Awoo.

Nintendo Direct - Wii U/3DS [August 7, 7AM PT/4PM CEST]

Carbo

Twilight Princess looks...alright. Much prefer Wind Waker and even Skyward Sword.

Anyways, can't wait for the next Direct! I'll probably miss it though cos we're going to the beach. 8<

They'll open with a Mario game, announce release dates for the holiday titles, let everyone know about the StreetPass relay point update .. the most exciting thing that could happen would be a Smash Bros character announcement

• Thumbs Up 1

IDK Discoid, I'll take that sexy looking Wind Waker HD over Washed-Out Princess any day.

But you can't really argue that either one looks "bad". Personal preference or not. They both work wonders for their respective games. A game with a different tone needs a different artstyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

But you can't really argue that either one looks "bad". Personal preference or not. They both work wonders for their respective games. A game with a different tone needs a different artstyle.

Twilight Princess's artstyle didn't fit it's tone however. Majora's Mask was much darker yet still managed to have colour in it's artstyle. I would have appreciated the artstyle some more if Twilight Princess was actually good at being dark. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Twilight Princess's artstyle didn't fit it's tone however. Majora's Mask was much darker yet still managed to have colour in it's artstyle. 

...There are people who still say Twilight Princess didn't have any color like it's true? 

66781-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Twilight_Pr

Lake_Hylia_(Twilight_Princess).png

Also, you can't really say the art style clashes with the tone of the game when the focus is on a curse overtaking Hyrule and ruining everyone's lives. I highly doubt it looking over the top like Wind Waker would have somehow enhanced or positively affected the game in any way.

I just don't like TP's artstyle because I don't like it. It has some nice looking areas, but otherwise it doesn't do much for me.

I just don't like TP's artstyle because I don't like it. It has some nice looking areas, but otherwise it doesn't do much for me.

Which is understandable. But saying it looks bad and shouldn't have happened just because it took a different approach is outright laughable though.

Twilight Princess's artstyle didn't fit it's tone however. Majora's Mask was much darker yet still managed to have colour in it's artstyle. I would have appreciated the artstyle some more if Twilight Princess was actually good at being dark. 

Please, make a post in the Zelda topic about this, because I thought the tone fit the art style just fine.

That's perfectly fine. I'm just saying that a lack of color and contrast doesn't instantly connote an ugly game.

Replies in bold.

...There are people who still say Twilight Princess didn't have any color like it's true? 

66781-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Twilight_Pr

Lake_Hylia_(Twilight_Princess).png

​There is colour, but it's washed out colour. Doesn't look all that vibrant. 

Also, you can't really say the art style clashes with the tone of the game when the focus is on a curse overtaking Hyrule and ruining everyone's lives. I highly doubt it looking over the top like Wind Waker would have somehow enhanced or positively affected the game in any way.

Wind Waker is an extreme that I don't think would have benefited this game, yes. But could we at least have it like Ocarina Of Time or Majora's Mask, where it was realistic-ish but had less dull colours? That's one aspect of the game I think could have stood to rip off Ocarina Of Time more

The only real beef I have with Twilight Princess' art style is the way a lot of NPCs look. They're not at the series' usual level of adorable weirdness, but they're not full-on grotesque, either... they're in kind of an awkward, unappealing middle ground.

Otherwise, I don't mind it. It's not my favourite style the series has ever tried, and I really don't want to see it become the norm, but it wasn't bad. I'm just happy that Zelda is the kind of series that can support games like WW and TP, and I hope it keeps changing things up regularly.

Is it necessary for the game to be vibrant though? I mean, Ocarina and Majora weren't even much more vibrant in their original forms anyway.You could make that argument for Ocarina of Time 3D, but the original release? Nah.

I also don't understand how Twilight Princess was "bad at being dark." It's not like Link picked up a gun and started shooting aliens while shouting swear words to generic rock music.

I also don't understand how Twilight Princess was "bad at being dark." It's not like Link picked up a gun and started shooting aliens while shouting swear words to generic rock music.

Well I think the problem with Twilight Princess is that with the Twilight Realm and such, I remember reading that we were promised a "Silent Hill-like" Atmosphere. Now, I don't know about some of you guys, but I was really looking forward to that. Instead though because Nintendo wimped out and didn't want to alienate their kid audience, what we got was a dumbed down, not creepy, colorless.......reskin of the overworld. LAME.

There are still traces of TP trying to be dark/unsettling like that cutscene of Link going insane or something, but those moments are very few and far in between in a game that's still deciding on whether if it wants to be light hearted or dark.

Edited by Goldenlink64

I was actually pretty freaked out by the twilight realm, and the silent realm actually :/

But yeah, art style and colour scheme doesn't make or break a game, WW has a vibrant and colourful art style but the game can get pretty dark at times really, and it's quite an emotional adventure, but yet it works!

>Olimar confirmed out of nowhere in Smash

>Pikmin 3 comes out the next day.

>Pilotwings SNES screenshot/stage shown out of nowhere today.

>Bring on Pilotwings Wii U please, let's go.

>Bring on Pilotwings Wii U please, let's go.

Didn't Pilotwings 3DS just sort of disappear not long after the 3DS launched? Pilotwings U could happen, but it would seem a bit pointless to me.

Thing about Twilight Princess is that I feel that its art style isn't particularly well translated on the Wii's limited hardware.  I personally don't think Twilight Princess looks very good but that's more because of dated visuals.  I absolutely love TP's artwork for example and the artistic design of the game could have and would worked extremely well on an HD console such as the WiiU, but a fair bit of the beauty was lost because it was on the Wii (a similar thing can be said about Xenoblade in my opinion, though to a much lesser degree).  That Zelda tech demo before the Wii's launch in my opinion looked absolutely incredible, and the Smash 4 version of Link is by far the best he's ever looked in any game and that uses his Twilight Princess design (granted it does increase the colour and saturation of the outfit, but I feel that even if it didn't he'd still look amazing):

yjs0EHK.jpg

FXfqG2p.png

(crude example but you get the general gist)

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 4

Didn't Pilotwings 3DS just sort of disappear not long after the 3DS launched? Pilotwings U could happen, but it would seem a bit pointless to me.

I get the impression that Pilotwings didn't have much of an audience even before PW 3DS came out, so a Wii U game wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the franchise.

One thing I do think is going to happen in this Direct though is the reveal of the 4th character in DKCTF. Game's coming out later this year and that piece of info has been left in the dark all this time, this would be a prime time to reveal it and get things hyped up.

I really like the Smash 4 link because it mixes a bit of Skyward Sword, original flavor, and more vibrant colors into the TP design. I hope the next Zelda is realistic-ish, but with just as vibrant colors as Link in Smash 4. 

Klonoa 3 exclusive to Wii U

I wish

F-Zero WX coming November 2013 to Wii-U with online multiplayer 

I can wish too...............

Here we go...............

Sonic Lost World!

Edited by Chaos Warp

Lost World news off the bat

Fuck yes, Orbot and Cubot

Edited by Soniman