Awoo.

The Simpsons Discussion Thread

Danj86

Oh hey, there's another thing they're hyping up only to be a quick 2 minute ratings trap. Not like we had that before right?

-Looks at the recent season opening episode-

I do hope they get some pretty damn amazing soundalikes. Characters like Flanders, Skinner, and Mr.Burns are all extremely well known for their voice.

No, Harry quit of his own accord.

Who knows really, remember his statement was a lawyer's quote not his own and not only that he was having contract issues, Matt Groening said he was offered the same offer as everyone else.

They could say he quit but this could be a case of "well you can't fire me because I quit!!" they may have already been planning on firing him anyways.

It's a couch gag. Damn good one, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecYoSvGO60

Also, Rick froze and probably killed Ned Flanders, who's VA just quit the show.

they knew

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay that's a good thing! Right?...

Nope. It means the show is finally creatively bankrupt enough that no one involved gives even the slightest shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though it's IGN, they still have some information:

Al Jean, executive producer and showrunner of The Simpsons, is scratching his head over why Harry Shearer is walking away from the hit show.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Jean expressed confusion over Shearer's decision to depart.

"I'm a little baffled. The other five [voice stars] signed on May 1 and we offered him the same contract everybody else got offered, but he didn't sign so we started reading like we were going to and [were] waiting to see if he wanted to come back or not. Then about a week ago TMZ somehow got ahold of a story that [an unnamed voice actor from the cast] wasn't returning. Then last night Harry tweeted something to the extent that he was leaving the show — implying he wasn't wanted — which isn't true. We made him an offer and we're once more saying, '"Do you want to come back like everybody else and work hard and care about the show? Great.'"

According to Jean, Shearer and his co-stars have the freedom to work on other projects, too.

"He said he wanted to do other projects, which makes no sense because we've always let the cast do all the other projects they want — they have great free time. So I don't really know what he's up to [or] what he's thinking. I hope he comes back. The other misinformation that has been spread is that it would jeopardize these two seasons we're doing up until 625 episodes. That's for sure a pick-up from the network, and everybody else is pay-or-play — so we'll make those episodes. If he chooses not to come back, we'll recast. We will not kill his characters; that's one way to go. I'm sure there will be plusses and minuses with that and, at the moment, I'm hoping he comes back. But if he doesn't in a reasonable time, we'll have to do the other options."

Jean went on to clarify that because of the way the production schedule works, they've still got a few months to sort out what to do next.

The executive producer used the interview as a way to ask the talented voice actor to reconsider.

"Please call [executive producer] Jim Brooks and tell him what you want. And if you don't want to do this show, tell him, but explain what's on your mind. Will the show go on without him? It will."

Shearer would be reportedly walking away from around $14 million, and Jean has confirmed Shearer's roles (including Mr Burns and Ned Flanders) will be recast.

Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/15/the-simpsons-producer-baffled-by-harry-shearer-situation

Well, good luck on your future endeavors Harry if you leave!

Just hope we can get some good replacement actors if his characters stay. (Which most if not all probably will.) 

So, I tried watching one of the newest episodes yesterday ("The Kids Are All Fight"). It was painful and unfunny as always, and they're still relying a lot on referencing back when the show was actually good, too. It's as if the writers are constantly saying, "Hey, remember when this show was both funny and endearing? Weren't those the greatest times?", without actually trying to be as good as those classic episodes because they simply don't care. They're making millions of dollars whether they deliver a great episode or not..

Sad that such a once-great show has to continued to be tarnished for several more years to come. But, oh well. The damage to its legacy is irreparable now anyway.

It's a couch gag. Damn good one, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecYoSvGO60

Also, Rick froze and probably killed Ned Flanders, who's VA just quit the show.

they knew

Damn that Rick and Morty couch gag was perfect! XD

Speaking of Ned's VA leaving, the show actually joked about it back in 1999.

Speaking of the news, that's quite huge for the series in general. No doubt all the characters he voiced will be recasted, but still it is a shame to see a longtime VA of the series go and I wish him the best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Um....its literally going to be in a Treehouse of Horror episode.

The headlines probably should've mentioned this so people wouldn't look at them without reading the actual article and assume the Simpsons crew are being like "BART WILL DIE IN REAL ACTUAL SIMPSONS CANON".

Meh. It's still a bit of a ratings trap. Seeing the iconic character of the series getting killed is sort of a big deal, even in the non canon episode.

Still, considering what they did last year with the whole idiotic Krusty's dad thing, they'll probably hype this up like fuck just to get people to watch it.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the description, it sounds more like Bart will be casually killed off in two seconds flat, and the rest of it is all just Sideshow Bob.  More clickbait than ratings trap, I think (though certainly not without an element of the latter).

Its a TOH episode, everyone gets killed off in those. seriously Ryan calm down they'll just hype it like every other Treehouse of Horror episode.

But it is cool that Kelsey Grammer is going to be in a TOH episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its a TOH episode, everyone gets killed off in those. seriously Ryan calm down they'll just hype it like every other Treehouse of Horror episode.

But it is cool that Kelsey Grammer is going to be in a TOH episode.

Seemed like it. but heres your ratings traps of the season:

‘Simpsons’ EP Al Jean on Homer’s 2016 Vote, Another Movie & the Star He Still Wants (Variety)

~In the premiere, it’s discovered after all the years Homer has narcolepsy and it’s an incredible strain on the marriage.

~Homer and Marge legally separate, and Homer falls in love with his pharmacist, who’s voiced by Lena Dunham. We’ll have cameos from the other women from “Girls.”

~We have an episode coming up where Lisa befriends a homeless woman who turns out to be an incredible singer. The woman’s voiced by Kate McKinnon, but the singing is done by Natalie Maines.

~In another episode, Spider Pig makes his return. Sideshow Bob appears in a segment, and we finally see him do something he’s wanted to do for 25 years. 

~And we have an episode based on the film “Boyhood.” It’s a flashback/flashforward about Bart. We go to various points in his life and his life to come which I think came out really well.

On the topic of Homer and Marge getting divorced-it's simply a ratings stunt that probably won't last longer than a few episodes, and it's a really desperate one at that. Reeks of Family Guy's "Brian Griffin Dies" stunt from last year, and I'd bet all my cards they same executives behind that idea are behind this one too.

When your ideas to add or regain additional viewership for a show start to interfere with the show's entire essence, you know it really is time to start dismantling the animated sets.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't watched The Simpsons in so many years that I just don't care about anything that happens in later seasons anymore like Homer and Marge's divorce. We know it  won't last long anyway and they're only doing it for more views, see Brian's death in Family Guy. =/

I'm not bothered by the concept itself. I just wish they didn't announce stories like this. I mean, before an episode airs there's going to be a synopsis, sure, but this looks like they...kinda just announced the plot point and that was it? 

Also I'm pissed that Lena Dunham is guest starring because I reeeally don't like her for various reasons

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fox has addressed the rumours about Homer and Marge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha wow it got soo bad they had to make an animation short, we should trend baseless rumors more often!

• 2 weeks later...