branches of Capcom that have two radical views on the series in general. Giving Capcom as whole credit is bit of a misconception. Yeah, I'll give props to Capcom USA for approving the license for a comic and initiating the crossover, but it's still not going to be much regarding the state of the games besides Mighty No. 9 if Capcom of Japan sees no potential for the franchise at any point. And something tells me it'll take more than a hypothetical boost in sales for the comic to happen. Hate to sound so pessimistic, but there has to be some truth to it.  

EDIT: Okay so breaking off that weird tangent, regarding the variant....

1299003_ful.jpg

This is both weird and hilarious at the same time.

Edited by DarkLight

Nobody is saying you shouldn't, just that there two branches of Capcom that have two radical views on the series in general. Giving Capcom as whole credit is bit of a misconception. Yeah, I'll give props to Capcom USA for approving the license for a comic and initiating the crossover, but it's still not going to be much regarding the state of the games besides Mighty No. 9 if Capcom of Japan sees no potential for the franchise at any point. And something tells me it'll take more than a hypothetical boost in sales for the comic to happen. Hate to sound so pessimistic, but there has to be some truth to it.  

EDIT: Okay so breaking off that weird tangent, regarding the variant....

1299003_ful.jpg

This is both weird and hilarious at the same time.

1) Don't count out CoA. After all, they are the ones who are currently in charge of the Street Fighter license, and look how that turned out (despite my personal preference towards Third Strike). If Capcom of Japan really doesn't want anything to do with the license, they could have handed it over to CoA, and they could have at least done a half decent attempt at a nostalgic cash grab. Overall, I think the whole thing surrounding Mega Man is simply Capcom being butthurt over Inafune and his statement and they're holding the franchise back out of spite. They have similar outlook to Platinum Games, the former Clover studios: Hideki Kamiya explissively told Capcom never to put Dante on a Marvel Vs Game...the minute he leaves, Dante is in MVC3 and then re-tooled by Ninja Theory. 

Capcom: Never forgive, never forget.

2) I usually love Spaz covers, but something about this is so...meh. The composition could be better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mega man: first you stole my spot in street fighter x tekken now your trying to steal my comic why are you doing this?

Bad box art MM: this is my destiny

Mega man: raaagh

Also just want to point out Ian said there are people at Capcom who are trying to make the fans happy and saying that Capcom as a whole hates mega man is an understatement

Edited by Dejimon11
  • Thumbs Up 1