Awoo.

Nintendo Direct - Wii U/3DS [August 7, 7AM PT/4PM CEST]

Carbo

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/364747733938085889

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 5m

Watch a new #NintendoDirectNA on 8/7 at 7am PT for updates on #WiiU and Nintendo #3DS games launching this year. http://spr.ly/6016Zv4Y

Join Mr Iwata & Mr Shibata on 7/8 at 4pm CEST for a #NintendoDirectEU w/ updates on #WiiU & Nintendo #3DS for 2013 http://pic.twitter.com/9T3gn7LQA3

BQ_YHN3CMAIRC01.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Is this the promised W101 Direct? If Nintendo don't do that then Kamiya is gon' be understandably peeved..! Don't upset Kamiya-sama please.

Is this the promised W101 Direct? If Nintendo don't do that then Kamiya is gon' be understandably peeved..! Don't upset Kamiya-sama please.

It's not. It's a Global Direct with some news about titles coming this year. TW101 Direct is still on it's way I believe.

If this isn't the W101 direct, are there any murmurs as to what it could be?

Presumably, release dates on most of the games slated for this year. Maybe a number of smaller titles as well.

And maybe (big maybe) a new Smash Bros character reveal since Sakurai decided all the newcomers will receive their own trailers/videos.

• Thumbs Up 3

Obligatory Hype Train comment:

Hype-Train-TRAVIS-1_zps473e5ed1.png

I wonder what they're going to show us?

I'm hoping for some specific release dates (rather than "sometime in the month of X") and maybe some prices; some details on the Wii U Used-to-be-Summer Update and the 3DS Miiverse would be nice too.

Edited by Nix

TW101 Direct is still on it's way I believe.

It better be.

I don't mind this NDirect not focusing on 101 so long as the 101 focus hits hard soon, but after hearing that Platinum had to ask Nintendo if they could make a blog to promote the game (because Nintendo weren't doing enough to promote it) I'm worried.

"We are cancelling The Wonderful 101 in favour of something more financially sound: New Super Mario Bros 3"

a46c1942e42eb9e803cc2388606f323b.jpg

No but seriously, I'm cautiously excited.  I want to see what they have in store, but I'm prepared for it to be nothing to be excited about at the same time. Let's see what they have in store. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If we get more info on Mario & Sonic Sochi, Mario Party 3DS, and SM3DW and I'll be happy. Some release dstes would be nice too.

It'd also be great to see Yarn Yoshi in action. We haven't heard anything on that game since January.

• Thumbs Up 2

"We are cancelling The Wonderful 101 in favour of something more financially sound: New Super Mario Bros 3"

7fb58bad316ffdd8921762b747f9f836.png

(I know it's a joke but don't f around with w101 >=( )

8ddecc191e5c64a7fd9761e071c610be.png

"New details on previously announced games"

Just to prevent hopes from reaching too high.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully we get some of dat Yarn Yoshi, and a new character reveal for Smash. Also maybe another SLW trailer, some release dates for the Zelda games, and maybe more 3D World? I actually don't know what to expect this time really.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think Nintendo should be smart and announce a slight price drop (250$ for the deluxe bundle with Mario U, Pikmin 3, or Lego City) so that way they can get a head start over Microsoft/Sony and start selling systems. 

Outside of that unrealistic suggestion, I think they will announce a new character for Smash U/3ds (a new character, as they already announced Olimar is back from Brawl), show off more of 3d World, DKC: TF, and Lost World, announced release dates for there fall line up, and announce something for Mario Kart 8 (either a online enabled demo with 5 tracks and 12 characters or show off a new track or something). 

I'm thinking they are going to have a huge direct before September (after this one) to home in to the Nintendo audience that system is a good value with announce some new games (maybe potentially another project from Retro Studios and a teaser for the 3rd exclusive Sonic) and adding a account system (a must with the system being able to go full digital).

It's a fair point though, this video explains it better than I could;

It looks great at points but it's a slippery slope and I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Evidently, the fact that I think Twilight Princess is gorgeous might as well be taken as proof that I really don't care if a game's colorful or not.

Limbo's a very nice looking game btw.

• Thumbs Up 6

Limbo's style is done well, it's intentionally minimalistic and black and white to create fear and mystery like a well-made noire film (some noire films are bad bc you can't tell what's going on due to clumsy lighting for the sake of fulfilling a "style").

Most modern games with a dull style are "trying" (and failing) "to be realistic".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealIsBrown

Here I was just wondering when we'd get our next ND. :D Can't wait for this now.

Alright, then a different example.

This game is very, very pretty -

z118u4g.jpg

z12rdkt.jpg

This game is also very, very pretty - 

image_307457_fit_940.jpg

image_307460_fit_940.jpg

This particular screenshot is not. At all. Rest of the game not so much either, in my opinion - 

28103SONIC_LOST_WORLD_Wii_U_Screenshots_

Case in point - I don't think colors make or break anything. There's a lot more to visuals than that. Detail, tone, context, atmosphere, character design, and the list goes on. Xenoblade is gorgeous; as is Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker, and the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. X is also gorgeous; alongside MGS4, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider.

Color is one factor out of many.

• Thumbs Up 6

IDK Discoid, I'll take that sexy looking Wind Waker HD over Washed-Out Princess any day.