Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: First Cut Scene Now Online

Victoes

Yes, Kirby games are a thing that does that.........and Unleashed did it as well so yeah.....point remains.

• Thumbs Up 2

Addmitedly, Dark Gaia's transformation to Perfect Dark and his death scene was pretty fucking dark for a Sonic game.

One small factor in a game that isn't tied directly to the actual writing does not constitute a dominant dark tone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watch Eggman in that part of the scene; His body language and facial expression when the camera focuses upon him clearly shows that he's waiting for a split second when Sonic is distracted in order to press the button, he clearly exhibits opportunisticness, using his grovelling to feed Sonic's propensity for arrogant belittling and then pressing the button the second the Hedgehog is fully distracted.

It's not that I don't get what they're going for personally, cause I see your line of reasoning and the entire point you're getting at. I just take issue with how it was handled in the scene.

Wouldn't a much more feasible execution in the cutscene be that Eggman already sets the trap in motion while he's praying for mercy? Like, have it pan aside to show Eggman just slipping his finger onto the button without Sonic noticing. That way Sonic doesn't get a chance to notice that the trap around him is about to lock him up, and it'd make it seem like Sonic actually buying into it has consequences. Instead, Eggman activating it is made to be a huge deal and Sonic actually has time noticing what's going on, only he's too slow to act on it.

In fairness, Tails nearly did get murdered because Sonic didn't listen to him. Also, this is just the way that Sonic sounded, but the way he said, "I don't want YOU getting fried" or something, really made it sound like Sonic was blaming Tails for the nearly getting shot thing.

It doesn't sound like Sonic was blaming Tails for anything; he's genuinely concerned for his friend's safety and is taking responsibility for his actions. I don't really like the English writers making Tails sound like a sarcastic jerk when Sonic probably already feels bad enough about what happened.

This story staff is the best damn thing to happen to the games. Writers, voice acting, and all. I don't know what's up with this clamoring for a. a return to the bland borefest that was Unleashed, and b. "dark" elements.

No seriously. What is up with the "dark" boner?

What "dark boner?" I wasn't aware the characters having personalities and the stories being more than "Hyuck, McNosehair!" was "dark." I level more blame on the English dub side of things mostly because they take the Japanese scripts and alter them to the point that we only know they are Sonic scripts because they are in a Sonic game. Of course, maybe the Japanese need to take some flack too, since they obviously aren't putting as much effort into writing stories for Sonic like they were four/five years ago.

I don't think Tails was being a sarcastic jerk moreso than I think he was honest to God irritated at Sonic for not listening to him, Sonic did outright ignore him the entire time without even considering what he had to say. I really like how Tails is portrayed here, he's really become a more diverse character compared to before.

• Thumbs Up 6

It reminds me of the "I hate it when he ignores me" moment in Sonic Adventure, only instead of just thinking it, he's actually voicing his annoyance with Sonic's behaviour.

they grow up so fast

spiderman_crying.gif

• Thumbs Up 6

You mean that 5 seconds of dialogue that was useless to anything because Eggman could have just pressed the button the moment Sonic landed on the ground? He didn't budge an inch the entire scene. If Eggman didn't actually make a big deal out of pressing that button and Sonic was actually still smack talking while the trap was active, then maybe I'd buy what you're saying, but Sonic notices him springing that trap almost immediately. It's one hell of a scripted exchange.

So the argument that Sonic was distracted is completely moot because it's poorly scripted?

To get a bit more on-topic I am fairly optimistic that I'll prefer Sonic's portrayal over the last two games ; Sonic's traits are shown to be actually relevant rather than existing for the sole purpose of being 'funny'.

Edited by Amomynous
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic was trying to be funny in Generations? He barely talks in the game. And when he does crack a joke it's few and far between.

Edited by sonfan1984

It doesn't sound like Sonic was blaming Tails for anything; he's genuinely concerned for his friend's safety and is taking responsibility for his actions. I don't really like the English writers making Tails sound like a sarcastic jerk when Sonic probably already feels bad enough about what happened.

He got injured because Sonic didn't listen to him, Sonic feels bad about him getting hurt, but that doesn't mean that him feeling bad about it means that Tails should just let him off the hook for it, right after it happened. That just doesn't sound right.

