Awoo.

Suggested Meetups Subforum

Tani Coyote

Look again I think you'll find you did since Nepenthe moved your post there ;)
Correct. Nepenthe put it there. Not me ;) This is getting off topic anyway.

No bother, i'll just leave you off the OP then.

On topic of sub forums for commissions...

I already asked, they said no and pinned a commission thread instead.

Doubt you'd have ever got round to adding me anyway at this rate XD

How exactly is it redundant?

What I meant by redundant is that artists who posted in the thread, say, 6 months ago may no longer be taking commissions, or their prices may have changed, or their work may have improved. So the original post in that thread can be redundant, in relation to individual artists, in many ways.

*edits* although in fairness to you it sounds like you did what you could by asking for a commissions sub-forum and tried to make the best of things when that was refused

But like I said that's not such a problem with a meet megathread because meet dates come and go...

Edited by HelenBaby

Why was my Artist Commissions thread example picked out of literally everything I said and ran off with like this? After all, I also listed the Anime and Manga thread as an example of a thread that can host multiple conversations at the same time without there being mass outcry or confusion at the fact that multiple conversations are being hosted. Essentially, if two people can talk about an on-going manga and another three people can talk about an on-going television show, then clearly two people from Los Angeles can plan a meet-up in the same thread that three people from Jacksonville can plan a meeting. There is literally no reason a single thread cannot host this idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Artist Commissions thread was picked out of those mentioned because its the only one I have experience of to be honest... Don't mean to be rude or anything but I don't think it was a particularly good example, for reasons already stated. But I imagine the other threads mentioned probably work alot better.

I'm still in favour of the original idea of a sub-forum, I feel it allows meet-ups to recieve more emphasis, you know?

But like I said a single thread is better than the current situation

Edited by HelenBaby

My major concern with such a forum (or sub forum) would be it's use; our forum members are spread globally with the largest chunk centered around London (or within a short flight's distance). While I know that you would use the forum for your regular meet, Helen, I'm not convinced it will get much use outside of that event.

However I would be up for giving it a trial run starting a couple of weeks prior to your meet if you would be interested (though I'm not sure when your event is!). It's a bit too late for it to coincide with Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom. smile.png

As an aside though, any larger or more regular meet ups can also be pinned in an appropiate forum as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

As it stands I think a megathread could serve any meetups' needs at present. They're infrequent enough it would work just fine if stickied, as discussion would most likely not talk over each other. Boom and SoS get their own threads and they're both pretty massive; as it stands I can only think of Sonic London and Sonic Boom West as regular meetups and the latter's inaugural meetup is in about five weeks.

It really all comes down to need... if a topic of discussion gets big enough, it gets its own thread... and if there's enough of such threads, they'd get their own forum, too.

So a stickied megathread, looking over everything, is the best solution as it stands for now.

Regardless of what decision is made, of course, you can rest assured I'm liable to post frequently there.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

It really all comes down to need... if a topic of discussion gets big enough, it gets its own thread... and if there's enough of such threads, they'd get their own forum, too.

By that logic, all the 500 page threads should have their own forums.

Maybe if TSS was segregated pre-2008 wipe then probably we could have a separate site for meetups....

I digress. I rather spend hours using the search bar to find something that Is almost impossible to find than quickly browsing a simple title on a couple of pages.

I want to announce my next meetup on SSMB in the coming days if possible...

*edits*

Ok, so I've made a topic about it :

If a sub-forum gets made please move it there
If a mega-thread gets made please merge it into there

Edited by HelenBaby

• 6 months later...

I'm bumping this to make an appeal for consideration by the administration.

I would like to request the be pinned. It is updated fairly regularly with all news regarding events as I receive them (from time to time other individuals also post meetup info), and I think it would help increase exposure and turnout for any such events.

Sonic Boom 2013 had the weight of SEGA behind it and had several hundred attendees, and so it's understandable why it is pinned, but it was half a year ago, and so I'm making a formal request Boom 2013 be unpinned and the Meetup Megathread take its place. This would go a long way towards helping the cause by increasing awareness.

Obviously the biggest events (Boom and probably Weston Super Sonic, Sonic Revolution, and Sonic London given the size involved) would probably warrant their own thread, but a pinned megathread would be good for all the smaller gatherings.

Please consider. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1