Tails being made helpless aside, which really pissed me off.. this was a pretty good cutscene! It's nice that we actually get to see the Deadly Six turn on Eggman, and it shows us how powerful they are when controlling his Badniks. Cubot going back to his robot voice was a nice Colors reference, and the dialogue was surprisingly well written. I appreciate that they made Eggman look like he had control over the situation, and made Sonic look like an idiot by freeing the Deadly Six from his control. Lost World's story may actually turn out to be really good. I'm surprised that I'm actually looking forward to a story by the Colors writers for once.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

Eggman to be taken seriously a bit more. Eggman was great in Colours but he wasn't in any real way treated as a villain who was to be taken truly seriously. How can I when the characters don't?

Sonic always makes light of Eggman, even in supposedly "darker" games. In SA2, at the height of Eggman's master plan, Sonic's still cracking wise at Eggman; "You've turned into a big-time villain, doctoooor~" was almost certainly teasing rather than a sincere compliment, after all.

No matter how whimsical the game's tone may (or may not) be, Sonic never really takes his nemesis terribly seriously. It's just kind of how Sonic is.

In terms of how Sonic acts towards Eggman to his face, he definitely comes across as not taking the guy seriously. He always makes fun of him and dismisses his attempts at intimidation (see their confrontations in SA2, treating his giant mechs as no big deal in Sonic's victory lines in Unleashed, the scene before the Nega-Wisp Armor, etc.)

On the other hand, the way Sonic acts usually indicates he's taking him actually completely seriously. If he didn't, he probably wouldn't even bother going on adventures to stop him. Even in Colours, he pretty much immediately went to the amusement park when he found out about it. And whenever Sonic's friends are threatened, as in SA2, he pretty much drops everything to go rescue them.

Sonic was trying to be funny in Generations? He barely talks in the game. And when he does crack a joke it's few and far between.

It's not that Sonic was making jokes, it's that Sonic was the joke. His personality traits existed to be 'funny' and not relevant, granted Sonic Generations might not have been able to do much better.

Sonic always makes light of Eggman, even in supposedly "darker" games. In SA2, at the height of Eggman's master plan, Sonic's still cracking wise at Eggman; "You've turned into a big-time villain, doctoooor~" was almost certainly teasing rather than a sincere compliment, after all.

No matter how whimsical the game's tone may (or may not) be, Sonic never really takes his nemesis terribly seriously. It's just kind of how Sonic is.

Not to the extent where he treats dealing with Eggman like it's as mundane as doing the dishes.

I suppose ElementOfChaos has a point ,Sonic acts casual even though he's aware the situation itself is serious.  But more recently whilst Sonic understands Eggman is a danger to others, to him fighting Eggman is the most mundane thing in the world, and I seriously think they need tension to make Eggman a threatening villain.

Edited by Amomynous

So the argument that Sonic was distracted is completely moot because it's poorly scripted?

If it's supposed to make me believe that Sonic goofed up and doomed a planet because of him being short sighted, then sure why not

It's not that Sonic was making jokes, it's that Sonic was the joke. His personality traits existed to be 'funny' and not relevant, granted Sonic Generations might not have been able to do much better.

Sonic's awkwardness and the cheesy quality to his character in Colours is treated as a source of humor.

It doesn't work. And it certain as hell isn't an inventive or clever way to utilize him. Not by a longshot. I've seen far, far better-done ways of deriving humor from Sonic's mannerisms than what Colours and games afterwards did.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic's awkwardness and the cheesy quality to his character in Colours is treated as a source of humor.

It doesn't work. And it certain as hell isn't an inventive or clever way to utilize him. Not by a longshot. I've seen far, far better-done ways of deriving humor from Sonic's mannerisms than what Colours and games afterwards did.

Well, not like it can't work, more like it doesn't work in Colours because it's milked dry.

Edited by Amomynous

Well it's not like it can't work, more like it seems to consume him.

I should've said "Didn't"

My bad.

But yeah, it's full blown character derailment. It simply foists the character into single roles instead of varied ones and puts a stopper on character development and being a well-rounded character.

• Thumbs Up 1

He was about as much of a dork as he is in other games, the problem was the plot 1) didn't allow for his more interesting characteristics and 2) was basically "the classic games...WITH ALIENS".

As for Generations, the only time he got really cheesy was the quip just before the fight. I dunno, I thought he was pretty bearable there, if anything he didn't speak enough.

I level more blame on the English dub side of things mostly because they take the Japanese scripts and alter them to the point that we only know they are Sonic scripts because they are in a Sonic game.

But the scripts and plots have been handled by the American staff for the past few games. Just saying.

But the scripts and plots have been handled by the American staff for the past few games. Just saying.
Not exactly... The scripts are different in the US and in Japan.
  • Thumbs Up 2